PDA

View Full Version : Inherited Templates (D&D 3.5)

Halna LeGavilk
2010-01-21, 07:49 PM
If you applying more than one inherited template to a creature, which comes first? For example, Half-Dragon and Feral? Half-Dragon changes the creature to Dragon, but Feral requires a humanoid or monstrous humanoid.

I have a really good character idea which involves a Feral Half-Dragon Ogre Monk, using the Beast Strike feat and other boosters.

Drakevarg
2010-01-21, 07:52 PM
I'm generally under the impression that they go in "whichever order is most convienient."

Runestar
2010-01-21, 07:53 PM
Ogre is a giant, so you still can't apply the feral template anyways.

Halna LeGavilk
2010-01-21, 08:15 PM
Crap, that's right. Darn. I guess I'll be going with the Winged Feral Human than.

Runestar
2010-01-21, 08:58 PM
And end up with a vastly over-cr'ed foe? I think not.

Anyways, just replace ogre with minotaur and you are good to go.

Thurbane
2010-01-21, 09:40 PM
Savage Species (3.0) sets out an order of precedence for templates. Don't have it handy at the moment...

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-21, 09:50 PM
The pyramid is about creature types, and does not dictate the order in which you must apply templates

That being said...
The Type Pyramid has 7 ranks.
1) Animal, Humanoid, Vermin.
2) Magical Beast, Monstrous Humanoid
3) Fey, Giant
4) Dragon, Humanoid (Shapechanger)
5) Aberration
6) Elemental, Ooze, Plant
7) Construct, Outsider, Undead

If you apply a template to a creature, and that template would change the creature's type to a type on a lower rank, then the creature's type does not change. For example, if you take a black pudding, and give it the half-dragon template, its type is still Ooze.

Suppose you have a human (first rank). You make it Feral, turning it into a monstrous humanoid (second rank). You then make it a half-dragon, turning it into a Dragon (fourth rank). You then make it a Gelatinous creature, turning it into an Aberration (fifth rank). It then becomes a Spectral creature, making it Undead (seventh rank).

There are exceptions, such as Incarnate Construct.

Bibliomancer
2010-01-21, 09:52 PM
That being said...
The Type Pyramid has 7 ranks.
1) Animal, Humanoid, Vermin.
2) Magical Beast, Monstrous Humanoid
3) Fey, Giant
4) Dragon, Humanoid (Shapechanger)
5) Aberration
6) Elemental, Ooze, Plant
7) Construct, Outsider, Undead

If you apply a template to a creature, and that template would change the creature's type to a type on a lower rank, then the creature's type does not change. For example, if you take a black pudding, and give it the half-dragon template, its type is still Ooze.

Suppose you have a human (first rank). You make it Feral, turning it into a monstrous humanoid (second rank). You then make it a half-dragon, turning it into a Dragon (fourth rank). You then make it a Gelatinous creature, turning it into an Aberration (fifth rank). It then becomes a Spectral creature, making it Undead (seventh rank).

There are exceptions, such as Incarnate Construct.

Interesting. Does the book mention in which order templates are applied to this process, or is it assumed that it is in whichever order is most convenient?

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-21, 10:11 PM
The pyramid is about creature types, and does not dictate the order in which you must apply templates

As long as you don't disqualify yourself for a given template, you choose whatever order you like.