PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Level 2 Survival build?!?

Critical
2010-01-22, 12:22 PM
OK, so here's the deal. In our group GM runs a constant game, one world, no campaigns and small games, just one big(and probably endless) one. So, it's like a MMORPG, EVERYONE starts out at level 2, working their way up. The thing is, he awards XP at the end of the session. I'm at level 2(Almost 3, though he can give level 3 from start for a good character story), the others are level 5-7, with 2 more level 2's with me. But, here's the catch. He awards the XP only if the char survives till the end of the session. And, as he puts up something like CR 4-5, it's kind of hard for me to survive. Any thoughts, what can be hard to kill at level 1-2?*:smallbiggrin:
*Psionics, monks and paladins are banned.

deuxhero
2010-01-22, 12:24 PM
Why are you behind everyone?

Critical
2010-01-22, 12:25 PM
That's the way our DM runs things. He thinks it's not fair that his players played a lot for it and we would get that level for free.

Eldariel
2010-01-22, 12:48 PM
Wizard with Abrupt Jaunt [PHBII] is pretty amazing as far as survival goes. Rather impressive offensive output too, since stuff like Grease doesn't care about level. Images and the like are also level-independent means of affecting things.

Warforged Crusader [ToB] with Stone Power + Adamantine Body + Extra Granted Maneuver (with Flaws) would be pretty amazing against physical attacks and has some decent immunities against certain spells. Though saves would still be your weak spot.

Barbarian is also a decent option, especially Imperious Command [DoTU] + Ferocity [Cityscape Web (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a)] with just Endurance > Steadfast Determination [PHBII] to give you some punch and some defenses.

That's about what I'd suggest. Druid is also a decent option, but you'd need two more levels for Dire Bat AC to fly on. Still, having your Riding Dog fight for you is much safer; you can focus on ranged spells (Entangles, Produce Flame, etc.) and pumping your AC. Druid has AC, HP and saves so it's pretty good overall.

Sliver
2010-01-22, 12:57 PM
I don't see ToB on that ban list, so go with Warblade or even better, crusaders! They are great as endurance characters.. CR 4-5 shouldn't be too much for a ECL2 party, and as you are along with other higher level characters, you shouldn't have too much trouble, unless he puts you against high damage critters that target you.. Then go with warforged Admantine plating crusader (you can afford the heavy armor proficiency) or something like that..

Oh.. Yeah.. What he said..

Person_Man
2010-01-22, 01:33 PM
That's an utterly retarded way to DM. Although you'll level up quickly, you will always be 1-2 levels behind your other party members. And balancing encounters against a group of mixed levels is nearly impossible.

My suggestion is that you point this out to your DM, and remind him that D&D is not a video game. You cannot grind levels, and then rejoin the group when appropriate. If that doesn't work, wait until the other players fall asleep. Kill all of them. Then commit suicide. Then you all get to restart at level 2.

If you're intent to tough it out under a system that could have been designed by a 12 year old, then I suggest that play a full caster and do nothing. Stand way back. Don't participate in combat except through ranged weapons and spells. If enemies attack you, run out of their line of site.

skeeter_dan
2010-01-22, 01:58 PM
That's an utterly retarded way to DM.

In your opinion. I have heard of many games run in a similar fashion that are thoroughly enjoyable and work just fine. That playstyle may not be to your liking but it may be to others.

As to the OP, a Wizard with Abrupt Jaunt is fantastic. I played a low-level wizard with that ability and it saved my bacon a multitude of times.

Critical
2010-01-22, 01:59 PM
That's an utterly retarded way to DM. Although you'll level up quickly, you will always be 1-2 levels behind your other party members. And balancing encounters against a group of mixed levels is nearly impossible.

My suggestion is that you point this out to your DM, and remind him that D&D is not a video game. You cannot grind levels, and then rejoin the group when appropriate. If that doesn't work, wait until the other players fall asleep. Kill all of them. Then commit suicide. Then you all get to restart at level 2.

