PDA

View Full Version : In-Game Crunch Awareness

Haruspex_Pariah
2010-01-22, 12:43 AM
Hey Playgrounders

Being a long-time OOTS reader, I was wondering exactly how aware characters in RPG campaigns are of their own "stats" as well as the stats of others.

E.g. Random NPC Bob wants to join wizard school. At the very least he needs Intelligence 11. Would he know if he was smart enough? Would the teachers interviewing him know or would he spend a semester studying before realizing that he can't cut it (Int 10)?

For PCs it's a little different, since character advancement is inherently player-directed. If a Str 18, Cha 8 Fighter and a Str 8, Cha 18 sorcerer walk into a bar, can you expect the patrons to notice something?

How does it work in your campaigns? OOTS-like, or invisible stats?

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-22, 12:49 AM
Hey Playgrounders

Being a long-time OOTS reader, I was wondering exactly how aware characters in RPG campaigns are of their own "stats" as well as the stats of others.

E.g. Random NPC Bob wants to join wizard school. At the very least he needs Intelligence 11. Would he know if he was smart enough? Would the teachers interviewing him know or would he spend a semester studying before realizing that he can't cut it (Int 10)?

For PCs it's a little different, since character advancement is inherently player-directed. If a Str 18, Cha 8 Fighter and a Str 8, Cha 18 sorcerer walk into a bar, can you expect the patrons to notice something?

How does it work in your campaigns? OOTS-like, or invisible stats?

I think it should apply some realism, like the 8 CHA fighter may appear rather plain, or even ugly. Yet the fighter will also be really toned or buff. On the other hand the Sorcerer will be lanky or skinny, but will be FABULOUS.

Drakevarg
2010-01-22, 12:51 AM
I generally work with invisible stats with an outward indicator. For example, my character Vorin very clearly has high STR and CON scores, as he's built like a brick ****house. He also very clearly has a low CHA, because he's about as subtle as a boulder landing on your head, and slightly less friendly. The only thing that's well-hidden about him is his WIS score, which is fairly high but he's crazy and reckless, so most people can't tell how perceptive he is.

Swordgleam
2010-01-22, 12:51 AM
Definitely invisible. Our ranger has a high Wis, but regularly fumbles wis-based checks (I have no idea why). So the other characters treat her as if she has a wis of about 4. Little do they know she's theoretically the wisest person in the party.

drengnikrafe
2010-01-22, 12:55 AM
If I ever had a campaign last more than 3 sessions, I would tell you.

Until then, there isn't enough character depth for people to know. We metagame a lot.