PDA

View Full Version : Best [fighter] feats to get with heroics? [3.5]

deuxhero
2010-01-23, 10:01 AM
SC has the spell Heroics, that gives you fighter feats (temporarily) . What are good [fighter] feats to gain on a temporary basis? Martial Study and Martial Stance are both legal, what maneuvers/stances are good for situational enough that they are good options for this?

Optimystik
2010-01-23, 10:22 AM
I'd use Blind Fight for the defensive bonuses, maybe Improved Critical on an Orbizard or Theurge/Lock if they didn't have those yet.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-23, 10:28 AM
Improved Initiative.

Optimystik
2010-01-23, 10:31 AM
Improved Initiative.

At a mere 10 min,/level, you're probably going to be casting this thing in combat, at which point Initiative is a done deal. :smalltongue:

Could be handy if your DM telegraphs it though.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-23, 10:32 AM
I'm sorry, I forgot there were people who do not persist spells.

Optimystik
2010-01-23, 10:35 AM
I'm sorry, I forgot there were people who do not persist spells.

You can't persist touch spells.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-23, 10:37 AM
You speak as if there were not a way around that.

Draz74
2010-01-23, 12:05 PM
Persist aside, 10 min/level is a pretty long duration. By mid-levels, that means Heroics can last for a few hours. (Everyone should have a Lesser Metamagic Rod of Extend, after all.) In my experience, most parties don't spend longer than a few hours per day dungeon-crawling anyway. So Heroics is perfectly usable before battle actually starts.

Martial Study and Martial Stance are definitely the coolest uses for the spell. What maneuvers to pick up depends on what you already have. Every trip build would benefit from Mighty Throw or similar Setting Sun strikes. Casters can benefit a lot from Mind over Body or Action before Thought. Really, though, on non-ToB characters, the maneuvers you can pick up via Heroics are pretty similar to what you can get with a 3000-gp item.

Mostly, feats to gain with Heroics are just "whatever feat you want most, but haven't had a chance to take yet." There's not very many feats that are situationally awesome but not worth taking yourself. There may be a few, though.

Woodland Archer: time for some sniping.
Improved Disarm: oh, we're actually fighting humanoids with melee weapons today.
Improved Feint: we just met a monster with friggin high Dexterity.