PDA

View Full Version : Eberron: The Forgotten Forge IC

LeoMidori
2010-01-23, 02:25 PM
998 Y.K. -12th, Dravago, Sar, 18:30-

Curtains of water fall from the sky as you traverse the labyrinthine walkways of Sharn. Refuge for those such as yourselves can be hard without good coin and reputaion in this part of the Upper City, a tavern keeper laughing at you as you seriously asked for job postings, wondering why your party wasn't dressed finely enough, and soaking wet. The stone and wooden pathways wind around and between the towers and spires high above the ground, forming a complex latticework that can be very confusing on evenings such as this. The rain falls hard, running off the higher walkways and balconies in drenching waves, making it difficult to see much more then a few feet ahead of you. The distant glow of bluish white everbright lanturns, barely visable in the soaking gloom, does little to light the paths on yet another warm, wet evening.

Ahead of you shortly in the distance, something moves mysteriously!

Zerkai
2010-01-23, 03:34 PM
Lam

A faint figure wandered the winding walkways wistfully, wearing charcoal colored cloth, covered by cloak of comparable color. The small silhouette stood small-scale at five feet, features hidden by her hood.

The small hooded figure continued to walk along the twisting walkways in a dejected manner, the bottom half of her face covered by a scarf wrapped around like a mask. She continued to walk in silence 'til something was seen through the sky's soaked shroud. She drew her sickle from it's sheath as she peered carefully at the movement, doubting she'd be able to hit anything with her bow in this stormy scene.

Spot check: [roll0]

KnightOfV
2010-01-23, 03:50 PM
Mirzam

I never realized the city could be such a rough place.
Mirzam shudders from the chill of the rain as he wanders across the high walkways. He had left his home weeks ago with plenty of coin and high hopes that adventures would be around every corner and life would feel fun and challenging again. At first his wanderings were as exciting as he could hope. He spent coin with abandon buying fine drinks, fine rooms, fine... company. But his cash supply was nearing an end as he had gambled and spent it all away, and the rain in the darkened sky matched his current mood. His fancy clothing was drenched, and he could have counted the number of gold pieces that clinked in his pocket with one hand. I can't go back yet, my family will think me a fool! I must find some way to prove myself- I can't crawl back broke and destitute like a worthless commoner! I would not be able to live that humiliation down for decades!

Sighing, the elf ducks under a small alcove and adjusts his soggy hat and pushes long, wet silver hair from his eyes. He checks his pack to make sure no water is leaking on on his bow or spellbook, his two most prized possessions, and squints out into the gloom as he tries to decide where he will have to rest tonight.

[roll0]

Mirzam's soggy hat slides down over his eyes plunging the entire street into darkness.

Allomancer
2010-01-23, 05:44 PM
Gear

The only member of the group that seems completey unimpeded by the rain stands taller and broader than the rest as well. The warforged's eyes glow orange, like that of a strong and steady flame.

When one of the others struggles, the warforged reaches out a hand to steady them.

"Once more, I appreciate your allowing me to join you in attempting to find adventure and excitement," he intones in a deep resounding baritone that seems unaffected by the weather. "While I appreciate the temples of Onatar allowing me to stay, craft and sell wares, I would much rather be out learning more of the world first-hand." Gear looks down at the wooden symbol of Onatar hanging around his neck and fingers it idly in his two-fingers-and-a-thumb hand as the group walks.

Kumo
2010-01-25, 07:18 AM
((Half-assed, but i'm sleepy and need to pack for school))

Akoro

Akoro slowly awoke with a pounding headache that throbbed like a heartbeat. He groaned and reached up to grip his head with one armored hand. He felt like he'd had his skull shattered into a thousand pieces, then had it reassembled by a half blind six year old with no idea what a human head was supposed to be like.

He pulled himself off of the ground, mumbling to himself as he tried to recall what had happened. There were some bloodstains on his armor, and he was having trouble focusing his eyes, and his thoughts, for that matter. He rubbed his eyes, and as his vision cleared, he saw he was in an alleyway, blood all around him. He stumbled out of the alley, occasionally using the wall for support. The sword on his hip seemed to weigh heavily on his mind.

He couldn't recall the time, nor his current location, nor even what had happened in the last ten minutes. All he did remember was a name he assumed was his own: Akoro.

d13
2010-01-25, 07:59 AM
Kieri

Using his spear as a walking cane, the old shifter walked alongside the group, unmolested by the water, regarding it as a blessing from the moons, and allowing it to cleanse his body.
His leather armor and long hair soaked with the falling rain, he still was weary of the group that accepted him as a companion, and of the city itself.

"I appreciate your company, as well. I've been physically alone long enough."

Looking at the crying clouds, Kieri takes a deep breath, smiles, and keeps walking.

[roll0]

LeoMidori
2010-01-25, 08:09 PM
The skybridge ahead spans the distance between platforms attached to the sides of two different towers- Dalannan Tower and Kelsa Spire. A body lies on the floor of the bridge, and you can see a mixture of rain and blood pooling around it. A leather satchel, still clutched tightly in the body's hand, lies in the expanding puddle of water and gore- yet another unfortnate who's been killed in the City of Towers.

d13
2010-01-25, 08:25 PM
Kieri

Rushing to the place, not waiting for the others, Kieri crouches at the body on the floor, checking for vitals, and speaks to whoever makes their way there first.

"Someone or something was here not long ago. And is certainly guilty of this crime.
May the soul of this poor man rest in peace now. Be alert."

[roll0]
[roll1]
Looking for nothing in particular. Just to be aware of the surroundings

LeoMidori
2010-01-25, 08:43 PM
d13: Other then the falling rain and the dull sounds of the city in the distance, nothing appears out of the ordinary other then the body in front of you.

Everyone: It appears he's died of blade wounds only a few moments ago. He's a human, finely dressed and facing upwards towards the sky, eyes closed peacefully and mouth open. He's holding a satchel of some sort.

KnightOfV
2010-01-25, 10:47 PM
Mirzam

The elf struggles with his hat for a moment biting back curses. When it's finally straight Mirzam waders back into the street, but in his gloomy state his mind is going everywhere except for his immediate surroundings. He aimlessly travels up a tower and crosses the skybridge thinking about how life outside his social circle was really not so very exciting after all and he might as well resign himself to a life of cantrips and tiny appetizers on a platter. In his distracted state, he does not notice -in fact he almost trips over- an elderly shifter bent over a humanoid on the bridge. "Apologies sir, I was wondering while wandering and did not percieve..." he trails off as he looks down and sees the blood mixing with the rain on the body. He yells out one of the harshest curses known in elven, and backs away from the body feeling sick. "Blood!! Wh- what happened here?!" His wide eyes are transfixed on the body and he raises a hand in a strange position as if preparing to make a sign in the air.

d13
2010-01-25, 11:08 PM
Kieri

"Tsk... It's always the same with you all, city dwellers. Always creating new lights and magic and technologies and whatnot, but you forget how to see and how to listen to the world around you.
Another being was here, not a very long time ago. I saw it moving in the distance, but it was just a shade, evading your lights, and I couldn't see better than that."

Zerkai
2010-01-26, 07:07 AM
The small black clothed figure glanced up at the warforged "There's slight increase in safety with larger numbers." she finally spoke up as they walked together. She came to a halt though as they happened upon the body, glancing around "I though I had seen something in the rain as well..." She carefully walked up to the body now that Kieri had, kneeling down as well next to the body. She took the satchel, starting to search the body for anything that might be important, and.. well, he wouldn't be using anything else he had, but frowning behind the mask "Doesn't add up... doesn't add up... kill a man, why leave his belongings... maybe we arrived before he could? Interrupted him?" She suggested as she searched

LeoMidori
2010-01-26, 07:40 AM
Suddenly, as if on cue to Lam pulling the satchel from the dead man's grip, the chance investigation team gets interrupted by an axe carrying Karnathi warforged! She swings clumsily towards the changeling and misses her entirely by a good foot or so with her swing. She screams to Lem, who's clutching the package. "Weak-flesh! That package belong to the Lord of Blades!" she says pointing with her free hand, features darkened by another flash of lightning from the distance, the thunder not heard for several seconds later.

