PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] So this is my next session's outline.... (Current players no look in here!)

Pika...
2010-01-22, 08:01 AM
So I got talking to a friend of mine last night and we bounced ideas of each other for our individual games.

Here is basically how mine might be going:

Map PCs are currently following

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/Pictures%20I%20drew/PartialModronmapofBelowdw.png

Note that this is a Modron provided map, so it is simple and to the point. The PCs/players asked for the quickest path there, but they did not ask for the safest. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, for the outline of what we came up with:
(D&D session ideas for the 24th. Encounters are to follow this order if the PCs keep to the Modron map.)

-Randomly generate encounters in the Dwarves/Goblin valley. 1d6 (1-2= gobs, 3-4 = dwarves, 5-6=bith). Roll every half hour. 48 hours of travel through there.

Note:
1. The two are at serious war, even by Dwarven standards.
2. They have basically devolved into Barbarians since being kidnapped and abandoned on this strange planet by the Arcane Order, and have been going at it day-and-night with their enemy Goblins.
3. The northern half of the valley belongs to the Dwarves, while the Southern belongs to the Goblins.
4. They live in caves and crevasses in the valley sides.

-Desert variant race of some kind raids them in their first nights in the desert.

Notes:
1. Use pit traps, snares, get them in their sleep, and steal equipment.
2. Use camouflage, sabotage what can be taken before a battle to weaken party.

-Starving crazed modern day soldiers wandering randomly in the desert.
1. They have High Move silently and Hide skills.
2. Use AK-470s from d20 Modern or other modern weapons.
3. One has a full flame thrower. Hope that a PC is stupid enough to take it. XD

-20 guys in one of the mountains who call themselves "terrorists" plus a specific "leader" strapped with d20 Modern grenades suicide bombs them.
Note:
1. More humor"Oh lawd RUN!!!!" oriented encounter. PCs/players not supposed to "win" anything aside from staying alive by avoiding the explosions.

-Desert giant vultures.
Notes:
1. I was told a book had these stated?

-Colossal sand crab hidden as sand hill.
Note:
1. Again not an "encounter" per say, but a cinematic scene I will try to describe well and "epic".
2. Will be funny if PC originaly climb the hill for a better view or something just to start moving.

-Of course roll on the environmental hazards tables for deserts and such. :smallbiggrin:

-Once/If they reach the coast Captain Hook and his merry band will be scouting the coast looking to capture slaves.
1. Mister Smead joins them like a coward if not killed. This could help later on having SOMEONE who can pilot a ship. It ight even get them across the massive ocean. They are currently planning to do it in a metal CART. >.>

-If Hook was killed or captured and his ship taken, Listen check DC15 midway through sea journey to hear ticking from inside grandaddy of all crocodiles.

-Ghost ship lead by captain Casper.
Notes:
1. Very nice guy, but PO'd of looking like a kid for centuries.
2. Spot check to notice the crew hinting not to "mention the kid thing".
3. Hope PCs do not mention the kid thing...

-The Count as a research assistance at the secret base.
Note:
1. His Vampire domination ability instead makes you count like you have OCD, and causes illusions like the room turning black, numbers appearing in the air Acid style, and funder+lightning every time the Count finishes counting something and breaks into mad laughter.

So, any ideas, suggestions, signs of disgust, or anything you think I overlooked or could add to make this more fun/crazy/kookier, memorable? Feel free to let your imagination loose on this one? :smallsmile:

Pika...
2010-01-23, 01:42 PM
Anyone have any ideas for how to stat up Hook and his merry men? Been having a hard time with this one (except for the obvious class choice of Swashbuckler).

Also, would the d20 Modern knowledgable people know if giving each soldier (there will be 10) 1d4 fragment grenades would be too powerful?

Melamoto
2010-01-23, 02:09 PM
This looks so awesome, I think it'll be a blast to play. As for your questions:

I would obviously put Hook as a Dishonourable Dread Pirate, and giving a number of his crew Swashbuckler. There should also be a fair number of Experts, who do ship jobs. They probably won't be the fighting type, and would likely follow Mr. Smead.

The regular desert attacks may become irritating rather than fun if they are too repetitive, so there should be a few non-combat encounters to spice things up a bit.

And are you using things from Sandstorm, the desert book? It has a lot of material, although I can't tell if any of the things you've said are from it.

Pika...
2010-01-24, 04:27 AM
This looks so awesome, I think it'll be a blast to play. As for your questions:

Thank you. :smallredface:

I would obviously put Hook as a Dishonourable Dread Pirate, and giving a number of his crew Swashbuckler. There should also be a fair number of Experts, who do ship jobs. They probably won't be the fighting type, and would likely follow Mr. Smead.

Thanks for the help! :smallsmile:

Sadly none of the Dread Pirates on DMtools.org were within CR level for the group (some will not be there tomorrow sadly), so I had to make him lower level.

I added two Experts aboard at least (did not see anymore which would work well).

The regular desert attacks may become irritating rather than fun if they are too repetitive, so there should be a few non-combat encounters to spice things up a bit.

Good point. I was under the impression it made sense, since deserts are meant to be harsh survival of the fittest places. Especially on a "cage/hunting planet" like this one.

Perhaps make it that both the desert race and the sodliers can be negotiated/traded with (to save on work/prep time at ths hour)?

Perhaps even it so they can recruit the soldiers if they are clever enough. I imagine the soldiers would want revenge on thsoe who stranded them, and all their now dead comrades, there. Plus it might give an excuse as to why they manage to take a certain item to escape the planet later?

As for Sandstorm I do not have the time now to get into the material (it is currently 4:08am here). I will jst be using common sense, and military logic I got from people I knew. Heat stroke/damage/saves and need for water willbe vital I am imagining.

Here is what I ahve so far for Hook's encounter. Please critique while I take a catnap to plan some more. Many Pikas to! :smallsmile:

The Ship:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/pirate-5.jpg

The items/gear/loot in the ship:

Gear/Loot on Hook's ship:

-Enough fabric and thread to either make one new sail, or repair 1d3 sails.
-Enough wood to repair a single mast temporarily, or repair 40hp of hall points (see Arms & equipment Guide).
-1,000ft of hemp rope.
-20x Simple Bunk Beds (see Stronghold Builder's Handbook). (crew beds)
-20x Personal chests with 1d20gp worth of (personal) items. None have locks...
-2x 32gal barrels of ale (standard PHB quality).
-15x Clay Mugs (1lb capacity each).
-1x (each) Carpentry Tools, Sewing/Sailmaking Tools, Blacksmithing Tools,, Carpentry Tools, M.W. Cooking Tools (belong to Mr. Smee).
-4x Oil Laps.
-23x Flasks of Oil.
-30x 32 gallon barrels of fresh non-salted water.
-Enough provisions (fish, vegetables, fruits) to make 134 meals. or 97 dried rations.

-1x Fancy Bedroom (Captain Hook's personal Captain Cabin) (See Stronghold Builder's Handbook).
Inside Bedroom:
-1x Chest w/ Good Lock.
-2,034sp (inside chest).
-55gp (inside chest).
-23x Ruby Sparkles (inside chest).
-1x Diamond (inside chest).
-1x Gold handled and gold scabbard ivory dagger. (Knowledge Nature DC8 reveals it to be rhino horn [tip]).
-12x of fancy silk sailor's/captain's clothes. (1d6gp value each).
-5x Fancy perfumes (1d20gp value each).
-1x One mirror.
-1x Luxury Bed (See Stronghold Builder's Handbook).

The Experts I have so far:

Halfling Blacksmith (Codecc)
Male Halfling Expert 3
CR 2
N Small Humanoid
Init +2; Senses Listen +7, Spot +5
Languages Common, Halfling, Dwarven, Elven

AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 14, helpless 9 (+3 armor, +2 Dex)
hp 16 (3 HD)
Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +4 +2 vs Fear

Speed 20-ft
Ranged mwk sling +7 (1d3+1)
tanglepatch +6 (entangle for 5-rds)
Melee mwk light mace +5 (1d4+1)
Base Atk +2; Grp -1
Combat gear 20 sling bullets, potion of cure moderate wounds (300 gp), potion of invisibility (300 gp), two tanglepatches (200 gp ea)

