PDA

View Full Version : Building Bayonetta? [3.5]

Scarlet Tropix
2010-01-21, 03:10 PM
...As you can probably tell from the title, I recently played the new Action Game Bayonetta, for the 360 and PS3.

It was extremely awesome, and now I'd like the playground's advice on what, exactly, one would have to do to create the crazy magic madness that is Bayonetta. I figure an opponent like that ought to give my players nightmares.

Preferably I'd like to not dip into epic territory, but that will do if necessary.

ErrantX
2010-01-21, 03:56 PM
I'd say some mixture of swordsage, wizard and Jade Phoenix mage, used with liberal amounts of maneuvers from the Demented One's Black Rain discipline and such. As for an actual build... I haven't a clue. That's where I'd start.

-X

The_Shaman
2010-01-21, 06:37 PM
Ok, let me start a disclaimer: I'm a PC gamer, not a console one. I've only seen trailers and a few gameplay vids at Youtube, so take everything with a grain of salt.

Tome of Battle is your friend, at least in 3E. Apart from that, just pick the right disciplines, maybe tack on a template or two, and take a whole lot of levels if you want to do everything done in the game. Swordsage is nice for lightly armored characters, but you don't need that many levels to take that benefit. Maneuver-wise, I guess swordsage is the best fit - I think many of her attacks are flurries that are thematically best represented with Tiger Claw, and shadow hand/desert sun help with maneuverability.

I'm leaning slightly towards a multiclass swordsage and either warblade or crusader. Given how many of her attacks involve summoning, I wonder if you can do an initiator/divine caster, say a Ruby Knight Vindicator build. It would be weird to imagine Lady B as a cleric at first, but she could be a cleric of a cause or some such (DL mystics would work better, but they can't turn undead, thus can't qualify for RKV levels without another base class/PrC). And while she doesn't look particularly armored, that's nothing a psychoactive skin or two can't fix. A multiclass swordsage (only 1-2 levels)/crusader/cleric/RKV could work quite well on higher levels imo.

And speaking of psychoactive, psychic warrior or ardent could work fairly well too. Then again, they work for nearly anything. Superior Unarmed strike from ToB and a little Tashalatora (Secrets of Sarlona, great for monk/psionicists) can work great for you if you like unarmed attacks, and zen archery helps with ranged attacks (as would the extra PW feats or ardent high-power disciplines).

Scarlet Tropix
2010-01-21, 07:59 PM
That makes some sense, although I get the feeling that we'll definitely lose some stuff in the transition.

I'd almost like to build a class off of it, but I'm neither sure it's needed nor that it would actually... Work.

Anyway, thanks for the help. =3

The_Shaman
2010-01-23, 06:19 PM
I'm not really fond of tailoring classes to specific characters. The way I see it, a base class should be fairly broad and represent a more or less inclusive archetype. Specialization is what PrCs are for, and individual characters can be individual builds.

I hope we could help. At the end of the day, what is important is that you have fun with that character.

9mm
2010-01-23, 07:40 PM
See Killer gnome and other ways to make illusions real, mix with Tob and Jade Pheniox mage, go to town.

AslanCross
2010-01-23, 10:04 PM
From what I've seen of the game (which is all from Youtube), UMD warlock + dual wield wands of Magic Missile.

The Black Rain homebrew discipline also works.