If you're intent to tough it out under a system that could have been designed by a 12 year old, then I suggest that play a full caster and do nothing. Stand way back. Don't participate in combat except through ranged weapons and spells. If enemies attack you, run out of their line of site.
Yeah, I think I'll be going for the caster(wizard). The players will just get a chance to roll new character of whatever level their one was if they're killed. they just don't get XP. Besides, the DM will probably come up with something to wake them up, like passive listen or something like that. The DM is just too lazy/dumb to change his own genius(/sarcasm) system, when I suggested a change at the experience he said he saw no suitable arguments(however they were more than that), he's not changing it. He's a kind of those extinct DM's that think that RP is 80-90% and combat's what's left. I know it sucks, but I just don't have much choice where to play D&D.

ericgrau
2010-01-22, 02:27 PM
Dwarven barbarian sword and board or - if you're allowed a lot of gp - fighter in full plate and a shield. Feat: toughness. Or better yet go ranged for more safety, grabbing rapid shot and precise shot as a fighter. You can always switch styles later if you don't want to play an archer or sword-and-board. Still make strength (or maybe dex if ranged) your high stat and get a nice weapon. That's the best simple way (w/o tricks) to survive and still deal some damage. Otherwise I imagine you could come up with something that involved hiding all the time while your higher level buddies power level you MMORPG style.

Superglucose
2010-01-22, 02:33 PM
OK, so here's the deal. In our group GM runs a constant game, one world, no campaigns and small games, just one big(and probably endless) one. So, it's like a MMORPG, EVERYONE starts out at level 2, working their way up. The thing is, he awards XP at the end of the session. I'm at level 2(Almost 3, though he can give level 3 from start for a good character story), the others are level 5-7, with 2 more level 2's with me. But, here's the catch. He awards the XP only if the char survives till the end of the session. And, as he puts up something like CR 4-5, it's kind of hard for me to survive. Any thoughts, what can be hard to kill at level 1-2?*:smallbiggrin:
CR 4-5 shouldn't be too tough to survive with a level 2 character. I'd say that a party of level 2s ought to be winning their CR 4-5 encounters pretty much of the time.

Just plink with crossbows or whatever until they start coming towards you then run away. Or play a wizard.

Another_Poet
2010-01-22, 03:16 PM
I've been in games like that and it can be a lot of fun to go through those tough battles when you're 2 levels behind.

It's as much about tactics as build. Stay in the middle of the party when traveling, the back of the ranks when in a one-sided battle. Don't tank and don't volunteer to be the trap-checker or trap-disabler. Use ranged attacks or support spells to help others, and save an Obscuring Mist or some other little trick in case the enemies break through to where you're at. Own a battle-trained mount as soon as possible so you can get away quickly if needed.

It can be fun to RP the newby who is just learning the ropes.

Plus, EL 5 encounters at 2nd level means massive XP and 5th level treasure!!!

Critical
2010-01-24, 10:44 AM
Ahem, sorry, not CR 4-5 encounters, but CR 4-5 creatures. The DM throws some dice and says there are x hellhounds. That's kind of a punishment for us picking the wrong place to sleep(noone has survival, lol).

Overshee
2010-01-24, 10:52 AM
Well, it sounds like none of them are skillmonkeys, so you could probably fill a niche with factotum. It's not the best survivalist, but it would give a reason for group to protect you (valuable member of team) and alter self will give you access to creatures with survivability (natural AC, speed, and the like) [though I just remember you might not have access till level 4]

magic9mushroom
2010-01-24, 11:08 AM
This is utterly insane. There are passages in the DMG specifically telling the DM that they should let players back in one level less than the other party members, and that different members of the party being more than a level or two apart is disastrous and results in an unfun experience.

Point those passages out to your DM.

Starbuck_II
2010-01-24, 11:20 AM
One level in Binder gives Force Punch (the Monk Vestiges): 1d6 damage + bull rush attempt. It auto hits everything as it is Force (even incorporeals).
This will help you not miss high level enemies.

Myou
2010-01-24, 11:30 AM

This, one hundred times this.

Yuki Akuma
2010-01-24, 11:37 AM
In your opinion..

No, according to the DMG and by examining how the game rules work, this is an entirely retarded way of DMing. It sounds like the DM just wants to punish the players for no reason.

