PDA

View Full Version : You are a lvl 20 wiz (3.5)

Adamaro
2010-01-23, 09:07 AM
I'm exploring the dire world (dire for the DM) of lvl 20 adventuring. So, among other things, I would like some nice (or ugly, broken, munchikin/powergaming) answers regarding this question:

You are a lvl 20 wizard in a as-cliche-as-it-gets world of 3.5 d&d. During 75 years of your life, you became a wizard, a wizard of thai, an archmage and a lich. You have hoarded huge amounts of lesser magic items in your extraplanar castle, only to sell most of them at around age 50, when you realised, there are some really nice trinkets out there and that "gountlets of ogre strenght" do not fit among those.
Yesterday, you killed a tarrasque, which dropped enough xp to make you lvl 20. You will not advance further in lvls, you have a ton of riches in your extrapalanar home, some really nice magic items ...

You wake up this day, realising, you will not gain a single lvl for the rest of your un-life. What do you do?

Gamerlord
2010-01-23, 09:08 AM
End the world.

Primehunter74
2010-01-23, 09:24 AM
Take over the world, you can pretty easily hire an army or create an undead one at your level.

taltamir
2010-01-23, 09:26 AM
lich is a +4 template. Wizard 20 human lich is actually an ECL (effective character level) 24.

Runestar
2010-01-23, 09:27 AM
Burn your xp on wishes?

taltamir
2010-01-23, 09:29 AM
Burn your xp on wishes?

specifically, +5 to ALL stats :)
followed by transforming into a demilich.
just because there is a max of 20 LEVELS doesn't mean you cannot continue to gain in power...
also, craft custom items, powerful items. powerful items that combine multiple items. (example, ring of energy immunity fire + cold + lightening + acid + sonic).

You can safely wish for 25,000gp whenever you want... crafting items could yield better gp to XP ratio (most items cost 12.5gp per XP to craft, and sell for 25gp per XP, aka 12.5gp per XP profit; vs 5gp per XP on the wish)

deuxhero
2010-01-23, 09:45 AM
Use Heroics to gain Martial Study (Iron Heart Surge), end gravity.

Jack_Simth
2010-01-23, 09:53 AM
You can safely wish for 25,000gp whenever you want... crafting items could yield better gp to XP ratio (most items cost 12.5gp per XP to craft, and sell for 25gp per XP, aka 12.5gp per XP profit; vs 5gp per XP on the wish)I've actually looked at that:

1) You generally get 1/2 value when selling, rather than full value.
2) Crafting requires an initial cash expenditure of half the value of the item.

If you're making things for sale, you're losing XP for no gain... normally (this ceases to apply if you can convince the DM you can sell things for full value)

If you arrange to have a proper shop, you can make money that way... but Wall of Iron (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wallOfIron.htm) is much, much faster and simpler, as Iron is a Trade Good valued at 1 sp per pound (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/wealthAndMoney.htm#wealthOtherThanCoins) and with Iron's Density of about 491 pounds per cubic foot (http://www.coolmagnetman.com/magconda.htm) that caster level 20 Wall of Iron (20 five-foot squares at 5 inches thick is 20*5*5*(5/12) cubic feet (Approx. 208 cubic feet) weighs in at approximately 102,291 pounds. 10,000 gp value for a single casting of a 6th level Sor/Wiz spell, and it cost you 50 gp and 0 xp. Buy whatever you want. Just be warned: You're likely to have a rust monster horde (not that you care, being a Wizard) or a DM smite by other means coming.

As for what to do? Have fun by whatever name. Of course, what's fun is a personal call. Take over the world only to give it to a 3 year old girl as a birthday present? Go for it.

Adumbration
2010-01-23, 09:56 AM
Stomp viciously on any other wizards attempting to reach level 20? A.k.a all of them?

Adamaro
2010-01-23, 09:57 AM
Taking over the world sounds a rather popular idea here. How?

Greymane
2010-01-23, 10:06 AM

Um. You're a level 20 wizard. The number of options you have to reach that goal is staggering...

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-23, 10:13 AM
You wake up this day, realising, you will not gain a single lvl for the rest of your un-life. What do you do?

Make tea. Alter Self into something with taste buds. Enjoy the tea, then go do volunteer work at a charity.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-23, 10:13 AM
Yup. I'd take over the world in a completely legitimate fashion, making it extremely difficult for the forces of good to oppose me. I mean, we're literally talking about endless time here.

