PDA

View Full Version : Expedition To Undermountain - IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Koury
2010-01-22, 03:32 PM
Halaster's Call
Just after dawn, a long, rolling earthquake shakes the city awake. Cracks appear in walls and crockery rattles, but no buildings collapse.

Uproar ensues. Earthquakes are almost unheard of in the city. Rumors of disaster soon race through the streets, fueled by the anguish of people across the city whose heads fill with sharp, sudden mental visions of a screaming bearded man whose eyes blaze with rage, sorrow, and swimming stars. The visions shift into scenes of pillars cracking and tumbling, ceilings collapsing in caverns and dark rooms, and surging explosions of blue-white sparks. These tides of fearsome force leave many who receive the visions gasping on their knees, unharmed but overwhelmed by the sensation of great magical forces crashing through them. Repeatedly the screaming face returns, with feelings of strong despair, of something left unfinished—and swept away in great loss and ruin.

What has happened? A few wizards across the city who shared the disturbing visions recognize the screaming face as that of Halaster Blackcloak, the infamous “Mad Mage of Undermountain.”

Soon everyone knows that something terrible has happened in Undermountain. There’s an unknown but exceedingly dark doom approaching the city and the massive dungeon beneath it, and Halaster is very upset about it.

Those who have experienced the visions can’t stop thinking of Undermountain, of walking through its chambers, of finding brightly glowing treasures. They yearn to go there, to answer Halaster’s urgent call. Undermountain awaits, in desperate need. Something down there must be repaired, or renewed, or rescued. Halaster wants something done now, something vital. A terrible calamity must be set right, or greater doom will surely come.

That night, wizards, sorcerers, a scattering of adventurers, and others across the land dream of Undermountain and a screaming Halaster. They all feel a yearning to enter the infamous, legendary dungeon and do “something that must be done.” No one quite knows what that something is, but many momentarily mind-glimpse strange subterranean rooms, weird items, and a rushing Halaster struggling to accomplish various tasks.

Throughout the land, on the morning after the earthquake, wizards, sages, and all sorts of adventurers start packing. The trek to Undermountain has begun.

Waterdeep
Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/TheCity.jpg1. Civic district
2. Guildhall district
3. Inn/Tavern district
4. Average residential district
5. Dwarven district
6. Garrison
7. Magic district
8. Fine shops
9. Marketplace
10. The Plinth
11. Upper-middle class district
12. Fisher’s wharf/Waterfront
13. Wealthy residential district
14. Caravan district
15. Shantytown
16. Gnome neighborhood
17. Slum/Tenement district
18. Tannery district
19. Warehouse district

Waterdeep is primarily a human city with the best natural harbor on the Sword Coast. The harbor and much of the city are sheltered from storms howling across the Sea of Swords by the soaring rampart of Mount Waterdeep.

The city is divided into “wards” (districts). The southwesternmost is Sea Ward, by far the wealthiest part of Waterdeep. It’s crowded with the palatial residences of “old money” nobles, the grandest shops, and great temples. Adventurers might find patrons in Sea Ward, but can expect to be followed by the city Watch at all times. North Ward, the northeasternmost city district, is almost as wealthy as Sea Ward, and is home to most nobles whose villas aren’t in Sea Ward. It’s also where the majority of wealthy but non-noble Waterdhavians dwell, and is dominated by grandiose “new money”
mansions.

Waterdeep’s center holds three districts. Castle Ward, the civic heart of the city, wraps around the landward side of Mount Waterdeep and contains Castle Waterdeep, Piergeiron’s Palace, and the great open marketplace known simply as “the Market.” Directly east of Castle Ward is Trades Ward, the city’s bustling heart of shopkeeping and artisans’ “finework.” It wraps around the City of the Dead, a walled cemetery that by day serves the living as a green, pleasant park—and is locked up at night due to hauntings.

The city’s south end is occupied by another two districts. South Ward, in southeasternmost Waterdeep, is dominated by warehousing, stabling, and caravan-equipping businesses, and is home to many poor laborers. Dock Ward lies to its west, bounding the north and east sides of the harbor. It’s the fishing, naval shipping, and notoriously lawless “seedy” end of Waterdeep, where the smells and squalor are greatest, drunken sailors brawl, and violence and street crime are most common.

It’s been said Waterdeep’s true religion is making money. No official faith dominates, and almost all are tolerated or (in the case of evil or oppressive deities) worshiped in secret. Temples and private shrines are found throughout the city, and in Trades Ward soars the all-faiths tower known as “the Plinth,” serving as a grand temple for all faiths that lack their own holy building. It’s where “clerics for hire” are most likely to be found.

Yawning Portal Inn
The Yawning Portal Inn stands on Rainrun Street in the city’s Castle Ward, two doors west of The Empty Keg Tavern. Right next to the inn, between it and the Keg, stands Mother Salinka’s House of Pleasure, a shabby, low-coin festhall.

The Yawning Portal Inn is built of stone, with a slate roof and an upper floor of guest rooms. Like both of its neighboring businesses, the inn announces itself to the watching world by means of a hanging signboard. The sign reads simply, “The Yawning Portal.” The words are deeply carved in a board weathered to a silvery hue that hangs by two short loops of chain from a black-painted iron pole above the front door.

Durnan, a human, built the inn and still runs it to this day. Inside, the place is rambling and dingy, but it gives the impression of being comfortable rather than dirty and forbidding. Well-worn boards cover the floor. Wood paneling adorns the walls, with an elbow rail usually crowded with not-yet-empty tankards. Rich blue tapestries hang at intervals along the paneled walls. Guests entering from the street step right into the inn’s common room, which is mostly used for dining and drinking. The Entry Well that leads down into the so-called Dungeon Level of Undermountain dominates the area.

As the four of you approach the Yawning Portal you see Durnan standing outside, welcoming in all who would enter.

He spots you approaching and calls out "Hail! From the looks of it, I'd wager you four to be more of these so-called 'Called.' Come on in, we turn away neither those who dream of entering nor those who dare entering Undermountain. Or," he added with a laugh, "those who simply want a good drink!"

Seth1221
2010-01-23, 01:55 PM
I presume you are the owner of this so-called "portal", the Durnan creature? And to anwser your bold question - yes me and my group are to go into the Undermountain. We shall descend underground as soon as it will be possible. Now step aside so we will be able to enter this compound. Unless of course you have got additional information besides the obvious one you shouted at first?

Koury
2010-01-23, 02:02 PM
Durnan seems thrown off for a second by the disrespect in your reply but after looking you over, laughs it off.

"You'd do well to keep that attitude in check, friend. You never know just who might be able to make you regret it." He says with a twinkle in his eye. "Yeah, I built this place myself. As for additional information, you'll find it in spades here. Whether or not that information is true is a different matter all together. Many are those who brave the Dungeon level. Few are those who return."

Seth1221
2010-01-23, 02:10 PM
Very well, we will enter now.

Xavarro led the party into the tavern. There he hoped to gain additional knowledge about the Undermountain. He suspected that the tavern will be full of lesser minds but he doubted that any one of them will prove to be even a minor nuisance in the long run.

Koury
2010-01-23, 02:25 PM
As you enter the Inn you find the place alive with activity, from adventurers who have come to answer Halaster's call to those who have come simply to bask in their reflected glory to those just interested in watching the drama unfold in person.

You enter just in time to see a group of three adventurers being lowered into the infamous Entry Well. It is an open-topped stone ring 40 feet in diameter. A 1-foot-thick rampart wall rises waist-high, encircling air that drifts straight up from Undermountain.

The outside of the well wall is studded at intervals with iron torch brackets, and a block-and-tackle hoist is chained to a stone lintel in the ceiling directly over the well.

A grizzled old man, a priest of Tymora, is standing over the group, blessing them as they descend. Elsewhere you hear the patrons taking bets on how soon or even if they will be returning.

Seth1221
2010-01-23, 02:32 PM
Spread out and try to gain as much intel as your primitive minds can. Xavarro gave the order to the group.

The psion himself came closer to the well trying to get some details about the descending group and maybe find someone suitable for conversation.
Before we go we should learn as much as possible. His psicrystal was resolved, as always.

Eurus
2010-01-23, 04:37 PM
William nods to Xavarro, apparently unfazed by the insult. With his trademark lack of subtlety, the Incarnate marches right up to the priest. "Excuse me, good sir, but my new comrades and I plan to descend into Undermountain shortly, and I was wondering if you might have any advice for us? I understand that few have ever returned from that place..."

A particularly keen observer might have noticed the way that William's eyes kept darting to the open well, as if nervous, but he did his best to keep it hidden.

Adunatar
2010-01-23, 05:26 PM
Primitive minds? I'd say someone needs to keep his tongue in check, at least sometimes. Me, I won't mind, but if he continues that way with the shopkeepers, I'd wager we'd have to do our shopping by the way of stealing... - as usual, Shem decided to keep his mental comments to himself. Jokes can wait, at least until this unexpected patron of his gets the whole group down there. One never knows, and this Xavarro guy seem to be capable of changing his mind quite often, better to be quiet for a while.

- I'm not much into conversations, I'm afraid, and people shy me quite often, - noted the gnome, moving towards the well nevertheless, and looking for a suitable target for a conversation.

DM, are there any obvious ones besides the priest?

Eguzki
2010-01-23, 07:46 PM
Fonrock

Overwhelmed by the scene, Fonrock doesn't even hear Xavarro's comment. He darts directly towards the whole and peers down at its depth. How far does it go down? he ask. The question was not directed at any body in particular in fact he was mostly talking to him self.

Koury
2010-01-23, 08:16 PM
Seth:
You can barely see the group for a brief second before the disappear into darkness. A human, dwarf and elf, from what you can tell. A moment later, you see a light down the well, but it is too far to make out any real detail. It seems to be a few hundred feet to the bottom.

As you look around you see that most of the clients of the Portal are adventurers, ex-adventurers, or would-be adventurers eager to talk over the latest news of Undermountain. Other patrons include sailors, weary Dock Ward shopkeepers, and tired workers from the Keg or Mother Salinka’s.
Eurus:
You approach the priest as he finishes his blessing. He introduces himself as Orbrin Baerent. He comes off as slightly cynical. You learn that Durnan pays a daily retainer fee to the Plinth in order to have a priest here at all times. Orbrin takes the shift often, he says, because he loves the camaraderie of the inn and the food that comes out of its kitchen, and is happy to sit in the common room for long stretches of time.

His only advice to you about Undermountain is simple, if cryptic. "Take the chances you should. Don't take the chances you shouldn't. Far too many people are blind to real power, and too fearful or mistrustful of change to take the chances they should."
Adun:
((First off, sorry I missed your edit.))

You wander around the inn, listening to the conversations around you. Almost all the patrons talk of the earthquake and what the visions the people are having could mean.

As you walk past one of the tables, a half-elf, sitting alone, calls you over.

"I heard you're looking to go down into Undermountain. I may be able to help you out. One of my good friends is selling one-of-a-kind, up-to-date, recently procured maps. If you're interested, once you go down there, follow the hall until you come to the room with many pillars. Stow your weapons. Once you do that, my acquaintance will come out and make the deal with you. Nice and simple."