Zerkai
2010-01-26, 08:29 AM
"<Elven expletive>! I knew it!" She kept the satchel, pocketing it as she dropped her sickle, backpedaling as quickly as she could while she drew her bow, wanting to keep as much distance between the hostile warforged and her as she could

Not sure if I should roll attack or take an action until everyone's rolled initiative.

Initiative: [roll0]

d13
2010-01-26, 09:22 AM
Kieri Sarale Moonwhisper (Yeah, full name and everything!)

Jumping back with an incredible agility for a person his age (You know... Shifter), Kieri growled at the newcomer, his legs and left arm on the ground, ready to charge; while his right hand now firmly held his longspear, ready to thrust the forged if he got in range.

"Why kill the man? He was no threat to you! Now, it's your time to die."

Kieri is standing 15' away from the Forged, now.

KnightOfV
2010-01-26, 12:55 PM
Mirzam

Seeing a legendary warforge, a machine made for death suddenly there in front of him is terrifying, but Mirzam manages to keep his elven poise and cool exterior. "Aaaaaaahhh!!" Well, mostly.

Thankfully, decades of practice allows the elf to purely on instinct make the hand motion and speak the arcane word needed to focus his mind for pulling at the weaves of magic he had woven days ago and release his spell. A bolt of energy streaks from his hand, dodging unerringly, but erratically around the others directly towards the axe wielding warforged. The trace of energy briefly lights up the street and leaves a faint afterimage in the rain, but Mirzam pays no mind to it scrambling back away from the assailant.

[roll0]
[roll1]
Move as far back from the warforged as possible while staying on the bridge.

Allomancer
2010-01-26, 04:34 PM
Gear

Quick hands withdraw a sickle from the weapon harness around tge artificer's waist. "The who? King Boranel of Breland rules here! Your lord has now power to command anyone on this sovereign soil!" he bellows loudly at the newcomer as he takes a defensive stance beside his small companion. Gear's eyes seem to flare for just a moment as he speaks and his voice rings through the storm.

[roll0]

Zerkai
2010-01-29, 02:00 AM
Lam

"I doubt it's gonna answer any of our questions while it tries to slice us in two!" The changeling shouted as she pulled an arrow from her quiver, pulling it back on her bow and letting it fly at the enemy warforged.

Attack: [roll0]
Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

LeoMidori
2010-01-29, 02:53 AM
Immediately after swinging her axe down and missing, Gear steps into place of Lam, throwing a swing of his weapon towards the warforged assasin and hitting, but not quite hard enough to harm her mithral form, much like his. However, a well placed shot from Lam's bow hits her in the shoulder, followed closely by a glowing magic missle from the surprised Grey Elf, causing some of her body to smolder. She gets angry, the inside of her mouth and her eyes hitting the air like a green fire, swinging her axe towards Gear and screaming at him. "Flesh loving TRAITOR! YOU DIE FIRST!!!"

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

d13
2010-01-29, 09:20 AM
Kieri

Using his hand as a third foot, Kieri bolts forward, trying to open a hole in the newcomer with his spear.

"No. No one dies today but you"

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

AC for this round is... 11. Ouch.

Allomancer
2010-01-29, 12:29 PM
Gear

Praise Onatar that swing was off! Gear thinks to himself as he retaliates with his own sickle once more. "Though you are clearly misguided, I do not wish your death either! I saw too much of that during the Last War, but I will not stand and be murdered nor allow you to harm my companions!"

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Zerkai
2010-01-29, 05:47 PM
Lam

Lam grinned under her mask as her arrow struck, quickly drawing another one, moving closer for a more accurate shot. the danger of the situation sent a shiver of excitement down her spine. She keept quiet as she let loose another arrow at the enemy.

Moved withing 30 ft of the warforged to take advantage of Point Blank Shot feat.

Attack - [roll]1d20+4[roll]
CritConfirm - [roll]1d20+4[roll]
Damage - [roll]1d6+1[roll]

Edit: Damn, forgot the / at the end...

KnightOfV
2010-01-29, 07:19 PM
Mirzam

The elf can't take his eyes away from the sight of two warforged locked in combat in the middle of the bridge and can't help but feel glad that he had only read about the Last War and the countless warforged killers that roamed the battlefield. Any one of those strikes could have near chopped me in half!

Mirzam knew the smart thing would be turning around and running, but now that the initial shock was over and he was standing there alone in the rain he realized that as brutal as the fight was, it was fascinating!! Could he defeat a creature like that if it had come after him with naught but his humble magics? Could he stand tall with these other 'warriors?' Looked like it was time for a test...

Mirzam pulls a piece of wool from his pocket and focuses a prepared weave onto his component. He takes a deep breath, steps forward, stares hard at the axe-wielder and releases the wool, magical energy consuming it in mid-air. He seizes the energy and weaves it around the (enemy) warforged's mind. "Be still!" he commands.

Daze (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/daze.htm)
DC 14 will save or can take no actions for one round. Mirzam is 25 ft away to cast.

LeoMidori
2010-01-29, 08:50 PM
A gust of wind swoops across the bridge turned to battlefield, the warforged zealot somehow managing to miraculously dodge attacks from all sides, a spear and sickle not piercing and Lam's arrow shooting too far to the side. She laughs, about to drive her axe using both hands into Gear's abdominal area, her eyes and mouth still gushing with green hatred before Mizram causes her to halt, then slowly lower her weapon and looking straight forwards, energy slowing to a crawl from her... a short distance away, you hear a woman speak. "Somebody, call the watch!"

Zerkai
2010-01-29, 11:20 PM
Lam

The changeling muttered another foreign curse as the wind blew harshly, causing her hood to fall back as she drew a third arrow, praying that the next shot would hit, thankful for the Elf's spell having some effect on the metal beast.

Attack - [roll0]
CritConfirm - [roll1]
Damage - [roll2]

d13
2010-01-30, 01:10 AM
Kieri

Clearly, I am not as young as I was before...

Without a second thought, Kieri attacks once again with his spear.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

LeoMidori
2010-01-30, 01:20 AM
A well placed arrow and spear to the dazed warforged brought her to the street, a small orb with wings extending and exiting her body, flying off somewhere between the rain soaked towers. You're left in the street with a dead man and a disabled construct, both collecting water quickly while on the curb. In the distance, you can hear whistles blowing from the city watch, and although they aren't close yet it seems they're approaching by the moment.

KnightOfV
2010-01-30, 01:40 AM
Mirzam

"That was... interesting. Truly interesting." The magician seems to have forgotten the rain entirely and is staring up at where the orb flew off. Remembering himself, he bows to the others as if they were in a king's audience room. "Well done everyone. You must let me share a few drinks with you in a warm tavern someplace and tell the story of who you are and what that was all about."

Zerkai
2010-01-30, 07:01 AM
Lam

Lam let out a sigh of relief and just a little disappointment as the enemy warforged went down, running back to the dead body to pick up the sickle she had dropped at the start of the battle. "City guard coming, not good. Incriminating position, we're foreigners, possibility of conviction increased significantly if victim is well known and from here... " She explained quickly, standing up straight and facing the others

"Introductions to the city guard are best not made at a crime scene. Those drinks and that warm tavern sound good."

d13
2010-01-30, 01:42 PM
Kieri

"I believe several people saw what happened here. We are not exactly in a hidden place.
I would rather try to explain this, than to look like an escaping murderer."

Kieri steps away from the incapacitated 'forged and the dead body, and leans on his spear, waiting for the watch.

"At any rate, someone should make sure that it doesn't move ever again."

KnightOfV
2010-01-30, 11:23 PM
Mirzam

'Incriminating position...' 'look like an escaping murderer...' The words echo in his mind. The grey elf puts his best smile on and pretends to wait casually, but he seems to twitch and keeps absently brushing wet hair from his eyes. He looks decidedly uncomfortable and wet standing out in the rain with the three armed strangers and the dead body.

