PDA

View Full Version : Buffing Con

Rasman
2010-01-21, 05:20 PM
I'm looking to make an 8th level Dragonfire Adept and I'm starting to look at magic items. Are there any relatively cheap magic items that give direct buffs to Con?

Douglas
2010-01-21, 05:27 PM
Besides the standard Amulet of Health (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#amuletofHealth), you mean? I doubt you're going to find anything permanent that's cheaper than that.

Tavar
2010-01-21, 05:31 PM
You might try a Dragonfire Cincture[sic] from magic item compendium. Gives another dice of damage, and as long as you wield a weapon that deals the same type of elemental damage it bumps the DC (get a couple of least energy assault crystals).

Keld Denar
2010-01-21, 05:32 PM
Not directly buffing Con, but the Dragonscale Cincture in the MIC gives you a boost to the DC of your BW. If you wield a weapon that deals energy damage, you also get an extra +1d6 to your damage. The cheapest you could get there is a masterwork weapon with a Least Energy Crystal (Fire), also in the MIC, and that would give you a weapon, that does fire damage and therefore increase your BW when you use the default fire breath.

Zaydos
2010-01-21, 05:37 PM
As above double mentioned Dragon Spirit Cincture. Tavar has it right with +1d6 damage and extra to the save DC if you use a weapon that deals that damage type. I'd advice a Red Dragonfang (bone?) weapon from the Draconomicon (+1 fire damage) and a least energy crystal of whatever type you think you'll use most often other than fire (or two or three).

Other than that Amulet of Health.

Glimbur
2010-01-21, 05:41 PM
Look in to a Dragon Spirit Cincture from MiC. It won't help your DC unless you get a weapon crystal, but it will up your damage which is nice.

Person_Man
2010-01-21, 05:42 PM
Not a magic item, but you might want to play a Dragonborn Mongrelfolk. Mongelfolk base is +4 Con ,-2 Int, -4 Cha. Dragonborn adds +2 Con, -2 Dex. LA +0.

Rasman
2010-01-21, 05:55 PM
Not a magic item, but you might want to play a Dragonborn Mongrelfolk. Mongelfolk base is +4 Con ,-2 Int, -4 Cha. Dragonborn adds +2 Con, -2 Dex. LA +0.

is Dragonborn Template in Dragon Magic or Races of the Dragon?

FMArthur
2010-01-21, 06:29 PM

Races of the Dragon. No level adjustment. What about other templates, though? I don't know many templates but I know Lolth-touched from MMIV give +6 con and a couple other goodies for LA+1. There are probably better ones out there but it's a pretty good deal for boosting Con as far as I can see. Template-stacking is probably going to be the best way to improve your Constitution.

edit: I forgot what we were talkng about momentarily. Breath Weapon only gains save DC from Con; I was thinking it would add to your damage directly, but it doesn't so maybe level adjustments would be harmful to your task. You'd be really, really tough, though!

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-21, 06:39 PM
Almost at the end of the MIC there is a table on adding improvements to your magic items... I think that for 4k gp you can add a +2 CON to any item that is on a suitable location... I think torso, waist and throat.

Brock Samson
2010-01-21, 08:37 PM
Take the Ability Focus Feat (works for this right guys?) +2 to your save DC.

All those magic items, plus be a Dragonborn Mongrelfolk... and Lolth-touched (buy off the LA if you can, if you can't it's still +6 str and +6 con, and see if you can have it be Other-God-touched if alignment issues suck).

Or.... POLYMORPH! Maybe grab a wand of it and just polymorph yourself into a creature with a high constitution score. You won't gain hit points from the con score, but your Breath Weapon should still be MUCH harder to resist.

herrhauptmann
2010-01-21, 09:33 PM
Stoneblessed 3 grants +2 con. So does Dwarf paragon 3. I know, they don't fit with what you want, but they're the only other method of Con buffs I know of that haven't been stated.

Person_Man
2010-01-22, 09:49 AM

Races of the Dragon and online (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20060105b&page=1). RoD explains that you keep your size, type, subtype, racial hit dice, ability modifiers, speed, languages, and favored class. You lose all other racial traits (bonus feats, hit points, Save bonuses, Skill bonuses, special abilities. You gain the Dragonborn ability modifiers, racial traits, and the dragonblood subtype.