PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Make me some Premade Characters

Pink
2010-01-21, 10:42 PM
Hello Playground, I have a request for you.

In a couple weeks, two relatives of a member of my group are going to be visiting. They've heard that the group plays regularly on our friday nights, and have apparently been quite jealous. The request has been made that, when they're visiting, I take a break from our normal campaign to do a one-shot dungeon-crawl or quest, so that the visiting relatives can play. This is quite agreeable to me, however, for a one-shot, I'd like to have premade characters ready so that we don't need to worry about that, and it gives all the players a chance to try something out for a night.

However, I do not have as much time as I'd like, and will still need to prep this one-shot, as well as the regular campaign until then. So, since I know the playground is full of people who are kind and generous and love D&D and making characters, I'm asking, will you make some premade characters for me?

It'll be fourth level, core only, 32 standard point buy, take 3/4 HP (round down), standard wealth. Ideally I'd like one premade for each of the base classes (feel free to call dibs on a specific sheet so that the workload can be spread around.). No Multiclassing, and this is not asking for optimized characters, something decent with a fun feel to it is what I ask for.

I would ask that for preparing spell casters, a 'standard operating procedure' be made. I'd also like to ask for a small amount of flavour and character definition, something that might inspire a person on how to play that character. If you want to go over and above, a cheat sheet that has the text on special abilities, feats, items, and spells would be ideal, something I could hand out to someone so they don't have to search through a book for things, but that could be asking too much.

It's worth mentioning that one of the visitors has not played D&D before, and one of my players is rather new at it herself, so nothing too overly complicated please, however they are gamers so they should be fairly quick on the uptake.

So, what do you say? Can some people help me out?

Tanaric
2010-01-21, 10:44 PM
Is material in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/) included in the statement of "core only", or is it the PHB, DMG, and MM I only?

Pink
2010-01-21, 10:45 PM
PHB and such only. Sorry, not including the psionics or unearthed arcana stuff in this.

Runestar
2010-01-21, 11:04 PM
Is there a particular character sheet or template you would like us to help fill out so you don't need to do duplicate work?

It has been a while since I last played dnd, but I don't mind statting out a half-orc barb, though I would like the opportunity to use either extra rage (not core, but simply allows 2 extra rages) or the berserker strength variant in PHB2. Plus as a 1-shot, I don't it is necessary to include every last bit of info.

No problems if you wish to stick strictly to core though.

Pink
2010-01-21, 11:12 PM
I would like to keep it core for simplicity reasons.

As for a template, as long as it can print out neat, it's fine. If you are going to make a cheat sheet though, maybe putting it in a .doc would be better.

http://www.shonuffstudios.com/gothmoor/profiler or myth-weavers look like they print out relatively fine. Just make sure it's public.

Grumman
2010-01-21, 11:40 PM
Pity, I was thinking something like Dragon Shaman would be both cool and easy to learn: who doesn't like breathing fire at people?

Glyphic
2010-01-21, 11:48 PM
Here I am, with love's labor to aid the virtuous.

Behold, Lyra, the servant and priest of Amauator. (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=180743)

Also: Pink, if you're interested in a Play by post game, please let me know. I might have something for you. :smallsmile:

Starbuck_II
2010-01-21, 11:48 PM
Is LA acceptable (as long as ECL is 4) for a character? Like a 1/2 Dragon Monk or a Duergar?

I can have it by tomorrow more than likely.

Pink
2010-01-21, 11:54 PM
Not anything with more than a +1 LA, A level 2 character in a level 4 game is quite gimped. And even with a +1 LA, please keep it something that could still be part of a heroic group of adventurers.

It should also be mentioned no Evil aligned characters please.

Glyphic: That's wonderful, danke danke, and totally send me a PM about this game you speak of :P

Temotei
2010-01-21, 11:56 PM
The fighter (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=33963).

Runestar
2010-01-21, 11:56 PM
Here's mine, a half-orc barb4.
http://www.shonuffstudios.com/gothmoor/profiler/view.php?id=422

I am not sure how to efficiently reflect the benefits of rage though, so you may want to keep that in mind for a player. Any tips?