I'd start with commerce. I have a ridiculous amount of money, and the ability to kill large dangerous things for profit. It's not unreasonable for me to fund a shipping company and such. The more I own, the more I control.

Now, permanencied spells may as well be abused. Likewise, anything with an xp component. There's no reason not to spend 8hrs per day crafting magical items. Full on tippyverses take a ridiculous amount of power and money to create, but I'd happily use magic where appropriate to make things more efficient. Pretty hard for mundane commoners and experts to compete with that.

Not that I want to entirely crush them....they always have the option of joining with me. I want to rule the world, and be loved for it.

Gamerlord
2010-01-23, 10:14 AM

Cause a lvl 20 wizard can be stopped by NOTHING.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-23, 10:15 AM
Cause a lvl 20 wizard can be stopped by NOTHING.

Other than a 21st level wizard, you mean?

deuxhero
2010-01-23, 10:16 AM
A wizard 10/loremaster 10 with more prep time than the wizard 20?

Tyndmyr
2010-01-23, 10:16 AM
Prep time = simalacrum army.

mostlyharmful
2010-01-23, 10:17 AM
take up flyfishing. become an expert flyfisher. develop new and ingenious techniques that revolutionize the world of flyfishing. Achieve universal respect as the greatest flyfisher the world has ever known.

Disappear, change name and appearance. Create new identity.

Repeat above with any form of human endevour replacing flyfishing, bonus points if you come up with a huge table which you roll on to create your new fifty year hobby.

Gamerlord
2010-01-23, 10:20 AM
Other than a 21st level wizard, you mean?
I meant anything but a higher-level wizard.

The Glyphstone
2010-01-23, 10:21 AM
1.Take a small portion of my infinite time to write a grand, revolutionary thesis on the never-ending ascension of power scale from mortal heroes to demigods and beyond, including but not limited to the near-incomprehensibly powerful magic spells that could be wielded by those capable of transcending this limitation.
2.Call it 'Ye Olde Handbook ove Thine Levels Epic".
3. Continue collecting XP.
4.???
5.Profit!

Adumbration
2010-01-23, 10:24 AM
I meant anything but a higher-level wizard.

Equivalent level Incantatrix or Initiate of the Sevenfold veil?

I wouldn't bet on a 20th level wizard against 19th level either.

taltamir
2010-01-23, 10:31 AM
1) You generally get 1/2 value when selling, rather than full value.
2) Crafting requires an initial cash expenditure of half the value of the item.

You generally get 1/2 value when selling random loot to a random shop...
in this specific case you are the shop, and you are possibly being commissioned to craft something at full market price.
but yes, I have considered the possibility that crafting just burns XP for nothing before :)

you could go around casting spells for people... the price is excellent, you can make many thousands of GP per day... just prep the right spells.

Zaydos
2010-01-23, 10:35 AM
Do all 20 levels have to be in wizard or wizard + wizard PrC?

Okay on the actual track:
1st: Figure out how to perfectly word a wish to be human again instead of a lich.
2nd: Figure out how to perfectly word a wish to be immortal and eternally young without being undead.
3rd: Make said wishes.
4th: Take over the world and start a dynasty.
5th: Find and prep heir, killing all other up and coming wizards to protect the royal throne; only me and my heir can have wizardry.
6th: Travel to other Prime Material World.
7th: Repeat steps 4 through 6 12 times.
8th: Write a book on my hobby (for argument's sake it's the tending of rock gardens and not the creation of unspeakable horrors).
9th: Find a new hobby and perfect that.
10th: Become a god.

mostlyharmful
2010-01-23, 10:37 AM
You generally get 1/2 value when selling random loot to a random shop...
in this specific case you are the shop, and you are possibly being commissioned to craft something at full market price.
but yes, I have considered the possibility that crafting just burns XP for nothing before :)

you could go around casting spells for people... the price is excellent, you can make many thousands of GP per day... just prep the right spells.

you don't even need that, just leave a few blank slots. Plus with a cosmos as vast as the DnD one there's always enough demand, specially if you set up your shingle in a planer metropolis like sigil or the City of Brass.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-01-23, 10:40 AM
Make tea. Alter Self into something with taste buds. Enjoy the tea, then go do volunteer work at a charity.
This^

Also, secure my domain. And by "secure" and "my domain" I mean cast Genesis and go live in my own Plane. Keep casting Genesis, and importing things to live there with me, and make a perfect world (as far as I'm concerned). Set the parameters of my Plane to favour me and my minions and hamper my enemies.