LeoMidori
2010-01-31, 12:50 AM
Two males and a female, wearing the green-and-black studded leather of Sharn's city watch, emerge from the rain-drenched night. The leader, a powerfully build dwarf with a close-cropped beard, steps forwards, leveling his crossbow in your direction. The small ball of arcane light, hovering just above and behind his left shoulder, illuminates the area. To each side, a human male and female stand with halfberds at the ready. "Ollandra's bloody nose!" the dwarf curses. "By order of the Watch, drop your weapons and explain yourselves!"

d13
2010-01-31, 10:33 PM
Kieri

Handling the spear to the recently arrived, Kieri takes a step forward.

"Good evening, sirs and lady. I am Kieri Sarale Moonwhisper, the last survivor of the Moonwhisper Clan wipe, as far as I know. As the Moonwhisper customs demand, I will answer your questions truthfully.

I was walking, with the rest of my impromptu companions, as our way was the same as each other. We were over there." Kieri gestures to the place they were initially.
"While thanking the Moons for their blessing and the cleansing water they were giving us, I saw a dark figure walking strangely. As if it was trying to avoid the magic lights you got here.
We hurried here, but it was already gone. When we got here, this man was dead, in this exact position; and while we were investigating what happened, the machine attacked us.
It seemed rather fixated on our warforged companion, and kept screaming things about some Lord of Blades. A metallic bird de-attached from it's body and flew away when we incapacitated him".

Any careful listener would be able to appreciate that Kieri is not comfortable talking to strangers. He/She would also notice that though Kieri refers to the attacker as a 'machine', he tries to make a clear distinction between that, and his warforged companion.

Zerkai
2010-02-01, 03:33 AM
Lam

Lam sighed as she had to drop her sickle again when she guards arrived, facing them now. The rogue was a little nervous, her hood having been blown off. If her hood had been still up and hiding most of her face she would have altered her appearance. One changeling, plus all black clothing and standing next to a corpse with weapon drawn equaled not good to her.

The Rogue was a little grateful that the shifter started explaining to the city watch, pulling her hood back up as she listened to him talk, grateful a second time that he chose not to mention the satchel that she took from the body. She wanted to get to the bottom of this instead of just handing it over to the watch

KnightOfV
2010-02-01, 02:52 PM
Mizram

The wet elf deliberately holds his hands in front of him so the others can see he holds no weapon and to show off his signet ring. He addresses the dwarf, "It is exactly as the Shifter said, Sargent. I was just passing through when I came across the struggle of these three against a bloodthirsty attacker. I thought it my, er... civic duty to assist in any way I could. I am but a humble and respected member of House Phiarlan's Artisans and Entertainers Guild. Mizram, the Magnificent I am sometimes called. Perhaps you have heard of me?" He adds, looking hopeful.

Allomancer
2010-02-01, 03:17 PM
Gear

The warforged drops his sickle instantly, with no hesitation. He steps forward and salutes crisply. "I am Gear, formerly of His Majesty's Army, presently a smith at various temples to Onatar within the city. Everything is as has been described."

LeoMidori
2010-02-01, 09:24 PM
"So the Warforged killed him? And belonged to the Lord of Blades? Well... I've heard worse excuses..." he says, his voice hit with a bit of sarcasm. He lowered his crossbow, the other two guards taking their halbards back upright as they start to look over the scene. "A likely story perhaps, but what's saying that the warforged wasn't accompanying this man as a bodyguard? What do you have to say to that, hmmm?" he asks with great suspicion.

A few moments later, you hear voices from the towers and a resident step outside her home. "It's true!" the modestly well dressed woman replies. "I saw the whole thing, Watchman. The man was dead a few seconds before these four arrived, and then the warforged with the axe attacked them." Several more people speak up with similar words, backing your story. Seems the citizens of Upper Dura aren't so bad!

"Very well... thank you for co-operating with us. You're all free to go, but please leave such matters to the Watch next time. In the meantime, if you're ever in some sort of jam, don't be afraid to call on Sergeant Dolom." he says, pointing to himself with his thumb. With a nod to the female to his left, she starts to check over the bodies, and they seem to be caught up carrying on in their business.

Not but a few moments later, a hooded figure taps one of you on the shoulder, showing you a signet ring of House Cannith on it, unable to make out his face with it pulled tightly to keep out the rain. "If you wish to learn the truth of Bonal Geldem's murder, go to the Broken Anvil tavern at dawn." he says, nodding and dissapearing into the night, before you get to say anything to him.

d13
2010-02-01, 09:38 PM
Kieri

Kieri sighs in relief as the watchmen (lol?) return to their duties, and takes the spear back.

"Thank you for everything, Sergeant."

Seeing a dark figure tapping the elf in the shoulder, and whispering something in his ear before disappearing, Kieri addresses Mizram clearly surprised.

You know him? What did he say?

OOC: Being the first one to post IC after the dark figure appeared, I made Mizram be the one communicated, Dragonmarked Houses and all that stuff :smalltongue:. If you don't like it... You should have posted earlier :smallbiggrin:.

KnightOfV
2010-02-02, 01:32 AM
Mizram the Magnificent

"I know him about as well as I know you... which is not much, I'm afraid. All I know of him is he is from House Cannith. He said to meet at the Broken Anvil Tavern at dawn for answers to the murder. I for one am intrigued and plan to do so. Why not, after all?"

The elf sighs, staring down the street. "I wonder if I can find an inn with a nice fireplace for under a gold. If elves were meant to get this wet, we would have come up with a spell for growing gills. I... don't suppose any of you know of a good place to stay?"

Did not see Lam pick up the package, so he can't comment on that. At the moment assume if someone goes to find an inn he will follow along.

Allomancer
2010-02-02, 09:38 AM
Gear

Saluting once more, Gear nods to the dwarf. "Thank you, Sergeant!" He bends down and picks up his sickle, replacing it on his belt before turning to the elf. "I have never stayed in an inn. Most do not like my kind, so I have avoided them. I usually alternate between temples of Onatar here in Sharn where I work for my stay and praise the Sovereign of Fire and Forge through my craft." He taps his pack which looks to have many tools within it. "I will go where my companions lead and hope that Onatar will guide us."

d13
2010-02-02, 09:53 AM
Kieri

"Well... I've been living in the nearby forest for the last couple of years, so I'm not much of a city dweller...
Still... I believe one of you said something about a warm inn and sharing a couple of drinks?"

Zerkai
2010-02-02, 12:19 PM
Lam

"Well... that was unexpected." The changeling remarked as she knelt down and picked up her sickle again and putting it away, surprised that citizens came to the defense of complete strangers. Well, she can't complain... yet.

"Broken Anvil Tavern? Well, we're in this together now, so I say we go. There's no telling what information that metal-bird-thing sent back... whoever behind this might no who we are, so I suggest we all stay at the same in... and drinks sound good." she added, taking a look around. It was doubtful she could navigate the city well enough to find a nearby Inn

KnightOfV
2010-02-02, 03:37 PM
Mizram

"We shall see if we can find this place then, and hope they have good rooms," since no one else is familiar with Sharn, the gray elf will lead asking directions if he does not know the location.

LeoMidori
2010-02-02, 05:20 PM
With your knowledge of the area, you thankfully find the Inn not far from you, located in the Mason's Tower in the same area of Sharn. It's a small Inn run by House Ghallanda. At this time of night, many patrons have either retired to their rooms, or have tired of drink for the night and otherwise headed home. Other then a small group of quiet, (although inebriated) customers, the halfling patron is the only one in the room. She smiles to you. "Welcome to the Broken Anvil! Please, you all look drenched. What can I do for you this evening?" she asks with a cheerful, but tired smile on her face.

d13
2010-02-02, 05:54 PM
Kieri

Returning a tired look to the halfling's smile, Kieri leans on his spear.

"Just some water, and whatever you have eatable would do for me, thank you".

KnightOfV
2010-02-02, 11:18 PM
Mizram

With a wave of his hand and a word "Presto" Mizram's wet clothing begins to clean itself. Dirt and water alike fades from the fine garments starting with the top hat and working down to the jacket and pants. After a minute, not even his shoes leave wet footprints.

"I'd like a glass of elven wine, and some warm bread at the very least, with rooms for myself and the three with me." Once he receives a drink he continues to use the easy spell weave to change the color of the wine to bright blue then back, and even slowly lift the glass off the table.

If anyone seems impressed by the theatrics, he will change the color of their drinks, the taste of their food, and even rewarm their meal chatting sociably with the crowd the whole time.

Every wizard's favorite: Prestidigitate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prestidigitation.htm)

Zerkai
2010-02-02, 11:23 PM
Lam

On the way to the Broken Anvil, and with most of her face hidden again, she decided to use her minor change shape ability to change her appearance. Her clothing all turned a shade of dark red as she took the appearance of a fair-skinned human with black hair and green eyes before they entered the tavern. Comfortable, she pulling down her scarf and hood before speaking to the halfing.

"Yes... it's late, but anything you have to eat would be good... and a pint of ale." she added as her eyes scanned the bar curiously, before walking over to an empty table, taking off her backpack and placing it behind her chair, and her traveling cloak undone as she laid it over the chair before she sat down, watching the Elf's magic tricks as she waited

LeoMidori
2010-02-02, 11:32 PM
After only a few minutes, the patron gets an assistant to serve up ale, wine, water, bread and yellow cheese, and some roasted potatoes served with spicy tomato sauce. With that, you're otherwise left to eat your meal in peace, given an iron key with a room number "108" printed on it in block letters. After some time, the table of drinkers leave, paying and staggering off into the night clumsily.

d13
2010-02-02, 11:43 PM
Kieri

Kieri walks to the table using his spear as a walking cane, and mutters a prayer before trying the food.

"Mm... Overcooked, as everything you city-dwellers eat... But not half-bad."

He smiles, his slightly pointed teeth peeping between his lips.

"Well... If we are answering to this letter, and might actually get a job out of it, I hope you do not mind if I ask... Who are you, people? How did you end up in this situation?"

Zerkai
2010-02-03, 12:31 AM
Lam

"My name's Lam..." She answered after a sip of ale, turning to look at the shifter. "As you can all tell, I'm a changeling. I've been traveling for almost a year, looking for adventures, excitement, and the like." She pulled out the satchel she had taken off the corpse, setting it on the table while she took a bite from the hunk of bread

"I've only just arrived here a few days ago, almost had my head chopped off... gotta say this place is pretty exciting, weather's bad though."

LeoMidori
2010-02-03, 01:56 AM
Inside of the well made and stylish leather satchel, you find a number of interesting little items: several quills and a fine inkpen, six sheets of high quality Karrnathi paper, a fresh green apple wrapped in wax paper, and a leather bound journal, it sewn with silver thread on the cover. The design is alot like an anvil and hammer.

KnightOfV
2010-02-03, 09:50 AM
Mizram

"Fascinating! I've never met a changling before... but then again how would I know?" He chuckles at his own joke. "It sounds as if we are kindred spirits though, I am here for much the same reason she is. This is a... holiday for me, if you will. This group seems to attract excitement, as often as I've prepared my magical weaves, I have never actually had to use spells to defend myself before," A smile lights up his young elven face as he sips his wine.

"What's that you have there?" Mizram asks looking at the journal.

d13
2010-02-03, 11:18 AM
Kieri

"You youngsters always filled with energy. I say I've had my share of adventure for this life... I am just here looking for any Moonwhisper Clan survivor that may have escaped the onslaught..."

Kieri looks lost in thought while he pulls back the chair and stands up.

"If you all excuse me, I am going to get some rest.
If any of you is still awake at dawn, please wake me up. If not, remember to tell the lady that we need to be awake at that time."

Allomancer
2010-02-03, 02:35 PM
Gear

"As I have stated, I am called Gear. I am an artificer, originally created for his majesty's military some four years ago as support for warforged units before reassignment to a regular outfit. With the end of the Last War, I was freed to do as I wished. I wandered for some time before coming to Sharn and serving as a freelance smith at the various temples to Onatar within the city."

Gear nods his head at the shifter. "Of course, Kieri. As I have no need of sleep, I shall keep watch and awaken everyone at the appropriate time." The artificer tilts his head in Lam's direction and looks at the satchel and its contents. "Perhaps I could look over the items recovered while the rest sleep?"

@Leo:Does the symbol on the cover look familiar?
I'll roll my only Knowledge skill: [roll0].

Zerkai
2010-02-03, 04:21 PM
Lam

"I snatched this from the body when I searched him." The rogue said, picking up the journal and looking it over curiously, placing her han on the cover before opening it to the first page.

"This is what it was after... said it belonged to the 'Lord of Blades', tried to hack me into pieces the moment I picked it up." She glanced at Kieri and Gear "I doubt I'll be getting any sleep... who knows what that metal thing that flew off was."

She pondered the metal bird that detached from the warforged, a nervous look in her eyes "Damn, there's a chance whoever's behind this knows I took it."

KnightOfV
2010-02-03, 09:17 PM
Mizram

"It sounds like we all have a new enemy... but several new companions. All in one evening, how fast things change on the streets! If you will forgive me, I think I will retire early. I cannot reclaim the weaves I lost today without emptying my mind of mundane concerns and chit-chat... A pleasant evening to you all."

The elf waves a farewell and heads to the room.

LeoMidori
2010-02-03, 09:49 PM
As Lam opens the journal, she notices that it's completely blank: every single page shows nothing! Strange considering the scholarly look of the murdered man, and the ammount of pens and paper you found alongside the journal.

Gear's vast knowledge of magical items causes him to remember the metal bird is known as a 'Final Messenger', an attached component into a warforged chest that detatches when the construct is knocked inert or destroyed. Whoever it flew off to, now knows you took her down in battle.

Zerkai
2010-02-04, 09:56 PM
Lam

"How can they sleep at a time like this?" She sighed, watching the rest of the group save for herself and Gear turn in, before turning to look down at the book. "... Blank?" She blinked, flipping through the pages of the journal with a puzzled expression. "That can't be right... there has to be something here."

The rogue looked among the other objects from the satchel, picking up the ink-pen turning the journal to the first page again, attempting to scribble on the blank page.

LeoMidori
2010-02-04, 11:47 PM
Remarkably, the ink will not write on the pages, seeming to completely slip away into the air each time she tries to scribble or stroke!

Allomancer
2010-02-05, 09:10 AM
Gear

The warforged nods agreement. "Indeed. With a mystery before us I would not sleep if it were necessary."

When the ink fails to take on the page, Gear leans closer to the book. "May I see it for a moment?" he inquires holding out a large two-fingers-and-a-thumb-hand.

Zerkai
2010-02-05, 05:10 PM
Lam

The changeling frowned as the ink disappeared from the pages "Ah... so it's magic I think. You can take a look at it." She nodded back to Gear, handing the journal over to him before folding her arms, leaning back in her chair as she thought.

"Maybe only certain people can write stuff in it... or maybe the ink turns invisible and we just don't know the magic words?... Or maybe it's the inkpen..." she brainstormed, looking the writing implement over in her hands now

Allomancer
2010-02-08, 05:13 PM
Gear

After a full minute of staring at the book, the warforged shakes his head negatively. "I cannot tell whether the book has a magical aura or not, let alone what type of enchantment it would be if so." A rumbling sound issues from the warforged as he continues to shake his head. "Frustrating. What does the symbol on the cover signify, do you suppose?"

LeoMidori
2010-02-08, 08:49 PM
After taking a bit of time to get to know each other better and examine the mysterious diary, you decide to get some rest. Rain patters lightly on the window of your room, and the occasional bolt of thunder is heard in the distance, but otherwise the night is quite peaceful.

998 Y.K. -13th, Dravago, Mol, 06:00

Dawn. The female halfling who let you stay the night waves to Gear and smiles lightly at him. "Good morning. Lady Elaydren d.Vown is looking for you and your party? She's awaiting you in the common room." With that, she returns to her duties around the tavern.

After a few minutes of getting ready and dressed, you meet with your contact. The human female in the dark blue cloak has delicate features, dark blue eyes, and sleek black hair bound with silver and turquoise ornaments. She wears a signet ring of House Cannith on her right ring finger and speaks in a soft but clear voice. "Thank you for coming. We have important business to discuss that relates to the unfortunate death of Bonal Geldem. Please, sit down."

