PDA

View Full Version : Tasty Gross Food and Disappointing Treats

Tequila Sunrise
2010-01-22, 09:04 PM
Have you ever seen something that looked disgusting, but then experienced a near-religious revelation after tasting it?

Have you ever seen something that looks delicious, but then gagged after tasting it?

My mother introduced me to pretzels and sour cream as a kid, which I thought was gross until I tasted it. My best friend had the exact same reaction, and now he refuses to eat pretzels without sour cream.

I've never cared one way or the other for chocolate. I don't dislike it, but I don't get why chocolate is used in and on so many foods that I would enjoy more without it. I'm also ambivalent about cakes -- except for carrot cake, because it's not a cake.

Kurien
2010-01-22, 09:17 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/63/Century_egg_sliced_open.jpeg
As far as I can remember I've always liked them, but I can see that any person who has never seen hundred year old eggs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundred_year_egg) would admit they don't look so appetizing. In actuality they have a distinct flavour and creamy texture, and go well with rice congee.

Innis Cabal
2010-01-22, 09:20 PM
Ah, 皮蛋....how they disgust me...I've never had a taste for them, though my mother each new years would get them. Blegh.

Ninja Chocobo
2010-01-22, 09:22 PM
After the process is completed, the yolk becomes a dark green, cream-like substance with a strong odor of sulphur and ammonia...
which gradually raises the pH of the egg from around 9 to 12 or more.

Holy hell I cannot imagine this tasting good.

wxdruid
2010-01-22, 09:36 PM
catlover and my friend Heather went to the state fair in Indianapolis during GenCon. Turns out catlover loves chocolate covered fried bacon...

They also had fried soda pop and almost anything else you could or don't want to imagine as a fried food.

Innis Cabal
2010-01-22, 09:39 PM
I think they taste utterly disgusting

snoopy13a
2010-01-22, 09:41 PM
Fried Calamari looks fairly disgusting (with the little tentacles) but it tastes great.

reorith
2010-01-22, 09:43 PM
They also had fried soda pop and almost anything else you could or don't want to imagine as a fried food.

what? how is that even possible?

wxdruid
2010-01-22, 09:45 PM
Weird huh, I couldn't believe it when they told me. Heather said they made a ball of dough, imbued it?/soaked it?/inserted it? with soda pop and fried it. Not completely sure since I was more involved with GenCon than the State Fair.

Tirian
2010-01-22, 09:57 PM
I enjoy the occasional caviar and escargot.

On the down side, I once had a boss who offered me a piece of (authentic) Turkish Delight. Aha, I thought, a taste sensation worth betraying Narnia over! Except not. So not.

reorith
2010-01-22, 09:58 PM
i'm going to try that! i'll harness the power of cooks.com and boiling fat. mwahahaha!

Ninja Chocobo
2010-01-22, 10:14 PM
On the down side, I once had a boss who offered me a piece of (authentic) Turkish Delight. Aha, I thought, a taste sensation worth betraying Narnia over! Except not. So not.

Man what are you talking about. Turkish Delight is friggin' divine when it's not befouled with chocolate.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-01-22, 10:15 PM
Turkish delights are good!

Dates look disgusting, but taste soooo gooood...

Innis Cabal
2010-01-22, 10:37 PM

How can you not like sugar and flavoring?

arguskos
2010-01-22, 11:47 PM
Turkish delights are good!

Dates look disgusting, but taste soooo gooood...
Amen. Up with dates! :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2010-01-22, 11:50 PM
Frosting. Just raw frosting with no cake. I'd eat an entire bowl of that stuff. I forget the comedian that said this and I'm not quoting him exactly but "Frosting's edible glue! That's awesome!"

RS14
2010-01-23, 12:11 AM
I've enjoyed escargot.

For some reason, none of my four nieces and nephews will even try figs. I don't get that. They're the greatest fruit ever. More for me, though, and as we know where we can harvest them free, that's quite a few. :smallbiggrin:

Boo
2010-01-23, 12:46 AM
hundred year old eggs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundred_year_egg)

What do rotten eggs smell like? "Sulpher"
What does sulpher smell like? "Rotten Eggs"

I don't think there's another smell like it. Can't say anything about the flavour, but I'd be so very hesitant to try a Century Egg.

