PDA

View Full Version : I can't seem to post.

The Extinguisher
2010-01-22, 01:38 AM
I'm having some trouble posting in some threads. (This thread in particular (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7741716)). Whenever I try to post or even preview my post, I get a 403 error saying "You don't have permission to access /forums/newreply.php on this server."

I tried quoting other posts, opening new windows, and switching browsers, and no luck. And I've been able to post in other threads.

Does anyone know how this would happen?

arguskos
2010-01-22, 01:40 AM
1. This thread is made of irony.

2. I encountered that error myself a while ago. I restarted my laptop, and it cleared right up. Try that maybe?

Douglas
2010-01-22, 01:46 AM
It's been long enough since the last thread about this particular problem that I don't blame you for not finding it. Allow me to link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133974) and quote:

This usually means there is something in your post that the server objects to, probably due to overzealous security filters. For example "lynx " (the space is important) anywhere in your post will cause this problem (if you take out the color tag I used to bypass it), as that is part of a protocol that could be used to circumvent security on carelessly set up web sites. The filter the hosting company of this site uses is not smart enough to realize that this server does not have lynx software installed or that your submission will be treated as pure text and not scanned for file transfer commands.

There are a fair number of other things the security filter blocks, and the contents of your post are not always the only factor - past experience has shown that sometimes what one user cannot post gets posted with no trouble if someone else tries it.

If it's not "lynx ", try previewing fragments of your post to narrow down what the security filter is objecting to.

The Extinguisher
2010-01-22, 01:51 AM
It's been long enough since the last thread about this particular problem that I don't blame you for not finding it. Allow me to link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133974) and quote:

If it's not "lynx ", try previewing fragments of your post to narrow down what the security filter is objecting to.

That totally was it. I would not have guessed that at all. Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-22, 05:13 AM
That totally was it. I would not have guessed that at all. Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Considering that I can't ever actually recall using the death-word in coversation, this happens a surprising amount (happened to me to).

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-22, 10:23 AM
I’m beginning to wonder if it would help to set up the 403 error page to mention the l-word. I’m rather surprised at how often this problem turns up.

CasESenSITItiVE
2010-01-22, 11:08 AM
I’m beginning to wonder if it would help to set up the 403 error page to mention the l-word. I’m rather surprised at how often this problem turns up.

or at least sticky a post mentioning said error

Zherog
2010-01-22, 02:49 PM
Nobody reads sticky threads. [/sweeping generalization]

SensFan
2010-01-22, 03:43 PM
Stupid Steppe Lynx.

Roland St. Jude
2010-01-22, 04:54 PM

Sheriff: Groovy.