My advice: find a new DM.

SilveryCord
2010-01-24, 11:58 AM
This is a warning sign; run away from this DM as fast as possible. This is a really, really, really bad way to run a game of D&D.

Regardless, if the caster doesn't work out, a good race to try and pump up your AC and reflex saves could be Air Goblin. +4 dex, -2 str and con, small size. Use finessed or ranged weapons and you're just dandy.

Edit: And if you have a sense of humor, you could play the Survivor prestige class from Savage Species.

Soranar
2010-01-24, 12:45 PM
be hard to hit with lots of HP, that usually helps a lot

too bad paladin is banned, only way you could get decent saves despite your level

you'll be about the strenght of a cohort the whole game

race : warforged
alignment: any

warforged gets d12 with fighter class if you take substitution levels
the second level type gives you a warforged feat instead of a fighter feat

1 Fighter (2nd level substitution warforged) adamantine body, power attack
2 Fighter improved damage reduction

STATS in order of importance

Con , Str , Int, Dex (12 to get max ac), Wis , Cha

get a Tower shield , if possible adamantine (DR stacks with yours)

you have 12 + Con+ 1d12+Con hitpoints with DR 3 adamantine

your AC is 8 full plate+ 1 dex+ 4 tower shield + 10 base = 23

if warforged isn't allowed, slap your DM silly or

try this build

race: earth dwarf (+2 str, CON, -2 dex, cha +8 stability)
alignment: Lawful Good, deity Moradin
domains: War (focused, you lose 1 domain to get a special ability)

dwarven cleric gets d10 for hp, and +2 damage when using a warhammer after level 4, you lose a 2nd level spell slot when you reach level 4

1 Dwarven cleric (4th level substitution) extend spell
2 Dwarven cleric

STATS (in order of importance) WIS, CON, STR, INT, DEX, CHA

assuming a fullplate with heavy shield AC and hitpoints should be lower than the other build but you play a tier 1 class and you never need to multiclass (although a 2 level in hammer of moradin would get your WIS bonus to damage with a hammer too)

Ashtar
2010-01-24, 02:14 PM
Since when the XP is awarded, a lower level character should receive more XP (See DMG p42, Behind The Curtain: When a PC falls behind), thus levelling up much faster. So if you survive to the end of a scenario, you should easily catch up when facing higher CR Monsters.

That makes your focus on surviving. So rules to survival? Stay together, get yourself a UMDable wand of False Life, stock up on tanglefoot bags and ask for a few blessings / spells to help you survive from the other characters.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-24, 02:42 PM
Be a monk. Max ranks in Hide and Move Silently. Run the hell away and hide when the party gets in a fight.

Susano-wo
2010-01-24, 03:59 PM
"He's a kind of those extinct DM's that think that RP is 80-90% and combat's what's left. I know it sucks, but I just don't have much choice where to play D&D."

Hey! back off the RP freaks :P
It actually sounds like he thinks that the game is 90%effort/luck, and 10% whatever else.
Levels don't make RP. They have nothing to do with it, really. Now, obviously, if the other players are having fun, then yay, DMG be damned

(sorry, I can stomach only so much but the DMG says this! talk: Its all fine as a pointer to *why* things aren't going to plan, since the difficulties of doing it differently aren't being sufficiently countered, but it bothers me when DMG recommendations are treated as Gospel for how you have to play.)
/End siderant...sorry
All in all, I think he equates being a ****/hard ass with making consequences for actions and a realistic game world. Doen't think I would want to play with him, and sorry that you kind of have to >.>;

IF you are wanting somethign different to the WIzard, it might be worth it if there are other trap-monkeys to make a social skill/crossbow rogue or Bow Ranger--basically anything that's ranged. Oh! Of course! ranged fighter! you are a more badassed archer than a Ranger, and you can use glorious full plate AC! :D

Stompy
2010-01-24, 04:10 PM
My quick recommendations (and I know I'm reiterating some points):

-If you're going wizard get Abrupt Jaunt because it is an immediate action. If anything looks like it's going to kill you (and you're not flatfooted), jaunt out of attack range, line of sight (or at least find cover). It's a mean-spirited ability but hey, you're about 4 levels behind everyone.