Poutine, on the otherhand, is DELICIOUS! And yet I have only schite where I live. No one knows how to make poutine here... IT'S BLOODY EASY AND THEY FAIL!! "French fries with extra cheese and gravy" is NOT poutine! Poutine is "french fries with AWESOME!" Dammit!

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-01-23, 12:55 AM
I'm also ambivalent about cakes -- except for carrot cake, because it's not a cake.

How exactly do you define cake then. It may have grated carrots, nuts, and raisins and the like in it. But they are still mixed into a batter, that when baked , most certainly turns out to be cake as the final product.

ForzaFiori
2010-01-23, 01:08 AM
While I have never tried them, my step-dad swears that Chitlins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chitterlings#United_States) (or Chitterlings) are great. In fact, the town he's from (Sally, SC) has an annual "Chitlin Festival" That is so famous, it was featured in a Jeopardy question (and the town is so small, you can address a letter there with a name, and the town, and it'll go to the right person. They don't even have a street light.)

Tavar
2010-01-23, 01:24 AM
Frosting. Just raw frosting with no cake. I'd eat an entire bowl of that stuff. I forget the comedian that said this and I'm not quoting him exactly but "Frosting's edible glue! That's awesome!"

I've taken a cooking class, and on the first day the teacher told us the secret of good tasting food; butter and sugar. If you look at frosting recipies, that's pretty much all that's in it. You have a teaspoon of sugar, a pinch of salt, and then the rest is fat and sugar.

I'll agree on Fried Calamari. In fact, the first time I had calamari, my mother refused to tell me or my sister what it was, until after we had it.

Meatloaf, if done right is actually pretty good. The secret, apparently, is to use barbecue sauce.

Crystalized Ginger is surprisingly good. It's sweet, but has a nice bite too it.

Spaghetti puttanesca(or as I call it, putridesca) is vile.

Most disappointing cake; my mothers Peanut Butter cake. What's worse, she like it, but her being the only one in the house that can stand the damn thing, it isn't made often.

Anuan
2010-01-23, 01:31 AM
Buttered ham, cheese and Milo sandwhiches toasted on a press, are so delicious with tomato sauce I can't even describe it.

Get one step wrong though and it will be terrible.

blackfox
2010-01-23, 01:42 AM
Salted licorice. Slightly fancy candy in Scandinavia. My roomie's boyfriend is Swedish and so he always has some on him, and he's an actual nice guy, so he gives it to everyone who will actually consent to eat it. Om nom nom.
My mom makes a pretty amazing roasted eggplant recipe. P=

Also, apparently asparagus cooked in garlic butter is really good but I hate asparagus in all its various incarnations.
I dislike most pork, probably from having grown up more or less kosher.

Anuan
2010-01-23, 01:49 AM
I dislike most pork, probably from having grown up more or less kosher.

It could also be from the fact that most pork just tastes like ick.
Not all though.

Love me some bacon, and ham. And roast leg of pork.

That's about it though. Otherwise it's passable at best.

alchemyprime
2010-01-23, 02:24 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Arranged_century_egg_on_a_plate.jpg

Like that, a century egg don't look bad.

And I like caviar. And locks.

Can't stand oranges, however. Being a supertaster sucks. My coffee has to be super weak and heavily sugared, citrus is my enemy...

Oh, and since I got pneumonia in November and couldn't eat anything but broth for seven days, MY SWEET BUDS HAVE RESET TO 1! Meaning instead of years of damage making candy pallatable, I now have the problem of not being able to eat much at once or my tongue bursts into sores....

So right now? Teriyaki noodles are my favorite...

thubby
2010-01-23, 08:21 AM
any peanut sauce. looks disgusting, tastes great.

Kneenibble
2010-01-23, 08:34 AM
Amen. Up with dates! :smallbiggrin:

Dates do look kind of gross, now that I think of it, and yet are just addictively delicious and gooey and sweet. Have you ever had a fresh date?