Temotei
2010-01-21, 11:57 PM

I am not sure how to efficiently reflect the benefits of rage though, so you may want to keep that in mind for a player. Any tips?

Not public.

Pink
2010-01-21, 11:58 PM
Runestar: you need to apply public permission so I can see the sheet.

As for applying rage, assuming you didn't buy stat increases, there should be a temporary stat column. Maybe put rage stats there?

Runestar
2010-01-22, 12:08 AM
Made public.

The temp stat column appears to apply to all relevant modifiers. It would help if you could edit it at that moment, but does not seem suitable if you are printing it out for use beforehand.:smallmad:

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-22, 12:11 AM
Sorcerer. Cha 18, Con 14, Dex 14, do whatever you want with the rest.

1st level spells: Grease, Ray of Enfeeblement, Magic Missile

2nd level spells: Glitterdust

Temotei
2010-01-22, 12:16 AM
Do you want the ranger to have the Two-Weapon Fighting feat tree or the ranged weapon feat tree?

Oh. I call the ranger.

Pink
2010-01-22, 12:42 AM
temotei: honestly, up to the creator. I imagine range probably works better to differentiate it from the other meleers, but really doesn't matter to me. You may want to leave favoured enemy blank though.

Also, I can't say thank you enough to the amazingly quick sheets that have popped up already.

Temotei
2010-01-22, 12:57 AM
temotei: honestly, up to the creator. I imagine range probably works better to differentiate it from the other meleers, but really doesn't matter to me. You may want to leave favoured enemy blank though.

Also, I can't say thank you enough to the amazingly quick sheets that have popped up already.

Almost done. I'm choosing equipment now. Favored enemy is blank. Ranged weapon feats chosen.

Does the animal companion get 3/4 hit points as well?

Temotei
2010-01-22, 01:15 AM
The ranger (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=33965).

Pink
2010-01-22, 01:18 AM
Use standard monster manual HP for animal companions please and thank you :smallbiggrin:

Draz74
2010-01-22, 01:28 AM
The fighter (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=33963).

Um. A level 4 Human Fighter should have 6 feats, not 4. And there's no such thing as a Flaming Greatsword. It has to have a +1 bonus before it can be Flaming ... and a Level 4 character can't afford a +1 Flaming weapon yet.

Temotei
2010-01-22, 01:32 AM
Um. A level 4 Human Fighter should have 6 feats, not 4. And there's no such thing as a Flaming Greatsword. It has to have a +1 bonus before it can be Flaming ... and a Level 4 character can't afford a +1 Flaming weapon yet.

Oops on the feats.

On weapons: That's my houserule speaking. Sorry about that. We have it so it doesn't require you to have an enhancement bonus to have an enchantment. It hardly raises the power level, so there's not much problematic about it...I'll change it though.

The fighter now has more options in combat. The weapon is +1 now.

The ranger's bow has been changed from frost to +1. The arrows are nonmagical, but the scimitar is magical.

Kosjsjach
2010-01-22, 01:43 AM
...That's my houserule speaking. Sorry about that. We have it so it doesn't require you to have an enhancement bonus to have an enchantment. It hardly raises the power level, so there's not much problematic about it...I'll change it though.

"Hardly raises the power level", eh? :smallamused: Tell that to whoever's on the receiving end of a Bane weapon or somethingsuch. Consider: A regular +1 enhancement is a +1 to attack, +1 to damage, and is a normal prerequisite to applying special abilities. A masterwork weapon already has the +1 to hit, so you're trading away an extra point of damage for Ghost Touch, Bane, Flaming, or any such ability, and making such things available alot earlier in the adventurer's career. It is a tangible raise in power level. Not necessarily a bad or unwelcome one, but it ain't insignificant.

*cough* Anyway. Pink, are you looking for archetypes? Elf wizard, gnome bard, etc.? (There's already a half-orc barbarian, god job btw Runestar.)

Pink
2010-01-22, 01:47 AM
It would be nice to showcase some of the different core races, if arch-types is how that is needed to be done, so be it.