-Incarnum is allowed, so grab the feat Shape Soulmend: Rage Claws. If I believe correctly, that means you can operate normally until you hit -13 hit points (and then you're dead.) Hopefully that feat can give you enough HP to get out of any trouble.

-Never be anything primarily melee ever. You are ~4 levels behind, and even if you have a good melee character, the other players may expect you to go to the front lines. Front lines for you = unhappy death.

-My ultimate recommendation is to talk it out like PersonMan said. If that doesn't work, join another DnD game. I'd hate for a fireball to take you out simply because of this weird imbalanced party.

I've been in one of these imbalanced parties. I did not find it fun at all. Worse off, the higher level PCs took all the loot because they did all the work. (And what's stopping them from doing this?)

EDIT:

Be a monk. Max ranks in Hide and Move Silently. Run the hell away and hide when the party gets in a fight.

Monks are banned (for some reason, hopefully for flavor reasons).

Susano-wo
2010-01-24, 04:12 PM
OH, also, once you get to where you are 1-2 behind them, kill all the players to get all the exp for yourself until you are their level :P

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-01-24, 04:14 PM

*cough*

Anywho...

I'd suggest a Human Warblade 2 and taking Martial Study (for Crusader's Strike) and Martial Stance (for Martial Spirit) in addition to a default set of Steel Wind, Stone Bones, Wolf Fang Strike, and Stance of Clarity. Stone Bones is a given for taking hits, while Steel Wind and Wolf Fang Strike can both earn up to two pips of health from Martial Spirit. From there, I'd mix in two fighter levels so as to help cover the feats needed for TWF (if going sword and board with tiger claw strikes) and do everything possible to pimp out your ability to attack as often as possible.

Stompy
2010-01-24, 04:18 PM
IF you are wanting somethign different to the WIzard, it might be worth it if there are other trap-monkeys to make a social skill/crossbow rogue or Bow Ranger--basically anything that's ranged. Oh! Of course! ranged fighter! you are a more badassed archer than a Ranger, and you can use glorious full plate AC! :D

You can't afford Full Plate! (assuming wealth by level)

Also, Rogue1/Wizard1 isn't bad, sneak attack with orbs/ray of frost/flasks of acid, be as social/steathy as you care for, abrupt jaunt, rage claws, use grease for more sneak attack potential and hilarity, and then go into a good Rogue/Wizard PrC later.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-24, 04:39 PM
You can't afford Full Plate! (assuming wealth by level)

Also, Rogue1/Wizard1 isn't bad, sneak attack with orbs/ray of frost/flasks of acid, be as social/steathy as you care for, abrupt jaunt, rage claws, use grease for more sneak attack potential and hilarity, and then go into a good Rogue/Wizard PrC later.

Spellthief/Wizard is generally better, though. You're down a few skills, but you're Int-based, so it's not like it matters. Also opens up the joy that is Master Spellthief. Personally, I'd focus on ranged touch attacks and just throw globs of acid for 1d3+whatever the hell you can pull for sneak attack.

That being said, this may help you out. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1240)

This, too. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0)

Smiling Knight
2010-01-24, 05:34 PM

Nah, his DM banned monks 'cause he knows how OP they are. Them and those paladins...

Edit: but ninjas are apparently not banned.

Tavar
2010-01-24, 05:49 PM
Or unarmed swordsages...

Though those would probably be banned if you brought it up, so I wouldn't go that route.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-24, 06:20 PM
Sandbox play is alright, or at least it will be if your DM can get a better grasp of game balance. The imbalance in the party makes survivability noticeably more difficult for the lower level characters, and 2 cr 4s is an EL 6 encounter, which is 4 levels higher than the the new guys. With a party of 3 2nd level characters and an unspecified but presumably low number of level 5-7 characters, these encounters are death-traps for, what I'm guessing is, half the party. This is bad. You need to talk to him about this. Let the new guy come in at one level below the party average, or maybe a level below the average EL that the party takes on. But 2nd level when the average EL is 6 or higher? That's not gonna work.