The Indian sweet known as jalebi with its resemblance to a glowing stove element is off-putting: but its weird crispy-gooey explosion of sweetness and saffron is wonderful.

The fruit known as mangosteen looks exotic, and as if it's going to contain one of those orgiastic tropical fruit flavours that will haunt your hunger forever once you've returned to temperate lands. It's really quite meh, though.

Sapodas, on the other hand...

Lioness
2010-01-23, 08:42 AM
Today BF made me a pot of coffee. It looked lovely

Except that he accidentally used espresso machine coffee instead of instant coffee, and it didn't dissolve, and it tasted like mud. Blergh.

Boo
2010-01-23, 08:49 AM
Today BF made me a pot of coffee. It looked lovely

Except that he accidentally used espresso machine coffee instead of instant coffee, and it didn't dissolve, and it tasted like mud. Blergh.

I switched the containers! Mwahahahahaa!

But seriously, that's disgusting.

Speaking of which, people seem to like chocolate-covered coffee beans? I don't, but I see it commonly in supermarkets.

FirebirdFlying
2010-01-23, 09:12 AM
The fruit known as mangosteen looks exotic, and as if it's going to contain one of those orgiastic tropical fruit flavours that will haunt your hunger forever once you've returned to temperate lands. It's really quite meh, though.

…I love mangosteen. I've only had it twice. But I love it.

And durians are not so wonderfully tasty as people say. Nor do they smell as bad.

So I've got this friend who swears lobster ice cream is absolutely amazing, and I should try it…:smallyuk:

Winthur
2010-01-23, 09:43 AM
I know a lot of people who are repulsed by how a cold borscht (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_borscht) looks like and the fact that it's, well... cold by design.

But damn me if I ever say it is not TASTY.

Kneenibble
2010-01-23, 09:51 AM
…I love mangosteen. I've only had it twice. But I love it.

And durians are not so wonderfully tasty as people say. Nor do they smell as bad.

So I've got this friend who swears lobster ice cream is absolutely amazing, and I should try it…:smallyuk:

You love them?
Hmm... maybe the ones I had weren't good quality or something. It was in India though.

I just found the texture too fibrous and the flavour unremarkable, with too many seeds and too much work unpeeling it for too little reward. Not bad, but meh.

2010-01-23, 11:39 AM
It could also be from the fact that most pork just tastes like ick.

BLASPHEMY!!!!! Pork is the most wonderful of wonderful gift an animal could ever even think of bestowing on us. There is nothing better in this world than a tender, juicy pulled pork sandwich smothered in BBQ sauce with some heat to it. Pork tenderloin is also phenomenal, as are pork chops with a good marinade or glaze. And that's just the top of the iceberg when it comes to pork.

arguskos
2010-01-23, 11:58 AM
Dates do look kind of gross, now that I think of it, and yet are just addictively delicious and gooey and sweet. Have you ever had a fresh date?
Yup, had a whole barrel once. They were absolutely lovely. Dates are great stuff.

Tequila Sunrise
2010-01-23, 02:12 PM
How exactly do you define cake then. It may have grated carrots, nuts, and raisins and the like in it. But they are still mixed into a batter, that when baked , most certainly turns out to be cake as the final product.
As I understand it, carrot cake is really bread because it's heavier than cake and doesn't require icing to be yummy. (Although, by that definition, wonder bread is really a cake.) :smallconfused:

2010-01-23, 02:32 PM
As I understand it, carrot cake is really bread because it's heavier than cake and doesn't require icing to be yummy. (Although, by that definition, wonder bread is really a cake.) :smallconfused:

Yes, cake is bread-like, but there is a huge difference between bread and cake. While some ingredients are the same, there are quite a few differences, even in the type of flour used. The vast majority of the time cake is sweet, bread is not. Breads generally have far more gluten than most cakes. Yeast is usually used more for breads in my experience than in cakes (although many times baking soda/powder is used in both instead of yeast for rising). When it really comes down to it, although they're similar in composition, breads and cakes are very different. I also do a fair amount of cooking myself (and thusly watching the Food Network and what not), and I have never heard carrot cake being referred to as bread. Carrot cake is indeed cake, not bread.