Also, nice catch by Draz.

Temotei
2010-01-22, 01:47 AM
"Hardly raises the power level", eh? :smallamused: Tell that to whoever's on the receiving end of a Bane weapon or somethingsuch. Consider: A regular +1 enhancement is a +1 to attack, +1 to damage, and is a normal prerequisite to applying special abilities. A masterwork weapon already has the +1 to hit, so you're trading away an extra point of damage for Ghost Touch, Bane, Flaming, or any such ability. It is a tangible raise in power level. Not necessarily a bad or unwelcome one, but it ain't insignificant.

*cough* Anyway. Pink, are you looking for archetypes? Elf wizard, gnome bard? (There's already a half-orc barbarian, god job btw Runestar.)

My point is that an average increase of 2.5 damage isn't that much. That's slightly more than Weapon Specialization (an awful feat).

Bane is useful against one type of enemy.

Ghost touch is useful when you're fighting ethereal things...I'll give you that.

Tangible, but not significant. By "hardly raise the power level," I mean that it barely makes the encounters easier. Since the DM compensates, we get tougher encounters, but better weapons/armor. Also, we usually get magic items later than most would. Level 6 -- one +1 item (1,000 - 2,000 gp + item cost).

Temotei
2010-01-22, 01:49 AM

Ring of Protection +? It should be +1. That's all I could see. :smallsmile:

Nice take on the PHB guy.

Kosjsjach
2010-01-22, 02:08 AM
My point is that an average increase of 2.5 damage isn't that much. That's slightly more than Weapon Specialization (an awful feat).

Bane is useful against one type of enemy.

Ghost touch is useful when you're fighting ethereal things...I'll give you that.

Tangible, but not significant. By "hardly raise the power level," I mean that it barely makes the encounters easier. Since the DM compensates, we get tougher encounters, but better weapons/armor. Also, we usually get magic items later than most would. Level 6 -- one +1 item (1,000 - 2,000 gp + item cost).

I'm not trying to derail the thread, really I'm not, but I gotta disagree.

Yes, Bane is only useful against one enemy, but throwing it on ammunition at (with your system) +40gp makes a difference.

Spell Storing is another core +1 ability, and one easily used to great benefit (or detriment, depending). Keen can be a big deal.

Looked at another way: normally using WBL, a weapon with a +1 ability (priced as a +2 weapon) costs an additional 8'300gp. That's only possible at ECL 5 and only feasible around 8th (while the Magic Item Compendium lists a +2 weapon as a 11th-level item).

By contrast, a +1 weapon is classified as a 6th-level item.

It's fine that your game does it differently, and it's great that your DM tailors your encounters accordingly. But I'll say it again: it is significant. :smallsmile:

Jergmo
2010-01-22, 02:12 AM
Dibs on the rogue!

Temotei
2010-01-22, 02:27 AM
I'm not trying to derail the thread, really I'm not, but I gotta disagree.

Yes, Bane is only useful against one enemy, but throwing it on ammunition at (with your system) +40gp makes a difference.

Spell Storing is another core +1 ability, and one easily used to great benefit (or detriment, depending). Keen can be a big deal.

Looked at another way: normally using WBL, a weapon with a +1 ability (priced as a +2 weapon) costs an additional 8'300gp. That's only possible at ECL 5 and only feasible around 8th (while the Magic Item Compendium lists a +2 weapon as a 11th-level item).

By contrast, a +1 weapon is classified as a 6th-level item.

It's fine that your game does it differently, and it's great that your DM tailors your encounters accordingly. But I'll say it again: it is significant. :smallsmile:

Huh. It's funny how much a difference DM style can make. :smallsmile:

On topic: The fighter and ranger are completely done and fixed.

That means we have a barbarian, [bard=not done], [cleric=not done], [druid=not done], fighter, [monk=not done], paladin, ranger, [rogue=not done], [sorcerer=not printable], [wizard=not done].

I might do the bard.

Kosjsjach
2010-01-22, 02:43 AM
If we want to show off the core races too, we should probably factor them in.