penbed400
2010-01-24, 09:04 PM
Human Wizard (Necromancy) 1/ Pumpkin King 1

Wizard 1: Scribe Scroll, Body Assemblage
Flaw: Heighten Spell
Flaw: Slow Spell
Human: Metamagic School Focus (Necromancy)

Stats in order of importance: INT, CON, DEX, WIS, STR, CHA

Pumpkin king normally takes 3rd level arcane spells but you can cast effective 3rd level arcane spells from a Slow Heightened Level 1 spell with the -1 from Metamagic School Focus. Then just make sure you have a necromancy spell for level 1 and you qualify for taking your next level into Pumpkin King. You now have the unlimited at-will ability to raise 4 undead skeletons to stand in front of you, can cast like a level 2 wizard, have a D8+D4+(2xCON) for hitpoints, you never have to worry about food and as long as you have bodies in front of you it will take a while for monsters to get to you.

I hope that build is right, you didn't say you couldn't use homebrew though I'm sure it would have to be approved by your DM. Besides you might need this to survive, you'll get pretty tough as you level. If anybody sees anything wrong with the build let me know.

Pumpkin King:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Pumpkin_King_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)

Critical
2010-01-25, 09:27 AM
Uh, flaws are optional rules. They're not allowed.

EDIT: Besides, as I read it, the thing is much more better than the ordinary wizard levels without nothing... I don't think that it would be allowed.

faceroll
2010-01-25, 10:39 AM

I have an old school DM who runs the game much the same way. You don't get to just start with a 10th level character- you have to level up to get there.

Also, you end up being 0 to 1 level behind the rest of the party, usually alternating between sessions, since xp and leveling only occurs once, after each session.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-01-26, 02:06 AM
In your opinion. I have heard of many games run in a similar fashion that are thoroughly enjoyable and work just fine. That playstyle may not be to your liking but it may be to others.This is hillarious. as is:

*Psionics, monks and paladins are banned.Psionics can actually be dangerous with enough effort. But monks and pallys are comic relief

Killing the party to force a reboot is freaking hillarious too.

But seriously bust out the cheese until he lets you in at the average party level. Break the sh*t outta the game. Be a druid. Or better yet a Beholder Mage. :smallyuk:

Tavar
2010-01-26, 02:09 AM
I'm going to suggest not being an ass about it. Seriously, he might be running a bad game from your/our perspective, but that doesn't mean you should try and ruin it. If you really think that the game is going to be bad, just don't play.

rezplz
2010-01-26, 02:30 AM
If you want to mock his style of having to survive to get exp, then try going commoner1/survivor1. Have CHA be your highest stat, with CON, INT and DEX your second/third/fourth highest. Get a tower shield and the heaviest armor that you can afford. Don't care about ACP because you shouldn't ever have to make an attack roll. Pimp out your handle animal skill as much as you can - for added lulz, you can even take skill focus. Or one of those +2/+2 to skills feats. Or both.

Sit in the back of the group behind your massive wall and have animals do your bidding. Your other teammates are going to be pulling most of the weight anyway, so all that you have to do is survive. With a good enough INT and being human, you should be able to pick up spot/listen and UMD - or even survival, even though I think its cross-class, since you mentioned that nobody else has survival.

And then ask him why monks are banned after you demonstrate how your commoner is being more effective than an out-of-the-box monk.

Critical
2010-01-26, 10:33 AM
Aside from the hilariousness of taking a Survivor class in a game where you need to survive, the Survivor PrC plainly blows. The monks are not allowed for flavour reasons, paladins are not allowed because he thinks it's hard to play a certain alignment for people(he says he would give it to some, though).
It's a pity my evil plan to take the Mineral Warrior template failed, as the DM told he would let me have it by level four and not now, even Warforged wasn't possible for some nifty DR till that level. Seems like he wants us to really "survive".

jiriku
2010-01-26, 10:47 AM
This is terribly amusing. What is his plan for when the party is six levels higher and he needs to bring a new guy in? Level 2 PC tagging along with EL 12+ encounters?