With that, the half-elf gets up and leaves the table, heading upstairs.

Eguzki:
You can barely see the group for a brief second before the disappear into darkness. A human, dwarf and elf, from what you can tell. A moment later, you see a light down the well, but it is too far to make out any real detail. It seems to be a few hundred feet to the bottom.

Eurus
2010-01-23, 08:55 PM
DM:
William takes the priest's words seriously, of course - cryptic advice from a grizzled old man is always to be taken seriously - and nods gravely. "How many groups have gone down so far?"

Koury
2010-01-23, 09:10 PM
Eurus:((Let's keep it in spoilers until we are a group again. I like it being personalized like that. Feel free to share whatever with the group, of course, once you are back together. And feel free to ask them what they learned as well. It'd be ironic if you all had a piece of some puzzle but never put it together because you guys never asked...))

"Oh, we usually have some foolhardy group head down about once a month. Sometimes they are serious adventurers, sometimes they are simply trying to win a bet. Most don't make it far before that bell rings," he says, pointing to the bell used to summon the lift from below. "That group who just went down is the third group to go since the earthquake yesterday, however. None have returned so far, but thats not cause for alarm just yet. I'd wager this influx will only grow for the next few weeks."

Eguzki
2010-01-23, 09:47 PM
Edit: I don't know why it resent....

Adunatar
2010-01-23, 09:52 PM
Taking mental notes on half-elf's strange proposal, Shem returned to Xavarro and quickly briefed him on his findings:

- There's a guy selling up-to-date maps down there. Room with the pillars somewhere near the entrance, and apparently he doesn't like the sight of drawn weapons... but then again, who does? Anyway, have you got any spare gold hanging in your pockets? A nice map certainly wouldn't hurt...

Seth1221
2010-01-24, 01:40 AM
Indeed I have some fundings that can be used tu purchase a plan. I am certain, however, that the map will cost far more than the value it shall present. Nevertheless, I presume we will need it.

DM:

Xavarro looked at the people inside the tavern
No one even remotely apropriate for a conversation. Maybe this Durnan creature?

Psion approached the tavern owner. When he was sure that he had gained his attention, asked:

What can you tell me about the Undermountain? Have you been down there? If not, can you show me someone who had?

Xavarro asked the questions hoping that Durnan's primitive mind will manage to anwser them all.

Eurus
2010-01-24, 02:16 AM
DM:
"I see... Well, sir, thank you for your time. I'm sure that my comrades and I will be asking for your blessing soon enough."

He makes as if to move on, but then suddenly stops and turns back. "Oh... I don't suppose you know anything about people having... erm, visions? I know that there's been some strangeness going on since the earthquake, but I'm not quite clear on the details. Are these visions common?"

Eguzki
2010-01-24, 08:51 AM
Fonrock
DM:
Fonrock moves to the person closest to him and attempts to engage in conversation:
Are you an adventure? Have you ever been to undermountain? I hear its dangerous. But I also want to see what kind of strange mushrooms are growing down there. Have you seen any?

Adunatar
2010-01-24, 09:26 AM
- One never knows, sometimes a good map could be worth its weight in gold. Nevertheless, if I may, I'd advise we move on to the descent. While there's a chance that some more valuable information could be obtained here, there's even a greater chance that such information will be... factually incorrect, at the very least. And I don't feel qualified to tell the true from false, no, not me.

Koury
2010-01-24, 02:22 PM
Seth
Durnan laughs as you ask your questions. "Have I been to Undermountain? You have much to learn about this place, friend. Yes, I have ventured into that place, and more then once. And I've become a well-off man because of it. Now my place is here, however. I can give you the same advice I give to the parties I personally sponsor: 'If it moves, kill it. If you can't, run.'"

Durnan starts to laugh again but is interrupted by...
Eurus
The old priest thinks for a second before he speaks.

"These visions, as they are called, are a new phenomenon. The mages at the academy say it is the doing of Halaster Blackcloak. They say he has sent out these visions, but no one knows why. If he aimed to bring adventurers down, it has certainly worked, however. As a matter of fact..."

Orbrin is suddenly interrupted by...
Adun
((I don't normally dictate PC actions like this, I'm simply advancing the story))

Your party seems to ignore your comment about departing soon. You decide to head up to the bar until they are ready to go. As you approach the bar...
Eguzki
The patron looks you over once and then goes about ignoring you. You are about to move on to the next person when there is suddenly...

...a scream arising from the well. In an instant the entire establishment is silent.

For a moment, nothing. Durnan comes in from outside and peers down the well.

The scream is heard again, louder this time. A short second after, the bell starts ringing frantically. Someone down there wants the lift, and bad.

Durnan reacts instantly, pulling a lever that sends the lift plummeting down. He instantly starts cranking the wench, pulling the lift up.

The entire bar is on their feet, crowding around the Entry Well. As the lift raises you can see two bodies come into view. One is that of an elf, bruised and covered in blood. The other is that of a human, laying lifeless on the platform floor.

"Orbrin! Prepare yourself!" Durnan shouts to the priest as he continues raising the lift to the top. The patrons step back as the priest begins taking care of the body, his practiced hands instantly begin to mend the broken body.

The elf steps off the lift and immediately sits on the floor, obviously distraught. Durnan speaks first.

"Where is the dwarf who went down with you?"

The elf looks up. "Tcott told us to run. He told us to. We didn't have a choice, we had to run. He told us to! Tcott told us to!"

"Calm down son, you are not to blame for this. Orbrin, how is that one doing?"

The priest finishes casting his spell and says "He is alive and stable. Lets get them out of here, this is not the place to heal."

With that, several patrons take the human body and lead the elf from the Inn. The rest of the patrons go back about their business, slightly more somber then before.

Seth1221
2010-01-24, 02:34 PM
When the commotion erupted Xavarro went a bit closer to the well, trying to see as much as possible.

Obviously they were not prepared enough or they would not have to run back so rapidly.

Xavarro decided to gather the party and compare their information. There were no time to waste on fruitless talk with commoners.

You already told me about the map. He refered to Shem.
Do anyone else have something relevant to say before we depart down?

Eurus
2010-01-24, 02:38 PM
EDIT: Ninja'd!

DM:
Despite his best attempts to appear calm, William gulps nervously. "I, ah... well. Should probably be going. Thank you for your time, sir."

William finds Xavarro, looking rather anxious. "Um. Is there anything else that you still need to find out about? Because I don't, and otherwise, well, I think we should get down there fast before I-we, I mean, before we lose our nerve."

Seth1221
2010-01-24, 02:53 PM
Indeed I believe we are ready to go.

Xavarro approached the well and prepared to descend. The dark tunnels waited for the party to conquer them!

Eurus
2010-01-24, 02:58 PM
William stares down into the blackness for a few moments, his hands clenched tightly on the short barrier. Finally, he tears his gaze away and pulls out a small glass sphere on a leather cord, which he dons as a necklace. The sphere seemed to glow faintly, although it was hard to see in the light up here. Its presence seems to comfort William, though, and he nods with resolve as he too prepares to descend.

Koury
2010-01-24, 03:13 PM
Durnan sees your party preparing to go down.

"You lot are actually headed down?"

Durnan looks at each one of you in turn.

"Alright. Pay the 1 gold per head fee and I'll send you guys down. Orbrin is available to give you a blessing, should you like."

After paying him he says "Up on the lift then, the lot of ya."

Seth1221
2010-01-24, 03:25 PM
Very well I will pay for the party. And you are allowed to give us a blessing before we get down.

After the priest finished his casting the party descended underground via the Entry Well.

Xavarro (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=180674) Male LN Elan
Level 1, Init +3, Speed 30ft
HP 14/14
AC 13 (+0 Armor; +3 Dex), Touch 13, Flat-footed 10
Saves Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +5
Base Attack Bonus +0
Light Crossbow +3 (+3 Dex; +0 BAB) 1d8(19-20x2)
No Armor
No Shield
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 17, Wis 14, Cha 9
Condition/Effects None
Senses Spot: +1; Listen: +1; Search: +3
Location Yawning Portal Inn

Koury
2010-01-24, 03:41 PM
The party assembles on the lift. Durnan begins lowering you into the well as Orbrin says his prayer. Elsewhere in the Inn you can hear people talking about your group, taking bets on you this time.

The last echoes of the crowd’s toasts and betting whisper about you as you descend into the well. As the flickering light from the torches above fades, a chill overtakes you, and you find yourself still sinking with no end in sight. You drop slowly and steadily deeper on the rope, almost as if you were the bait on an unweighted fishing line in placid waters, but the cold and the quiet of the well that surrounds you is anything but peaceful. The silence has more of a threatening quality to it.

After being lowered for what seems like too long a time, you at last see the bottom. Below you stretches sand-covered ground and whatever fate awaits you in Undermountain.

The party steps off the lift and it begins its ascent upward.

Several inches of sand covers the floor of this roughly square room. Broken and dented shields hang on stone walls covered with chalk and charcoal graffiti written in all languages. The ceiling looms a mere 10 feet above you—as it does in the hallway that leads out of the room to the south—but a 30-foot-diameter hole in the ceiling forms a chimney that rises up over a hundred feet.

Eurus
2010-01-24, 03:48 PM
The pendant around William's neck glows brighter as the shaft grows darker, until it shines as brightly as any torch. He stares upward, though, his eye on the slowly shrinking ring of light. He mutters something to himself as the lift reaches the bottom, still gazing at the ceiling: "Traverse all three..."

William Drake (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=180759) Male LN Human
Level 1, Init +1, Speed 30ft
HP 8/8
AC 16 (+3 Armor; +2 Shield; +1 Dex), Touch 11, Flat-footed 15
Saves Fort +5, Ref +1, Will +4
Base Attack Bonus +0
Incarnate Longsword +5 (+2 Str; +0 BAB; +2 Enhancement; +1 Insight) 1d8+4 (19-20/x2)
Sling +2 (+1 Dex; +0 BAB; +1 Insight) 1d4+2 (19-20/x2)
Studded Leather Armor
Heavy Wooden Shield
Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 11
Condition/Effects: None
Soulmelds/Essentia: Incarnate Weapon (2E), Blink Shirt (0E), Incarnate Avatar (1E)
Senses: Spot: +2; Listen: +2; Search: +0

Seth1221
2010-01-24, 03:55 PM
Xavarro looked around the chamber. Claustrophobic surrounding didn't disturb him, he was more than ready to test his remarkable powers against the dangers of Undermountain.

He decided to put William on the lead - his wierd necklace should provide enough light for now. Not to add that he was the front-liner of this party. Xavarro prepared additional sources of light but he didn't want to use them too soon.

Xavarro aproached the coal and chalk graffiti trying to read them or at very least try to understand the general meaning.

Adunatar
2010-01-24, 04:05 PM
As the light from above grew fainter, Shem felt more and more comfortable. It seemed that the shadows are a sorts of a natural habitat for this gnome. His eyes could pierce the dark as in a daylight, his ears twitched slightly, accustoming themselves to the unnatural silence of the place - again, gnome seemed to find a strange comfort in this silence.