She motions towards a number of glasses, a pitcher of each of ale, wine, and water. "I have been working with Provost Geldem to recover a family heirloom," Lady Elaydren explains. "We were to meet early last night, but as you know, he never made it. I learned from the Watch what had transpired, and so sent one of my men to track you down."
She continues. "The heirloom, according to family legends, was locked away in a foundary that dates back to pre-Galifar Sharn. Poor Bonal believed he discovered the location of the foundary in an ancient House Cannith journal. I was going to fund an expedition to go to the site, but without Bonal..." Her voice trails off. Then she leans in close, smiling to you.
"Perhaps you would be willing to recover the heirloom for me. For a generous reward, of course. Can I see the journal?"

KnightOfV
2010-02-08, 10:25 PM
Mizram

Languidly sipping the wine, the elf's attention seems divided between the speaker and a large hardcover book covered in arcane symbols he had brought with him. After four hours of the dreamless trance of the elves, Mizram had gotten up to listen to the rain and study his magical tome by candlelight, and had not pulled eyes from the pages since. At the Lady's words however, he closes the book and looks up.

"I normally do not work on commission... but this sounds intriguing enough that I would be happy to assist you, Lady Elaydren. I know that house Cannith has the gold, and the reputation, to back up any promise of a reward in full... though I would still like to know exactly how much we are talking about."

LeoMidori
2010-02-08, 10:31 PM
The lady pulls a small sack of gold coins out and lies it on the table. "Here is 100 up front. You'll recieve the rest of the 1000 as soon as you return what I need... but I'll need to see the journal first. It's the key to our success."

Allomancer
2010-02-10, 10:36 AM
Gear

The warforged holds out the journal as it had not left his hand while the group slept. "I believe there is an enchantment on the book which protects it from being read or written upon."

Zerkai
2010-02-11, 12:33 AM
Lam

Lam took a seat at the table, arms folded and not accepting any drink, not looking pleased "And who is 'The Lord of Blades'? Will we be encountering more warforged that want to kill us?" She asked suspiciously.

The rogue wasn't one to say no to adventure, but the Cannith agent that found them that night did so much too quickly. The city watch were still examining the area when he approached them so she wasn't sure she believed the human about having heard it from the watch

LeoMidori
2010-02-11, 12:52 AM
Elaydren smiles to Gear, taking the journal from him and placing it on the table. Touching her Cannith signet ring to the cover, the threads glow, and she opens it up, flipping it to a specific page while they fill with drawings and writing. After studying it for a moment, she draws a handdrawn map from inside of her cloak. "The location of the lost foundary is deep within the Dorasharn tower," Lady Elaydren proclaims. "Fifty-seven levels below the tower's present-day sewer system. I'll give you your reward of gold, and the good will of my house if you recover the heirloom and return it to me."

She turns to Lam, not wanting to dismiss her question. "The Lord of Blades is a Warforged terrorist leader who's been harrassing our house for some time. As you've probably already gathered, he's not too keen on the "Flesh-Bound" races such as ourselves... not counting you, my friend." she says, smiling at Gear. It looks like he's intent on gaining the schema for his own dark purposes, though we can't say why. Other then perhaps other agents of his, who knows what lies in the depths of the sewers?"

"So... will you help me?"

d13
2010-02-11, 07:46 AM
Kieri

Still standing, a glass that once contained water in his hand, Kieri sighs.

"I am not one to be denying help when asked. I will go. For better or worse."

Allomancer
2010-02-11, 09:45 AM
Gear

"The chance to explore and discover a lost foundry of House Cannith?" Gear nods and the tone of his voice has raised a little - some would say in excitement, if they would attribute emotions to the warforged. "I will definitely assist."

KnightOfV
2010-02-11, 12:15 PM
Mizram

"I'm in," the grey elf says, smiling slightly. Having a House owe you something was as good as gold to the Dragonmarked. Good will in a major house can open doors... and tongues. "On behalf of the Artisans and Entertainer's Guild of House Phiarlan, I pledge my assistance. I hope that once this is all over, if your House finds need for social entertainment, they will remember Mizram."

LeoMidori
2010-02-11, 03:12 PM
The lady smiles at the supportive and spirited group she's managed to come onto. "Excellent! I thank you for your support and wish you well." she says, handing over the map she took from her cloak earlier. "This map shows the way to reach the sewers of the Dorasharn Tower. Somewhere beyond the E-213 Valve Cluster you'll find a sealed door with the same mark as on Bonal's journal. Open the seal, and the tunnel beyond will take you to the long-forgotten level far below, where the foundary resides.

"You should be in the right area if you find a knight who works for the silver flame; he shouldn't be hard to find as he'd stick out like a sore thumb from the rest of the surroundings. We hired him for the original expidition team, but it looks like he'll be joining you instead! I'm sure you'll find his help most useful."

Allomancer
2010-02-11, 03:25 PM
Gear

The warforged tilts his head at an angle. "Pardon my inquiry, but if the door is sealed, how are we to open it? I am certain I could most likely macgyver something, but I would like to know beforehand if possible."

LeoMidori
2010-02-11, 05:06 PM
"That is a good point... honestly I'm not certain how to open the doorway. Bonal probably would've known how to open the doorway..." she says sadly. "There must be someway inside, I'm sure of it. But there isn't much I could tell you, since I haven't been to the portal myself. I'm sorry I couldn't help you more with that."

Zerkai
2010-02-12, 05:22 PM
Lam

"Well.. I suppose I'll stick with the rest of you until we see this through. Wandering off on my own after last night wouldn't be a good idea" She nodded after a moment of consideration, leaning back in her chair.

"What can you tell us about this Knight of the Silver Flame? Will there be any others coming with us as well?" The changeling asked.

LeoMidori
2010-02-12, 06:48 PM
"Ah, well he seems like a good lad... young for certain, but his heart and talent seems in the right place. His name is Roger Giacomo. Other then his help, there are no other hired hands... but I'm sure that you're all more then capable of recovering the schema with him on your side, I'm confident of that."

d13
2010-02-12, 07:10 PM
Kieri

Tightening the grip on his makeshift walking cane as he hears that a Silver Flame-r would be joining them, Kieri's voice is still calmed as always.

"Silver Flame, huh? His heart better be in the right place..."

Why again, did I use green on my last post? xD

KnightOfV
2010-02-12, 11:03 PM
Mizram

"A knight of the Flame... perhaps his goddess will open those sealed doors for us if we ask nicely." The elf smirks a little, then opens his large book again. "I shall prepare my spells now, once I am done we can leave anytime."

Mizram will seem to lose focus on his surroundings as he becomes absorbed in the book. Every so often he will make motions as if grasping for something that cannot be seen as he pulls magic to himself. An hour later he will come back to the world, adjust his tie and jacket, and be ready to go.

EDIT: He takes his share of 25 gold first before zoning out! Can't be too careful with a rogue on the team :smallamused:

LeoMidori
2010-02-14, 06:37 PM
Lady Elaydren smiles lightly to you and gives a soft bow of appreciation in her seat. "I thank you for your help. I'll cover your expenses here for the night you stayed. I wish you good luck."

Returning your room key and setting your things with you, you go into the lightly rainy day, it getting a bit warm as the sun rises in the distance. It's nice change to the downpour and wind from last night. The map the lady gave you, alongside your collective knowledge of Sharn easily leads you to the base of the Dorasharn Tower, one of the more ancient spires of the city.
The tunnels and corridors of this level of the tower are narrow and dark. An occasional window slit looks out upon the crowded walls and foundations of other towers, and infrequently placed torches sputter here and there, giving off pallid pools of light and clouds of smoke. Even so, rough and dirty people crowd near the narrow corridors, and the smell of sweat and sewage permeates the stale air here.
One tunnel opens onto a large chamber, where a mix of goblins, humans, and shifters gather around a small pile of garbage spread across three rotting blankets. One of the goblins shouts, "No pushing! No pushing! There's always enough for everyone at the Rat's Market!"