You mentioned that anyone who dies gets to roll a new character of the same level, but that dying prevents you from getting XP for the session. Is there a way around that, like can you play the session, get your XP, and then do something stupid to get yourself killed? Alternately, it he warm to the idea of you just saying "You know, i'm getting tired of this character. Can I retire him and play another of the same level, as if this guy had died?" If either idea will work, then you can devote 100% of your resources to self-protection and make a completely defensive character, then retire/kill him once he's level-appropriate and replace him with an equal-level character whose build is something you actually want to play.

Critical
2010-01-26, 11:01 AM
This is terribly amusing. What is his plan for when the party is six levels higher and he needs to bring a new guy in? Level 2 PC tagging along with EL 12+ encounters?

You mentioned that anyone who dies gets to roll a new character of the same level, but that dying prevents you from getting XP for the session. Is there a way around that, like can you play the session, get your XP, and then do something stupid to get yourself killed? Alternately, it he warm to the idea of you just saying "You know, i'm getting tired of this character. Can I retire him and play another of the same level, as if this guy had died?" If either idea will work, then you can devote 100% of your resources to self-protection and make a completely defensive character, then retire/kill him once he's level-appropriate and replace him with an equal-level character whose build is something you actually want to play.
Yes, yes and yes. You can roll another one if you're tired of yours before the start of a new session. And I'm definitely doing it now, but I need ideas for something defensive enough.

Incorrect
2010-01-26, 11:57 AM
Bring 47 filled-out char.sheets to the next session. Preferably all suicide bombers. One of them have got to make it to the end of the session.
Maybe when he sees your mortality rate, he will reconsider the "survival"aspect

Amphetryon
2010-01-26, 12:06 PM
Warlock. Eldritch Spear. Stay 200' away from all the combat and plink away. Assuming you can get to 2nd level invocations, Walk Unseen. Bring multiple copies of this character and any that die are replaced by their twin brother, Skippy.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-01-26, 12:44 PM
Kobold, Dragonwrought feat, Loredrake racial variant, Spellhoarding template (+0 LA) from Dragon 313, Sorcerer 2. Get the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) asap. A Spellhoarding dragon replaces their Sorcerer spellcasting with Wizard spellcasting, so more Sorcerer levels will actually grant more levels of Wizard spellcasting ability. You write down your spells on your scales instead of in a book, so they can't be taken away. Get Nerveskitter and Invisibility for combat and otherwise RP as hard as you can.

Edit: Another option would be to make a Whisper Gnome Druid, use a wooden Tower Shield for cover every round in combat. Use your animal companion as a mount and have move-action away from any would-be attackers, then ready an action to move away if anything gets close, every round. Put max ranks in Survival!

Soranar
2010-01-26, 01:33 PM
play an air mephling (+2 DEX, +2 CHA, -2 INT) small size, flight perfect 10

whenever there is combat, fly away and shoot from afar with a ranged weapon

Another_Poet
2010-01-26, 01:46 PM
If you want to mock his style of having to survive to get exp, then try going commoner1/survivor1. Have CHA be your highest stat, with CON, INT and DEX your second/third/fourth highest. Get a tower shield and the heaviest armor that you can afford. Don't care about ACP because you shouldn't ever have to make an attack roll. Pimp out your handle animal skill as much as you can - for added lulz, you can even take skill focus. Or one of those +2/+2 to skills feats. Or both.

Sit in the back of the group behind your massive wall and have animals do your bidding.

This is actually a really powerful tactic, Critical. Obviously it's even better with almost any class combo than Commoner/Survivor, but even so, tower shield + heavy armour + 3 riding dogs can pwn at low levels. I'd consider making one of my levels Druid just so you can heal and get one of those dogs for free as an animal companion. And handle it as a free rather than move action.

Remember to teach all the dogs the trick Attack twice so they can attack any creature type.

Critical
2010-01-27, 11:34 AM
Alright, the DM banned the cross-classing for the starting characters. I'm not playing with that DM again.

Myou
2010-01-27, 12:34 PM
Alright, the DM banned the cross-classing for the starting characters. I'm not playing with that DM again.

He banned multiclass characters? :smallconfused: