PDA

View Full Version : Epic Spring Break Hitchhiking and Couch Surfing Trip (D.C./Maryland Area)

randman22222
2010-01-22, 10:21 PM
Hi guys. So I'm adventurelusting in a big huge way, and have come to the conclusion that I must spend my spring break hitchhiking and couch surfing.

I figured it would be easiest, funnest, and possibly safest to see if the couch surfing I plan on could be done at the houses of GitP people in the Northwest/D.C./Maryland region. It'd be awesome to meet a bunch of you guys. :smallsmile:

Now.
I was thinking about hitchhiking a bit:
One creepy, skinny, tall, blonde guy hitchhiking alone will get drivers to think, "HMM I BETTER NOT PICK HIM UP HE'LL MUG ME AMIRITE?"
Two guys is right out.
One woman hitchhiking just about never happens because the world is stupid like that.
Frankly, I don't want to hitchhike alone, and the ideal hitchhiking team is one man and one woman. Least intimidating, and any more than two and housing becomes an issue.
I'm fully aware of how creepy this sounds, but would any female-type person wanna come along?
Hey, I'm a forensic science major. I promise I'm the least likely person to do unspeakable evil things. :smallsmile:

All of this said, I'd like to see some replies from people in my general region (I'm in West Virginia) who are interested in either housing a couple of nuts, or to accompany another nuthead. :smalltongue:

If I get enough interest, I'll start planning out an itinerary and PMing people and stuff like that.

If you've got advice to offer, by all means, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks. :smallbiggrin:

Moff Chumley
2010-01-22, 11:19 PM
I'm on the wrong coast, but good luck/have fun! :smallbiggrin:

DraPrime
2010-01-22, 11:24 PM
Sounds interesting. Shame that I'm too far up north (New England) to assist in this great idea.

arguskos
2010-01-22, 11:39 PM
I'm in Columbus, Ohio, and (time-depending) may be able to shack you up for a day or two. It really depends on quite a bit, actually.

If you're passing this way, let me know about two weeks in advance, and I'll try and see if I can arrange something. No guarantees, but I'll see what I can do. :smallwink:

randman22222
2010-01-23, 12:09 AM
I don't think Ohio is in my plans, sorry. :smallfrown:

Depending on where in New England you are, DP... Well, I can't see myself going much further than NYC...

arguskos
2010-01-23, 12:15 AM

Depending on where in New England you are, DP... Well, I can't see myself going much further than NYC...
Fair enough then.

SilverSheriff
2010-01-23, 07:41 AM
A Wild Ivan Milat appears!

But seriously, be careful on this trip.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-23, 09:50 AM
I'd help but you know, wrong continent and all.

Good luck all the same, I've always wanted to do something like this.

randman22222
2010-01-23, 02:26 PM

Lies and slander! I had Illinois and Ohio mixed up. :smallredface:

@V: No dice. :smallsigh:

Krade
2010-01-23, 02:28 PM
If you have a dog, you also have a better chance of getting picked up. People trust you more if you have a dog.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-01-23, 02:40 PM
Hey, I'm a forensic science major. I promise I'm the least likely person to do unspeakable evil things. :smallsmile:

Dexter begs to differ :amused:

KuReshtin
2010-01-23, 03:03 PM
I did kind of the same thing about 11 years ago, where I did a 3½ week tour of the southern states, meeting friends I'd met online, crashing on their couches for a few days before moving on.
Didn't do any hithchiking, though. My friends usually met me somewhere and picked me up, or I rented a car to get where I needed to go.
It was a really good trip.
First and only time I've been to the US.

randman22222
2010-01-24, 03:56 PM
Well, because hitchhiking is a very uncertain mode of transportation, I think I'll limit my trip to one state away at most...

Oh, and Dexter is an exception. I wonder how he managed to pass a psychological evaluation. :smallconfused:

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-25, 02:27 AM
Can't go with you (and I'm a guy anyway), but live in MD and am willing to offer a warm meal and a not totally uncomfortable bed/couch/air mattress so long as we're in town, which we usually are with the exception of the Johnson City meetup (late June) and GenCon (early August this year).

We've put up several Playgrounders over the years, so we have references if needed. :smallcool:

Serpentine
2010-01-25, 02:34 AM
A Wild Ivan Milat appears!

But seriously, be careful on this trip.Thank you for bringing him up :smallbiggrin: I wonder whether anyone else knows what you're talking about...

Butyeh. Stay safe - make sure someone knows where you are, maybe pass on the licence plate of everyone who picks you up to someone trustworthy. And have fun :smallsmile:

Felixaar
2010-01-25, 03:54 AM
Zeiner Felixken Vishes He Vost Availble Feur Trip!

He also needs to get his faux-german out because Anuan slaps him when he does it aloud.

Spring Break is...? March?

Unfortunately I won't be around to August.

And I AM a female-type person, even if I'm male :smalltongue:

randman22222
2010-01-25, 10:21 AM
Zeiner Felixken Vishes He Vost Availble Feur Trip!

He also needs to get his faux-german out because Anuan slaps him when he does it aloud.

Spring Break is...? March?

Unfortunately I won't be around to August.

And I AM a female-type person, even if I'm male :smalltongue:

Heh, ja, dein faux-Deutsch braucht Hilfe...
And yeah, it's in March.
Female even though you're male... I do know exactly what you're talking about, actually. :smalltongue:

Thanks Serpy and everyone for the advice, and @ Zeb and argu, I will PM you guys later when I've got a more detailed plan. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Krade
2010-01-25, 10:00 PM
Consider me a "Safety Reference" for Zeb and Allara. I've met them on several occasions and I am relatively sure I am still alive. Of course, I've never slept around them, so I can't say how safe you may or may not be when you are at your most vulnerable. Needless to say, expect the worst*.

The "worst" in this scenario will, most likely, be pudding.