PDA

View Full Version : StP Erudite?

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 12:15 PM
I've heard this term kicked around a few times and that it's horribly broken. What is it exactly?

Eldariel
2010-01-22, 12:18 PM
Spells to Powers (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a) Erudite. With a thing from Dragon, it can cast all Divine spells too, but the crux of it is that getting all arcane spells to your list of manifestables is pretty good. Well, it's really completely broken and enables half a dozen infinite comboes and silly crap like that, so yeah...

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 12:30 PM
Other then being able to spend points to cover material components, I just don't see how this is broken. Versatile yes, but not broken.

erikun
2010-01-22, 12:34 PM
Versatility is power, and when you can cast virtually any spell of any book at any time, you become brokenly versatile.

It can be managable if the DM tightly reins in the spells available to the party, but that's about it.

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 12:41 PM
So is the StP like a Sorcerer that can learn new spells like a Wizard? Is that why it's broken? because it has a large pool to cast from and no limit on what it can draw from that to cast?

Kyeudo
2010-01-22, 12:42 PM
A Wizard is considered extremely powerful because he can, with a little planning, have the right spell to completely anihilate any challenge he may face. However, he can only pick spells with advanced planning, so he must have some foresight to be truly godlike.

STP Erudite can do everything the wizard can and everything a psion can (and apparently anything anyone with a spell list can) and he can do it on the fly. No need to know that Knock would have been nice to have prepared 4 times today instead of only once. Just manifest Knock 4 times. No need to know that the uber spell of the day would be Gaseous Form. If you've ever run into the spell or power, you know it and can use it.

To further power this up, a Wizard cannot use six 2nd level spell slots to cast Wish or use a 9th level slot to cast 17 Magic Missiles, even if he wanted to, but the Erudite can.

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 12:44 PM
A Wizard is considered extremely powerful because he can, with a little planning, have the right spell to completely anihilate any challenge he may face. However, he can only pick spells with advanced planning, so he must have some foresight to be truly godlike.

STP Erudite can do everything the wizard can and everything a psion can (and apparently anything anyone with a spell list can) and he can do it on the fly. No need to know that Knock would have been nice to have prepared 4 times today instead of only once. Just manifest Knock 4 times. No need to know that the uber spell of the day would be Gaseous Form. If you've ever run into the spell or power, you know it and can use it.

But isn't its weakness that it can't retrieve spent resources like a Wizard could with certain spells or items?

Kyeudo
2010-01-22, 12:46 PM
But isn't its weakness that it can't retrieve spent resources like a Wizard could with certain spells or items?

Erudites benefit just as much from narcolepsy as a Wizard. Example:

"Oh shucksy darn. I just blew most of my power points on that last encounter."

*Manifests Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion*

"Guess we call it a day then. We can continue tommorow morning."

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 12:48 PM
Erudites benefit just as much from narcolepsy as a Wizard. Example:

"Oh shucksy darn. I just blew most of my power points on that last encounter."

*Manifests Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion*

"Guess we call it a day then. We can continue tommorow morning."

A Wizard though could always start blowing through Pearls of Power though before needing to pull that. Is there any way a Erudite can do that?

Kyeudo
2010-01-22, 12:52 PM
Psionic characters are slightly gimped in that respect. Cognizance Crystals can provide the benefit you want, but take recharging to refill, so you have to spend some down time on them.

Still, one way or another, the STP Erudite has all the advantages that any spellcaster can bring to the table.

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-22, 12:55 PM
A Wizard though could always start blowing through Pearls of Power though before needing to pull that. Is there any way a Erudite can do that?

All Psionic characters have a method of gaining infinite PP. Most of them are very flimsy and easily stopped. A few of them are downright sketchy.

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 12:55 PM
Thanks for clarifying all this guys.

Lycanthromancer
2010-01-22, 12:57 PM
A Wizard though could always start blowing through Pearls of Power though before needing to pull that. Is there any way a Erudite can do that?Erudites can manifest from items such as power stones/scrolls, dorjes/wands, and psicrowns/staves/runestaves and even other creatures without using any of his Unique Powers Per Day, and it's relatively easy to recharge your power points if your DM doesn't squash RAW.