Shem (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=7959) Male NE Whisper Gnome
HP 9/9
AC 17 (+3 Armor; +3 Dex; +1 Size), Touch 14, Flat-footed 14
Saves Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +2
Base Attack Bonus +0
Small Light Crossbow +4 (+3 Dex; +1 Size) 1d6 (19-20/x2)
Small Longspear -1 (+1 Size; -2 Flaw) 1d6 (x3)
Small Dagger -1 (+1 Size; -2 Flaw) 1d3 (19-20/x2)
Studded Leather Armor
No Shield
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 7
Senses: Spot: +6; Listen: +6; Search: +8

As soon as Shem made it down, he approached the graffiti, and tried to get a glimplse of meaning from the ones written in any of the languages he knew.

Koury
2010-01-24, 04:18 PM
The graffiti was written in all sorts of languages.

((Stick to the ones you can speak))

Common:
There are many "So-and-so was here"s all over the walls. There are some more interesting messages also:

“Hesod—Went to check out strange music only Jayce can hear. Have a few drinks until we get back.”

“It’s been two days. Leave a message if you have returned. Signed, Hesod.”

“It’s been two weeks. I can wait no longer. I’ll search for you myself. None of our friends would come with me. If you are not with me when you read this, then I am dead. Avenge my death on those who abandoned us in our time of need. Signed, Hesod.”

In the northwest corner: “Here waits a secret door, but you will not find it or you won’t be able to open it, and then you’ll rot here in this pit. Ha ha.”

“Beware the she-wolf and her night hounds. They killed Sarth.”

“You came here unbidden, now you’ll die in this midden.”

“Tymora, remember me.”

“Beware the eastern passages. The Metal Mage has made them his home, and he is not to be trifled with.”

In Goblin:“Many swords come here. Do not stay.”

In Orc:“Durnan is a bastard. I swear by Gruumsh that when I get out of here I’ll stuff his throat with gold pieces until he chokes. Signed, Slurg.”

In Dwarven:“Durembar Ironshanks was here and killed more orcs than he could count.” It has writing in Elven below it.

In Elven:“That means eleven.” This was written underneath a Dwarven message

In Halfling: “When you hear screaming, go the other way.”

In Halfling by another hand: “Coward!”

In Gnome:“Sorci Laughmantle died somewhere in that maze. She wears a heart-shaped brass ring. If you find her, say a prayer over her bones. We didn’t have time.”

Adunatar
2010-01-24, 05:47 PM
Finished with the inscriptions, Shem shrugged and moved towards the exit, obviously intending to scout ahead.

- Don't lose the sight of me, whoever comes next... but don't follow too closely, either.

what are the lighting conditions in the room and corridor beyond? Also, to minimize checks, Shem intends to take 10 on Hide, MS, and Search as he goes (for the total of 27 Hide DC, 23 MS DC, and 18 Search), and to poke the floor with his longspear for the good measure. He would also be scouting ahead, taking 10 as well (for the total of 16 for both Spot and Listen)

Eurus
2010-01-24, 05:55 PM
William follows, barely able to keep track of Shem as the gnome creeps ahead at the edge of the light. He holds his oversized longsword in one hand and his shield in the other, ready for action. And if his knuckles were white, and his eyes a bit wide, well, who could really blame him?

Koury
2010-01-24, 06:13 PM
OOC:As far as I'm aware, the party's only light source is the 30' around the Incarnate. You can, of course, see in the dark 70' There is no ambient light unless otherwise noted, however.

The 10' wide hall leads south for about 30' before heading west. This westward hall continues on for about 60' before becoming a 20' wide hall, still heading west.

Shem:
Ahead of you you can see that the twenty foot wide corridor leads to a room with large pillars. However, as you proceed down the hall you spot not one, but two hidden doors, one leading north from the wide hall, and one south.

Adunatar
2010-01-24, 07:11 PM
Shem proceeded onward, albeit more slowly.

I'll mark the walls with the chalk, and will try to gesture towards them, for William to notice (Spot check for him? I'm not trying to be too subtle, but don't want to blow up my hiding, either). How far away from the secret doors is the room with the pillars, and how far away are the doors from each other? My intention is to scout slightly ahead, then return back, to make sure others party members can safely assemble near the secret doors, without fear of being noticed. Also, for the next 50' or so onward, I'll be taking 20 on my Search checks, instead of 10

My question regarding light conditions was mostly for the other party members. I'm relying on my darkvision instead.

Koury
2010-01-24, 07:21 PM
Shem:The 20 ft wide hall is 75 ft long from the point it expands to the stairs leading to the pillar room. The secret door on the north wall is 40' down the hall. The southern door is 65' down the hall.

As Shem is scouting ahead he suddenly moves to the north wall and marks it with chalk. He points to it and makes a 'door' hand signal to the rest of the group.

Eurus
2010-01-24, 07:56 PM
William slowly advances up to the door, making sure not to move any faster than Shem and keeping an eye out for any more signals.

Seth1221
2010-01-24, 09:00 PM
Xavarro calmly followed the beguiler. He kept behind the incarnate but within the reach of his lightsource.

Shall we inspect the door?
Let him finish the searching first. We will aproach when it is safe.

Eguzki
2010-01-24, 09:11 PM
Fonrock follows close behind Xavarro staying in the shadows cast by the two tall folk. He constantly scans around him for any abnormalities.

He whispers to the small rat on his shoulder: Go on ahead with the gnome. Make sure he doesn't miss anything. Try to stay out of site too.

He then softly lowers the rat to the ground.

Koury
2010-01-24, 09:15 PM
Shem:The north door appears safe to open.

Adunatar
2010-01-24, 09:48 PM
After reaching the end of the 20' corridor, Shem turned around, and returned back to William, gesturing him not to move any further from the secret door.

There seem to be not just one, but two secret doors in this hall - one here and another one over there. This north one seems to be safe to open. The other one... I'm not sure. Also, the room down the hall is full of pillars... remember what the half-elf said?

DM: What about the south door? Did I find any nasties on it, or didn't check it at all?

Eurus
2010-01-24, 10:00 PM
William nods. "You said something about a map, right? Well, why don't we head up there first, then come back to this door? If we can afford a map, it seems like a good idea to buy one."

Koury
2010-01-24, 10:13 PM
Shem:((I was unsure if you were advancing that far w/o the party.))

The southern secret door also seems safe to open.

Seth1221
2010-01-25, 02:14 AM
Xavarro stepped closer to William and Shem nodding in agreement.

Indeed a map would be most welcome. We must, however, consider the chance of a trap. After all we are not in a stranger-friendly surrounding. And the idea of stowed weapons is not soothing as well.

The psion walked around a bit obviously thinking about something.

Well, our possibilities are limited. You, Shem creature, shall stick to the shadows. If they won't discover you, we will gain an advantage in case of a fighting. Next, William creature - stay close, you will protect my precious mind. Oh and you gabby druid stay a few feet away from us. You can take your own in case of a fighting and this way not all of us will be afected by any hipothetical area spells

With a plan in his head Xavarro lead the party to the room with pillars.

Ready action - in case of a fighting - manifest Inertial Armor

Koury
2010-01-25, 02:34 AM
The party advanced, plan in motion. Xavarro, followed closely by William and Fonrock, headed into the room with the pillars. Shem stays back, sticking to the shadows.

Broad steps lead down into an irregularly shaped room filled with a forest of twelve thick granite pillars. The vertebrae of some large beast lie scattered about the floor in a haphazard fashion. There are three other sets of broad stairs and exits, one for each compass point. Otherwise, the room appears empty. On the southeastern diagonal wall someone has written “Certain death this way!” with an arrow pointing at the southern exit. On the northwestern diagonal wall someone else has written “Even worse this way!” with an arrow pointing to the northern exit. Unlike in much of the rest of the dungeon, the ceiling in this room appears to be about 12 feet tall.

Xavarro/Fonrock/Shem
As you descend the stairs you realize you have entered an antimagic zone.

As Shem finds a good place to lie in wait amongst the pillars, the rest of the party stows their weapons.

Nothing happens for a moment. Suddenly you hear a voice come from the north.

"I was told there were four of you. Where is your last member?"

A petite human female with alabaster skin, emerald green eyes, and a head crowned with ringlets the color of flame, stands at the top of the northern steps. She wears an exquisite russet gown and a supremely haughty, sneering expression. Directly in front of her, two muscular, savage, seven-foot-tall humanoids stand menacingly. They watch you with undisguised hatred and loathing. Coarse hair covers their bodies, and they carry morningstars.

Seth1221
2010-01-25, 02:46 AM
Xavarro stepped forward acting bold (or maybe he really was?) and showing his leader position.

Our last member is scouting the corridors which was true, in a sense.

I was told we can make a deal here. Are you the map-selling creature?

Be careful with her. She looks like someone we don't want to mess with. Yes, hard to admit but psicrystal's advice was solid. The woman looked dangerous, not to mention the two minions.

I am Xavarro. May I inquire your name?

STATS:

HP 14/14
Base Attack Bonus +0
No Armor
No Shield
Condition/Effects None
Location Yawning Portal Inn

Koury
2010-01-25, 02:56 AM
"Name? My name is Errya, and yes, I have the maps for sale. They are post-earthquake maps leading to the Falling Stair. 20 gold. Do you want it or not?"

Seth1221
2010-01-25, 03:05 AM
Very well, we will purchase the map. Here is your gold.

Xavarro took 3 gold pieces from his companions and added his 17. He then stepped forward to the mysterious woman, ready for exchange.

Allow me to check the map first. I must be ensured that we are buying solid information, after all.

Koury
2010-01-25, 03:13 AM
Errya hand the map to one of her allies who then brings it to Xavarro. He takes the gold and heads back. The three of them head north without another word.

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/UndermountainMap1.jpg

Eurus
2010-01-25, 03:30 AM
William rudely looks over Xavarro's shoulder at the map, and scratches his head. "Er... it's better than nothing, I suppose. What's that mean, though? 'Hungry face?'"

Seth1221
2010-01-25, 04:17 AM
Nothing good. Xavarro closed the map and hid it in his backpack.

For now I want to see those secret passages Shem creature has found.

Adunatar
2010-01-25, 07:14 AM
We've wasted 20 gold, or so it seems. That much I could have scouted ahead all by myself. What puzzles me, though, is that they came from the northern direction, where, according to some adventurers, is something that's worse than certain death. I wonder whether she's a part of some larger gathering up there...

Still shaking his head doubtfully, gnome followed Xavarro to the secret doors, intending to activate the closest (southern) one first.

Eguzki
2010-01-25, 09:18 AM
Fonrock is peering over the map curiously.

I think Xavarro is right. Lets go check those secret doors that Shem found. Maybe there is something useful there or perhaps an easy way to bypass the huge chasm labeled on the map. But then again the chambers beyond them might have fallen. It was a pretty big earthquake after all.

The gnome then bends over close to his rat and whispers some words int Gnomish:

Go on ahead and let me know if you see anything

Koury
2010-01-25, 03:33 PM
The four of you backtrack to the southern hidden door. Shem steps forward and opens it, revealing an apparently empty room beyond. The room is about 20' by 30' and has no further exits. It seems this place has not seen much activity recently.