Standing just outside the mass of dirty and obviously very impoverished is the male knight of the Silver Flame, who is a sight for sore eyes among everything else here. He was alerted to your forthcoming by Lady Elaydren earlier that morning, so his wait is finally over it would seem.

KnightOfV
2010-02-14, 10:03 PM
Mizram

"Small wonder Lady Elaydren hired us to go to this... flavorful location in her place. If I had known we were going this far into the slums, I would never have agreed. This is no place for a noble Dragonmarked scion... to be engulfed by all this refuse... it is demeaning." The 'noble scion' holds a hankerchief over his mouth as they walk as if afraid of infection, (or trying to block the smell) and tries his hardest not to touch or bump into anything .

Mikik
2010-02-15, 10:04 PM
Roger

The knight standing just before the heap of knicknacks and doodaudles that made up the Rat's Market was the least "knightly" looking person who ever held the title. He was long and thin, raggity and worn, and far taller than a man his age had any right to be. He stood as still as a statue, never budging. He didn't fidget in any way, he didn't turn his head, his eyes didn't even seem to move aside from an occaisional, begruding blink. His face was as craggy as a crudely carved statue. His brow was furrowed in a perminant scowl, his mouth long and determined. If he was as young as The Lady had made him out to be, he certainly did not look it.

He was leaning on a large, square wooden shield made from strong wooden planks. It's inside was plain and well maintained, but it's outside was splintered and chipped, showing signs of damage from almost every convievable weapon. A stone arrowhead was wedged inbetween two of the planks, a small measure of it's shaft still attatched to it after the rest was broken off. He wore a morning star on his waist: a dull and wicked looking weapon. It's head was cillindrical, black and bent, spikes poking out from it at odd angles. Even more intimidating: the hilt of the bludgeon had a makeshift guard made from a metal door handle bolted on. It, as well as the leather straps that made up the rest of the grip, were speckled with more black and red stains than the head of the weapon.

Most imposing of all was the sword the knight hung diagonally across his back: A five and a half foot long beast, far more carefully maintained than the knight's other weapon. It was rather simply crafted, no markings or engravings besides the silver arrowhead that had been forged onto the end of it's pommel. It was made from darker steel, and was as long and thin as the boy who held it. He shifted, if only slightly, as he saw his new comrades come into view. His expression did not change, but his eyes focused on the group intensely.
"Hello."
His voice betrayed his age. Strong and raspy as it was, it was still clearly that of a younger man's.

Zerkai
2010-02-16, 01:48 AM
Lam

"If a trip to the slums is all it takes to make you want to quit, I can't wait till we reach the sewers." Lam glanced in the Elf's direction, giving a smirk. The changeling had decided to stay in the same guise she'd been in since they rested at the tavern and took the job, a young fair-skinned human with black hair and eyes. Even then though she still wore the hood up and her scarf like a mask to cover the lower half of her face.

Her bow and quiver were on her back, her sickle sheathed at her side. She looked around the rat's market. Expression masked save for her eyes darting from person to person before resting on the Knight of the Silver Flame they were suppose to be meeting, raising an eyebrow

"Wow... I think he might be even taller then you, Gear."

d13
2010-02-16, 02:16 AM
Kieri

"Just come and wander with me a year or ten, you will man up, or die trying". Kieri patted the elf's back, using inadvertently a little more strength than needed, before walking towards the young knight. The old shifter wasn't really keen on meeting him, but he still had manners.

The spear, nearly as tall as the youngster, used as a walking cane as always, he closed the distance separating them and extended a claw-like hand, looking at the knight's eyes.

"Kieri Moonwhisper." He stresses the last name, reactively tightening the grip on his spear, but doing nothing else. "Glad to have you on our team."

Allomancer
2010-02-16, 06:06 PM
Gear

The warforged nods as his attention is drawn from the various and sundry items of the Rat's Market. "Indeed," Gear replies to the changeling as he looks at their new companion. Stepping closer, he holds out a hand in greeting to the paladin, keeping his hands clear of his weapon and gear harness. "As she said, I am Gear." The sputtering torchlight reflects off the symbol on the warforged's forehead, reminding those who see it of a cogwheel or sprocket.

Mikik
2010-02-16, 09:08 PM
Roger

The young man's eyes shifted from the old timer's spear, to his legs, back up to his eyes. His face wasn't exactly expressionless, but it was nearly unreadable. He extended his own hand to greet the shifter, giving him a single shake. His handshake was about as firm as his appearance warranted: some where in between vice-like and bone crushing. "My name is Roger Giacomo." He did not respond to Kieri's second sentence, moving onto his mechanical comrade instead. If the name "Moonwhisper" had any meaning to him, it did not show on his face.

As Lam had speculated, the knight was taller than Gear. Marginally. There wasn't more than an inch difference. He shook the automaton's hand as firmly as he had Kieri's. As he did, his eyes darted up to the symbol on Gear's forehead, then back down to his eyes. His expression remained stony. He released him, then looked over at his two remaining team mates. He raised his off hand, allowing his shield to fall on it's side. It kicked up a disproportionately large amount of dust and dirt as it collided with the floor, apparently far heavier than it looked.

He approached the changling first, dwarfing her in size. He wiggled his fingers, stiff from holding that shield for so long, and for the first time since the group had seen him, a hint of an expression showed up on his face. It tightened very slightly as his eyes shifted from Lam's scarf to her eyes. It said "I don't trust someone who covers their face." and, by extension "I don't trust you." He extended his hand down to the shape shifting girl, but did not repeat his name. He didn't say anything.

KnightOfV
2010-02-16, 11:00 PM
Mizram

The elf makes a self depreciating laugh and shrug for the changling girl and shifter, "I do know all about the Rat's Market of course, but no one ever seemed to mention the smell... " he trails off as he realizes everyone else seems to be taking their surroundings in stride, and with an effort folds the handkerchief neatly away into his front pocket. He can't quite seem to keep his nose from wrinkling in disgust every now and again though.

He glances uncomfortably about as his party introduces themselves to the stone-faced soldier -there was a man who looked ready to kill if he had ever seen one- and wonders what he's gotten himself into this time. The elf keeps trying to brush dirt and grime, imagined or real, off his fine jacket seeming to acknowledge in both look and stance he feels a little overdressed and out of his element. As the silence between Roger and Lam grows long, Mirzam steps forward removing his hat and giving his most formal bow. "Mizram, the Magnificent, my lord," he says flashing most of his teeth in a grin and looking up at Roger. "It is an incredible honor to finally meet one of the Silver Flame's virtuous Knights I hear so very much about." He does his best to hide his nervousness behind his persona, but there is uncertainty in his eyes.

LeoMidori
2010-02-17, 10:17 AM
Gear glances over the spread wares and items for sale. On the surface you find nothing of value or possible use: clearly wet and wrinkled paper, chipped and sometimes outright cracked drinking mugs, broken tallow from old candles and other such things come into immediate view. A more dedicated search underneith might yield better results. The warforged does seem to get the attention of the ruddy goblin merchant who's heading the makeshift 'stall'.

"Surface dwellers, aren't you? I could spot ya a mile away while you're down here. Welcome to the Rat's Market! Is there anything I could interest you in today?" the poorly dressed, though seemingly friendly merchant asks through a smile.

Allomancer
2010-02-17, 10:28 AM
Gear

As the warforged peruses the items, he begins to dig through the objects with a more diligence. "Surface dwellers, yes. Onatar grant I find something worthy here," he intones in what passes for a soft voice amongst warforged.

@Leo: Dunno if you wanted it or not, but just in case: [roll0]

d13
2010-02-17, 10:34 AM
Kieri

"Surface dweller, indeed. Excuse me."

Kieri begins to check the garbage, searching for anything useful. Coming across a Silver Flamer this early wasn't something he was really expecting.

"Let me help you with that"

[roll0]

Zerkai
2010-02-17, 06:54 PM
Lam

The changeling look up at Roger as he approached, watching him extend his hand. Her eyes narrowed slightly as she carefully reached out with a gloved hand to shake his han "Just call me Lam." She regretted not being able to use an alias this time, as the rest of the group knew her name. Well, at least the Knight didn't know she was a changeling.