blackfox
2010-01-23, 02:52 PM
Speaking of which, people seem to like chocolate-covered coffee beans? I don't, but I see it commonly in supermarkets.OM NOM NOM. I love them. I ate like 20 of them in an hour when I was 10 or 11. It was hilarious.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-23, 03:18 PM
Most types of fudge. They're too greasy, and just taste kind of off.

Fried dough, on the other hand, is just greasy enough. It looks like a sugar-covered heart attack on a paper plate soaked through with grease, and it is, but it's delicious. As long as you don't eat more than one a year.

Oh, and dates. Dates are ridiculously good.

any peanut sauce. looks disgusting, tastes great.

...seriously? Peanut sauce is the best sauce. This is science fact. Especially with chicken satay.

Speaking of which, people seem to like chocolate-covered coffee beans? I don't, but I see it commonly in supermarkets.

I had them once. Sounded great, were distinctly underwhelming but not awful.

zvbxrpl
2010-01-23, 04:28 PM
I've had candied ginger ice cream and poppyseed ice cream--both were really good.

Also, another vote for escargot. Admittedly, I had it slathered in this garlic-butter-herb concoction that you could put slices of cork in and have a great meal.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-23, 04:34 PM
I know a lot of people who are repulsed by how a cold borscht (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_borscht) looks like and the fact that it's, well... cold by design.

But damn me if I ever say it is not TASTY.
It does look funky, but the ingredients make it sound DELICIOUS! Beets just make things pink is all.

I didn't expect it to taste BAD per say, but hard boiled eggs in a hot potato dish sounded odd at first, but tasted WONDERFUL.

Ninja Chocobo
2010-01-23, 05:03 PM
BLASPHEMY!!!!! Pork is the most wonderful of wonderful gift an animal could ever even think of bestowing on us. There is nothing better in this world than a tender, juicy pulled pork sandwich smothered in BBQ sauce with some heat to it. Pork tenderloin is also phenomenal, as are pork chops with a good marinade or glaze. And that's just the top of the iceberg when it comes to pork.

Swine sure tastes fine. (http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/Pork/)

Yarram
2010-01-23, 05:48 PM
Swine sure tastes fine. (http://www.weebls-stuff.com/songs/Pork/)

With all due respect... You win.

RebelRogue
2010-01-23, 08:20 PM
You, good sir, can give birth to my children any day :smallbiggrin:

Someone mentioned scandinavian liquorice candies, the salty stuff made with ammonium chloride. I remember when I found out that it's pretty much exclusive to our little corner of the world (I'm from Denmark). So weird to me, as it's really good.

Another weird local foodstuff is tinned mackerel in tomato sauce. It's fishy and really ought to be sort of gross, but most people here love it, me included. It's usually eaten on rye bread (the danish variety of schwarzbrot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugbr%C3%B8d) which is another local thing. Though hardly disgusting, I've met foreigners who found it hard to stomach) with mayo. The result is similar to this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2372/2223507450_2d683f99b9.jpg?v=0

snoopy13a
2010-01-23, 09:18 PM
Yes, cake is bread-like, but there is a huge difference between bread and cake. While some ingredients are the same, there are quite a few differences, even in the type of flour used. The vast majority of the time cake is sweet, bread is not. Breads generally have far more gluten than most cakes. Yeast is usually used more for breads in my experience than in cakes (although many times baking soda/powder is used in both instead of yeast for rising). When it really comes down to it, although they're similar in composition, breads and cakes are very different. I also do a fair amount of cooking myself (and thusly watching the Food Network and what not), and I have never heard carrot cake being referred to as bread. Carrot cake is indeed cake, not bread.

I have no baking experience but aren't eggs an usual ingredient in cakes?