Seth1221
2010-01-25, 03:45 PM
Xavarro tries to spot anything unusual basing his expertise upon his knowledge of dungeons.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2010-01-25, 03:49 PM
This room appears to simply be a dead end. You assume this was built as a safe-room of sorts, judging by the apparent lack of function and hidden door.

Adunatar
2010-01-25, 03:52 PM
Satisfied by Xavarro's findings, Shem moved on to the other door, closing the secret door (if it's possible)

Koury
2010-01-25, 03:57 PM
The party leaves the southern secret door behind, heading toward the northern door.

Shem:As you move to open the door, you think you hear something on the other side. You can't tell what it was, or even if you actually heard something.

Eguzki
2010-01-25, 04:51 PM
Fonrock is simply standing about following the party as it moves from one area to the next.

OC:
I'll be making spot and listen checks continually by the way. I think you mentioned that you will be rolling those for use. Or do you want us to roll them

Koury
2010-01-25, 04:55 PM
OoCI'm making rolls all the time :smallbiggrin: You can make your own rolls and I'll use that though, if you'd prefer. I just like avoiding the whole "I got a 4 on my search so I'll search again" thing

Adunatar
2010-01-25, 06:24 PM
I think I've heard something. Keep away from the door, just in case - I'll try to scout ahead.

Shem will hide (take 10) and will open the secret door, trying to stay hidden

Koury
2010-01-25, 06:37 PM
Upon opening the door, sounds of talking and joking become obvious. They are speaking Goblin. There is a hall beyond the door, opening into a room about 20 ft north.

Goblin:They seem to be joking and laughing. They seem to be just passing time, judging from the conversations. No one has noticed the door opening, it would appear.

Adunatar
2010-01-25, 09:00 PM
Shem signaled the rest of the party to keep quiet, and carefully looked around the corner, peering into the darkness, trying to distinguish the source of sounds...

with my darkvision, I should see them quite clearly, unless they're behind some sort of an obstacle. Hide and MS take 10, as usual - this should be more than enough for the goblins (or whoever they might be) ahead

Koury
2010-01-25, 09:09 PM
ShemEight small humanoids with flat faces, broad noses, pointed ears, wide mouths, and small, sharp fangs lurk within this room.

Koury
2010-01-25, 10:47 PM
Map
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/SluggardGuardpost.jpg
Shem
William
Xavarro
Fonrock

Adunatar
2010-01-26, 09:06 AM
Hush-a-bye, goblin, in dungeon room... - bleated gnome as he aimed the spell.

Sleep DC 17, aimed to cover the four goblins in the upper left corner (DMG p.307 for the shape of a 10' burst, it should cover all 4). Also, initiative [roll0]

BTW, I still haven't got my answer on whether all of us gain a surprise round, or just me

Koury
2010-01-26, 01:41 PM
Combat Log:[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

3 of the monsters go down. The rest quickly drop their
petty amusements and prepare for combat. One goblin appears more confident and capable than the others, wearing better armor and wielding a longsword rather than a morningstar. He orders the others around with harsh, short phrases in the goblin tongue, and suddenly the group moves with purpose as it spreads out around you.

OOC
The one who resisted the sleep spell is the one in A3, as it were. He is also the longsword wielding goblin. Also, a reminder that battle logs can be opened after battle, but not during.

Seth1221
2010-01-26, 01:44 PM
OOC:

[roll0]

STATS:

HP 14/14
Base Attack Bonus +0
No Armor
No Shield
Condition/Effects None
Location Tunnels

Koury
2010-01-26, 01:51 PM
OOC [roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2010-01-26, 02:00 PM
The goblin in F3, responding to the longsword goblins orders, moves NW to the sleeping goblin and wakes him up. It is Williams turn.

Combat LogG7 - 19
William - 15
G3 - 9
G8 - 9
Xavarro - 8
Shem - 7
G5 - 5
Fonrock - 3
G6 - 2
[roll0] for next round

Adunatar
2010-01-26, 03:36 PM
Go for the sleepers, before they're woken up! - screamed Shem, seeing that the element of surprise has been lost, and readying the longspear.

First goblin to close with me gets an AoO

And I don't see the coordinates on the map...

Eguzki
2010-01-26, 07:51 PM
You filthies. You killed that dwarf and human. That wasn't nice. Prepare to die!!

Great overtakes the small gnome as he takes a stand beside William. He is ready sword in one hand and Scimitar in the other.

Init [roll0]

Stats
Fonrick (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=180819)
M CN Forest Gnome Druid (Root Walker), Level 1, Init +2, HP 10/10, Speed 20ft
AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +6, Base Attack Bonus 0
Scimitar (-) +2 (1d4, 18-20/x2)
Sling (20) +3 (1d3, x2)
Hide armor, Heavy Wooden sheild (+3 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex, +1 Size)
Abilities Str 12, Dex 15, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 9
Condition None
AC: albino rat

OoC
I'm not sure if you want us to post in Init order or simply post regardless but the action will take place in order of init. I thought of this after I posted my action. If I go latter simply Disregard what I wrote and pretend like I wrote it in my rightful turn.

Eurus
2010-01-26, 11:34 PM
OOC:
I know the map isn't technically oriented so that north = up right now, but I'll pretend it is for the sake of convenience. :smallwink:

Moving 5 feet west, 20 feet north, 5 feet northwest. Readying a standard action to teleport 5 feet with the blink shirt to dodge from the first thing that tries to attack me.

William runs up past Shem, ready for battle. "Minions of chaos! You're going to have to get past me, first!"

He assumes a defensive stance, sword at the ready, and seems to flicker slightly.

Koury
2010-01-27, 12:00 AM
The goblin with the longsword (A3) acts next. He issues orders to the others and then shakes the goblin near him (B2) awake. Another goblin moves (G3-C1) and awakens the remaining sleeping goblin.

Xavarro is up next.

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/SluggardGuardpost-2.jpg

Combat Log:G7 - 19
G4 - 18
William - 15
G3 - 9
G8 - 9
Xavarro - 8
Shem - 7
G5 - 5
Fonrock - 3
G6 - 2
[roll0] for next round
[roll1] for next round

Eurus
2010-01-27, 12:01 AM
"Come and fight, cowards!"

Seth1221
2010-01-27, 01:14 AM
Xavarro runs toward the battle - his crossbow ready. He releases a deadly bolt to the closest goblin, waiting for the result.

OOC:

I go to K6(I think:smalltongue:) and shoot to goblin E5. His within 30' from William so it's a clear shot.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2010-01-27, 01:31 AM
OOCK6 is against the right-hand wall. Is that your intended location?

The bolt misses its mark, crashing into the wall opposite the goblin.

Shem acts next.

Seth1221
2010-01-27, 01:53 AM
OOC:

Yeah I think so. Near the wall - above Shem's current location and to the right.

Adunatar
2010-01-27, 08:18 AM
Which goblin is which #? It helps to know who's who, to know whom is it better to disable first. Also, where is the goblin leader?

EDIT: nevermind, figured it out

Should have lured them away into the corridor - thought Shem, seeing as his strategy failed. He still had spells available, but was hoping to conserve them - this might not be the last time they encounter an opposition in this dungeon. With this in mind, he decided to switch to the more mundane means of affecting his foes, and, dropping the spear, aimed his crossbow at the nearest goblin...

Attack 1d20+4 Damage 1d6

Seth1221
2010-01-27, 08:30 AM
ooc:

leader is number 3 - started at A3.
Just kill them all!!!:smallbiggrin:

Adunatar
2010-01-27, 08:33 AM
rolling again: Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]

Adunatar
2010-01-27, 08:35 AM
Crit: [roll0]

Koury
2010-01-27, 03:48 PM
Shem's bolt sinks into the goblin with force, bringing him to the ground instantly.

It is the druids turn now.

Seth1221
2010-01-27, 03:54 PM
OOC:

I think that Eguzki posted his action earlier

Koury
2010-01-27, 03:57 PM
OOCSo, hes just standing next to William?

Seth1221
2010-01-27, 04:02 PM
OOC:

I'm not sure - there are no goblins in his range anyway, right?

Eguzki
2010-01-27, 04:27 PM
OoC
Yes I'll just stand next william waiting for them to attack.

Koury
2010-01-27, 04:27 PM
Fonrick advances closer to the fight as two of the goblins charges William. Just as the first one reaches him, he teleports 5 ft away, dodging the attack. The second goblin's charge finds him, however, and connects. William takes a minor blow (-2 hp).

A third goblin runs out of the room, through the doors to the northwest.

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/SluggardGuardpost-4.jpg
[roll1]

G7 - 19 - -2 AC
G4 - 18
William - 15
G3 - 9
G8 - 9
Xavarro - 8
Shem - 7
G1 - 7
Fonrock - 3
G6 - 2 - -2 AC
G2 - 2

Map fixed. Williams turn.

Eurus
2010-01-27, 05:39 PM
OOC:
William takes a 5-foot step to I-6 to give the others some room to advance, if they want. He swings at goblin number seven.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Roaring (with a surprising amount of volume), William slices at the goblin that struck him. His sword seems to hum faintly, leaving behind perfectly smooth trails of silvery light.

Koury
2010-01-27, 05:54 PM
The goblin dodges Williams swing. It is obvious this is not its first fight. The goblin with the sword (3) advances to G4, still issuing commands to all the other goblins. As he does so, another goblin (8) runs out of the room also. The goblin with the longsword seems to be waiting for something.

Combat Log:Just a reminder, combat logs are ok to open AFTER the combat. I can tell this has not been followed by at least some of you (though it's not a big deal so far). Lets keep it closed until after combat though.

G7 - 19 - -2 AC
G4 - 18
William - 15
G3 - 9 - Readied Action
G8 - 9
Xavarro - 8
Shem - 7
G1 - 7
Fonrock - 3
G6 - 2 - -2 AC
G2 - 2

Xavarro is up next, followed immediately by Shem.

Seth1221
2010-01-27, 06:06 PM
Xavarro struck the goblin leader's mind with a powerful blast.

Mind thrust- will save DC14 if failed 1d10 damage.
[roll0]

Koury
2010-01-27, 06:16 PM
Combat Log[roll0] vs DC 14

Xavarro You feel your mental assault succeed.

Shem is up.

Seth1221
2010-01-28, 02:00 AM
Strike the leader! There my be reinforcements back there! Remember - army without a general is far less useful!

Adunatar
2010-01-28, 10:08 AM
Wear down the mooks, and the leader will fall!

Shem reloaded the crossbow and launched the bolt at another goblin.

Attacking goblin H5: [roll0] [roll1]

Koury
2010-01-28, 03:20 PM
Combat LogG7 - 19 - -2 AC
G4 - 18
William - 15
G3 - 9 - Readied Action
G8 - 9
Xavarro - 8
Shem - 7
G1 - 7
Fonrock - 3
G6 - 2 - -2 AC
G2 - 2

Another goblin (1) runs out of the room. Fonrick is up.