She released his hand, looking at Gear and Kieri as they started to shift through the piles, "What are you two...?" She trailed off after a moment. "Come to think of it... we didn't have time prepare before we took this job." The rogue took a few steps back, they started to search for anything useful or valuable in the piles of trash or the area nearby

Search Check: [roll0]

Mikik
2010-02-17, 10:39 PM
"I will do that." He took her hand and shook it, a little firmer than the other group members. His eyes narrowed in response. There was no ambiguity in this expression. It said: "I'll be keeping an eye on you." The eccentric elf caught Roger off guard, breaking him from his intense focus on the changeling. For the first time since he had introduced himself, the Paladin showed an expression that didn't reek of animosity. He looked confused, one eyebrow raised. It wasn't clear if he was struck by Mizram's appearance, manner of speech, or the fact that he had bowed to him. "Erm," Not particularly comfortable being addressed as "My Lord" the youth fell onto one knee, resting his right arm on his thigh.
"I am likewise honored by my company." He looked around the room at his various comrades as he spoke the sentence. It sounded un-natural, rehearsed. He rose back to his feet, scaly armor clinking against his form, and shook Mizram's hand without waiting for the elf to extend it. His hands were as coarse as work gloves. His eyes met the elf's as they did with every other group member, if he had noticed his uncertainty, it did not show on his face. It had returned to it's previously rigid state.

The Knight released the elf and started back toward his shield, which he had left by the pile of trash that composed the Rat's Market. He noticed that his allies were rummaging through the heap and decided to follow suit, wading into the refuse in search of anything useful.

[roll0]

KnightOfV
2010-02-18, 01:15 AM
Mizram

The magician breaths a small sigh of relief. It was just as his family said, a warm greeting did a lot to break the tension, no matter who or what you are dealing with. The knight did seem civilized, at least.

He watches the party, intrigued that they would all find sudden interest in all garbage around them... did the commoners normally shop in places like this? What were they all looking for, anyhow? Curiosity gets the better of him and he finds himself glancing through the goods, still not touching anything -not for all the wisdom of all his ancestors would he touch any of this filth- but his quick mind taking in a surprising amount with just a glance. To the shoddy goblin shopkeeper he says, "I cannot conceive of you having any... merchandise? to attract my attentions. But I always have an interest in rumors. I find when precious secrets are spoken aloud to my ears, coins magically appear before friendly goblins." He smiles conspiratorially, then goes back to looking around.

Time to join the great trash hunt! [roll0]
EDIT: must not be looking very hard...

LeoMidori
2010-02-18, 04:50 PM
Skakan, the goblin merchant happily trades coins with Gear for what was found among the otherwise trashy 'merchandise' being sold. Listening to Mizram he gave a smile to the elf. "Hmm, well if it's one language I know, it's that of the sound of money given to me. I could give you a boiled rat skewer for just 5 silver... or perhaps it's a certain valve cluster you're interested in? How about 100 silver?"

Allomancer
2010-02-19, 12:09 PM
Gear

"Thank you!" The warforged says as he kneels to open his pack. He puts the coiled rope and sunrod into it, then puts the bell and mirror into his belt harness and replaces the pack on his back.

KnightOfV
2010-02-19, 02:39 PM
Mizram

The elf suddenly stops and stares straight at the goblin, frowning. "What makes you think we were interested in a 'valve cluster?' I don't think any of us have said anything about that. Did you hear something from someone? Or are there just a lot of outsiders asking about it these days?" Smelling a trap the Mizram eyes the goblin carefully, ready to weave a daze around its mind if it looks like running or attacking.

LeoMidori
2010-02-19, 05:45 PM
The goblin laughs lightly at Mizram, almost friendly-like as if Mizram were joking with him. "Aha, you're quite the suspicious type in these parts, aren't you? Not that I really blame you or anything... but if you'd like to know the way in my offer still stands. As do my fabulous bargains today! Would you like this fine woolen blanket with only a hint of mildew? Only 23 coppers if you want it."

KnightOfV
2010-02-21, 03:29 AM
Mizram

The elf can barely contain his smile as he adjusts his hat atop his silver hair. Information gathering was a game he had been learning to play since adolescence. And as good as he was at the game, he was even better at cheating it. He brings a hand to his chin looking thoughtful, and eyes the goblin shrewdly.

"100 silver? As in 10 full gold coins? Hahaha... That's a lot of money, friend, and we may be from higher up but we aren't that rich. Allow me to present a counter proposition..." The elf leans closer and begins to pull on a subtle spell weave he prepared that morning, that had been very good to him over the years. His hand moves slowly before the goblin's face, and Mizram's voice begins to take a deep drone while his magic subtly clouds the goblin's mind. "Tell us about this valve cluster, five silver will be adequate for the information." He snaps his fingers before the goblins eyes, finishing the spell and imprinting his command. "After all, we may be back later to buy more if you give us a good deal, we are all reasonable beings here," he laughs, easing back into a casual stance, palming a few coins from his jacket.

He plinks 5 silver in front of the shopkeeper, puts a careful smile on his face, and hopes the goblin is a weak-minded as he looks...

cast hypnotism (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/hypnotism.htm).As long as the goblin has[roll0] hit dice or less, he needs to make a will save DC 15 with a -2 penalty or do as I say. As long as the DM thinks this request is 'reasonable', anyhow...

LeoMidori
2010-02-21, 12:58 PM
Skakan frowns deeply at Mizrams' proposal, crossing his arms and souring. "Five silver?! That's an insult! You'd better think about your priorities before you make another offer like that!"

Clearly either the spell wasn't strong enough, or Skakan's mind isn't as weak as Mizram gave him credit for. Whichever the case, it didn't work, and he seems less happy about you being around.

KnightOfV
2010-02-21, 01:48 PM
Mizram

"No offense meant friend, of course!" Smiling and bowing, speaking empty assurances to the goblin, the elf backs away. Lowering his voice and turning to his companions he says, "I doubt this lowlife's information is worth that much... but if the rest of you wish to accept this outrageous sum, we can each throw in 2 gold. Otherwise... I'm sure we can find our way on our own. I find it highly improbable the creature even knows anything about our business. And I suppose my magic cannot work on those with rocks for brains...." He shrugs, indicating he hardly cares either way and would be fine with whatever the others think. The wizard looks sore as if he had just swallowed something nasty. That spell did usually work, and it was always embarrassing to slip up a trick when you had an audience.

Zerkai
2010-02-21, 07:07 PM
Lam

Lam took off her gloves before bringing her palm to her face at the Elf's bungled magic attempt. She quickly walked over to the merchant goblin, kneeling down next to him. "I apologize for my traveling companion's behavior, elf." she jerked her thumb back at Mizram as if that explained everything, before she started rifling through some hidden pockets in her cloak and the rest of her outfit.

"A hundred silver for any information about the valve you have... and an extra ten for your trouble." She took out an empty pouch, dropping what looked like 6 gold pieces and several dozen pieces of silver. Once she was done, the pouch was filled with what amounted to 110 silver pieces. She held out the coin-filled pouch to the merchant "Take the time to count them if you want."

LeoMidori
2010-02-21, 07:30 PM
Skakan gladly takes Lam's money, giving it a quick count and pocketing it into a belt purse. He folds up his wares into the spread out blanket, hefting it over his shoulder like an oversized backpack, grabbing an old spear and motioning with his arm for you to follow. "Thank you kindly, miss!" he says to Lam. To the crowd of shoppers, "I'll be back soon, don't you worry."

A bit of walking down some rather narrow streets and alleyways for a couple minutes around the tower, the goblin soon leads you to an old stone staircase, five feet wide. "The sewers are down there. The last person to ask was some shifter about two or maybe three weeks ago... seemed to want this entrance in perticular, much like yourselves. Good luck to you, on whatever it is you're doing." he says cheerfully, turning back whence he came with an enthusiastic wave.

