PDA

View Full Version : Tsukkio's Eyes

Tyndmyr
2010-01-23, 11:25 AM
Dunno if this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen it...she's got different color eyes, one blue, one black. So far as I know, this is entirely unique in the comic, and probably means something. Sure, you've got the duality of the mystic theurge thing, but I haven't seen blue eyes linked with either divine or arcane casters.

Eyes are generally red for undead, yellow for the non undead members of team evil, and black for pretty much everyone else.

Sure, you've got the odd colors for monsters or magical effects, but those don't seem to be terribly important, and anyhow, I've not seen anything with a deep blue like that. Has anyone else got any information or ideas as to what it could mean?

ScottishDragon
2010-01-23, 11:28 AM
Dunno if this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen it...she's got different color eyes, one blue, one black. So far as I know, this is entirely unique in the comic, and probably means something. Sure, you've got the duality of the mystic theurge thing, but I haven't seen blue eyes linked with either divine or arcane casters.

Eyes are generally red for undead, yellow for the non undead members of team evil, and black for pretty much everyone else.

Sure, you've got the odd colors for monsters or magical effects, but those don't seem to be terribly important, and anyhow, I've not seen anything with a deep blue like that. Has anyone else got any information or ideas as to what it could mean?

She has a diff color eye in all comics,is mr. scrufy the same?i noticed he had a diff eye color in #698,are his eyes diff colors?

Kish
2010-01-23, 11:29 AM
Her arcane magic color seems to be black, her divine magic color blue. Beyond that, I doubt it has more significance than Pompey's single ear denoting that he's a half-elf.

Lvl45DM!
2010-01-23, 11:44 AM
Arcane is purple

Strawberries
2010-01-23, 11:53 AM
You know, I always tought that the eyes of two different colours emphasized the fact that she is not the most sane or stable of people.

I don't really know why I associate different eye colour with madness though. Maybe some subconscious leftover from having read Sandman (Delirium has eyes of different colours, blue and green).

Allan Surgite
2010-01-23, 11:56 AM
Pssst. It's heterochromia, which Keith Baker shares in his appearance; it's not unique, in that instance.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-23, 11:59 AM
I think it is purely because of the twin magic types.

Or maybe because she's alive and is attracted to the dead.

Strawberries
2010-01-23, 12:04 PM
Pssst. It's heterochromia, which Keith Baker shares in his appearance; it's not unique, in that instance.

My post didn't come out the way I intended it. I should have said that I make that association for comic characters, because of the "sandman" example I mentioned. I was aware that some people in real life have eyes of two different color, and I didn't mean to imply that the association estended to those people. My bad :smallsmile:.

Keris
2010-01-23, 12:24 PM
Dunno if this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen it...she's got different color eyes, one blue, one black.
Little thing, both of Tsukiko's eyes are blue. One is a darker blue than the other, but they're both blue. And I'm fairly confident that this has been discussed before, Tsukiko has been this way for the past 250 odd strips. :smalltongue:

She has a diff color eye in all comics,is mr. scrufy the same?i noticed he had a diff eye color in #698,are his eyes diff colors?
Mr. Scruffy's eyes are probably the same shade of yellow, but because one is smaller the black border obscures it.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-23, 12:32 PM
I think it was an artistic choice by the giant so that people would know Thann was under her control in this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0516.html).

Iranon
2010-01-23, 12:55 PM
Simple: Tsukiko = Christopher Walken in drag.

Lvl45DM!
2010-01-23, 01:06 PM
One is blue one is purple
purple is arcane blue divine

Allan Surgite
2010-01-23, 01:18 PM
Are you familiar with punctuation, Lvl45DM? I had to read your post two-three times before I could make out what you are saying.

But I would imagine that the primary purpose of her heterochromia would be to distinguish between her divine/arcane magic when it was being cast. But, of course, Rich could have given her character heterochromia before she was revealed as a Mystic Theurge.

My post didn't come out the way I intended it... I was aware that some people in real life have eyes of two different color, and I didn't mean to imply that the association estended to those people.
Oh no, I didn't meant to include yourself in my "psst" comment. It was very much a case of being "ninja'd," if you will; while heterochromia is a real-life medical condition, it is used a sign of "unnaturalness;" which, more often then not, is used as a sign of "madness," or what have you~ ;)

Asta Kask
2010-01-23, 01:18 PM
In the Bad Old Days, having differently colored eyes was a surefire sign you were a witch. And that seems appropriate, somehow.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-23, 01:38 PM
In the Bad Old Days, having differently colored eyes was a surefire sign you were a witch. And that seems appropriate, somehow.

