PDA

View Full Version : Shielded Casting vs. Mage Slayer

Cieyrin
2010-01-21, 06:07 PM
So, another case of Immovable Object and Unstoppable Force...

Mage Slayer (CA) (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Mage_Slayer) makes it so that casters threatened cannot cast defensively. Shielded Casting (RoS) (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Shielded_Casting) makes you not provoke while casting while having a shield readied.

So, what comes out on top, here? I'm thinking Shielded Casting but counter-arguments are welcome, too. Come voice opinions with varying amounts of support and angst! =D

NEO|Phyte
2010-01-21, 06:12 PM
Shielded Casting is not casting defensively, Mage Slayer does nothing.

deuxhero
2010-01-21, 06:15 PM
Ah, the old unstopable force/immoveable object thing.

FishAreWet
2010-01-21, 06:25 PM
Shielded Casting is not casting defensively, Mage Slayer does nothing.

Yep. There is no discussion to have.

herrhauptmann
2010-01-21, 09:36 PM
So, another case of Immovable Object and Unstoppable Force...

Mage Slayer (CA) (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Mage_Slayer) makes it so that casters threatened cannot cast defensively. Shielded Casting (RoS) (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Shielded_Casting) makes you not provoke while casting while having a shield readied.

So, what comes out on top, here? I'm thinking Shielded Casting but counter-arguments are welcome, too. Come voice opinions with varying amounts of support and angst! =D

For a second there I thought they had gone and nerfed the fighters only method of nerfing the wizard. But for a wizard to nerf the mageslayer you pretty much need 3 feats (total), or 2 feats and a level dip.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-21, 09:51 PM
Five-foot step. Abrupt Jaunt. Battlefield control.

arguskos
2010-01-21, 09:56 PM
Five-foot step. Abrupt Jaunt. Battlefield control.
Reach weaponry. Dimensional Anchor. Swordsages. :smalltongue:

Anyways, I'd go with FishAreWet and say there's no discussion, since Shielded isn't casting defensively at all.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-21, 10:15 PM
Well, between those and Mage Slayer, I reckon there's more than one way for a fighter to nerf a wizard.

Signmaker
2010-01-21, 10:31 PM
Well, between those and Mage Slayer, I reckon there's more than one way for a fighter to nerf a wizard.

If we're talking about "Hold still, I want to thwack you with a sword"?

Mage Slayer, Dimensional Lock, Thicket of Blades will help, but none of those stop, say, a quickened spell. Or burrowing, if we're talking about ground movement.

It more or less becomes a rock paper scissors on who has what.

Person_Man
2010-01-22, 10:32 AM
Bulwark of Antimagic: A +1 tower shield with an 1/day Anti-Magic Field. Draconomicon pg 118.

I would add that beyond Mage Slayer and (the more important) Pierce Magical Concealment, all you really need is a decent To-Hit, Saves, hit points, and damage output. Your goal should not be to cover every contingency against casters. That's pointless, as your DM can always dream up some new contingency in order to challenge you. So do what you can to be strong against casters, then move on to another combo that interests you.

Roderick_BR
2010-01-22, 11:02 AM
Reach weaponry. Dimensional Anchor. Swordsages. :smalltongue:

Anyways, I'd go with FishAreWet and say there's no discussion, since Shielded isn't casting defensively at all.
Rech weapons can work. Point. Except that you can still use a whole move action to retreat (yes, that AoO will be a bitch, but it's escapable), then use his default action (or swift), and still spell doom on the poor fighter.

Dimensional Anchor is a wizard thing. You are relying in magic itens made by another wizard, therefore it's still wizard vs wizard thing.

Swordsage is not a fighter. He uses a different kind of special attacks/powers, so almost every other meeler is still nerfed.

@herrhauptmann: That feats is more for clerics. Yes, costs 2 feats still, but you never need to worry about AoO for casting too close again. Even against epic fighters.