Think about what would happen every time a spell-to-power erudite uses, say, a wand of [Rary's] mnemonic enhancer.

Also, there are sorcerer spells that allow you to cast two lower level spells with a single casting; erudites can use them too, and they don't have to use up their UPPD on that, either. Same with miracle. And just think of what they could do with levels in shadowcraft mage...

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 01:00 PM
Erudites can manifest from items such as power stones/scrolls, dorjes/wands, and psicrowns/staves/runestaves and even other creatures without using any of his Unique Powers Per Day, and it's relatively easy to recharge your power points if your DM doesn't squash RAW.

Think about what would happen every time a spell-to-power erudite uses, say, a wand of [Rary's] mnemonic enhancer.

Also, there are sorcerer spells that allow you to cast two lower level spells with a single casting; erudites can use them too, and they don't have to use up their UPPD on that, either. Same with miracle. And just think of what they could do with levels in shadowcraft mage...

Was actually about to ask that; What are Unique Powers per day?

So a StP can use an intermediary for casting spells it can't actually learn?

erikun
2010-01-22, 01:04 PM
I actually like the Erudite, or at least the idea behind the class. Being a walking library of psionic powers, in exchange to becoming more predictable as the day goes on. I haven't ran one yet, and would seriously like to do so, just to see how it actually compares to the Psion in play.

The major problem with the Spell-to-Power variant is the extreme versatility of Wizard spells. There are a number of spells which intentionally do not have power equilivants. Consider Greater Shadow Conjuration: an Erudite with it can cast Grease, Acid Arrow, Glitterdust, Web, Phanton Steed, Black Tentacles, Solid Fog, Dimensional Door, Wall of Fire, Wall of Stone, Summon Monster... all for one of his "spells/day" uses. The greatest limiting factor of the Erudite is using a limited number of different powers, while the greatest power of the Wizard is having spells with the greatest versatility. Combine the two, and you end up with a Erudite which is only limited by his PP pool.

<EDIT>

Was actually about to ask that; What are Unique Powers per day?
An Erudite can only use a specific number of distinct powers each day. That is, while a level 1 Erudite can know 50 different powers, he can only use one of those powers each day. Once he has used that one power, he can keep using it until out of PP, but he cannot use any other powers until resting 8 hours/etc.

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 01:14 PM
<EDIT>

An Erudite can only use a specific number of distinct powers each day. That is, while a level 1 Erudite can know 50 different powers, he can only use one of those powers each day. Once he has used that one power, he can keep using it until out of PP, but he cannot use any other powers until resting 8 hours/etc.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

2xMachina
2010-01-22, 01:20 PM
Erudites can manifest from items such as power stones/scrolls, dorjes/wands, and psicrowns/staves/runestaves and even other creatures without using any of his Unique Powers Per Day, and it's relatively easy to recharge your power points if your DM doesn't squash RAW.

Wait, so can you say a Schism mind is another creature, and cast from it? (Probably not)

Or is there a way to get your known powers to another creature to cast from them?

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 01:25 PM

Wait, how can it learn Miracle pre-epic?

Optimystik
2010-01-22, 01:29 PM
All Psionic characters have a method of gaining infinite PP. Most of them are very flimsy and easily stopped. A few of them are downright sketchy.

The StP Erudite's method, on the other hand, is laughably easy. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/spells/mentalPinnacle.htm)

Note that they don't even need the potion to do this.

As Lycan pointed out, however, there are numerous ways around this that don't involve dipping into UPD. Power Stones, Dorjes, other manifesters, etc.

And even if you must dip into UPD, stick with versatile powers at the outset of the day (like Astral Construct and Time Hop), since you know they will be useful even if you run low on UPD before naptime. Save your utility powers for when the party is stumped on something. (For instance, you're liable to be the only manifester in the party with something like Eradicate Invisibility.)

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-22, 01:32 PM
Wait, how can it learn Miracle pre-epic?

Do a google search for "Killer Gnome". That's how.