Technically so was left handedness and red hair. My entire family would have been burned at the stake.

t3h l3g1t m4g3
2010-01-23, 03:54 PM
It's probably just the magic, as has been said before.

Starscream
2010-01-23, 04:11 PM
Simple: Tsukiko = Christopher Walken in drag.

Or possibly David Bowie.

LurkerInPlayground
2010-01-23, 04:14 PM
Her arcane magic color seems to be black, her divine magic color blue. Beyond that, I doubt it has more significance than Pompey's single ear denoting that he's a half-elf.
Wrong. They change colors at random.

Even when she's not spellcasting:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0517.html

Here, she switches between a divine and arcane spell without changing eye colors:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0518.html

In the last two panels, she does nothing but talk and they change colors:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0522.html

I think it was an artistic choice by the giant so that people would know Thann was under her control in this comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0516.html).
This sounds plausible.

To go out further on a limb, the different eye colors probably just suggests that Tsukiko has a warped view of reality. By enthralling people by magic, she's warping them to her perspective.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-23, 04:35 PM

Samantha eye's were both black. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0159.html)

Kish
2010-01-23, 04:57 PM

Even when she's not spellcasting:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0517.html

Here, she switches between a divine and arcane spell without changing eye colors:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0518.html

In the last two panels, she does nothing but talk and they change colors:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0522.html

You seem to be under the impression that I said her eyes change colors based on what magic she's using.

Her divine magic is blue, her arcane magic is black (or purple, but it looks black on my screen, and it's certainly not the same color as Vaarsuvius'). Your middle link shows this. The other two links...don't actually show anything about what I said. She has heterochrome eyes probably because she "does both," as the creature in the darkness put it, and she has heterochrome magic, too (by contrast to other spellcasters, like Vaarsuvius, who has only purple magic).

Keris
2010-01-23, 05:24 PM
I personally doubt this. While I'm certain that the Giant plans elements many strips in advance, suggesting that he chose to make a character an exception to his usual style of artwork just to use a specific effect almost a hundred strips later beggars belief. Besides, the Giant already has an established effect for mind affecting spells, the target gets swirly (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0183.html) eyes (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0383.html).

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-23, 07:14 PM
Yes, I think mos't people noticed this. By the way, who's Tsukkio? Is she related to Shinjo, Kabuto, and Hayley? :smalltongue:

Also, ther's only one thing I can think of right now... desu. :smallamused:

Lvl45DM!
2010-01-23, 07:24 PM
Besides if he wanted to show Thahn under her charm he just does the same thing he did with belkar (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0383.html) and use the colour of her magic without having two eye colours

Azukar
2010-01-23, 07:30 PM
Yes, I think mos't people noticed this. By the way, who's Tsukkio? Is she related to Shinjo, Kabuto, and Hayley? :smalltongue:

Also, ther's only one thing I can think of right now... desu. :smallamused:

Who is this "Kabuto" of whom you speak? Seems to me most of the soldiers in the Azure City army wore kabuto... :smalltongue:

Silencer
2010-01-23, 07:34 PM
She ate half a jar of the spice from the "Dune" spoof episode when she was a kid.

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-23, 07:49 PM
Who is this "Kabuto" of whom you speak? Seems to me most of the soldiers in the Azure City army wore kabuto... :smalltongue:

Yeas they did. I'm speaking of Kubota, who's namecan be easily confused with Kabuto.

So, that mean's three different usages of Kabuto then.

Harr
2010-01-23, 08:16 PM
(by contrast to other spellcasters, like Vaarsuvius, who has only purple magic).

V's magic is pink. It's Girard's magic that's purple; and yeah, Tsukiko's eyes are clearly blue and purple. Does seem to be an issue with your monitor.

Aside from that, I agree, Tsu's heterochromia simply symbolizes her mastery of both arcane and divine types of magic, and whether her eyes change color randomly, deliberately, or not at all, has exactly zero to do with that :smallsmile:

Lissou
2010-01-23, 11:41 PM

To my knowledge, you're the first person to mention their changing colours, nobody else was talking about that.

But you do raise an interesting point, in that it's not always the same eye that's blue and the same eye that's purple. That could very well be because of mirroring images at some point during the creation process: Tsukiko being asymmetrical, she can't be mirrored like most of the other characters.
(Similarly, many of the characters end up being ambidextrous if we're to judge by the fact that they seem to hold their weapons in one hand, then suddenly the other one, then the first one again.)

Until proven wrong, I'm going to assume her eyes don't change colours, that one is blue and one purple and that the Giant has accidentally used the wrong image, making her eyes seem to change colours.

Kumo
2010-01-24, 12:16 AM
V's magic is pink. It's Girard's magic that's purple; and yeah, Tsukiko's eyes are clearly blue and purple. Does seem to be an issue with your monitor.For a long, long time, i thought her other eye was black with a hint of blue. Then i thought navy blue. Then gray. Never once thought it was purple =/

Lvl45DM!
2010-01-24, 08:22 AM
its very clearly dark purple

Dr.Epic
2010-01-24, 08:28 AM
I personally doubt this. While I'm certain that the Giant plans elements many strips in advance, suggesting that he chose to make a character an exception to his usual style of artwork just to use a specific effect almost a hundred strips later beggars belief. Besides, the Giant already has an established effect for mind affecting spells, the target gets swirly (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0183.html) eyes (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0383.html).

Those were charm spells, not dominated person. Maybe the giant does different effects for them?:smallconfused:

Lvl45DM!
2010-01-24, 08:44 AM
same effect just stronger isnt it?

Keris
2010-01-24, 11:18 AM
Those were charm spells, not dominated person. Maybe the giant does different effects for them?:smallconfused:
While Charm Person is a Charm, Suggestion and Dominate Person are Compulsions. And they all share the Mind Affecting descriptor, which is why I said "mind effecting spells".

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-24, 12:41 PM
Clearly she is of 2 races. One has got to be.............. half-undead. That'd explain her fascination with them, as well as why people shunned her.

My source for this idea?
Spoiler alert for Final Fantasy X!
Yuna from FFX. She has green and blue eyes because she's half Al-Bhed, in essence the outcasts of the game.

Nimrod's Son
2010-01-25, 08:11 PM
There are a lot of monitors with dodgy colour-settings in this thread. To everyone saying that one of her eyes is "clearly purple": actually, both of her eyes are blue. One is light, one is dark. Darker than pretty much any other blue in the comic, sure, but by no means purple.

Some colour comparisons from the comic:
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/blues.gif
From left to right: Roy's armour, Xykon's robe, Tsukiko's left* eye.

*Usually, in any case.

Woodsman
2010-01-25, 08:14 PM
Clearly she is of 2 races. One has got to be.............. half-undead. That'd explain her fascination with them, as well as why people shunned her.

She explains her fascination with undead in the most recent comic (#700).

SaintRidley
2010-01-25, 08:21 PM
There are a lot of monitors with dodgy colour-settings in this thread. To everyone saying that one of her eyes is "clearly purple": actually, both of her eyes are blue. One is light, one is dark. Darker than pretty much any other blue in the comic, sure, but by no means purple.

From left to right: Kubota's hair, Xykon's robe, Tsukiko's left* eye.

*Usually, in any case.

Perhaps some of us are colour-blind and can't honestly tell you if something is blue or purple (despite being able to see shades, we cannot identify the actual colour) and simply guess?

I can honestly say I would never guess any of those three colours as blue.

Nimrod's Son
2010-01-25, 08:46 PM
I can honestly say I would never guess any of those three colours as blue.
Seriously? The first one is EXACTLY the same colour as Roy's armour, Hinjo's hair and O-Chul's beard (I only wrote "Kubota's hair" in my other post because that's where I took the sample from; I've since edited it). You mean to say you thought all those things were supposed to be purple, despite all the in-comic references to them being blue? :smallconfused:

BatRobin
2010-01-25, 08:46 PM
Yeas they did. I'm speaking of Kubota, who's namecan be easily confused with Kabuto.

So, that mean's three different usages of Kabuto then.

Don't forget the Pokemon Kabuto.

veti
2010-01-25, 09:21 PM
Technically so was left handedness and red hair. My entire family would have been burned at the stake.

And yet somehow they survived down all those centuries...

It's amazing how many people weren't burned as witches, really.

derfenrirwolv
2010-01-25, 09:22 PM
same effect just stronger isnt it?

When under a charm person spell, you're still you. You're in control of your body, your mind is 99% the same. The only thing that's different is that you trust the caster. The caster is one of your best friends. You have other best friends too, but the caster is either one of them or your bestest best friend. You'd risk your life to help him out of jail, stop people from hurting him. the charmed warrior is unlikely to run his wizard friend through with a greatsword, but knocking him on the head with a fist or tackling him so his new friend has the time to clear up a misunderstanding is more than reasonable.

What you won't do is betray your principles. The pacifist won't stab someone, the vegetarian won't eat the hamburger, and the paladin is not going to mow down the helpless villagers, and most folks are not going to commit suicide. If the charmer orders something like this, 1) the person doesn't do it 2) the spell might break.

Because the controll is relitively subtle, its rather hard to spot.

With dominate person, either you have no idea whats going on, or (worse) you're trapped inside your own head, watching yourself do whatever it is you're commanded to do... including betraying your principles, betraying your friends, or commiting whatever sick twisted acts the Dominator can think of. If asked to betray their own principles, they get a new save to break the spell.. but if they fail, they do it. You can command a paladin to kill women and children, an adventurer to cut his own throat, or a monster to walk off a cliff. Your body is their plaything.

The one disadvantage is that this is relitively easy to spot. SOmeone's obviously not acting themselves.

kpenguin
2010-01-25, 09:34 PM
and the paladin is not going to mow down the helpless villagers

I do hope this is said with irony in regard to OotS.

derfenrirwolv
2010-01-25, 09:36 PM
I do hope this is said with irony in regard to OotS.

and the paladin is not going to mow down the helpless [2 legged non pointy teeth type] villagers

Better?

SaintRidley
2010-01-25, 11:27 PM
Seriously? The first one is EXACTLY the same colour as Roy's armour, Hinjo's hair and O-Chul's beard (I only wrote "Kubota's hair" in my other post because that's where I took the sample from; I've since edited it). You mean to say you thought all those things were supposed to be purple, despite all the in-comic references to them being blue? :smallconfused:

I honestly did not know that all those things were the same colour. I couldn't have even told you that that was the same as Roy's armour, Hinjo's hair, or O-Chul's beard.

My the only way I even think of that colour as blue is seeing them on the Azurites, since they're all about blue.

Lvl45DM!
2010-01-27, 05:07 AM
When under a charm person spell, you're still you. You're in control of your body, your mind is 99% the same. The only thing that's different is that you trust the caster. The caster is one of your best friends. You have other best friends too, but the caster is either one of them or your bestest best friend. You'd risk your life to help him out of jail, stop people from hurting him. the charmed warrior is unlikely to run his wizard friend through with a greatsword, but knocking him on the head with a fist or tackling him so his new friend has the time to clear up a misunderstanding is more than reasonable.

What you won't do is betray your principles. The pacifist won't stab someone, the vegetarian won't eat the hamburger, and the paladin is not going to mow down the helpless villagers, and most folks are not going to commit suicide. If the charmer orders something like this, 1) the person doesn't do it 2) the spell might break.

Because the controll is relitively subtle, its rather hard to spot.

With dominate person, either you have no idea whats going on, or (worse) you're trapped inside your own head, watching yourself do whatever it is you're commanded to do... including betraying your principles, betraying your friends, or commiting whatever sick twisted acts the Dominator can think of. If asked to betray their own principles, they get a new save to break the spell.. but if they fail, they do it. You can command a paladin to kill women and children, an adventurer to cut his own throat, or a monster to walk off a cliff. Your body is their plaything.

The one disadvantage is that this is relitively easy to spot. SOmeone's obviously not acting themselves.

But...Thanh couldnt chop shojo in half when he was dommed? that was against his principles

Nimrod's Son
2010-01-27, 05:12 AM
But...Thanh couldnt chop shojo in half when he was dommed? that was against his principles
Haley says in the ninth panel of the second page of #524 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0524.html) that Thanh got a new saving throw. He must have succeeded.

Lvl45DM!
2010-01-27, 05:32 AM
Yesum but my point is if that domination pushes you to being an automaton why do you get a new saving throw when you have to do something you object to?

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-27, 08:46 AM
Yesum but my point is if that domination pushes you to being an automaton why do you get a new saving throw when you have to do something you object to?