When you're not on the same plane as the people who want to mess with you, you are safer - they can't scry for you, can't teleport to you, and even if they can figure out where you are, they still have to cast high level spells just to get to you...

Origomar
2010-01-23, 11:04 AM
could a god kill a level 20 wizard? x.x or gods

taltamir
2010-01-23, 11:04 AM
This^

Also, secure my domain. And by "secure" and "my domain" I mean cast Genesis and go live in my own Plane. Keep casting Genesis, and importing things to live there with me, and make a perfect world (as far as I'm concerned). Set the parameters of my Plane to favour me and my minions and hamper my enemies.

When you're not on the same plane as the people who want to mess with you, you are safer - they can't scry for you, can't teleport to you, and even if they can figure out where you are, they still have to cast high level spells just to get to you...

My plan was always:
1. make a demiplane (expand it constantly)
2. fill it with plants and animals that you personally imported from the prime material.
3. create a new sentient race using your magic, have them worship you as a god.
4. when you have enough worshipers, you become an actual god... continue to expand with total security... (remember, the power of gods is dependant on their worshipers, and noone, not even a god, may enter a demi-plane without the permission of its owner... never let anyone into your plane).

Dragero
2010-01-23, 11:15 AM
I would research:

SUMMON BIGGER FISH!

Roupe
2010-01-23, 11:20 AM
As a Bored wizard, I would Plan & Arrange events and happenings so I have something not boring to observe/scry.

(IRL Movies and Games are what I do to keep boredom & stress away)

I fondly remember a ancient ADD adventure called Catapult Run, (Fantasy Factory) where A powerful wizard holds a race event for adventure teams.
--
If that Doesn't do the trick, or If I have wanderlust. I would place self-inflicted constraints upon myself (IRL I do that in Games that have become to easy)

Like masquerade as another class at appropriate lvl.
For example A lvl 20 Wizard has +10/+5 base attack +6 fort
similar to a lvl 9-10 warrior.

Then there are the "negative levels,"

Riffington
2010-01-23, 11:21 AM
Corner the market on diamonds and the derivatives thereof (primarily dust)

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-23, 11:21 AM

I'd do something like this. Just sort of...chill. Immortality is a long time. Once I'm a 20th-level wizard with massive wealth and all the time in the world, it's time to reap the benefits of my work. Also, transform myself into some variety of elf, since their brain physiology is designed to cope with this sort of relaxation.

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-23, 11:31 AM
I would research:

SUMMON BIGGER FISH!

:smallbiggrin: The most versatile spell in existence, you must know it.

2xMachina
2010-01-23, 11:44 AM
Elf... don't think they're immortal. On the other hand, Elans are immortal, so they're used to living forever.

Personally, I'd Genesis a plane, and make Tippyverse there. No Epic is a bit hard (cause otherwise, you can just Origin of the Species something to be your commoners). I guess I just have to import some real people.

taltamir
2010-01-23, 11:48 AM
I'd do something like this. Just sort of...chill. Immortality is a long time. Once I'm a 20th-level wizard with massive wealth and all the time in the world, it's time to reap the benefits of my work. Also, transform myself into some variety of elf, since their brain physiology is designed to cope with this sort of relaxation.

pfft, elves are made of fail... besides... you get to transform yourself!
PaO yourself into a dragon, or a solar, or something GOOD.
I'd go with solar...

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-23, 11:51 AM
Ah, that's a better idea. A dragon.

Elans aren't particularly known for having psychologies specifically designed around immortality. Outsiders, on the other hand, do - but they have one-track minds, sort of, because of their physiological alignment composition.

Dragons, on the other hand, are more powerful than elves yet have minds suited to long life. Become a dragon, somehow.

taltamir
2010-01-23, 11:53 AM
would transforming into a solar make your mind one track? would you be unable to perform an evil action while transformed into a solar?

I guess a dragon would work then if that is the case...

dsmiles
2010-01-23, 11:53 AM

I ask the DM, "Why can't I gain any more levels?"

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-23, 12:01 PM
would transforming into a solar make your mind one track? would you be unable to perform an evil action while transformed into a solar?

No, but the whole reason I was doing this polymorph junk was so that my mind would be better suited for immortality. Polymorphing so that your physiology aligns with your desired (leisurely) psychology would help the process in a minor way. Being a [good] outsider won't confine you, but it certainly won't help you get to your hedonistic goal.

dsmiles
2010-01-23, 12:04 PM
Elf... don't think they're immortal. On the other hand, Elans are immortal, so they're used to living forever.

Yeah, but you're not born an Elan. So, in actuality, you would still have to get used to being immortal...

taltamir
2010-01-23, 12:07 PM
Ah, that's a better idea. A dragon.

Elans aren't particularly known for having psychologies specifically designed around immortality. Outsiders, on the other hand, do - but they have one-track minds, sort of, because of their physiological alignment composition.

Dragons, on the other hand, are more powerful than elves yet have minds suited to long life. Become a dragon, somehow.

lets say the assumption is that becoming a solar, pit fiend, or other outsiders will mess up with your free will... then you want to become a true dragon.
True dragons have innate sorcerer levels, those levels stack with regular levels of sorcerer. They may also choose spells from the wizard/sorc AND the cleric list for their sorcerer spells.
there is a template, spellhoarding, that makes dragon sorc levels be wizard levels instead (same benefit of taking cleric spells too).

You can become something by casting polymorph any object twice.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm

the first time you cast it on yourself, the duration is:
same kingdom (animal) +5
total = 5 = 12 hours... you are now a dragon for 12 hours for ALL purposes...

now cast PaA on yourself again, since you are a dragon the duration is:
Same kingdom (animal, vegetable, mineral) +5
Same class (mammals, fungi, metals, etc.) +2
Same size +2
Related (twig is to tree, wolf fur is to wolf, etc.) +2
Same or lower Intelligence +2
Total = 13 = permanent...

and you DO gain int, wis, and cha btw...
I guess you could use a wish to really make it stick (since permanent can be dispelled).
if you are a sorcerer, just become a regular dragon, if you are a wizard, become a spellhoarding dragon... you now gain levels of wizard / sorcerer, which push you beyond level 20.

Make sure you are a "greatwyrm" of some real good dragon type (if using core only and no epic, that means being a "spellhoarding gold dragon")... oh, and do the same with your familiar :)

And to top it all off, many dragons (such as gold dragons) can assume any humanoid or animal shapes at will while maintaining all their effective attributes but size modifiers (they maintain nat armor, ability to speak and cast, mental and physical bonuses, etc etc etc)

Flarp
2010-01-23, 12:12 PM
Find a coven of Illithids and subjugate them to your will.

Then do this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101587).

Myou
2010-01-23, 12:12 PM
... (since permanent can be dispelled). ...

Is there any RAW way to change that? 'Permanent unless someone uses a common low level spell to dispel it' kind of sucks.

taltamir
2010-01-23, 12:16 PM
Is there any RAW way to change that? 'Permanent unless someone uses a common low level spell to dispel it' kind of sucks.

there is a weapon enchantments that makes you completely immune to a specific spell (very specific)...
wear a pair of gauntlets on your hands (they count as a weapon, yet leave your hands free).
Enchant them with spell immunity (dispel), spell immunity (greater dispel), spell immunity (disjunction)...

actually if you have the money, spell immunity for every hostile spell out there :)

Also, keep in mind that dispelling has a DC based on the opponents caster level... since being a great wyrm of most dragons (including gold dragon which is what we chose) gives you a caster level of 19 which stacks with same type caster class levels. your total wizard or sorcerer level is 39...

for dispel magic:
[quote]One object, creature, or spell is the target of the dispel magic spell. You make a dispel check (1d20 + your caster level, maximum +10) against the spell or against each ongoing spell currently in effect on the object or creature. The DC for this dispel check is 11 + the spell’s caster level. If you succeed on a particular check, that spell is dispelled; if you fail, that spell remains in effect.

So the caster level DC to dispel your dragonform is 50. that is if you did not have any ITEMS at the time of casting that boosted it... you can go ahead and cast PaO on yourself every morning to have hundreds of permanent castings on you that overlap and each needs to be dispelled before you revert.

greater dispel actually allows a max of +20, which means a 20th level caster who rolls a nat 20 got a 40 vs your DC50, and failed... any caster level boosting items that they have, you probably do too... so if there are items that grant +5 to caster level, then their max roll is 45 vs DC55... whatever they do they cannot dispel you unless they have undergone the same dragon transformation... in which case they have a 50/50 chance.