If Jergmo wouldn't mind, the Rogue should probably be a halfling (which isn't a bad idea anyway).
The only good way you're gonna get some utility out of the half-elf is to make him the Bard.
Paladin's done but Cleric's still open, and since Fighter's full, the dwarf wouldn't be bad for the Cleric.
If the Monster Manual I counts in your definition of Core, I think I'd like to make a Forest Gnome Druid. :smallsmile:
The elf is typically the Wizard race, but that isn't really supported mechanically... maybe a Wood Elf Ranger? No, Ranger's taken and done...

That leaves Wizard (perhaps gnome illusionist?), Monk, and Sorcerer.

I'll throw together a forest gnome druid. Any thoughts on the race-class pairings?

EDIT: it occurred to me that it's probably a good idea to make the wizard an illusionist anyway since it'll force the player to deal with situations in a non-blaster-y fashion (which is one's natural inclination when playing a wizard for the first time).

Jergmo
2010-01-22, 02:45 AM
If we want to show off the core races too, we should probably factor them in.

If Jergmo wouldn't mind, the Rogue should probably be a halfling (which isn't a bad idea anyway).

Ehnn...I already had him set up as a human. The bonus feat is required for the build I have.

Temotei
2010-01-22, 02:49 AM
I'll make the bard a half-elf tomorrow.

I can make the monk too. I'll make him/her...half-orc. Unless you have suggestions. :smallcool:

Kosjsjach
2010-01-22, 02:49 AM
Ehnn...I already had him set up as a human. The bonus feat is required for the build I have.

Shame. Maybe a halfling sorcerer...? I dunno. Gotta admit, I'm a li'l deflated now. :smalltongue:

Temotei
2010-01-22, 02:51 AM
Shame. Maybe a halfling sorcerer...? I dunno. Gotta admit, I'm a li'l deflated now. :smalltongue:

Make a kobold! Or a goblin. :smallbiggrin:

Jergmo
2010-01-22, 03:05 AM
Speaking of halflings, has anyone noticed that they end up with a net -5 to jump?

-6 from 10 ft. below 30., -1 for -2 Str, +2 for racial skills.

Here's The Rogue (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=33968), by the way!

Kosjsjach
2010-01-22, 03:05 AM
Heh, Core-only severely limits the power potential, but I can never say no to the idea of a kobold sorcerer. Sadly, I'll leave the decision (and statting) to someone else.

I'm also going to give up my claim to the forest gnome druid. I never tried to make one and I just liked the flavor, but it turns out I'm no good at druids. Sorry.

Kosjsjach
2010-01-22, 03:12 AM
Here's The Rogue (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=33968), by the way!

That's one charismatic rogue you got there. I like 'im. Not where I would've gone, but I like it anyway.

...Aaaaand I'll stop reviewing other people's characters. It's not my place, especially since I haven't contributed any of my own.

Jergmo
2010-01-22, 03:14 AM
Side note: I'd just like to note that the rogue would make a nifty evasion tank.

+3 Dex AC, +5 from +1 Mithral chain shirt, up to +3 from Combat Expertise, +3 from fighting defensively instead of +2 or +6 during Total Defense instead of +4.

A max AC of 27 without any environmental modifiers. A polar bear or rhinoceros (CR 4) would have to roll a 14 or better when doing total defense, and they have the highest +attack for their CR.

Edit: Okay, I just realized that durr, Combat Expertise wouldn't stack with total defense. Still...it'd do decently. :smallredface:

Runestar
2010-01-22, 05:17 AM
Human Sorc is done.

http://www.shonuffstudios.com/gothmoor/profiler/view.php?id=423

Note that I went the direct damage route, with a dash of SoD (sleep). I know glitterdust is more useful, but I though a newcomer might enjoy blasting more. Still, you can always swap it out if you think out spells suit the party better.

Toad+toughness there to give him more survivability, skill focus+combat casting for auto-success on any attempt at casting defensively (so you don't even need to waste time rolling).

It was designed with a 1-shot adventure in mind, with little emphasis placed on future advancement, hence the sub-optimal choice of feats.