No amount of magic can change something that's so engrained into you that you'd die for it. Protecting Shojo was Thanh's sole purpose in life, nothing short of Deific power could make him chop that old lunatic's head off.

Optimystik
2010-01-27, 08:51 AM
No amount of magic can change something that's so engrained into you that you'd die for it.

Actually, magic can do just that - Mindrape, Programmed Amnesia and Sanctify the Wicked (Evil, Neutral, and Good, respectively.)

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-27, 08:53 AM
Actually, magic can do just that - Mindrape, Programmed Amnesia and Sanctify the Wicked (Evil, Neutral, and Good, respectively.)

Yeah, but I choose to ignore those spells because they undermine my entire arguement.

Kulture
2010-01-27, 12:12 PM
Anyone noticed that the heterochromia is at the very least quite similiar to that caused by spice consumption in the Dune reference strips?

hihidude
2010-01-27, 02:10 PM
Amazing and beautiful!!!:smallwink:

Kish
2010-01-27, 03:30 PM
Because those are the rules.

Sometimes that's all the answer there is. Note that when the merely Charmed Belkar objected to giving his companions' magic items to Nale, he didn't need to make another saving throw--he just refused.

veti
2010-01-27, 04:25 PM

Because it's dramatic. It's a fiction cliche - the dominated victim wrenches back control of his own actions at the last moment to avoid disaster. C'mon, you must've seen it more times than you can count. And that cliche is enshrined in the rules of D&D.

The underlying theory (as I understand it) is that your consciousness is still in there, and it's somehow fighting for control with the invading influence. Given the extra incentive, it makes an extra effort.

Best guess is that this theory comes from real-life hypnosis - a hypnotist can get you to act like a duck or a duke, but not like a criminal - and that principle has been extended to other types of mind control that don't have any basis in reality.

Optimystik
2010-01-27, 04:26 PM
Yeah, but I choose to ignore those spells because they undermine my entire arguement.

You and my DM both. :smalltongue:

Anyone noticed that the heterochromia is at the very least quite similiar to that caused by spice consumption in the Dune reference strips?

Spice does not cause heterochromia - it makes both eyes glow the same color (blue.)

(The prefix hetero- = different.)

Larspcus2
2010-01-27, 11:30 PM

Well done sir.
:smallamused:

Mewtarthio
2010-01-28, 08:08 PM

Yes, but a dominated victim still has his own mind locked away beneath the enchanter's will, and he can still struggle against it at crucial points. Mindrape and programmed amnesia shatter the victim's mind completely and lets the caster rebuild it however he wishes (or just leave the victim a gibbering wreck, in the former case). Sanctify the wicked purges the victim's very soul.

Optimystik
2010-01-28, 09:54 PM
Yes, but a dominated victim still has his own mind locked away beneath the enchanter's will, and he can still struggle against it at crucial points. Mindrape and programmed amnesia shatter the victim's mind completely and lets the caster rebuild it however he wishes (or just leave the victim a gibbering wreck, in the former case). Sanctify the wicked purges the victim's very soul.

Um, I know all that. I was responding to Kobold-bard's quote, not 45DM's.

No amount of magic can change something that's so engrained into you that you'd die for it.

Notice how he does not restrict his statement to "domination."

salinan
2010-01-28, 10:13 PM
Notice how he does not restrict his statement to "domination."
To be fair, you're no longer 'you' under the spells you mentioned. Kobold-Bard isn't totally incorrect in his statement.

Lvl45DM!
2010-01-28, 11:01 PM
To be fair, you're no longer 'you' under the spells you mentioned. Kobold-Bard isn't totally incorrect in his statement.

Thats the worst kind of semantics. Its also wrong. Your soul is still there and in D+D thats what counts. If you get mindraped sanctified or amnesiaed and die the same soul goes to the afterlife.

Sutremaine
2010-02-01, 11:26 AM
From left to right: Roy's armour, Xykon's robe, Tsukiko's left eye.
That last one is 42R 52G 92B according to Csamp, and here's where it falls on a colour chart.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/363/colours.png

It's objectively a dark grey-blue, but I'd describe it as dark purply-blue anyway, even if I turn my monitor brightness to full.

Asta Kask
2010-02-01, 11:53 AM
Color perception is influenced by the visual context. Our eyes are not pure wavelength meters - that's why there are blue, yellow, orange, and red stars but no green stars.