PDA

View Full Version : how can you cast light? (as in, phyiscally)

taltamir
2010-01-22, 08:11 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/Light.htm

Components: V, M/DF

How can you cast it? it has a material component with no somatic component... so you don't use your hands at all, but still use a component? what?

EDIT: to be more specific, how does it interact with the following:
1. Grapple
2. Armor wearing
3. being bound

Signmaker
2010-01-22, 08:12 PM

How can you cast it? it has a material component with no somatic component... so you don't use your hands at all, but still use a component? what?

S = Squiggly fingers.

Temotei
2010-01-22, 08:13 PM

Somatic components are things like wiggling your fingers, positioning your hands in certain patterns, etc.

Raising your hand to throw a focus is something anyone can do, and it's not restricted by armor.

Bending your fingers in a precise way to create specific signals, then moving your hands in patterns...that's restricted by armor, and it's something not everyone can do.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-22, 08:13 PM
You created a thread to ask why Light requires a material component and no somatic component?

taltamir
2010-01-22, 08:14 PM
You created a thread to ask why Light requires a material component and no somatic component?

it is a question that must be asked :P

seriously though.. I was curious how it interacted with things like:
1. Grapple
2. Armor wearing
3. being bound

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-22, 08:15 PM
There is no question. [/Jedi mind trick]

Signmaker
2010-01-22, 08:16 PM

seriously though.. I was curious how it interacted with things like:
1. Grapple
2. Armor wearing
3. being bound

Any of those that aren't dependent on Somatic casting/Don't have their own specific casting restrictions = Fine

DementedFellow
2010-01-22, 08:16 PM
I wish you could cast light on the enemy's eyeball.

taltamir
2010-01-22, 08:17 PM
Any of those that aren't dependent on Somatic casting/Don't have their own specific casting restrictions = Fine

i don't comprehend your answer

Signmaker
2010-01-22, 08:18 PM
i don't comprehend your answer

Light suffers no ASF. It can be cast in a grapple, provided you make the concentration check. As long as you can reach the material component and aren't gagged, it can be cast while bound.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-22, 08:20 PM
If you are not pinned, and you are holding the material component, and you make a DC 20 Concentration check, you can cast Light in a grapple. Retrieving the component is a full-round action.

Armor does not interfere with Light.

If you can reach your component pouch while tied, somehow, and can speak firmly, then you can cast Light when bound.

Temotei
2010-01-22, 08:20 PM
I wish you could cast light on the enemy's eyeball.

If it's not attached, you can. :smallwink:

ericgrau
2010-01-22, 08:21 PM
You still must touch the object that you want to glow. Unlike other spellcasting, this is not a complicated gesture known as a somatic component, so you can do it in full plate or in a grapple no problem, as long as you make your concentration check and can touch the object. In a grapple you also need to spend a full round action and grapple check to draw the material component, or take eschew material components.

EDIT: Nevermind about the other eschew material components question, the material component isn't the object touched.

Temotei
2010-01-22, 08:23 PM
You still must touch the object that you want to glow. Unlike other spellcasting, this is not a complicated gesture known as a somatic component, so you can do it in full plate or in a grapple no problem, as long as you make your concentration check and can touch the object.

I think the next silly question is "what if I take eschew material components and cast light" :smallbiggrin:.

Then take Silent Spell.

Signmaker
2010-01-22, 08:23 PM
I think the next silly question is "what if I take eschew material components and cast light" :smallbiggrin:.

You don't need the glowy material components, but still have to touch what you want to Light. Naturally.

dragonfan6490
2010-01-22, 08:55 PM
You take a match and strike it against a rough surface, thus creating light :smalltongue:

taltamir
2010-01-22, 08:57 PM
do you need to TOUCH it with your HAND, or do you need to be within touch DISTANCE (5 feet) and make a touch attack?
because I could see "touch" range as being a fixed 5 foot range... :)
or become as such when using still spell.

Signmaker
2010-01-22, 09:02 PM
do you need to TOUCH it with your HAND, or do you need to be within touch DISTANCE (5 feet) and make a touch attack?
because I could see "touch" range as being a fixed 5 foot range... :)
or become as such when using still spell.

You need to touch it. It's not like it's a combat spell.