RebelRogue
2010-01-23, 09:40 PM
I have no baking experience but aren't eggs an usual ingredient in cakes?
Not really. My basic, go-to recipe for cake would be a pound of flour, sugar and butter respectively with 6 eggs and a bit of baking powder. Usually more tasty stuff is added, but that's a real easy one for quick baking.

GoC
2010-01-23, 10:22 PM
The lentils and rice I make looks nauseating but is actually the most palatable stuff I can cook.
Worm burgers are delicious.
Granadilla also look pretty disgusting but are actually quite good.

Most birthday cakes look lovely but taste horrible. The frosting in particular.

2010-01-24, 01:18 AM
Not really. My basic, go-to recipe for cake would be a pound of flour, sugar and butter respectively with 6 eggs and a bit of baking powder. Usually more tasty stuff is added, but that's a real easy one for quick baking.

To answer the question yes. Many cake recipes, well many recipes that deal with a lot of flour use eggs for the protein and as a binder in the mix. And RR, you said that eggs usually aren't in cakes, yet you said 6 eggs are in the aforementioned caked recipe. Just seems kind of odd with how you phrased things and all. Oh, and that particular cake you mentioned would happened to be a recipe for pound cake.

Back on the topic of pork for a second since I failed to mention it in one of my previous tangents on pork. This oh so awsome little treat would be scrapple. For those of you (basically anyone outside the east cost of the US), scrapple is everything left over after they butcher a pig (and I do mean EVERYTHING). It is then ground (or mushed at they like to say), mixed with cornmeal and then fried, usually on a griddle. It's very Amish, and me being from the midwest didn't discover it until I lived in northern Maryland for a while. And I do have to say, it is greasy, fatty, and with a few sunnyside up eggs and some toast, is heaven on a plate.

THAC0
2010-01-24, 01:56 AM

Indeed.

Bread is, at its most basic, flour, salt, water, and yeast.

That's it.

Of course, you could add other things.

Now, admittedly, carrot cake might be said to have some similarities to some quick breads - particularly, banana, pumpkin, or zucchini quick breads. The difference is that such breads are not as sweet or delicate as cakes. As a note, you can make carrot bread. :smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2010-01-24, 02:09 AM
Indeed.

Bread is, at its most basic, flour, salt, water, and yeast.

That's it.

Of course, you could add other things.

Heckles cakes, you can even remove the yeast, and it's still bread. Flat bread, but still bread.

THAC0
2010-01-24, 01:56 PM
Heckles cakes, you can even remove the yeast, and it's still bread. Flat bread, but still bread.

And, to be even more confusing, some flat breads actually use yeast, too.

Ah, the wonderful world of bread!

Dragonrider
2010-01-24, 02:07 PM
hundred year old eggs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundred_year_egg) would admit they don't look so appetizing. In actuality they have a distinct flavour and creamy texture, and go well with rice congee.

[ignoring 15-year-old me's ugliness and semi-inept chopstick-holding]http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/china018.jpg
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/soggypoptart/china019.jpgI didn't find them particularly good or bad either way. They're *pretty*.

I'm a big fan of cottage cheese and applesauce mixed. It looks sort of like, well, vomit, but in truth it's godfood.

RebelRogue
2010-01-24, 03:02 PM
And RR, you said that eggs usually aren't in cakes, yet you said 6 eggs are in the aforementioned caked recipe. Just seems kind of odd with how you phrased things and all. Oh, and that particular cake you mentioned would happened to be a recipe for pound cake.
That's because I somehow read the word "usual" as "unusual". Highly confusing, I can see now... :smallredface: Ah yes, I think I've heard it called poundcake before (the local term litterally translates as "pound-to-pound cake").

Syka
2010-01-24, 05:18 PM
Many of the mixed-vegetables-with-sauce dishes I've seen in regards to Indian food look quite weird.

BUT TASTE INCREDIBLE! I pretty much love Indian food. I don't care that I can't feel my mouth for about 2 hours afterwards, it's amazing. Fresh dates are super yum (my Indian friend actually introduced me to dates...I loved the fact she also enjoyed cooking for me, lol).

