PDA

View Full Version : mind mage and lots of everything

faceroll
2010-01-21, 09:22 PM
I recently acquired DR 313 on a 3.5 purchasing spree, and it has this sweet dual progression manifester/arcane casting prestige class called the mind mage. It loses two levels on both sides of the progression, and requires you to lose another 2 levels of wizard casting and one level of manifesting to get in. Normally, this is a sin, but I think I found a way around this being a problem.

First, here's the build:
wizard1/psion 3/ cerebremancer 2/mindmage 5

You are level 11, and you cast as a 6th level wizard and an 8th level psion.

The first step to some real ultimate power is to cast dweomer of transference on yourself. It's a 4th level spell, but you can use the mind mage's fifth level ability to spend 3 power points and prepare it in a 3rd level spell slot. While you're at it, put a mnemonic enhancer in a 3rd level spell slot the same way.

Now cast the dweomer and use your second level mind mage ability to spend 18 power points to persist it. Spam a bunch of spell effects into it. A wand or a warlock friend, or, if you can do it, use the spell Extended Charge, from the Complete Book of Eldritch Might, which lets you cast spells from a wand without using charges. After you are all juiced up on power points, cast your mnemonic enhancer and prepare 6 level 0 spell slots, which you then fill with mnemonic enhancers using the 5th level ability, and cast those to get more spell slots which you then.... Well, you get the picture.

So now we've got ninth level spells in 0 level spell slots, and more power points & spell slots than we can use. What next? The only real use I can see out of sacrificing all those spells would be to a) turn into a worm that walks and b) mitigating epic magic by a lot.

FishAreWet
2010-01-21, 09:30 PM
Loosely related to the thread, mostly just responding because Mind Mage makes me hard.

I've decided to give this another go by just asking Ur-Priest use. (you only need to cheese entry, the class progresses any spellcasting)

Savage Barb 1/ Wizard 1/ Telepath 5/Ur Priest 1/ Psionic Theurge 2/ Mind Mage 10

This will leave you with 8th level powers(ML 25) and 9th level spells (CL 34).

You can basically persist anything you want and if you take Psiotheurgist for Transmutation you'll end up with CL 59. Which, when combined with Power Shards, will make Vigor grant 780HP and Biofeedback grant DR 54/-. Both of which you share with your familiar and psicrystal.

Infact, just look at this thread (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6654.0) for Mind Mage silliness.

This PrC can very easily end with "so good they're unplayable" characters.

faceroll
2010-01-21, 09:45 PM
No one on that thread sees how the 7th level ability (my bad, not 5th) makes it so you never really need more than 3rd level arcane spells (for entry requirements) if you do wizard casting, since you just prepare all your high level spells in low level spell slots.

I'm pretty sure that works, due to the wording on how wizards learn, know, and prepare spells. A level 1 wizard with a good spellcraft check can add a level 9 spell to his spellbook, and now "knows" it. He can prepare any spell he knows if he has a spell slot of the same or higher level, and he can use his 7th level ability to reduce the spell slot of any spell he knows by paying it off in power points. Therefore, he can prepare and cast 9th level spells, albeit as 3rd level or lower effects (not that this matters with heighten spell and metamagic reduction), from his low level slots.