Eguzki
2010-01-28, 07:31 PM
Fonrock moves closer to the goblin, his scimitar high in the air reflecting the blue light from william's necklace. With a flash it stikes down at the green creature.

five foot step to J5 i believe and attack goblin number 7
[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2010-01-28, 07:47 PM
Fonrock advances and delivers a devastating blow to the goblin. As he does so, the goblin leader issues more commands. One of the goblins (6) near William steps to his side and attacks and another goblin (2) rushes from the room. William dodges the blow this time. The injured goblin (7) moves to get a better swing at Fonrock, swinging his morningstar savagely, dealing 4 damage.

William is up next.

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/SluggardGuardpost-5.jpg

Combat Log[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

G7 - 19 - 1 HP
G4 - 18
William - 15
G3 - 9 - Readied Action - 4 HP
G8 - 9
Xavarro - 8
Shem - 7
G1 - 7
Fonrock - 3
G6 - 2 - -2 AC
G2 - 2

Eurus
2010-01-29, 11:29 AM
William responds to the goblin's attack with a swing of his own, bringing his sword slashing down overhead.

OOC:
Attacking goblin 6.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2010-01-29, 02:45 PM
And with that blow, the goblin drops before William. No sooner then William can turn his attention to anything else does the goblin leader rush forward and attack. William manages to parry the blow.

Xavarro is next, followed by Shem.

Combat Log:[roll=G3 Attack]1d20+4]
[roll0]

G7 - 19 - 1 HP
G4 - 18
William - 15
G3 - 9 - 4 HP
G8 - 9
Xavarro - 8
Shem - 7
G1 - 7
Fonrock - 3
G2 - 2

Koury
2010-01-29, 02:46 PM
Messed up my attack roll.

[roll0]

Seth1221
2010-01-29, 03:17 PM
Xavarro steps back readying his crossbow for another shot. But seeing as the leader is engaged in a fight, the psion decides to make another assault on the fragile goblinoid mind.

5foot step back. Reload the crossbow. Then another mind thrust on the goblin leader - DC14
[roll0]

STATS:

HP 14/14
Base Attack Bonus +0
No Armor
No Shield
Power Points 3/5
Condition/Effects None
Location tunnels

Koury
2010-01-29, 03:22 PM
Combat Log[roll0] vs DC 14

Xavarro's assault on the goblin leaders neural pathways succeeds, killing it.

Shem is up.

Seth1221
2010-01-29, 03:31 PM
OOC:

a map update would be welcome:smallbiggrin:. There's only one goblin in the room now, right?

Koury
2010-01-29, 03:37 PM
OOCYeah, just #7, above Fonrick

Adunatar
2010-01-29, 04:42 PM
Shem launched another bolt at the remaining goblin

Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]

Koury
2010-01-29, 05:51 PM
The bolt flies wide as Fonrock makes his move.

Fonrock is up.

Eguzki
2010-01-30, 12:09 AM
Shocked by the hit from goblin, Fonrock steps back preparing to defend himself.

OoC:
five foot step back and take a total defensive action.

Stats:
M CN Forest Gnome Druid (Root Walker), Level 1, Init +2, HP 11/11, Speed 20ft
AC 20, Touch 15, Flat-footed 18, Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +6, Base Attack Bonus 0
Sling (20) +3 (1d3, x2)
Hide armor, Heavy Wooden sheild (+3 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex, +1 Size, +2 Misc)
Condition None

Koury
2010-01-30, 12:45 AM
The last remaining goblin withdraws all the way out of the room.

We are out of combat now, proceed as usual. +150 XP each. Combat logs are open.

Seth1221
2010-01-30, 02:48 AM
Stay focused! Those goblins are still nearby. We must proceed with caution. William creature you stay on gaurd and we will see what the goblins had with them.

The psion was satisfied - the power of his mind again proved to be a most deadly weapon, far more useful then swords and arrows. He stands still for a second - waiting for applause - but when none come he turns to the corpses, feeling offended.

Xavarro searches through the corpses looking for anything useful. He keeps in mind the next chamber but a recon would be in place, before they can proceed.

I'm not sure if you want the search roll but here goes
[roll0]
...no comment...

Eurus
2010-01-30, 02:53 AM
EDIT: Ninja'd. :smallredface:

William nods, and interposes himself between the way the goblins left and the rest of the party. He continues to brandish his sword, and the adrenaline seems to have made him forget his nervousness for the time.

Seth1221
2010-01-30, 02:57 AM
Eurus:

Remember - I can read your mind:smallwink:

Adunatar
2010-01-30, 01:26 PM
Shem didn't lose any time to inspect the bodies of goblins for whatever valuables they might have possessed.

Search [roll0]

Koury
2010-01-30, 05:44 PM
As you are searching the bodies, there is suddenly a loud roar as four goblins run in from the secret door and hurl spears at you!

Shem, William and Xavarro all hear them enter and can act in the surprise round.

Two of the goblins (1, 2) miss, throwing wide, but the third's (4) javelin hits Fonrock, dealing 1 damage.

Shem, William and Xavarro are all up next. Remember, standard actions only this round.

OOCI have rolled initiative for everyone already. Also, wow that combat log sucked to type up.

Map
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/SluggardGuardpost-6.jpg

Combat Log [roll0] vs DC 15
[roll1] vs DC 15
[roll2] vs DC 16
[roll3] vs DC 15

[roll4] vs Shem
[roll5]

[roll6] vs Xavarro
[roll7]

[roll8] vs Fonrock
[roll9]

[roll10] vs Xavarro
[roll11]

[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

Adunatar
2010-01-30, 07:15 PM
Go to SLEEP, and don't mess with us! - shrieked Shem, hastily weaving an incantation.

Sleep spell, yet again. DC 17. Area of effect should cover all four, assuming they have already moved during the surprise round.

EDIT: Statblock Shem (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=7959) Male NE Whisper Gnome
HP 9/9
Base Attack Bonus +0
Studded Leather Armor
No Shield

Koury
2010-01-30, 07:22 PM
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

As Shem finishes his spell, all four goblins fall unconscious.

Adunatar
2010-01-30, 07:55 PM
There we go, sleep tight. Let's slit their throats while they're snoozing, - gnome picked up his spear, -search the bodies, and continue exploring. So far, so good.

Koury
2010-01-30, 08:05 PM
OOC:Combat logs are open again. Also, good thing you guys broke the first group before the second group flanked. That'd have sucked.

Gain 100 XP as the remaining goblins are CDG'd.

Body Search Results:6 suits of leather armor, small sized
6 morningstars, small sized
3 javelins, small sized
1 suit of studded leather armor, small sized
1 longsword, small sized

Adunatar
2010-01-30, 08:20 PM
I wonder whether there's any market value in all this junk... - pondered Shem, looking at the pile of armor and weapons from goblins.

Appraise [roll0], though I bet all shops upstairs are stuffed with such loot already

Koury
2010-01-30, 08:30 PM
ShemYou believe it wouldn't be out of line to expect around 75 gp for the entire lot.

Adunatar
2010-01-30, 08:49 PM
We could probably get about 70-80gp for this stuff upstairs, but hauling it all right now is probably not a good idea. Maybe let's hide it in that secret room I found earlier, and pick it up on our way back?

Eguzki
2010-01-30, 09:08 PM
Fonrick takes the javelin out of his leg and then rubs the wound with his right hand. After a few seconds he moves his hand to his shoulder where he had been hit by the goblin earlier in the fight.

He then looks over at william, Do you want me to make you feel better. It doesn't seem to be too deep but I can fix it if you want. But that would be all the magic I can do today. Perhaps we should wait but I can still fix you if you want.

He then moves closer William extending his little hand.

CLW [roll0]

Eurus
2010-01-30, 09:35 PM
"Thank you for the offer, but I'm quite fine right now. Just a scratch, that's all. Save it for later."

Stats:
William Drake (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=180759) Male LN Human
HP 6/8
Base Attack Bonus +0
Incarnate Longsword +5 (+2 Str; +0 BAB; +2 Enhancement; +1 Insight) 1d8+4 (19-20/x2)
Studded Leather Armor
Heavy Wooden Shield
Soulmelds/Essentia: Incarnate Weapon (2E), Blink Shirt (0E), Incarnate Avatar (1E)

Seth1221
2010-01-31, 02:28 AM
Xavarro pokes one of the corpses with a smile - those vermins stood no chance against his team. He was satisfied - he has chosen his minions well.

We may as well hide this junk in the secret chamber. I am wondering though where did those goblins appear from, exactly. The tunnels must be connected somehow. Let's inspect further.

With this said, the team goes towards the tunnel the goblins disappeared in in the first place.

STATS:

HP 14/14
Base Attack Bonus +0
No Armor
No Shield
Power Points 3/5
Condition/Effects None
Location tunnels

Koury
2010-01-31, 02:40 AM
The party proceeds west out of the double doors. About 40 ft down the hall, you come to a 4-way intersection. To the north and west, the hall stretches as far as you can see. To the south, you can see the room with many pillars where you bought the map.

Seth1221
2010-01-31, 03:07 AM
And so it seems we have made a full circle. The goblins knew their way around here - nothing too uncommon considering that they have been living here. The question is - which way should we go now.

I'm not sure if that Errya would be happy to see us. She also gave us an incomplete map - without her hideout it may seem. And why would shegive us map with the western part? Is there something she wants to get rid of?

Indeed. Xavarro then turns to the company I would like to come back to this map-selling creature later, when we know more about these tunnels. Basically that leaves us with one direction and two choices. Should we go according to the map I have bought or proceed with this newly discovered tunnel.

More then his companions, Xavarro was actually asking himself the question. Nevertheless it looked as if he was speaking to the party.

Eurus
2010-01-31, 03:53 AM
Glad to have his opinion asked (poor fellow), William speaks up. "I think we should follow the map, for now. I mean, someone must have gone that way already for there to be a map at all, even a bad one. It seems like a safer choice to me."

Seth1221
2010-01-31, 03:59 AM
I was not aware that I hired a coward... nor that I asked for anyone's opinion... Either way we should move. We will stick to the purchased map.

And so the team fallows the map directions.

Adunatar
2010-01-31, 08:04 AM
It's unwise to belittle one's own companions, as one's hide might depend on their actions... someday, at least. Plus, compared to what could be encountered in these dungeons, we are quite frail, so let's not indulge ourselves in false bravery. The best battle is the one not fought, or how was that saying going...

With these words, Shem assumed his usual scouting position ahead of the party, fading from view for anyone save the next party member following him.

take 10 on Hide, MS, Search - as usual

Shem (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=7959) Male NE Whisper Gnome
HP 9/9
Base Attack Bonus +0
Studded Leather Armor
No Shield

Koury
2010-01-31, 08:34 AM
This long hall is littered with shards of glass. It stretches into the darkness. Five-foot-deep alcoves are set into the walls on either side at five-foot intervals. Large, empty wooden frames hang in each niche, with bits of shattered mirror clinging to their inside edges like broken teeth in gaping mouths. The frames bear ornate carvings of ghoulish faces and demonic forms. As you pass down the hall, you note that the frame hanging in each alcove appears to be unique. One is carved with daisy flowers, another with roses, and still another with the feathers of some bird. Two unbroken mirrors hang just ahead on your right and left. Mirrors like these two are clearly the source of the glass covering the floor. A clear mirror framed with wooden carvings of dolphins and fish hangs in a niche on the north side of the wall, and a cloudy mirror with ghoulish faces hangs over a flat section of wall where it seems a niche would normally be.