Yet many Americans I know aren't keen on Indian food, either from looks or because it's too spicy. Bring on the spice!

arguskos
2010-01-24, 05:21 PM
Yet many Americans I know aren't keen on Indian food, either from looks or because it's too spicy. Bring on the spice!
I was raised on authentic South Indian. The spice must flow! :smallbiggrin:

Syka
2010-01-24, 05:28 PM
I was raised on authentic South Indian. The spice must flow! :smallbiggrin:

Mmm...

God, now I'm having craving for some Indian food. *sigh* Got any good recipes I could try? I have a book I got from the Krishna's, but it's only got a couple Indian recipes, it's mostly just a "here's how to have tasty vegetarian/vegan dishes" recipe book, not a "burn your tastebuds into oblivion" recipe book. :smallwink: I've been trying to find the recipe for chickpeas in a kind of thin, spicy red sauce. Both the Krishna's and my friend have made it and it's addictive.

Oh, something I had last night- black bean soup with bacon. It looks kinda nasty, mainly because it's pretty much all black with hunks of meet in it but OMG YUM! It had a nice kick of spice to it, and wasn't a bad texture (I'm picky about the type of beans I eat).

arguskos
2010-01-24, 05:38 PM
Sadly, no, I don't. I am neither Indian nor a great cook. A family friend of my father's went to school in India (he's British and all that) and he cooked for us all the time. I do know of that chickpeas in sauce dish though, and good lord, is it glorious. :smallamused:

I'd believe black bean soup with bacon would be good. Hell, it sounds amazing actually.

One thing I recall eating that looked pretty questionable at the time was a small, fried thing, the name of which escapes me. It was Lebanese, and was a small roundish ball of dough that was just a shell for spiced ground lamb inside of it. It looked kinda questionable at first, but I tried it, and was floored by how good it was. Also, there was another dish that was something like sausages in a very rich pomegranate sauce. Looked like goop, tasted like WIN (and I really hate pomegranates too).

Syka
2010-01-24, 05:49 PM
I think this is it: http://thingsimadethenate.blogspot.com/2009/08/garbanzo-beans-in-spicy-tomato-sauce.html

He makes it look really yummy.

I just found out the boyfriend really hates chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans). I'm determined to sway him, since I too hate chickpeas (and hummus) but LOVE this dish.

arguskos
2010-01-24, 06:23 PM
You... hummus... hate...? :frown: That makes me deeply sad, as my favorite cuisine in the world is practically built on the foundations of hummus and lamb.

Also, yes, I've had that dish. The recipe should be simple to extrapolate, something like tomato sauce, chickpeas, and spices. :smalltongue:

potatocubed
2010-01-24, 06:28 PM
I ate an oven-baked tarantula once. SO GOOD. I'd eat more, but they were only sold over here as 'gag gifts' a couple of Christmasses ago. :smallfrown:

Syka
2010-01-24, 06:52 PM
It's the texture of the hummus. I'm picky about my chickpeas, too. It has to be the right consistency, otherwise it turns my stomach. Love the taste, hate the texture.

I'll eat just about anything as long as the consistency/texture doesn't turn me off. Like, I can't eat a ripe banana. They have to still be green some and firm. If it's all yellow and/or soft, I know it's going to make me ill (I've tried it before...I dry heaved for about 15 minutes for no purpose). Most legumes fall under this, as well.

It's a real bummer for a foodie like myself. :smallfrown:

Oven-baked tarantula sounds...creepy, but good. I'd try it, lol.

Dancing_Zephyr
2010-01-24, 08:00 PM
I've had some dog jerky, and I thought it was pretty good.

Kumo
2010-01-24, 08:03 PM
Broccoli juice.

It's sprite with green food die.

arguskos
2010-01-24, 08:06 PM
I've had some dog jerky, and I thought it was pretty good.
I've eaten dog biscuits. They were actually pretty decent, if dry.

Anuan
2010-01-24, 08:18 PM
On hummus; I generally dislike it, but I've found one brand of premade hummus that is absolutely delicious and I would eat a whole tub of it on carrot-sticks.