Myou
2010-01-23, 12:21 PM
there is a weapon enchantments that makes you completely immune to a specific spell (very specific)...
wear a pair of gauntlets on your hands (they count as a weapon, yet leave your hands free).
Enchant them with spell immunity (dispel), spell immunity (greater dispel), spell immunity (disjunction)...

actually if you have the money, spell immunity for every hostile spell out there :)

Hah hah, a nice trick, but that isn't making the spell truely permanent - Dispel still dispels it, you're just using the item to hield yourself. It's a shame because if your character chooses to change their species or the like then it should be a real change, not a facade that falls away that easily. Although I guess to most people that's not a distinction worth making.

But hey, if I'm a lich wizard I don't want to turn into something less disgusting only to know at the back of the mind that really I'm still a lich, just pretending to be something else.

2xMachina
2010-01-23, 12:26 PM
There's also the spellblade in Faerun I think. Immune to 1 spell.

Or you can True Mind Switch into whatever you want. Yay, new body. Don't really like it though. (cause they'd hate you for swapping, so you have to kill yourself or something) (Or you can find a Dragon who wants to be something. Find that something who happens to want to be a lich/immortal. Swap with him. Then swap with the dragon)

Try using Wish to adjust. Or research a new PoA with Instantaneous duration. Both needs DM fiat though.

taltamir
2010-01-23, 12:30 PM
There's also the spellblade in Faerun I think. Immune to 1 spell.

i thought that was core... oops... yea thats the one i was referring to.

Douglas
2010-01-23, 12:31 PM

If you're talking about Spellblade, that's only for targeted spells. An area dispel will work just fine, though it is limited to only getting rid of one spell per target per casting.

Disjunction will screw you over regardless.

Adamaro
2010-01-23, 12:32 PM
I ask the DM, "Why can't I gain any more levels?"
Gods do not desire to be challenged by epic-lvl mortals. (yes, even being a lich, for gods you are still a mortal). So you may hoard xp, but that does not gain you any lvls.

deuxhero
2010-01-23, 12:36 PM
Corner the market on diamonds and the derivatives thereof (primarily dust)

Do something someone has already done in the real world (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Beers)? That isn't very exciting.

taltamir
2010-01-23, 12:40 PM
If you're talking about Spellblade, that's only for targeted spells. An area dispel will work just fine, though it is limited to only getting rid of one spell per target per casting.

Disjunction will screw you over regardless.

the area dispells don't matter, because every morning you cast an additional PaO on yourself with a permanent duration... those overlap... this means that if you have been doing it for 50 days, they need to successfully dispel you 50 times...
and only a wizard/sorc 20 who has also PaO himself into a greatwyrm can defeat your DC for the area dispel, 50% of the time.
Without said trick, they can not, ever succeed on said dispel check.

dinjunction can ruin your day though... but it can ruin everyone's day.
and you do have "foresight" so you are never flat footed. and other tricks to break the action econmy...
simulcrum and demi plane for security, etc...

if you want something done you don't do it, you stay in your demiplane and send a simulcrum to do it

2xMachina
2010-01-23, 12:41 PM
But there, you also control life and death (Resurrections). Here, only marriages at best.

Roderick_BR
2010-01-23, 12:59 PM
Use Heroics to gain Martial Study (Iron Heart Surge), end gravity.
It's not an effect with limited duration.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-23, 01:01 PM

Actually, according to certain theories of reality... it is.

mostlyharmful
2010-01-23, 01:02 PM

It's certainly an effect. Whether it's of limited duration depends on your worlds cosmology/metaphysics.

Beorn080
2010-01-23, 01:45 PM
Become the Wizard Who Did It. Set up a magical breeding program to recreate the various hybrid animals. Bonus points if you set up the program on your own plane and make them intelligent worshippers of you. Eventually you will be a god leading an army of intelligent dire batowlbearpenguins to conquer the multiverse.

Research the ability to make a permanent Gate, and cast one 20 miles up on your home plane to the Plane of water. Before this, corner the market on magical breathing apparatus.

taltamir
2010-01-23, 02:18 PM
pen(guin)-(B)ear(dra)-gon-owl
peneargonowl, pronounced Pen-Err-Gone-Owl

Temotei
2010-01-23, 02:23 PM
pen(guin)-(B)ear(dra)-gon-owl
peneargonowl, pronounced Pen-Err-Gone-Owl

I would rather pronounce the "gon" part as (hard "G") "gin."

Like dragon. :smallsigh:

What I would do as a level 20 wizard: Everything.

Sorry, that came out wrong. Dragons do everything.

What I would accomplish as a level 20 wizard: Everything.

There. :smallbiggrin:

taltamir
2010-01-23, 02:26 PM
I would rather pronounce the "gon" part as (hard "G") "gin."

