PDA

View Full Version : werewolves?

Origomar
2010-01-22, 04:36 PM
what are werewolves in dnd and how can you become one?

Fendalus
2010-01-22, 04:42 PM
Well, in 3.5 they are technically medium humanoids with the Shapechanger subtype. You can be a werewolf either by being bitten by one and failing a DC15 fort save or by being born to one (Afflicted Lycanthrope and natural lycanthrope, respectively). Naturals are more powerful than afflicted lycanthropes, and afflicted ones can't spread lycanthropy.

For more info, see the SRD's entry on Lycanthropes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm)

*Edit*

For 4th edition, I'm afraid I have no clue how it works. I'm sure someone around here does, though.

Blackfang108
2010-01-22, 04:44 PM
For 4th edition, I'm afraid I have no clue how it works. I'm sure someone around here does, though.

In 4e: they're monsters and NPCs. Only. Period. No you can't become one. No, not even then.

You can be a Longtooth Shifter, which is similar to a diluted Werewolf, but you can't be a real werewolf.

Nero24200
2010-01-22, 05:38 PM
If you're eager to play as a were-creature, I'd just use a shifter. It might have changed in 4th Edition (since I havn't seen their rules in that version) but in 3.5 they're pretty much just the Diet-Coke* of lycanthropes, having less raw power but without the LA.

Then again, they come from the Races of Ebberon book, most of the creatures within are just Diet-Coke Monsters (Changlings are just Dopplegangers made into a player race with no LA and Warforged are just golems made into player race with no LA).

*Note, I'm not meaning this in a negative way. In fact, I prefer Diet Coke to normal Coke strangly :smalltongue:

Origomar
2010-01-22, 05:42 PM
cool thanks for the info, didnt realize it was in the srd

Bibliomancer
2010-01-22, 05:43 PM
The rules are a bit ambigious about how lycanthropy works for players, since the minimum lycanthrope ECL adjustment(an afflicted) would have +2 LA. Presumably, you spend your next 2 levels paying for it, which suggests that you could become a lycanthrope the day before a large battle in order to get a power boost, and then be cured afterwards.

Hmm. I might try this in Red Hand of Doom, if I can find one.

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-22, 05:47 PM
Don't forget you also have to add the animal's Hit Dice to your ECL as well.

Bibliomancer
2010-01-22, 05:49 PM
Don't forget you also have to add the animal's Hit Dice as well.

Not for afflicted lycanthropes. (Because you also don't gain their extra HP, or only gain them in animal form).

Again, the wording's ambiguous.

mostlyharmful
2010-01-22, 05:53 PM
Not for afflicted lycanthropes. (Because you also don't gain their extra HP, or only gain them in animal form).

Again, the wording's ambiguous.

No. You get the animal Hit Dice, they always count. Which ever form you're in they're still there (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm)

Bibliomancer
2010-01-22, 05:58 PM
No. You get the animal Hit Dice, they always count. Which ever form you're in they're still there (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm)

My mistake. Thanks for the clarification.

That means that you can gain an effective +4 to ECL from becoming a werewolf. And the effect is fully reversible.

Still an interesting temporary enhancement, if you can find a werewolf.

mostlyharmful
2010-01-22, 06:01 PM
My mistake. Thanks for the clarification.

That means that you can gain an effective +4 to ECL from becoming a werewolf. And the effect is fully reversible.

Still an interesting temporary enhancement, if you can find a werewolf.

There's also the issue that once you start seeking out lycanthropes to turn you and start using it you're pretty much sure to wind up CE and chances are you won't want to get rid of it after you get it.

Dimers
2010-01-22, 06:06 PM
Well, in 3.5 they are technically medium humanoids with the Shapechanger subtype.

Or giants! Yay, troll werewolf! Stone giant werewolf hulking hurler! :smallbiggrin: But monstrous humanoids are out, for some reason.