Syka
2010-01-24, 09:04 PM
I just found out Oz's mom brought home some venison sausage from his aunt's! Winnnn! I <3 venison, but I've only had it once.

The sausage, for God knows what reason, always looks burnt though. Any other deer meat fans out there?

arguskos
2010-01-24, 09:08 PM
Deer isn't half bad at all. I prefer lamb though (cause lamb is amazing in all possible ways).

I don't know much special to do with deer though. It's not something I get very frequently, and so I'm a bit of out touch on what to do with it.

GenPol
2010-01-24, 09:09 PM
I'd say that most shellfish look god awful, but taste god awesome!

RebelRogue
2010-01-24, 09:26 PM
I'd say that most shellfish look god awful, but taste god awesome!
It's that lovecraftian quality of theirs, I guess :smallbiggrin: But yes, most of it is indeed delicious as can be.

arguskos
2010-01-24, 09:28 PM
It's that lovecratian quality of theirs, I guess :smallbiggrin: But yes, most of it is indeed delicious as can be.
Ohmygod, Bonito is like the tastiest thing ever discovered by man. If cut well, it is SO. AMAZING. I would kill a man for the last piece of Bonito on earth. Hell, I'd kill several.

THAC0
2010-01-24, 10:14 PM
I just found out Oz's mom brought home some venison sausage from his aunt's! Winnnn! I <3 venison, but I've only had it once.

The sausage, for God knows what reason, always looks burnt though. Any other deer meat fans out there?

Never had deer, but I love me some reindeer. Rudolph is amazingly tasty!

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-01-24, 10:26 PM
My mum's homemade sausage looks kinda primordial, but tastes sooo gooood.

Also, not gross in any way, last summer I went on a trip to the US South, which was, for me, a barbecue trip. We went to so many small barbecue huts, and ate so much pork...

Anyways, I discovered that my dad's barbecue sauce is usually spicier than any barbecue sauce there. Then again, we are an incredibly spicy family. Thai Green curry... mmm...

2010-01-25, 02:17 AM
Deer isn't half bad at all. I prefer lamb though (cause lamb is amazing in all possible ways).

I don't know much special to do with deer though. It's not something I get very frequently, and so I'm a bit of out touch on what to do with it.

Venison is usually pretty gamey, as it has little to no fat. But in the right hands, can be very good. It also makes excellent jerky.

Tequila Sunrise
2010-01-25, 09:04 PM
My dad's car got totaled from hitting a deer when I was a kid. We ate venison for months. All I remember was thinking "this isn't bad" for the first few meals of it, but then I got sick of it. Wouldn't mind trying it again though.

Don't like lamb -- too soft. I like to chew my meat; my peanut butter and orange juice too.

Seafood really does have a creepy Lovecraftian quality. Whenever I see a lobster on a plate, all I can imagine is it telling me "I am the flesh and spawn of Satan, now take me into your flesh!" with its beady little eyes. I won't eat seafood that looks like it looked when it was alive.

RebelRogue
2010-01-25, 09:15 PM
Deer is wonderful, but I can totally see how getting too much of it might ruin it. As for it being dry, it's a common practice to pack it into a thin layer of lard before roasting, in order for it to stay juicy.

Speaking of stuff that you can get tired of quickly, my godfather couldn't stomach eating eels since he had it way too often when he was a young man out working for the local farmers. Appearantly, it was very cheap back then. I think there was even a local law against not serving it too often at some time. Now, I personally love having fried eels (or smoked ones with scrambled eggs) once in a while, but I can surely see one growing tired of these fatty fish.

Thajocoth
2010-01-25, 10:10 PM
I dislike food enough that I wish there was an alternative to the whole thing that doesn't result in death.

I tolerate a few milder tastes. The tastes I enjoy can be counted on two fingers. So, if any of my senses say "that's probably gross", I just take their word for it, as, by my experience, they've always been right about that.

They need to somehow make everything taste like chocolate and/or coffee. That'd make everything far easier.