Using Silent Image to make your own miracles out of 7th level (or lower) slots.

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 01:32 PM
The StP Erudite's method, on the other hand, is laughably easy. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/spells/mentalPinnacle.htm)

Note that they don't even need the potion to do this.

So learn this one, make sure its one of your UPD and just manifest it any time you're low on power points for a quick, in battle refresh? Or just keep manifesting it to gain infinite PP?

Optimystik
2010-01-22, 01:42 PM
So learn this one, make sure its one of your UPD and just manifest it any time you're low on power points for a quick, in battle refresh? Or just keep manifesting it to gain infinite PP?

By RAW, you gain PP (rather than your PP being set to a particular number) so yes, you can spam it ad infinitum.

Even if the pain from your DM's obvious head injury (for allowing this in the first place) lapses enough for him to rule that the PP don't stack, you can still just spend 13 PP on it, get 45-48 back the first time (33-36 from levels, 12 from the ability score boost), hold back 13 to manifest it again right as it expires, and spend/store the extra (in cognizance crystals.) Repeat until satisfied.

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-22, 01:49 PM
Mental Pinnacle is one of the two powers StP Erudites should have in their daily reserve, regardless of the interpretation on their Unique Powers/Day (there's multiple ways to read that stupid text block, all three of which are broken). The other is Arcane Fusion/Greater (in Complete Mage).

There's a reason this is the 6th member of the Big 6. Combine the StP Erudite with it's natural ability to screw with the Action Economy, and you end up with the most powerful Nova class in the game.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-22, 01:53 PM
By RAW, you gain PP (rather than your PP being set to a particular number) so yes, you can spam it ad infinitum.

Even if the pain from your DM's obvious head injury (for allowing this in the first place) lapses enough for him to rule that the PP don't stack, you can still just spend 13 PP on it, get 45-48 back the first time (33-36 from levels, 12 from the ability score boost), hold back 13 to manifest it again right as it expires, and spend/store the extra (in cognizance crystals.) Repeat until satisfied.

Worse than that.

If they don't stack, then they're like temp HP. You just remanifest whenever you burn through them. So, gain your 45 or so, burn all but 13 however you want, and immediately remanifest it. The new PP don't stack, true, but there's none of the old ones left.

Just like when you cast Aid, get 20 temp HP, someone hits you for 15, and then you cast Aid again. You have 20 temp HP again.

Sliver
2010-01-22, 02:00 PM
Worse than that.

If they don't stack, then they're like temp HP. You just remanifest whenever you burn through them. So, gain your 45 or so, burn all but 13 however you want, and immediately remanifest it. The new PP don't stack, true, but there's none of the old ones left.

Just like when you cast Aid, get 20 temp HP, someone hits you for 15, and then you cast Aid again. You have 20 temp HP again.

Isn't that exactly what he said? :smallconfused:

Radar
2010-01-22, 02:42 PM
Speaking of broken spells and psionics: as far as I can interpret it, Dweomer of Transference (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/spells/dweomerOfTransference.htm) gives absolute immunity to non-epic arcane and divine magic and gives power points too! Oh, and it's 4th level only.
Is it that poorly thought out spell, or am i misreading it? StP Erudite could have it on all the time without loosing anything, since all his buffs are treated as powers.

erikun
2010-01-22, 03:14 PM
Area spells that include the target in the area arguably aren't affected by Dweomer, because they are not "cast at the subject". You can definitely target other objects that aren't the target, such as Solid Fog or Grease. In either case, the wording of the spell is rather questionable.

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 03:21 PM
Area spells that include the target in the area arguably aren't affected by Dweomer, because they are not "cast at the subject". You can definitely target other objects that aren't the target, such as Solid Fog or Grease. In either case, the wording of the spell is rather questionable.

I think the spell is pretty clear that any spell cast near a person under the Dweomer doesn't work at all and gets absorbed.

erikun
2010-01-22, 03:30 PM
I think the spell is pretty clear that any spell cast near a person under the Dweomer doesn't work at all and gets absorbed.
I think it's pretty clear that any spell not cast directly at the person under the Dweomer is not absorbed and works normally. I guess this is just another example of how the spell is poorly worded.

