PDA

View Full Version : Play Turn Based Games [software]

Waargh!
2010-01-22, 08:35 PM
Have developed (still need some final touches) a program that basically lets you create all necessary components to play a boardgame. Like dices, pawns, cards, decks etc etc and lets you connect with other users to play. You can do whatever you would do in real-life. Move the pawns, roll the dices, pick a card and stuff like that. The goal is to be able to freely play whatever you want, opposed to play a specific game making sure the rules are followed.

So I would like to ask if people would be interested in using such software for playing Turn Based Games Online using these forums. If enough people are interested I can communicate with the operators to set it up. Mostly I want to see the public interest.

Since you can create whatever components you want, this can also be used to play RP turned based games in real-time (rather than play-by-pos). You would just have to provide the images for the characters, the grid and the dices as well as the communication system are ready.

The program is not 100% ready, so I won't upload it yet. The final goal is to be able to create ruled gamed as well, using the code of the program and be able to simply implement it with basic programmer skills. Don't have access in daily basis either for the time being, but I will stay in touch.

Jolly Steve
2010-01-23, 01:00 AM
Don't programs like Fantasy Grounds do this already?

Dust
2010-01-23, 01:08 AM
Fantasy Grounds is superb, don't get me wrong, but with a $149.95 pricetag to play as a group, having other alternatives out there won't make me lose any sleep.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-23, 10:20 AM
I'm a software engineer by day, and a big fan of game design in general. I'd be happy to test out such a program and give you some feedback on it once it's ready(I know, the polishing stage can be a royal pain).

I've got a turn based game system under development myself, albeit with a different goal. Instead of being an RPG tool, it's meant to replicate the turn-based tactical shooters like X-Com from back in the day. Add in multiplayer, and it should be a blast. Actually finding the time to finish it off is a problem though.

Edit: Check out Vassal. It's an interesting free system for turn based games. It's got some noticeable shortcomings when it comes to RPGs, though, so it can definitely be improved upon.

Waargh!
2010-01-23, 12:58 PM
I'm a software engineer by day, and a big fan of game design in general. I'd be happy to test out such a program and give you some feedback on it once it's ready(I know, the polishing stage can be a royal pain).

I've got a turn based game system under development myself, albeit with a different goal. Instead of being an RPG tool, it's meant to replicate the turn-based tactical shooters like X-Com from back in the day. Add in multiplayer, and it should be a blast. Actually finding the time to finish it off is a problem though.

Edit: Check out Vassal. It's an interesting free system for turn based games. It's got some noticeable shortcomings when it comes to RPGs, though, so it can definitely be improved upon.

I added afterwards my connection part for my program. I will be happy to share that part.
What happens is that one player is the Server. The others are Clients. When you make a move, that other players will see, an array of string, called Orders is updated. When you end turn you send Orders to everyone. First to the Server and the Server to the rest of the Clients. The orders are copied to a Command array of strings. Finally, there is an Exec Command that executes the Command strings.
I have used C# for my program. If you have used C# or Visaul C++ you could use my code directly for your program easily, if the above method satisfies your needs.

I have checked Vassal. It is awesome :). But I think it has stopped being supported. And my program is more simplistic, which can be good since it offers an easy start. My aim is to have a forum to support such a program, when it is finished and if people are interested. So we can satisfy requests like "I want to play this game Online".