PDA

View Full Version : Using an enemy as a shield

Rasman
2010-01-22, 04:30 PM
I had a thought, which is rare, but say that if you grappled a foe, pinned him and then bound his hands in some way, could you the use him as a shield for concealment against things like arrows or someone charging you? or even as a deturant to anyone wanting to attack you even? are there even any rules about this?

arguskos
2010-01-22, 04:31 PM
I'd call it an improvised tower shield, assuming he was properly bound and whatnot.

faceroll
2010-01-22, 04:32 PM
I'd rule it as soft cover:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#cover

Sipex
2010-01-22, 04:37 PM
On that note. If fired upon, and the attack misses you, how do you determine if it hits your 'shield' or if it just missed both of you completely?

RagnaroksChosen
2010-01-22, 04:43 PM
I'd rule it as soft cover:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#cover

im pritty sure you can use monsters as soft cover even when not bound

faceroll
2010-01-22, 04:44 PM
im pritty sure you can use monsters as soft cover even when not bound

Yeah, you can, against ranged attacks.

Rasman
2010-01-22, 04:48 PM
On that note. If fired upon, and the attack misses you, how do you determine if it hits your 'shield' or if it just missed both of you completely?

you would think that you'd roll % based on an amount of concealment that the bodyshield gives you, if they roll the % then the attack would hit them instead and then they roll on their AC minus any Dex mods and maybe +your dex mod, for being able to "move them into the arrow"

Person_Man
2010-01-22, 05:09 PM
Sounds like a good idea for a homebrew feat:

Living Shield

Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Deflect Arrows.

Benefit: When you successfully Grapple an enemy you gain the option to use them as a living shield. As long as you maintain the Grapple, whenever a ranged attack successfully hits you, it instead hits your living shield. If the target dies for any reason or the Grapple is broken, then your ability to use them as a living shield ends until you reestablish the Grapple.

This feat does not function against ranged attacks made by enemies with the Improved Precise Shot feat.

Special

A fighter may select Living Shield as one of his fighter bonus feats.

A monk may select Living Shield as his 6th level bonus feat in place of Improved Disarm or Improved Trip if he otherwise meets the pre-requisites for this feat.

Rasman
2010-01-22, 05:35 PM
Sounds like a good idea for a homebrew feat:

Living Shield

Prerequisites: Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Deflect Arrows.

Benefit: When you successfully Grapple an enemy you gain the option to use them as a living shield. As long as you maintain the Grapple, whenever a ranged attack successfully hits you, it instead hits your living shield. If the target dies for any reason or the Grapple is broken, then your ability to use them as a living shield ends until you reestablish the Grapple.

This feat does not function against ranged attacks made by enemies with the Improved Precise Shot feat.

Special

A fighter may select Living Shield as one of his fighter bonus feats.

A monk may select Living Shield as his 6th level bonus feat in place of Improved Disarm or Improved Trip if he otherwise meets the pre-requisites for this feat.

I think I love you

I'd add that "A Living Shield may be the subject of a coup de grace if they are physically bound in such a way that it makes it impossible to defend themselves from it, i.e. Manacles, rope and other such constraints."