PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Gnoll Warrior Build Help... Again.

Drakevarg
2010-01-22, 12:04 AM
I'd recently asked for advice on a build for my Gnoll character, whom I wanted to be a straight martial character. However, the initial thread worked under the assumption that he was Chaotic Neutral. Then, I got curious, posted a character analysis thread, and figured out he was Lawful Evil. Whoops. Beeeg difference.

So, here's the gist of it; Level 2 character, 2/3rds of the way through the Gnoll's ECL. No class levels yet. Only Feat is Endurance.

Abilites:
STR 21
DEX 10
CON 20
INT 13
WIS 15
CHA 6

Campaign setting is arctic, mix of mountains and tundra. Planned weapon combo is dwarven waraxe and maul, either wielding whichever suits the scenario best (carrying both mostly to overcome undead DRs) or duel wielding them.

The rest of the party includes:

Chaotic Neutral Elf Ranger (Archer)
Chaotic Good Aasimar Cleric of Pelor
Chaotic Neutral Aasimar Sorcerer (Probably Blaster)
Chaotic Neutral Drow Sorcerer
[Chaotic ???] Human Fighter (Scythe, Trip Specialization)

Yes, I've noticed I'm the only character who's Lawful, but I'm also the only one who's had a character analysis. We'll see how they turn out. :smallamused:

So yeah, which base class (Ranger or Fighter, most likely...) and which Prestige Class? If I had to choose virtues, I'd say to make him damn near unkillable, then after that focus on hitting back just as hard.

Available Books are:
Players Handbook
Dungeon Master's Guide
Monster Manual
Libris Mortis
Draconomicon
Silence and Song
Masters of the Wild
Complete Warrior

Please do not bother suggesting anything from any other book, as I dislike using material from books I don't have in meatspace. Thanks ahead of time.

Drakevarg
2010-01-22, 01:51 AM
And one more thing:

Is Large Maul + Large Dwarven Waraxe (oxymoron, I know) + Monkey Grip + Two Weapon Fighting excessive?

Admittedly it'd take 4 feats to pull off, but damn if it wouldn't look cool.

Stephen_E
2010-01-22, 04:39 AM
Putting aside the alignment issue.

Mechanically given that you are looking at Ranger of Fighter, and given your stats, I'd suggest you go for 1 of the following weapon styles from Comp Warrior.
Anvil of Thunder, Hammers Edge or Three Mountains.
All of these require saves on the part of the opponent = 10 + 1/2 character lev + Str bonus.

Anvil of Thunder - prereqs
Improved Sunder, Power Attack, 2WF, Weapon Focus x2
You take 2 levels of Ranger for 2WF and 2 levels of Fighter for feats.
At 7th level (6th with lev Adj buyback) you'll have 5 feats + 2WF from Ranger. That give you the prereqs + the Weapon Style feat itself.
Can be used with Dwarvern WarAxe.

Hammers Edge - prereqs
Imp Bullrush, 2WF, Weapon Focus x2

Three Mountains - prereqs
Cleave, Imp Bullrush, Power Attack, Weapon Focus.
Is greatly improved with 2WF.

All 3 styles have the possibility of having a Maul inserted as part of 1 of the weapon groups with DMs approval.

2 of the styles offer the ability to deny your opponent the ability to strike at you on a failed save, the 3rd leaves him badly hammpered on that failed save.

Stephen E

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-22, 07:48 AM
Don't bother with Monkey Grip. Everything it gives you, Strongarm Bracers (MiC, I want to say) will do for you for cash instead of a feat slot.

Drakevarg
2010-01-22, 11:13 AM
Strongarm Bracers rely on the DM giving them to you, though. And given the setting, a magic mart is almost laughably improbable. (The entire population of the region we're in is probably around 250. 200 of which is my own tribe)