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 03:37 PM
I think it's pretty clear that any spell not cast directly at the person under the Dweomer is not absorbed and works normally. I guess this is just another example of how the spell is poorly worded.

You can cast any spell you like at the subject, even area spells, effect spells, and spells for whom the subject would ordinarily not be a legitimate target. The spells don’t do anything other than provide the subject with power points, but you must still cast them normally, obeying the component and range requirements listed in the description of each spell.

How is that poorly worded?

erikun
2010-01-22, 03:43 PM
Well, there's obviously a misunderstanding happening somewhere.

For the duration of the spell, any spells cast at the subject don’t have their usual effect, instead converting themselves harmlessly into psionic energy that the subject can use as energy for psionic powers. You can cast any spell you like at the subject, even area spells, effect spells, and spells for whom the subject would ordinarily not be a legitimate target. The spells don’t do anything other than provide the subject with power points, but you must still cast them normally, obeying the component and range requirements listed in the description of each spell.
"Can cast" means an option. I read this as, while you can cast a spell directly at the subject, even if you couldn't normally (ie. Earthquake), it doesn't mean you have to. I also don't see how casting a spell that doesn't target the subject (again, Earthquake) would be absorbed into the Dweomer, nor how you could read that casting Earthquake on the surrounding area would automatically be absorbed.

faceroll
2010-01-22, 03:44 PM

It manifests a 4th level spell, either "dweomer of transference" or "mental pinnacle". The former allows him to turn spells into power points. A friendly warlock or rogue with UMD just spams a wand or eldritch blasts on him for a lot of temporary power points. Mental pinnacle gives him oodles of power points and only costs 12 power points.

tyckspoon
2010-01-22, 03:47 PM

I don't think it is, but then, I don't think your interpretation of it is correct either, which means it's *not* clearly phrased. As I parse the spell, it grants protection against targeted spells such as Hold Person and Finger of Death, because those spells must be targeted specifically at you. Everything else works normally unless it is cast specifically for the purpose of feeding the Dweomer; an enemy can cast Fireball at your feet and have it work normally, your friend can cast Fireball for the purpose of giving you more PP and have it absorbed by the Dweomer instead of blowing you up. Your enemy throws Enervation rays at you and you take negative levels, your friend converts the spell slot into more PP for you.

Optimystik
2010-01-22, 03:50 PM

Put simply, burst spells (like fireball) don't target a person, they target a point in space. So arguably, the dweomer should do nothing to them.

And of course, pure area spells (like emanations) don't target anything at all.

So every area spell has two modes with respect to this spell - the normal mode, and the one that has no effect and gets converted to PP instead.

Targeted spells should be blocked by it.

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 03:50 PM
Well, there's obviously a misunderstanding happening somewhere.

"Can cast" means an option. I read this as, while you can cast a spell directly at the subject, even if you couldn't normally (ie. Earthquake), it doesn't mean you have to. I also don't see how casting a spell that doesn't target the subject (again, Earthquake) would be absorbed into the Dweomer, nor how you could read that casting Earthquake on the surrounding area would automatically be absorbed.

I fail to see how you get that interpretation. It's the same as saying, "You can fire a regular handgun at Superman". Nothing stops you from doing the action, it just won't work at all.

Edit:

@Opti: I don't see "target" anywhere in the wording of the spell. It just says "cast at".

@Tyck: Now here is where I can see it as poorly worded. It doesn't really clarify that spells that you, as the original caster of Dweomer, are the only ones that are absorbed by the Dweomer.

Radar
2010-01-22, 03:53 PM
Yet it deals with most if not all of the spells that would pass through Antimagic Field (effect spells, dispells, Disjunction). Essentially combine the two for greater effect. Can be pulled off with Cleric, Hidden Talent, DMM and Initiate of Mystra.

@Bendraesar:
The spell description says, that you can target the subject with any spell whatsover, but the subject has to be targeted. So area spells not cast directly at the subject can still affect him. No target, no transfer.
edit: cast at might interpreted as targeting - it would seem sensible.