ShemAs you look into the clear mirror, you spot a skeleton running forward, it seems to be behind you. Surprise round.

Adunatar
2010-01-31, 03:14 PM
Ow! What the ...? - gasped Shem, sharply turning around, and starting to run away from the strange mirror.

Move back to the group, if I can

Koury
2010-01-31, 05:18 PM
As Shem retreats back to the group, you see a skeleton jump out of the clear mirror. It raises its greatsword and stands there, waiting.

Seth1221
2010-01-31, 05:24 PM
Xavarro examines the skeleton from a distance, trying to judge what thread he may represent. Maybe it is some sort of guardian?

[roll0]

Koury
2010-01-31, 05:26 PM
Seth:I'll take that roll (14) and apply it to your will save.

You disbelieve the skeleton. It is an illusion, though a good one.

Seth1221
2010-01-31, 05:35 PM
You may relax. It is an ilusion not a real undead. But I must admit that this particular illusion is quite complex and real-like. We shall proceed with caution.

Saying this Xavarro steps to the mirror, being especially carefull to not to look in the reflection. He tries to examine the mirror.

[roll0]

Eurus
2010-01-31, 05:40 PM
Slightly resentful of Xavarro by this point, William starts poking around at the empty frames. He tests the daisy-carved frame, trying to see if it can be removed from the wall.

Koury
2010-01-31, 05:52 PM
The frame is indeed removable, if heavy and awkward to carry.

XavarroThe mirror seems in all ways to be a normal mirror. You do note, however, that the cloudy mirror at the end of the hall is the only frame here to not be unique. It matches one of the empty frames at the beginning of the hall.

ShemThe cloudy mirror with the carvings of ghoulish faces doesn’t look right. The surface of the mirror appears rough rather than smooth, and a similar roughness appears on the wall behind it. As you watch, you think you see a slight movement in the wall and the mirror hanging on it. It’s an almost imperceptibly slow pulse or sway.

Seth1221
2010-01-31, 05:59 PM
It seems that this particular mirror Xavarro points at the cloudy mirror next to him matches the frame way back at the beginning of this corridor. William creature try to move the mirror to that frame - be careful!

Are you sure it's a good idea? It may be a trap.

Yes, I am aware of that - but whatever happens the incarnate will take the first blow. I can risk that much. Either way he should survive anything that could possibly appear from that mirror.

Eurus
2010-01-31, 06:01 PM
Rolling his eyes, William leans the frame he already took down against the wall, and goes to switch the positions of the clear mirror and the identical frame.

Adunatar
2010-01-31, 06:54 PM
I start to see things... did that much time pass already, since we descended? Do I need rest? - Shem looked slightly concerned, though he didn't say why. He noted, however, that whatever magic - or trap - was relying on the matching frames, it's probably gone now, as the matching mirror is destroyed.

Koury
2010-01-31, 07:06 PM
William walks toward the clear mirror. As he reaches out to grab it lashing pseudopods emerge from the cloudy mirror, reaching toward you.

William dodges the first one but the second one makes contact. William feels a thick adhesive substance covering the psuedopod. It tries to grapple him.

Combat Log[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2010-01-31, 07:12 PM
Combat Log[roll0]

Koury
2010-01-31, 07:19 PM
OOCI don't think you can beat a 29 so I'm proceeding as if you failed.

As the mirror secures its grip on William, suddenly a mouth forms and speaks in heavily accented Common.

"I will let the rest of you go if you let me have this one."

Eurus
2010-01-31, 07:31 PM
OOC:
Yeah, a 29 is beyond me.

"Don't be silly, they'd never leave me!" William suddenly stops, perhaps thinking of Xavarro, and glances back anxiously. "Uh, right, guys?"

Eguzki
2010-01-31, 09:29 PM
Let him go! You will not take him nor any of us. You are a miss placed freak and we will shatter into one million pieces. William hang on. We'll save you.

The small gnome whispers a few words to his rat as it darts off moving behind the mirror attempting to flank it. Picking up a pebble on the ground the gnome loads and fires his sling at the mirror.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Fonrick
M CN Forest Gnome Druid (Root Walker), Level 1, Init +2, HP 11/11, Speed 20ft
AC 20, Touch 15, Flat-footed 18, Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +6, Base Attack Bonus 0
Sling (20) +3 (1d3, x2)
Hide armor, Heavy Wooden sheild (+3 Armor, +2 Shield, +2 Dex, +1 Size, +2 Misc)
Condition None

Koury
2010-01-31, 09:36 PM
OOCWow, roll to confirm.

Combat Log[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

And then all four of you are up before it goes. Technically Fonrock, William, Shem and Xavarro, but go in whatever order unless you need someone else to go first or want to wait for whatever reason.

Eurus
2010-01-31, 09:51 PM
William starts struggling even more violently, trying to escape. Somehow, he only manages to get himself even more stuck.

OOC:
[roll0]

Stats:
HP 6/8
Base Attack Bonus +0
Studded Leather Armor
Heavy Wooden Shield

Koury
2010-01-31, 09:52 PM
The creature maintains its hold rather effortlessly.

Adunatar
2010-01-31, 10:48 PM
Next time, I should trust my senses more. I have seen there was something wrong with the mirror, I've seen it! And now poor William is caught, and from the way it looks, we might need to look for another warrior pretty soon.

Shem frantically tried to remember anything about the creature, but nothing came to mind - it wasn't exactly his area of study. Still, he wasn't about to give up just yet. If the creature is bargaining with them, instead of killing them all outright... let's bargain. Shem moved farther away - just in case - and squeaked from relative safety:

What do you need him for, creature?

Koury
2010-01-31, 10:51 PM
"Food," the creature replies.

Adunatar
2010-01-31, 11:16 PM
Food? Look at him, he's all bones and no nourishment! Fonrick, hold off your rat, before it becomes a ratburger! Look, creature, what about we trade this sword guy, who's still somewhat useful to us... for some real food from our backpacks?

Koury
2010-01-31, 11:25 PM
"This man is lots of foods. I wants lots of foods!"

Seth1221
2010-02-01, 02:26 AM
Very well creature, so you enjoy humanoid flesh? Not exactly my kind of meal but I can understand this. Release William creature and I will bring you 5 times more flesh. We will need William's creature strength to bring them here though.

As Xavarro pertracts with the weird mirror he tries to learn more about it.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

STATS:

HP 14/14
Base Attack Bonus +0
No Armor
No Shield
Power Points 3/5
Condition/Effects None
Location tunnels

Koury
2010-02-01, 03:58 AM
"Bring Squammulsh food first, then Squammulsh let food-friend go. And wine! Squammulsh want wine!"

Seth1221
2010-02-01, 04:25 AM
Stupid mindless creature! I am not a delivery boy! This is outrageous!

Xavarro tells Fonrick to start bringing the goblin corpses here as the rest will stall the creature.

We will provide you flesh but wine is nearly immpossible to acquire here. Release the creature and maybe we will find something.

Adunatar
2010-02-01, 08:22 AM
How didn't I think of the corpses?

Squammulsh, you'll get a nice bottle of wine after our trip to surface - but we can't go up without finishing some work here first, and we need this humanoid for that. Moreover, if you agree not to attack us whenever we pass, you'll get a new bottle every time we pass towards the bridge!

Eguzki
2010-02-01, 09:03 AM
Fonrick is excited at the fact that he was chosen for this task.

Ohh. Yes Xavarro I'll go right now! I'll be really quick.

With those words he whistles at his rat to come and runs off as fast as he can, lighting a torches as leaves.

OoC
When Fonrick gets to corpses he will attempt to build a sled of some sort to drag more then one body back. Should I do a survival check for a makeshift sled?
Survival 1d20+6

If thats not possible then he will simply drag the bodies one by one.

Stats
M CN Forest Gnome Druid (Root Walker)
Level 1, Init +2, HP 10/10, Speed 20ft
Sling (20) +3 (1d3, x2)
Condition None
spot +6 Search +4 Listen +6

Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/4 d8 (1 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 15 ft. (3 squares), climb 15 ft., swim 15 ft.
Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–12
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d3–4)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d3–4)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills: Balance +10, Climb +12, Hide +14, Move Silently +10,
Swim +10
Feats: Weapon Finesse

These omnivorous rodents thrive almost anywhere.

Combat
Rats usually run away. They bite only as a last resort.

Skills: Rats have a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently
checks, and a +8 racial bonus on Balance, Climb, and Swim checks.
A rat can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if
rushed or threatened.
A rat uses its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier
for Climb and Swim checks.
A rat has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform
some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to
take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can
use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a
straight line.

Eurus
2010-02-01, 06:02 PM
William just seems to be whimpering slightly as he dangles, having stopped struggling.

Koury
2010-02-01, 07:10 PM
"Yes!" the creature exclaims at Shems offer. "You bring wine to Squammulsh next you pass and Squammulsh be happy!"

As Fonrick returns with a few goblin corpses, the creature known as Squammulsh releases William. It then sprouts legs, grabs the corpses and retreats to the end of the hall, near the rope bridge, and disappears into a hall headed north that you hadn't noticed before.

Eurus
2010-02-01, 07:33 PM
"Oh, thank god, I'm alive..." William gushes as he picks himself up off the floor, checking that all of his limbs are still present. "Let's not let that happen again, okay?"

Adunatar
2010-02-01, 09:34 PM
I have a feeling we'll be passing through this place way more than once. Suffice is to say, the wine is on William every time we pass!

Until we grow strong enough to wipe the dungeon walls with this monstrosity, that is. Sh*t, I hope he's not capable to read minds!

Entertaining himself with such thoughts, Shem assumed his usual stance ahead of the party, keeping to the shadows, and still shivering from the thought that creature's dinner of choice could have been himself.

Koury
2010-02-02, 12:47 AM
The corridor ends precipitously at a large chasm in the earth. The chasm extends up and down into darkness. A rickety rope bridge has been strung across the chasm to where the corridor resumes on the far side. The bridge consists of three thick spanning ropes, with one rope for standing on and two ropes for use as handholds. Additional ropes link the spanning ropes in a rough V shape every 5 feet. The chasm stretches hundreds of feet to the left and right of the bridge. The roof of the chasm is 40 feet above the rope bridge. The floor of the chasm is 20 feet below.

Seth1221
2010-02-02, 02:01 AM
Very well, then. Let's cross this primitive bridge - the sooner the better. Or is there something we should be aware of? Shem creature do you see anything out of order around the bridge?

Xavarro wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of monstrosity lurking down below. This last encounter alerted him to expect anything.

STATS:

HP 14/14
Base Attack Bonus +0
No Armor
No Shield
Power Points 3/5
Condition/Effects None
Location tunnels

Koury
2010-02-02, 02:06 AM
OOCAbout the rope bridge: Crossing the rope bridge requires a character to use both hands and make a successful DC 5 Balance check to move at half speed for 1 round. Using only one hand increases the DC to 10. Using no hands increases the DC to 15.

