PDA

View Full Version : Help me flesh out the Kobold Overlord's minions[3.5]

Dyllan
2010-01-21, 07:58 PM
Alright, I have a Level 20 Kobold Fighter who has been granted a boon of immortality (the never age or die of natural causes type, not the can't be killed type). He has an artifact the party wants.

All that's definite is that he's on a different plane than his birth plane, and has become a tyrant on that plane, leading an army of Dragons and Dragon-related creatures. I haven't even nailed down what world they're in. So, I'm looking for suggestions for game worlds to set it in. I'm also looking for suggestions and/or stat blocks for creatures that are in his army. Maps for his home (whether it be a castle, a cave complex, or whatever)... pretty much anything would help.

My thought is that the party will arrive on the plane, ask around and learn that there are plenty of people who would love to see this tyrant dead, but no one powerful enough to do it (except the party). I expect the party to be level 14-15 when they arrive, and this can take as long as necessary (long quest or short). So long as the party isn't higher than level 16-17 when it's over.

Narazil
2010-01-21, 08:08 PM
Don't give him too many powerful minions. If he's a tyrant, his minions would possibly rebel against him. And if his minions are Dragons, he's screwed. He might be level 20, but almost all Dragons are spellcasters, and even one decently aged Dragon would be a major challenge to the Kobold.

Dyllan
2010-01-21, 08:30 PM
Good point about powerful minions. But I've thought it out more to make it work.

First off, I'm going to make him a half-dragon. The story being that he performed horrible experiments on good dragons until he learned how to alter himself. Since then, he's started enslaving non-draconic races and killing good dragons, but creating a paradise for evil dragons and evil draconic races. So all his followers will be evil dragons and evil draconic creatures. So, the evil dragons enjoy his rule and have no reason to rebel against him. And no one else has the power to do so.

I also had an idea for the intro. The party plane shifts into the middle of a slum... slave area of a large city. They stand out, as they have tons of magical gear, instead of rags. One slave approaches them... long story short, he's a good dragon who's been living as an elf slave for hundreds of years. A divination showed him that strangers would come to this town to free their world of the Dragonlord (name subject to change if you have a better idea) and he has been waiting. So, the party ends up working with a network of good dragons - who risk their lives in a foolhardy attack on the Dragonlord's citadel so the party go make their way in and slay him.

Still not sure what world to set it in. Although I suppose it can be joe-random material plane... Hmmm... maybe I should set it in the world of Dragon Warrior. :-)

Lysander
2010-01-21, 08:50 PM
Perhaps to handle the question of why evil dragons obey his rule, make it that they don't actually serve him. He's their liaison to the non-dragons. They want something from anyone else, they ask him for it, and he brutally gets it for them. In return they support his rule and provide the necessary firepower to back it up. It's a symbiotic relationship.

Maybe his army isn't even that large compared to the number of people that would like to overthrow him. It's just that if there was ever a serious rebellion the evil dragons would join in on his side. Day to day he probably doesn't interact with them that much.

If this was the case it'd actually make sense that they granted him immortality. They wouldn't want to replace their liaison every few decades.

Boci
2010-01-21, 08:59 PM
1st level warlocks and DFA adepts should be able to do a couple of points of daamge. Not much, but noticable if there are 10+ 0f them.

Paladin of X can debuff/buff from level 3 with their auras, as can dragon shamen from level 1.

Hexblade with a dark companion if also okay.

Low level wizards can laso contribute.

Alsao, are you using races of the dragon?

Dyllan
2010-01-21, 09:03 PM
His immortality is from another source. But I do like the idea of him being a liason between dragons and non dragons. He could have his own personal dragon (I like the idea of him riding a dragon), but not an army of them. But half-dragons and other draconic races could serve him directly.

And yes, I have the Draconomicon and Races of the Dragon I can pull stuff from.

Doomboy911
2010-01-21, 09:51 PM
You could have some half-dragon generals be mistreating a few of the lesser soldiers who quit and become outlaws. They only wish to go back to there normal lives so they'd be sent to deliver messages to the soldier's family who live in different parts of the town. The group is forced to split up to deliver the messages and one gets caught.They finally decide to help the people and head after the immortal guy. Maybe the whole city goes at war with itself and they must find the generals to grab keys from them to open the door to get to the kobold.