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 03:56 PM
@Bendraesar:
The spell description says, that you can target the subject with any spell whatsover, but the subject has to be targeted. So area spells not cast directly at the subject can still affect him. No target, no transfer.
edit: cast at might interpreted as targeting - it would seem sensible.

Sensible? Yes. But that's more RAI then RAW unless I'm missing somewhere that they specifically label "Cast at" as being synonymous to "Targeted"

erikun
2010-01-22, 04:01 PM
I fail to see how you get that interpretation. It's the same as saying, "You can fire a regular handgun at Superman". Nothing stops you from doing the action, it just won't work at all.
Because normally, you cannot cast Earthquake at a specific target. Earthquake will only target a 80-ft.-radius spread. Only in very specific conditions, such as a Clay Golem or someone under the effects of Dweomer of Transference, can you cast Earthquake at a target.

As I read it, when casting Earthquake normally, it cannot be absorbed with Dweomer because it is not being cast at the target (or at any target). Only if you choose to cast Earthquake at the subject of Dweomer, as opposed to an 80-ft.-radius spread somewhere, is it absorbed into the Dweomer.

I agree with Optimystik's interpretation. I suppose the interpretation of burst spells being "cast at" the affected creatures could be made, but I honestly cannot see how an area spell could be considered to be "cast at" any one particular creature.

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 04:06 PM
Because normally, you cannot cast Earthquake at a specific target. Earthquake will only target a 80-ft.-radius spread. Only in very specific conditions, such as a Clay Golem or someone under the effects of Dweomer of Transference, can you cast Earthquake at a target.

As I read it, when casting Earthquake normally, it cannot be absorbed with Dweomer because it is not being cast at the target (or at any target). Only if you choose to cast Earthquake at the subject of Dweomer, as opposed to an 80-ft.-radius spread somewhere, is it absorbed into the Dweomer.

I agree with Optimystik's interpretation. I suppose the interpretation of burst spells being "cast at" the affected creatures could be made, but I honestly cannot see how an area spell could be considered to be "cast at" any one particular creature.

Once again, the spell never mentions anything about targeting the psionic creature under the affects of Dweomer.

Would the interpretation that only targeted spells be absorbed make a more, balanced sense? Yes.

Is that RAW? No.

tyckspoon
2010-01-22, 04:06 PM
Sensible? Yes. But that's more RAI then RAW unless I'm missing somewhere that they specifically label "Cast at" as being synonymous to "Targeted"

It's the distinction drawn between a Target spell and ... pretty much everything else. With a Target spell, you pick a target or targets and say "I am casting this spell at you." Every other spell type, you select an area you are casting the spell into that happens to include the things or creatures you want to affect with it. Even rays work like that, although colloquially they are cast at a target in the same way weapons are fired or swung at a particular target (and I might stretch Dweomer's protection to cover ray attacks, but I don't believe the actual rules supports it.)

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 04:09 PM
It's the distinction drawn between a Target spell and ... pretty much everything else. With a Target spell, you pick a target or targets and say "I am casting this spell at you." Every other spell type, you select an area you are casting the spell into that happens to include the things or creatures you want to affect with it. Even rays work like that, although colloquially they are cast at a target in the same way weapons are fired or swung at a particular target (and I might stretch Dweomer's protection to cover ray attacks, but I don't believe the actual rules supports it.)

But you have to choose an area for the spell to be cast. You are "casting" the spell "at" that area. And that area may or may not also contain creatures or objects in it.

Optimystik
2010-01-22, 04:11 PM
But you have to choose an area for the spell to be cast. You are "casting" the spell "at" that area. And that area may or may not also contain creatures or objects in it.

Actually, you're casting it at a point (typically the corner of their square,) not at an area.

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 04:13 PM
Actually, you're casting it at a point (typically the corner of their square,) not at an area.

Regardless, you are choosing to cast it in a direction.