Like dragon. :smallsigh:

What I would do as a level 20 wizard: Everything.

Sorry, that came out wrong. Dragons do everything.

What I would accomplish as a level 20 wizard: Everything.

There. :smallbiggrin:

1. I WOULD do everything... wizards casts polymorph, then proceeds to have some fun :)... other spells that are fun for that include shrink, enlarge, grease, breath water, and many many others.

2. You pronounce Dragon as DraGin? thats hilarious and awesome... I always pronounced Dragon with the Gon being like Gone (not exactly, but kinda similar).

Temotei
2010-01-23, 02:35 PM
1. I WOULD do everything... wizards casts polymorph, then proceeds to have some fun :)... other spells that are fun for that include shrink, enlarge, grease, breath water, and many many others.

2. You pronounce Dragon as DraGin? thats hilarious and awesome... I always pronounced Dragon with the Gon being like Gone (not exactly, but kinda similar).

Technically, we're both wrong. Drag-uhn is the correct way to say it. :smallbiggrin:

Never mind. Drāg'ən is another way.

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-23, 02:35 PM
Dra-Gun, for me....and I think he mis-pronounces gin. it has a soft g, and sounds remarkably like chin.

Temotei
2010-01-23, 02:36 PM
Dra-Gun, for me....and I think he mis-pronounces gin. it has a soft g, and sounds remarkably like chin.

Hence my parenthesized (Hard "G") in that post. :smallconfused:

Also, turns out (from my audio plays on dictionary.com) that I was pronouncing it correctly, and always have. :smallbiggrin: Hooray.

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-23, 02:41 PM
The difference between drag-in, and drag-uhn is very very small, and depends a lot on dialect.

Also, are we now talking about how to pronounce dragon?

I don't think any of us would actually accomplish anything as a L20 Wiz....too easily distracted, and too capable of doing what we wonder about.

Temotei
2010-01-23, 02:50 PM
The difference between drag-in, and drag-uhn is very very small, and depends a lot on dialect.

Also, are we now talking about how to pronounce dragon?

I don't think any of us would actually accomplish anything as a L20 Wiz....too easily distracted, and too capable of doing what we wonder about.

That's it! I'd figure out what the most-used pronunciation of dragon is without spells, then, when I did figure it out, I'd do whatever I wanted. Whenever.

Force
2010-01-23, 02:54 PM
If I am the actual level 20 wiz, with all my memories intact... I take over the world-- benignly-- set up food & water traps, plus cure spell traps, and then begin industrializing society. If magic only provides for health and food, and everything else comes from technology, that should cut down on possible magical competitors. After they reach a certain point, magic use can be phased out to primarily be used to defend against outsiders and other, similar, beasties.

On the other hand, if I can Plane Shift back to modern Earth... I set up a business, catering to the military, fantasy lovers, and the furry fandom, specializing in PaO's :D

illyrus
2010-01-23, 03:08 PM
Sorry if any of these have already been said

- Setup a mage school.

- Invent some useful 1-9th level spells with your name attached to them.

- Create a new breed of creature that has some function.

- Research methods to create another plane of existence/world and proceed to go through with said research.

- Go plane hopping in an effort to discover every material plane. Repeat every 200 years or so to see how things have changed.

- Get a significant other, repeat.

- Try to get some of the gods to consider a revision for the current world.

Really it all boils down to creating a passion or two that's not growing more powerful and go off in search of fulfilling that/those passion(s). Just my 2 cents.

Johel
2010-01-23, 03:20 PM
Wall of Stone traps
Wall of Iron traps
Stone to Flesh traps
Fabricate traps
PaO traps
Teleport Object traps

Open a world-wide delivery company.
Iron, Stone, Meat... You can deliver them anywhere, in huge amount and in a matter of minutes.

Now, find a way to get your hands on traps of "Transmute Metal to Wood" and on a few hundreds of Decanters of Endless Water and you can start some huge monopoly on... pretty much everything.

Soon, the population will rely on your cheap goods, without questioning your motives or even your very nature (a lich...). Some might even worship you while most monarchs will lick your boots to get favors (an endless flow of weapons for their troops ? no problem...) or simply avoid your wrath (an endless flow of weapons for their rival's troops ? no problem...).

If somebody pulls the same trick as you, find a way to bind his soul. You control matter and space. Find a way to control time as well and you'll be a true god. Of course, at this point, your DM has thrown Mechanus at you... several times...