Again, let me know if there are any errors, I will try to correct it ASAP. :smallsmile:

Jergmo
2010-01-22, 05:30 AM
Again, let me know if there are any errors, I will try to correct it ASAP. :smallsmile:

One feat too many.

1 for 1st level, 1 for human, 1 for third.

Runestar
2010-01-22, 05:40 AM
I keep statting them with E6 in mind. :sigh:

Removed toughness.

Starbuck_II
2010-01-22, 08:23 AM
I'm working on Cleric: almost done. Doing magic items.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-22, 08:56 AM
Wizard Done (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=7996).

I deliberately left about 850gp open, in case said player wanted a scroll or two of his own choosing, to round out the repertoire.

Conjuration focused, with a hint of illusion.

Runestar
2010-01-22, 09:04 AM
Is it too late to request the party paladin or cleric carry around a wand of CLW around, since my PCs evidently don't have any form of ready healing available? :smalltongue:

Ernir
2010-01-22, 09:56 AM
Here, a Paladin. (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=33975). You can have it.

Rough outline: A woefully stereotypical knight in-shining-armor, Siggi is a devout follower of Pelor/your pantheon's Most Good God. He fights injustice and sin everywhere, and has taken a vow of chastity to prove his resolve.
Siggi doesn't know why spells sometimes don't affect him, and why miraculous things (his Paladin spells) sometimes happen around him. But surely, it is a sign of him having received Most Good God's blessing.
He is curious. He asks a lot of questions. To others, they appear to be very stupid questions, and they tend to be right.

Siggi grew up among Clerics, and never knew his parents. But he has a vague memory of his mother being a swan. Can't be that odd. Lots of people have mothers like that, right?

Unbeknownst to the player:Siggi is the spawn of a one-night stand between a fertility goddess and a devil. The goddess keeps an eye out for her unfortunate offspring, and is the actual source of all his Divine powers. Most Good God actually doesn't want anything to do with the idiot.

This isn't my character, by the way. It was assigned to me in a rather silly LARP.
And it's the most fun I've ever had LARPing. :smallbiggrin:

Starbuck_II
2010-01-22, 11:00 AM
Level 3 Duergar Cleric done: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=180745

He is a True Neutral follower of the god of Travel.
He is a Duergar, but not evil after converting to the god (he hates Ladugeur, god of Duergar for his curse).
He is beardless (his curse). He is, however, covered in hair from arm to arm, body to leg. Think of a Wookie minus bare face + bald head. He shaves everyday, but it grows back in the night.
He uses a Heavy pick (from his old miner days).

He uses Armor of Rage (this leaves him with 1 Charisma so no turning).

Temotei
2010-01-22, 04:50 PM
The bard (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=33984).

Some leftover gold can be spent on items.

And...that's all I'm going to make. Someone else can take the monk.

Starbuck_II
2010-01-22, 05:02 PM
Aasimar Monk: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=180890

Str based with a some Wisdom.

dariathalon
2010-01-22, 11:50 PM
Here's a fairly standard elven druid (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=180769) if you still need one.

And an aasimar monk (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=180966) as well.

I didn't include anything in the way of background. I figure with a one shot, it's unlikely to come up too much anyway. And it would probably be more fun for the players to come up with their own personalities etc. for the characters.

Kol Korran
2010-01-23, 04:57 AM
damn, i was working on a cleric and didn't notice someone took up the job.
any way, one more can't hurt, right? i give you Arduk the half orc cleric of Kord (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=180818)

a few notes though:
- i focused on fun and simple, not necesserily optimized.
- i gave a very short background, in order to give the player more freedom with it. i went a bit more into personality in order to show how i see Arduk. the player can of course disregard this.
- in the notes section there's the "cheat sheet" sort to speak- an explenation of abilities and options. most things are there i believe. if i forgot somethin, let me know and i'll fix it.

hope you enjoy, and OP- please let us know how the one shot turned out to be, which characters were chosen and how they fared.

this has been fun, long time since i made a player character.
Kol.