Now, I could see argument that the Dweomer affected creature has to be in the same square where the spell point originated, but the spell itself never says the spell has to target the creature itself.

erikun
2010-01-22, 04:14 PM
Once again, the spell never mentions anything about targeting the psionic creature under the affects of Dweomer.
If interpretation A is not RAW and interpretation B is not RAW, then the RAW ends up ambigious. (As I said originally) We cannot obtain a clear interpretation one way or the other. So no, it is not clear that casting an Earthquake in the subject's general direction gets absorbed into the Dweomer.

If the spell had used the term "target the subject" rather than "cast at the subject", then it would clear up most of the discussion. Judging by the posts here, most people assume that "cast at" means "target". To my knowledge, "cast at" is not something covered anywhere else in the rules, so if a DM wishes to interpret it as something other than "target", it is just as homebrewed (if that would be the appropriate term) as any other interpretation.

<EDIT>

Casting a spell at an area which contains a creature is not the same as casting a spell at a creature.

Optimystik
2010-01-22, 04:16 PM
There is precedent for "cast at" to mean "target." From Rod of Absorption:

This rod acts as a magnet, drawing spells or spell-like abilities into itself. The magic absorbed must be a single-target spell or a ray directed at either the character possessing the rod or her gear. The rod then nullifies the spell’s effect and stores its potential until the wielder releases this energy in the form of spells of her own.

I can tell what you're thinking - no mention of "cast at" there. The actual phrase is actually in Staff of the Magi:

A staff of the magi gives the wielder spell resistance 23. If this is willingly lowered, however, the staff can also be used to absorb arcane spell energy directed at its wielder, as a rod of absorption does.
The wielder has no idea how many spell levels are cast at her, for the staff does not communicate this knowledge as a rod of absorption does.

Not the cleanest ruling perhaps, but a ruling nonetheless.

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 04:16 PM
interpretation.

<EDIT>

Casting a spell at an area which contains a creature is not the same as casting a spell at a creature.

Only if we're assuming at means targeted.

Edit

@Opti:

Well, then any target spells period are absorbed and only non-target spells from the original caster of Dweomer are absorbed.

erikun
2010-01-22, 04:22 PM
Attacking an object held by a creature is not attack a creature.
Sundering a bag holding an object is not sundering the object.
Drinking a potion inside a vial is not drinking the vial.

I... don't have a more polite way of putting it. The two are related but completely different options. If you are houseruling "cast at" to mean "targetted in the same general direction as", then casting at an area would necessarily include casting at the target. Casting as spell at one thing (as vague as that is) does not mean you are casting the spell at an unrelated thing.

You may rule that is the case, but it isn't necessarily supported by RAW. As such, the RAW is ambigious, and needs some form of DM interpretation to be used correctly.

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 04:25 PM
Attacking an object held by a creature is not attack a creature.
Sundering a bag holding an object is not sundering the object.
Drinking a potion inside a vial is not drinking the vial.

I... don't have a more polite way of putting it. The two are related but completely different options. If you are houseruling "cast at" to mean "targetted in the same general direction as", then casting at an area would necessarily include casting at the target. Casting as spell at one thing (as vague as that is) does not mean you are casting the spell at an unrelated thing.

You may rule that is the case, but it isn't necessarily supported by RAW. As such, the RAW is ambigious, and needs some form of DM interpretation to be used correctly.

Already addressed this, moving on.

Optimystik
2010-01-22, 04:41 PM
Well, then any target spells period are absorbed and only non-target spells from the original caster of Dweomer are absorbed.

I'm fine with this, and is in fact the interpretation I use.

Note that the two items I linked to function similarly to a DoT, strengthening the rules relevance. (They both absorb and negate spells directed at the wielder, converting them to spell energy.)

Tanuki Tales
2010-01-22, 04:46 PM
I'm fine with this, and is in fact the interpretation I use.

Note that the two items I linked to function similarly to a DoT, strengthening the rules relevance. (They both absorb and negate spells directed at the wielder, converting them to spell energy.)

Thus why I'm agreeing that interpretation is correct. It's not an actual, solid ruling, but it is precedent in a similar context, which is more then enough.