Tyndmyr
2010-01-23, 03:43 PM
On the other hand, if I can Plane Shift back to modern Earth... I set up a business, catering to ... furry fandom, specializing in PaO's :D

No, no, I'll stay in fantasy land, thank you. It's much less disturbing there.

LurkerInPlayground
2010-01-23, 03:47 PM
I brood in my tower with lightning flashing in the background.

Once I get bored of that, I will give side-quests to adventurers because I can't be bothered to do things myself. I will also give irritatingly cryptic advice, just for giggles. I have the insider angle on these things, but why give those stupid apes the satisfaction?

Adamaro
2010-01-23, 04:24 PM
I like how this is developing. And regarding all this, I think I found first limitations to wiz.

If somebody pulls the same trick as you, find a way to bind his soul. You control matter and space. Find a way to control time as well and you'll be a true god. Of course, at this point, your DM has thrown Mechanus at you... several times...

- a large delegation of lvl 20 druids (food traps are making population explode, so NO from treehuggers)
- a large delegation of lvl 20 clerics-dwarfs (dwarfs have a badass subterranian empires in most generic d&d sets) with hammer-supported complaints regarding massive production of anything. We do not want unfair competition, do we now?
- a large delegation of lvl 20 clerics of good gods. (all this hoarding and tampering - SURELY Pelor is not amused. ANd thus a local lvl 2 paladin brings along a couple of his cleric-ish friends)
- wiz collegues. Surely, some of them want the same as you (just with them in a role of alpha male), some are LG, NG, CG and may annoy you and lastly, there are also always those E wizs who find the only fun challenge around in killing another equal lvl wiz ("other classes are no fun")

Some additional cents from me. BTW: I love the answers so far.

Kallisti
2010-01-23, 04:40 PM
Stamp out pretty much every other wizard who knows any of the following: Shivering Touch, Celerity or any of its ilk, Orb of X or any of its ilk, Alter Self, Wraithstrike, any eighth or ninth level spell, any variant of Shapeshift...pretty much all the spells that break Wizards. Those spells are mine, and nobody else is allowed to cast them.

Then I go kill Boccob and move into his library. I'll read in the library 'till I get bored, go invent a new species just for lolz, go read in the library 'till I get bored, go give adventurers a bunch of increasingly random sidequests and frustratingly cryptic advice just for lolz, go read in the library 'till I get bored, use an Iron Heart Vest: Iron Heart Surge to deactivate causality for a while before Wishing it back just for lolz, read in the library 'till I get bored...

Basically, stamp out the competition and go read every book in Boccob's infinitely large library, with occasional breaks to go and be The Wizard Who Did It.

Of course, for the first couple of centuries after I stamp out the other wizards and kill Boccob, I'll be fighting off random adventurers and inevitables and crap waaaaay too often. Stupid elves and their long memories...grumblegrumblegrumblegrumble....ought to go Programmed Amnesia the lot of them...

mostlyharmful
2010-01-23, 04:44 PM
I like how this is developing. And regarding all this, I think I found first limitations to wiz.

- a large delegation of lvl 20 druids (food traps are making population explode, so NO from treehuggers)

Really? Even if you set up your uptopia on an uninhabited moon? or another dimension created through Genesis?

- a large delegation of lvl 20 clerics-dwarfs (dwarfs have a badass subterranian empires in most generic d&d sets) with hammer-supported complaints regarding massive production of anything. We do not want unfair competition, do we now?

We're a level 20 wizard.... who the hell cares if a bunch of vertically challenged miners show up? Retrain them for service industry jobs in your post-industrial economy with the bribe of increased living standerds and pay with no heavy lifting. If one in a thousand wants to 'maintain the purity of their cultural integrity' then sure, set up a theme park for them, make the rest feel better about growing up, maybe even get them to pay for it...

- a large delegation of lvl 20 clerics of good gods. (all this hoarding and tampering - SURELY Pelor is not amused. ANd thus a local lvl 2 paladin brings along a couple of his cleric-ish friends)

So dedicate ten percent to the good gods temples, ten percent to socially beneficial projects and a further seventy percent to industrial development. Something tells me Pelor'd take that over a petty minded little thug in armour on a horse robbing peasents of their turnips and calling himself the lord of the manor.

- wiz collegues. Surely, some of them want the same as you (just with them in a role of alpha male), some are LG, NG, CG and may annoy you and lastly, there are also always those E wizs who find the only fun challenge around in killing another equal lvl wiz ("other classes are no fun")

Some additional cents from me. BTW: I love the answers so far.