A failure by 4 or less means you can’t move for 1 round.

A failure by 5 or more means you lose your balance and fall from the rope bridge into the chasm.

You can take 10.

Eurus
2010-02-02, 02:25 AM
Funnily enough, heights seem to be one of the things that William isn't afraid of, if his now more relaxed demeanor is any indication. "What order should we go in, chief?"

Seth1221
2010-02-02, 02:31 AM
The usual Xavarro replies I see no reason to change it - it proved to be successful so far. And Shem creature is thefastest one of us - hence he has the biggest chance to avoid anything that could appear.

Koury
2010-02-02, 02:36 AM
The party begins across the bridge in usual formation. Shem, William, Xavarro and Fonrick.

ShemOOC: You are getting amazing rolls on your spot. You've hit a DC 23 (the weird details about the creature) and this one was a 20. Just saying :smallbiggrin:

IC:
As you get about halfway across the bridge you notice that a portion of the rope bridge underfoot is frayed and broken. This damage isn’t enough to make the rope bridge unstable, however.

Seth1221
2010-02-02, 02:50 AM
OOC:

you want us to roll? I presumed that we just take 10?:smallbiggrin:

Koury
2010-02-02, 03:05 AM
OOC You guys are good. You have to have one hand free to take 10 and succeed, but I think you are all still good.

Adunatar
2010-02-02, 08:11 AM
Careful, rope is frayed here. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to cross the bridge all at once. Anyway, keep hold to the ropes, I'll check this out...

How does the fraying look like? Cut, worn out, or something else?

EDIT: Also, since I have darkvision, what do I see down the chasm? It's only 20' deep, I should clearly see anything that's down there

Eguzki
2010-02-02, 11:42 AM
Fonrick is rather unsettled by this news. With his rat on his shoulder he begins to back up slowly.

Should I turn back and cross one at a time?

Seth1221
2010-02-02, 01:36 PM
Yes, We shall do just that. I don't want to risk the bridge being destroyed.

Adunatar
2010-02-02, 02:22 PM
It still looks secure enough to support us, but I understand your caution. Let me secure myself with a rope, then - and hold the end of it, so that you could pull me out of whatever trouble I might get into.

Shem will tie his rope around his waist

Seth1221
2010-02-02, 02:59 PM
Very well, go whenever you're ready

Koury
2010-02-02, 03:39 PM
ShemYou see a body hanging beneath the rope bridge, caught in the tangles of the frayed lines.

As Shem bends down, investigating, two squidlike creatures with stone-hard shells and membrane-laced tentacles drop toward him from the chasm ceiling above, their tentacles unfolding to engulf. One of the creatures (1) is radiating shadowy illumination.

Fonrick is up. Keep in mind the rope bridge use rules.

Map
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/RopeBridge.jpg

Combat Log[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Koury
2010-02-02, 04:22 PM
The other creature flies over Shems head, attempting to slam into him. Shem manages to duck under the attack.

You guys are up.

Combat Log[roll0]
[roll1]

Eurus
2010-02-02, 05:18 PM
William vanishes and reappears an instant later out on the bridge, his sword and shield still in hand.

OOC:
Reassigning one essentia from Incarnate Avatar to Blink Shirt as a swift action, then teleporting 20 feet out onto the bridge as a standard.

Seth1221
2010-02-02, 05:52 PM
Xavarro releases bolt from his crossbow aiming at the creature that tried to engulf William.

[roll1]
[roll=knowledge?]1d20+8
I have ranks in arcana, psionic, religion, dungeoneering, local and planes if any is relevant.

Koury
2010-02-02, 05:58 PM
OOCIt tried to get Shem, not William. :smallsmile:

XavarroK: Arcana is the relevant one, as this is a magical beast. You messed the roll up, but you only needed a 3 to recognize it as a Darkmantle. I'll assume you got a 10 (even though you can't really take 10 on Knowledge) and say you also recall that Darkmantles favorite tactic is to latch onto a creature it grapples and constrict it to death.

Adunatar
2010-02-02, 06:54 PM
Crossbow clanked to the chasm floor below, as Shem released the now useless bolt launcher, and reached for his trusty dagger. Dinner is served, foul creature, he exclaimed, slashing wildly at the monster, and the heartburn is included!

Attack the darkmantle above me [roll0] concealment (need 20+) [roll1] Damage (yes, I'm optimistic) [roll2]

Eguzki
2010-02-02, 07:56 PM
Fonrick whispers a few words in gnome while holding 3 sling bullets. After a few moments the bullets begin to glow slightly. Taking one of the glowing stones he loads it in his sling.

Cast Magic stone on three sling bullets.

Koury
2010-02-02, 08:29 PM
The creatures fly up to the ceiling and reset themselves, preparing for another pass.

You guys are up. Note that only Shem can see (2) and (1) is 20% concealed.

Map
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/RopeBridge-1.jpg

Eurus
2010-02-02, 10:12 PM
"Shem, stand by me! If one of them tries to grab you, I'll get it!"

OOC:
Readying an action to attack the first monster thing that comes adjacent to me.

Seth1221
2010-02-03, 01:48 AM
Those are Darkmantles! Those will try and constrict you to death! Don't let them grab you!

With these words Xavarro touches his forhead with two fingers. In the next second a quiet hum can be heard. The sound is getting lauder and finally the psion releases his deadly power, aiming at the barely visible creature.

Will save DC14 or [roll0] damage

Koury
2010-02-03, 06:39 AM
OOCSorry about the slow down in replies on my part. Been looking for a job.

XavarroYou can feel the Darkmantle mentally shield itself from your assault

Combat Log[roll0]

Adunatar
2010-02-03, 08:25 AM
Shem didn't need to be asked twice, and carefully - so as not to plunge down the bridge - retreated behind William, desperately trying to think which of his abilities could be useful against the darkmantles. None came to mind so far...

Eguzki
2010-02-03, 09:49 AM
Spinning his sling wildly Fonrick launches his magic stone at the closest creature.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Seth1221
2010-02-03, 01:07 PM
Schem creature try to put those darkmantles to sleep! If you manage that they will fall to their deaths!

STATS:

HP 14/14
Base Attack Bonus +0
No Armor
No Shield
Power Points 2/5
Condition/Effects None
Location tunnels

Adunatar
2010-02-03, 01:53 PM
I don't even know whether they're capable of sleeping at all! - Shem still hesitated.

Seth1221
2010-02-03, 02:05 PM
Those are creatures of magic but won't resist it's power!

OOC:

unless of course it pass their will save:smalltongue:

Adunatar
2010-02-03, 02:25 PM
I'm wasting a perfectly good spell here, or so I suspect... - Shem still had some reservations about it, but complied nevertheless.

Sleep, to cover both darkmantles, if it's possible. I believe I still haven't used up my standard for this round.

Koury
2010-02-03, 02:28 PM
OOCYou can't hit both at the moment. Do you still want to cast?

Koury
2010-02-03, 02:33 PM
Combat Log Under 20 is miss

Adunatar
2010-02-03, 06:37 PM
No, that would be a total waste

I can't cover both of them with my spell right now! Have to wait till they get closer to each other! - reported Shem, after judging the distance between the darkmantles

Koury
2010-02-03, 06:39 PM
OOCYours is the last action before they move. Perhaps a ready action?

Adunatar
2010-02-03, 08:42 PM
I can't ready, it's a full-round action, and I moved already. So just go ahead with the monsters.

EDIT: I'll, however, assume a "fighting defensively" stance, for +2 to AC

Koury
2010-02-03, 11:23 PM
Shem prepares to defend himself against the monsters, taking a defensive stance behind William.

As he does so the creatures charge, both headed directly for the Incarnate. William, ready for the charge, strikes as they close.

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/RopeBridge-2.jpgMade Fonrick and Xavarro take five foot steps to keep their actions valid. Also, both creatures are at +5 feet.

OOCThey closed at the same time. Pick your favorite.

Eurus
2010-02-04, 12:50 AM
OOC:
William will go for #2.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Eurus
2010-02-04, 12:51 AM
Ooh, threatens a crit.

[roll0]
[roll1]

EDIT: :smalleek:

Koury
2010-02-04, 01:23 AM
As the creature dives forward, William uses its own momentum against it, cleaving it in twain. Half of the creature falls to either side of the bridge and then down to the cavern floor.

William ducks the other creature, barely.

Combat Log[roll0]
[roll1]

Your party is up.

EDIT:
OOCWilliam needs to roll vs miss chance.

Eurus
2010-02-04, 02:11 AM
Miss chance, low is a miss:
[roll0]

Koury
2010-02-04, 02:18 AM
OOCGood, I'm glad the hit succeeded. Slicing in half is always cool. Now get to killing the remaining injured one!

Seth1221
2010-02-04, 02:27 AM
Xavarro launches the crossbow bolt hoping to finish this abomination of.

It is fully visible now, right?
[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2010-02-04, 02:34 AM
OOCThis is the one that had Darkness cast on it already. So roll for miss. On the plus side, you have an 80% chance to end this encounter right now.

Seth1221
2010-02-04, 05:31 AM
OOC:

no pressure:smallbiggrin:
[roll0] above 20 is a hit

Koury
2010-02-04, 06:20 AM
Xavarros bolt strikes true, felling the second creature. It falls to the cavern floor along side the other.

We are out of combat.

Gain 500 XP each.

OOCThat XP total includes XP I forgot to award. 200 for negotiating the truce, 50 for negotiating for the map and 100 for {scrubbed}. And 150 for these guys, of course.

Seth1221
2010-02-04, 07:10 AM
Ah, another flawless victory! Indeed you would have been in big trouble if it were not for me! Xavarro smiles widely, concratulating himself.

What is our status? Do any of you creatures need to regain energy? I would like to march a bit longer but am willing to hear out reasonable counterarguments.

Xavarro then takes a step back so he is on steady ground and reloads his crossbow.

STATS:

HP 14/14
Base Attack Bonus +0
No Armor
No Shield
Power Points 2/5
Condition/Effects None
Location tunnels

Adunatar
2010-02-04, 08:47 AM
No, I'm fine. However, there's a body of someone who wasn't that fortunate, tangled in the ropes down there - Shem pointed to where he have seen the body. I'd advise we pull it out and examine, and maybe even descend down the chasm - it's not deep - to see if any items have fallen down to the ground.

Seth1221
2010-02-04, 08:55 AM
Ah, this could prove to be interesting. Very well, first we shall examine the body. Shem creature your eyes are adjusted to darkness therefore I propose that you should descend. After we retrive the body, that is. We shan't lose more time.

With these words, Xavarro orders the party to pull up the body. He himself is observing - physical exercise being beyond his dignity.

Adunatar
2010-02-04, 11:16 AM
I'm not going down there alone, what if something lurks there?

Eurus
2010-02-04, 11:42 AM
"I'll come with you," William offers bravely. "I'm, uh, not great at climbing, but I should be alright... Anyone have a rope?"

Adunatar
2010-02-04, 12:59 PM
I do, - replied Shem, - but let's pull the bugger up first, shall we?

