PDA

View Full Version : Synergy between NPCs in a Squad-centric setting.

Galthromir
2010-01-21, 09:51 PM
Hello all,

I'm running a 3.5 campaign in an FR setting and I've decided to give each of my 5 players a small squad to command as a result of selling themselves to a nation's army. Each player will have 3 NPCs to command, and I'm wondering what you all would recommend their setups be to promote an environment where coordination between squads is heavily emphasized. I should also note that only one of these players has played extensively before.

The PCs at the moment are 6th level, and my rough idea for squad setups is as follows.

Sorc. PC

DFA
Warlock
Wiz.

Rogue PC

Rogue
Rogue
Rogue

Warblade PC

Fighter
Fighter
Fighter

Druid PC (This player knows his stuff, and in hindsight, I probably shouldn't have let him play a druid :smallfrown:)

RNG
RNG
RNG

Swordsage PC

BRD
PLD (fallen)
CLR

Any advice you can lend on this matter would be greatly appreciated :smallsmile:

tahu88810
2010-01-21, 09:53 PM
Wizard is a nono. You don't need to cooperate with anyone if you're a wizard.

Galthromir
2010-01-21, 09:58 PM
The NPCs are going to be quite lower level than the players, and the person playing the Sorc is new, and thus plays the blaster caster.

Runestar
2010-01-21, 10:17 PM
I would try to keep the npcs simple, to prevent the game from getting bogged down.

For the warblade PC, if he has white raven maneuvers, a few lower lv PC fighters will likely do well, though you may want to give them mostly passive feats so they don't become too complex to play.

I am thinking a beguiler may complete the rogue squad well. Glitterdusts for enabling sneak attacks and creating diversions with illusions. A little magical support in any party goes a long way.