Abilities Str 13, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 8
Feats Alertness, Skill Focus (Craft {blacksmithing})
Skills Appraise +2 (+4 with Armorsmithing, Blacksmithing, Locksmithing, Weaponsmithing items), Climb +3, Craft (armorsmithing) +10, Craft (blacksmithing) +13, Craft (locksmithing) +10, Craft (weaponsmithing) +10, Hide +12, Jump -3, Listen +7, Move Silently +10, Open Lock +10, Search +2, Spot +5
Possessions combat gear plus mwk studded leather (175 gp), mwk blacksmith's tools (55 gp), mwk armorsmith's tools (55 gp), mwk weaponsmith's tools (55 gp), mwk locksmith's tools (55 gp), mwk thieves' tools (100 gp), 18 pp, 20 gp
Armor Proficiencies: Light.
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple.
Halfling Racial Traits: Halflings gain racial bonuses on Climb, Jump, Listen, and Move Silently (included above), as well as a bonus on all saving throws (included above), and a +1 bonus on all attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings (included above).

Height 3-ft 4-in; Weight 38 lbs.; Hair Brown; Skin Ruddy; Eyes Brown; Age 33; Patron Deity Yondalla,

Churtle, Kobold Cook/Poison-mistress (Crabs)
Female Kobold Expert 4
CR 1
LE Small Humanoid (Reptilian)
Init +0; Senses Darkvision (60'); Listen +6, Spot +6
Languages Draconic, Common

AC 12 (+1 small, +1 natural), Touch 11, Flat-footed 12
hp 10 (4 HD)
Fort 0, Ref +1, Will +5 Weakness light sensitivity

Speed 30
Melee kitchen knife (dagger) +2 (1d3-2/19-20)
Base Atk +4; Grp -2

Abilities Str 7, Dex 11, Con 9, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 10
Feats Skill Focus (Craft (poison making)), Skill Focus (Profession (cook))
Skills Craft (poison making) +10, Craft (trapmaking) +2, Hide +7, Listen +6, Move Silently +6, Profession (cook) +11, Profession (miner) +3, Search +5, Spot +6, Tumble +6
Possessions small pouch filled with sea shells, 53 gp

Height 2'3"; Weight 35 lbs.; Hair None; Skin Rusty Brown; Eyes Red; Age 11;

5x Pirate Crew/Soldiers:

5x Captain Hook's Pirate Crewman
Human Swashbuckler 1
CR 1
CN Medium Humanoid
Init +2; Senses Listen -1, Spot -1
Languages Common, Gnome, Goblin

AC 15 (+2 Dex, +3 armor), flat-foted 14, touch 11
hp 10 (1 HD)
Fort +2, Ref +2, Will -1

Speed 30 ft.
Melee Rapier +3 (1d6+1/18-20)
Ranged Light Crossbow +3 (1d8/19-20)
Base Atk +1; Grp +2
Def Options Combat Expertise
Combat gear Rapier, light crossbow, 10 bolts

Abilities Str 13, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 12
Feats Combat Expertise, Improved Feint, Weapon Finesse
Skills Appraise +3, Bluff +5, Climb +4, Jump +2, Listen -1, Profession (Sailor) +3, Spot -1, Swim +4, Tumble +3, Use Rope +6
Possessions combat gear plus chain shirt

Captain Hook himself:

Captain Hook himself!
This NPC uses the swashbuckler base class from Complete Warrior
Swashbuckler3; CR 3; Medium humanoid (human); HD 3d10+3; hp 25; Init +6; Spd 30 ft.; AC 16 (17), touch 12 (13), flat 14; Base Atk +3; Grp +3; Atk/Full Atk +7 melee (1d6+1, mw rapier) or +7 Hook(left hand) (1d4+1 +1 Bleed) ; SA -; SQ -; AL CE; SV Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +0; Str 10, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 14
Skills: Balance +7, Bluff +7, Diplomacy +7, Jump +7, Profession (sailor) +6, Tumble +9, Use Rope +9
Feats: Dodge, Weapon Focus (Rapier), Improved Initiative, Improved TripB
Languages: Common
Possessions:900 gp, Chain shirt.

Special: Captain Hook can attempt to make a trip attack with his hook without provoking an attack of opportunity. In addition he receives a +4 on his roll to this.

ps. Anyone have any ideas on how to stat Mr. Smee? I am stomped on that character, and I want to be faitful to him for later on today.