Pull the body up, then climb down the chasm after William. Search chasm floor under where the body was.

Eguzki
2010-02-04, 01:02 PM
Here I have a rope. We can tie it off to this rock and then you can lower down. I'd like to go down as well and study this chasm. I'm sure there are some interesting mushrooms growing down there. I sure love mushrooms.

Fonrick pulls a long rope from his bag and ties it off around rock. His fluidity and ease would suggest that he is well practiced in these types of tasks. Giving a good wank on the rope and looking down the chasm

Who wants to be first?

Stats
M CN Forest Gnome Druid (Root Walker)
Level 1, Init +2, HP 10/10, Speed 20ft
Sling (20) +3 (1d3, x2)
Condition None
spot +6 Search +4 Listen +6

RAT
Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/4 d8 (1 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 15 ft. (3 squares), climb 15 ft., swim 15 ft.
Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–12
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d3–4)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d3–4)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills: Balance +10, Climb +12, Hide +14, Move Silently +10,
Swim +10
Feats: Weapon Finesse

These omnivorous rodents thrive almost anywhere.

Combat
Rats usually run away. They bite only as a last resort.

Skills: Rats have a +4 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently
checks, and a +8 racial bonus on Balance, Climb, and Swim checks.
A rat can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if
rushed or threatened.
A rat uses its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier
for Climb and Swim checks.
A rat has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform
some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to
take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can
use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a
straight line.

Seth1221
2010-02-04, 01:09 PM
Well then, first we pull up the body than the three of you descend to the chasm. I will stay here and look after the rope. Shem creature you are in charge while down there.

STATS:

HP 14/14
Base Attack Bonus +0
No Armor
No Shield
Power Points 2/5
Condition/Effects None
Location tunnels

Adunatar
2010-02-04, 01:32 PM
Aye, sir, - and gnome carefully started his descent.

HP 9/9
Base Attack Bonus +0
Studded Leather Armor
No Shield

Eurus
2010-02-04, 02:49 PM
Stats:
HP 6/8
Base Attack Bonus +0
Studded Leather Armor
Heavy Wooden Shield

William descends second, very carefully. He simply drops his sword on the ground, where it immediately vanishes, and secures his shield to his back. As soon as he reaches the bottom, the sword reforms in his hand.

Koury
2010-02-04, 03:40 PM
The body you pull up is that if a half eaten human female. It would seem that she was killed by the tentacled creatures you have dispatched of. Shem and William and Fonrick climb down and investigate the chasm. Not far from the bridge, just behind some rocks, you find two more corpses.

Usable gear:Half-Plate Armor
Heavy Steel Shield
Finely Crafted Longsword
Well Made Shortbow
14 arrows
7 rations
Waterskin (half full)
Wineskin (full)
400 gp

Also, Shems crossbow, which he dropped earlier.

The three of you manage to climb back up to Xavarro. The rest of the chasm seems to be very similar to what you were given on the map.

Adunatar
2010-02-04, 03:55 PM
Guess not all were as lucky as us. I'll quickly check the items - some of them might be magical.

Detect Magic

Koury
2010-02-04, 04:09 PM
ShemThere is a faint magical aura emanating from the sword.

Eguzki
2010-02-04, 04:26 PM
How should we split this? Pull straws? The gnome asks while eyeing the bow.

Seth1221
2010-02-04, 06:05 PM
Take whatever equipment you need and find useful. The gold should be split evenly between the four of us - that makes a 100 gold pieces each.

Eurus
2010-02-04, 07:18 PM
"I don't really need any of it. That armor looks a bit heavy for me, sadly."

Adunatar
2010-02-04, 07:59 PM
At least you could fetch a good price for it later on. This is what I'm going to do with the sword, unless anyone needs it. It's a fine workmanship. Yes, and you might need one of these items for our mutual friend just around the corner - Shem winked to William.

Eurus
2010-02-04, 08:09 PM
William winces. "I was trying to forget about that... but yes, good point. I'll be taking that wine..."

Adunatar
2010-02-05, 08:17 AM
I'd advise to split rations, too, - suggested Shem, - and leave whatever we can't carry here. Cover it with the body of a darkmantle, and we can pick these items up when going back - which, I feel, is going to be pretty soon, as I'm running out of spells.

My share is the sword, 1 ration, and 100 gp

Seth1221
2010-02-05, 09:25 AM
Xavarro rumbles through the found equipment. Finding nothing useful he collects his share of gold.

We should move.

After the equimpent is shared among the party members and hidden under the darkmantle corpse, the party crosses the bridge. One person at a time.

Eguzki
2010-02-05, 11:42 AM
Fonrick quickly grads the bow and the arrows. Attahing the arrows to his pack and putting the bow across his chest. H also pockets his share of the gold climbs up and crosses the bridge.

Adunatar
2010-02-05, 12:34 PM
Shem leads the way, trying to cling to the dungeon walls, so as not to become the potential target for whatever monsters might be lurking ahead.

Take 10 MS, Hide, and Search

Stats:
HP 9/9
Base Attack Bonus +0
Studded Leather Armor
No Shield

Eurus
2010-02-05, 01:31 PM
William follows a few yards behind Shem, sword at the ready again.

Koury
2010-02-05, 03:32 PM
The party crosses the rope bridge. The corridor before you slopes down into opaque inky black water. The entire area is also cloaked in shadowy darkness.

ShemWhen you enter the magical darkness, you feel an evil energy radiating from the corridors themselves. This energy, however, bolsters you.

William/Fonrick/Xavarro: When you enter the magical darkness, you feel an evil energy radiating from the corridors themselves.

The party is standing at the edge of the water.

Adunatar
2010-02-05, 03:59 PM
Shem started to carefully move over water, poking the way before him widely with a longspear.

Eurus
2010-02-05, 04:13 PM
William's breath quickens and his eyes widen as the light from his pendant fails to penetrate the darkness ahead. He stops short for a moment... but pulls himself together and presses into the shade, tense and nervous. He stops short of actually entering the water, though, letting Shem scout first.

OOC:
William needs a will save to advance into the spoooky darkness. :smallamused:

[roll0]

EDIT: A stunning success. :smallbiggrin:

Koury
2010-02-05, 04:26 PM
ShemThe water doesn't seem too terribly deep, but you do note that your spear seems to be coated in some amount of oil now.

Adunatar
2010-02-05, 06:14 PM
There's oil on top of the water - don't light any fires, please.

Koury
2010-02-05, 06:21 PM
OOCShall I assume you guys wade in and press on?

Eurus
2010-02-05, 06:23 PM
"Maybe we want to just light it up right now, and wait for it to burn out? I don't want to risk getting caught in a fire..."

Adunatar
2010-02-05, 07:08 PM
Actually, that's a brilliant idea! You never know how this oil got in this water in the first place, it might be there for someone's nefarious purposes... Light it up, William! - with these words gnome stepped out of the water, trying to clean his clothes as best as he could.

Eurus
2010-02-06, 12:26 AM
"I didn't bring flint and tinder. I have this," he holds up his glowing necklace. "Anyone else?"

Koury
2010-02-06, 12:54 AM
The party steps back as Shem sets the oil alight. The flames spread quickly, but no light is cast due the the magic covering the area. As the party looks on, the black, flaming water ahead of you churns as something begins to rise from the murky surface. Skeletal arms break the surface, one bony hand grasping the pommel of a rusty longsword. The other hand clutches the pommel as well, and the arms and weapon rise to human height—though there is no skeletal body to support them. The floating arms swing the longsword menacingly, and then it glides toward you.

Map
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/WaterPassage.jpgThe ground under the party is normal. The blue squares are the water.
The party acts first. The water is still on fire.

Combat Log[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Seth1221
2010-02-06, 02:19 AM
What is this foul creature?

Xavarro asks mostly himself trying to remember anything he might have read about such creature. He shoots a bolt if only to see if it strikes the creature.

[roll0]
[roll1]
He's concealed, right?
[roll2] - low is a miss

And let's start with religion and arcana:
[roll3]
[roll4]

Koury
2010-02-06, 02:30 AM
The arrow flies true, but appears to do almost no damage to the floating arms.

XavarroK: Religion is correct. You recognize the creature as a Dread. You can't recall much more beyond that, however.

Adunatar
2010-02-06, 08:55 AM
Shem launched a bolt at the creature almost at the same time as Xavarro did.

Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]

Koury
2010-02-06, 03:12 PM
Shems bolt also struck the skeletal arms, but appeared to do no damage!

Eurus
2010-02-06, 03:17 PM
Seeing that the arrows and bolts have little effect, William tries breaking out his sling. Perhaps where a pointy object had failed, a rock would succeed.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Sighing, he glances at Shem. "Want to borrow my sling? You might have better luck with it."

Koury
2010-02-06, 10:32 PM
Fonrick loads his sling with another of his magic bullets and fires at the arms. His bullet misses, however.

Rolls[roll0]
[roll1]

The disembodied limbs float forward and engage William. William takes a massive blow! 9 damage.

Combat Log[roll=R1 Fire Damage]1d6[roll]
[roll=R2 Fire Damage]1d6[roll]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Koury
2010-02-06, 10:39 PM
Combat Log[roll0]
[roll1]

Eurus
2010-02-06, 10:39 PM
William drops his sling and bullets for someone else to use against the arms, if they choose, and pulls out his sword, striking with the flat instead of the edge. "Begone, minion of chaos!"

[roll0]
[roll1]

OOC:
If possible, William will swing his sword as a bludgeoning weapon -- I have a -4 penalty for an improvised weapon included in the attack roll already.

EDIT: Aw. :smallsigh:

Koury
2010-02-06, 10:44 PM
OOCI do believe you are at -3 HP, correct? Do you have a way of continuing to fight?

Koury
2010-02-06, 11:10 PM
Fonrick burns a level 0 spell to spontaneously cast Cure Minor Wounds, stabilizing William.

Eurus
2010-02-06, 11:26 PM
OOC:
Oh, whoops, my bad. Thought I had one of the soulmelds shaped that lets you fight at negative hit points, for some reason. Yep, William's out like a light.

Seth1221
2010-02-07, 02:49 AM
We have to retreat! Our weapons are ineffective and William creature is down! Schem and Fonrick creatures drag the incarnate back and I will cover your retreat form the Dread!

Xavarro shouts the orders and then picks up the sling. This may prove useful later on. For now he has to prepare for the creature. He focuses his mind in in the next second a greenish glow appear around Xavarro, sticking almost as a second skin. Xavarro is confident - the armor will protect him even from an incorporeal creature.

I pick up the sling and cast Incorporeal Armor (+4 AC - works with incorporeal)

STATS:

HP 14/14
AC 17 (+4 Armor; +3 Dex), Touch 13, Flat-footed 14
Base Attack Bonus +0
No Armor
No Shield
Power Points 1/5
Condition/Effects None
Location tunnels

Koury
2010-02-07, 04:25 AM
OOCDon't forget about the DC 15 balance check for no hands. For the record, the fire from the oil is hurting the Dread.

Fonrick steps forward over Williams body, attempting to block the creature from leaving the flames.