Good naturally co-operates, Neutral naturally cares about the bottem line, Evil naturally looks to make a quick buck the easiest way posible. All of them prefer the world as has been suggested.

Diagoras
2010-01-23, 05:13 PM
Find a way to destroy magic, divinity, and all other supernatural annoyances.

The new world will be run on inviolable physical laws. None of this stupid "clap your hands if you believe" nonsense.

Ashiel
2010-01-23, 05:26 PM

Personally, I'd Genesis a plane, and make Tippyverse there. No Epic is a bit hard (cause otherwise, you can just Origin of the Species something to be your commoners). I guess I just have to import some real people.

Actually a pre-epic wizard using only SRD material can play god. Here's the easiest method (which was actually used as the creation method for my homebrew setting).

1) Cast Genesis to create your plane.
2) Take a bit of earth, or a rock, or whatever from your plane.
3) Cast Polymorph Any Object to turn that rock into a mighty oak tree (for S&Gs let's name it Yggdrapwn).
4) Cast Polymorph Any Object on it again to make it permanent.
5) Cast Polymorph Any Object on its acorns to create thousands of different plant species.
6) Proceed through steps 3-5 repeatedly, only this time with fish, birds, and animals.
7) Rest and enjoy your ant-farm.

Eventually the PAO'd creations will breed, and you'll have your own world full of creatures, who originally came from the dust of the earth.
:smallbiggrin:

Ravens_cry
2010-01-23, 05:41 PM
Research and crafting. I will create cartsthat move themselves, with no need for horse or ox, and cheap enough for the common man. I will create an international system of communication. I will create machine, no magic involved, that can take to the air. I will create machines that can do sums faster then the fastest abacus. I will create a device capable of reproducing a book as often as needed, cheaply and quickly. I will create a means of preserving foods while still retaining that fresh from the garden taste. I will make afire that can heat an entire home, and put it in every peasants abode. I will drag this world out of this perpetual stasis and into a new utopia of freedom and ingenuity.

Adamaro
2010-01-24, 04:48 AM
This is fokken amazing :-D

tnx 4 all the answers loved it :-D

Chrono22
2010-01-24, 04:52 AM
I question my sanity. Liches can't sleep.

ZeroNumerous
2010-01-24, 05:07 AM
I become buddies with Boccob. Largely because: Who else is an immortal wizard who has no goals? It'll be like the Odd Couple.

"What happens when a Chaotic Neutral freespirit moves in with a True Neutral indifferent god? Lets find out!"

Alex Ashgrave
2010-01-24, 06:11 AM
Explore the universe. Then move on to other universes. And use the time travel spells someone made (Teleport through time-if they were allowed) to see everything. Then....hmmm.....brood some....Exlore other universes (with more time travel) Keep going with this combo until you can't take it and top yourself. (Or you go mad and someone/some party tops you)

onthetown
2010-01-24, 09:18 AM

The same thing you do every night: Try to take over the world.

I didn't have time to read over all the posts so something tells me somebody's already beaten me to that quote.

taltamir
2010-01-24, 12:15 PM
Actually a pre-epic wizard using only SRD material can play god. Here's the easiest method (which was actually used as the creation method for my homebrew setting).

1) Cast Genesis to create your plane.
2) Take a bit of earth, or a rock, or whatever from your plane.
3) Cast Polymorph Any Object to turn that rock into a mighty oak tree (for S&Gs let's name it Yggdrapwn).
4) Cast Polymorph Any Object on it again to make it permanent.
5) Cast Polymorph Any Object on its acorns to create thousands of different plant species.
6) Proceed through steps 3-5 repeatedly, only this time with fish, birds, and animals.
7) Rest and enjoy your ant-farm.

Eventually the PAO'd creations will breed, and you'll have your own world full of creatures, who originally came from the dust of the earth.
:smallbiggrin:

nice... can polymorph any object create a species that didn't exist before? I see no reason why not...and this means it is better than the epic spell genesis

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-24, 12:21 PM

The Wizard needs to roll for Fortitude save to handle that much sex.

Also, now my mind is in the gutter because I am now imaging Wizards as the ultimate pimp. They are a walking Rule34; they can pleasure anyone. ANYONE.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-24, 12:24 PM
Animate Objects.

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-24, 12:25 PM
Animate Objects.

Can they vibrate?

2xMachina
2010-01-24, 12:35 PM
Oh God. Animated Vibrators... Run!

Yahzi
2010-01-24, 12:36 PM