Mikik
2010-02-21, 08:41 PM
Roger

After a few moments of rummaging, Roger found that there was nothing in the heap that caught his interest. He smacked the dust off of his hands then hefted his shield off of the ground, carrying the massive slab of wood and nails rather comfortably in his left hand. The Paladin had not noticed Mizram's bumbling attempt at magic until the elf had addressed him and the rest of the group. He muttered something to himself under his breath: less words and more annoyed grumbles, reaching for the small buttoned coin pouch on his belt. It was unclear what bothered him more: the fact that Mizram had attempted to influence a person through the use of magic, or the fact that he was going to pay for it.

At least, he thought he was going to. He watched as Lam payed the goblin, and his head seemed to nod very slightly. He didn't trust the girl, but he now had a small measure of respect for her.
"Hn." Roger approached the mouth of the staircase, stretching his arms out to measure it's width. Not much room to swing a sword, especially considering that he could have comrades at all sides. He put his right hand to his chin, considering. If he lifted his shield, he could probably block off most of the corridor. He had scoped out the Rat's Market similarly before the party had arrived.

Allomancer
2010-02-22, 10:26 AM
Gear

The warforged follows along as quietly as a six-and-a-half-foot, three-hundred pound being could - Gear is surprising nimble. When the goblin leaves them at the stairwell, he steps forward. "In what order should we proceed? I have not really been trained as a scout, but I am not inept should the need arise. I did just acquire a sunrod, as well, if it is needed."

KnightOfV
2010-02-22, 10:50 AM
Mizram

The elf follows along quietly, for a change, not speaking until they get to the stairs. "I have neither protective armor, nor a metal shell that encases me. I will stay near the back, if it pleases the company." He looks down the staircase, his elven eyes still able to see through anything except for pitch darkness, and will keep glancing around as they descend.

[roll0]

d13
2010-02-22, 10:58 AM
Kieri

Taking a javelin in his spare hand, Kieri crouches, his head near the floor; and casts a Light spell on the tip of his spear.

"I will go in front. Try not to contaminate the way, there will probably be tracks.
This light will last for about a sixth of hour. Keep the sunrod ready"

Without waiting for an answer, Kieri moves forward, looking for tracks and being generally aware of his surroundings, longspear in one hand, javelin in the other.

LeoMidori
2010-02-22, 01:38 PM
The five of you decend into the darkness, the sounds of rushing water getting louder as you go deeper into the tower. After a minute or two you come to a turn to the right; Kieri, with his keen senses sees an armed warforged waiting in ambush, hiding within some exposed piping and broken brick from the ceiling as soon as the dim part of his light comes near.

d13
2010-02-22, 08:49 PM
Kieri

Coming to a halt, Kieri puts his javelin horizontally, blocking the way of the people following him.
Without a gesture, he speaks.

"Who are you? Are you an agent of this so called Lord of Blades?
You have lost this game. Please, step forward and drop your weapons."

Still weary, Kieri sheathes his javelin and readies the spear in case the stranger charges.

Zerkai
2010-02-23, 07:23 AM
Lam

"What where you thinking, Mizram? What would happen if the merchant's found out we tried to swindle someone with magic?" Lam looked back at the wizard, scowling under the hood and scarf, her voice quiet and annoyed.

She paused though as Kieri stopped, drawing the sickle from her side as she listened to him call the warforged out. She doubted she'd be able to get a clear shot with her bow this cramped area

Allomancer
2010-02-23, 09:08 AM
Gear

The warforged pauses as well in his position at the middle of the group, holding his crossbow steady but aimed down and towards the stairwell wall as he was trained so as to not accidentally fire a bolt at his companions.

"I have not seen a warforged directly in a month or more and now, within two days, I find myself in opposition to two!"

KnightOfV
2010-02-23, 12:53 PM
Mizram

"It was not my finest moment, I admit. I just thought it would expedite matters..." he starts to reply to Lam when the party stops. He raises a hand in preparation for a spell, almost relieved for the distraction and chance to prove his usefulness after the last blunder.

In case it is needed, [roll0]

Mikik
2010-02-23, 07:45 PM
Roger

Roger paused just before Kieri's Javelin. He looked down at the weapon, then back out into the area before him. Wriggling his stiff fingers into movement, he gripped the wicked looking morning star on his belt by it's handle. He shifted the heavy weapon in his hand for a moment, drawing it back into the space beside his head. His stony expression persisted except for his eyes: These were as big as dinner plates, wide and alert. Wild, too, wilder than what was becoming of a Paladin. Like the rest of the group, he waited for the would be ambusher to make it's move.

LeoMidori
2010-02-24, 02:39 AM
Having been trapped after trying to set his own ambush, the warforged jumped from his hiding spot, running down the staircase and into the open Sharn sewers. He lights a bullseye lanturn and carries it in his off hand, pointing his razor sharp rapier at you when you decend from the staircase.

"You have Bonal's journal," the warforged says; it's not a question. "Give the book to me and you can live to see another day. Refuse, and we will make your deaths slow and painful."

A short distance away, you can hear the splashing of a few sets of footsteps from behind your opponent. Seems he prepared reinforcements...

KnightOfV
2010-02-24, 12:45 PM
Mizram

"You best surrender as the shifter said, otherwise your deaths will be quick and effortless!" Mizram boasts. With a flourish he waves his hand and speaks a word, and a bolt of energy streaks crazily from his hand toward the rapier wielding warforged, somehow managing not to hit any allies in its seemingly random flight path. He stays where he is in the back, away from the enemies.

[roll0]

d13
2010-02-24, 07:50 PM
Kieri

"Well, you cannot say I did not try..."

Kieri sidesteps, readying his spear if anyone decides to charge him.

Mikik
2010-02-24, 08:00 PM
His weapon still drawn back, Roger shuffled up beside Kieri, nudging the old Shifter with his shield."Wait for the rest to show themselves. Guard my flank, and I will guard yours." He raised his shield, covering most of his own body behind it. "If you feel weak, stand behind me." He looked over his shoulder briskly to address the rest of the group. "And do not shoot me in the back."

LeoMidori
2010-02-25, 08:26 PM
The magic missle hits the warforged in the chest, him growling and moving forwards to attack the wizard before Roger and Kieri step in his way. He draws his rapier back, deciding to attack the old shifter with his slim but sharp blade. It hits, but the leather armor he's wearing manages to save him from any damage.

d13
2010-02-26, 10:38 PM
Kieri

Growling as he jumped backwards (Kieri is descended from a Werepanther), Kieri lunged forward with his spear.

"Weak"

Five foot step behind. Attack with longspear.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Zerkai
2010-02-28, 08:55 PM
Lam

The rogue considered entering the fray and giving them a hand, but after a moment she considered the sounds in the darkness, the warforged's backup. She dropped her sickle and drew her bow from her back, moving to the side and stepping forward, now by Kieri's side as she prepared for any warforged that would rush into the light, confident that the human and shifter could handle the one in front of them

LeoMidori
2010-03-07, 10:48 PM
Far in the background you hear at least three people speaking before their feet splash a number of times towards you. You can't make out what they are at this distance, however, due to the lack of light. The Paladin and the Artificer both try and attack the rapier weilding agent of the Lord of Blades, but to no avail. To Gear: "Your feeble attacks mean nothing! With the schema in the hands of our master, there will be nothing to stop him from ruling all five nations! Join us now and delay your suffering among these weak fleshed nothings!"

KnightOfV
2010-03-08, 12:44 AM
Mizram

"Oh, please, please spare us mere mortals.... from your dramatics. I mean, really? Rule the five nations with a blank book? That does not seem like something out of a child's fable to you? All this is is simple thuggery. My question to you: what IS it about this book you want so much? Perhaps you can shed some... illumination on the subject."

The elf smirks safe behind his guardians, then waves a hand as he casts a simple spell. "Time for your friends to come out of the dark. It is not too late to be civil about this."

A smokeless flame appears in Mizram's hand, then splits into four smaller fires. Each flame glows as bright as a lantern, and sheds some much needed light into the sewer. With a thought, the lights fly toward the newcomers and hover directly overhead revealing their forms.
cast dancing lights (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dancingLights.htm) stay where he is

LeoMidori
2010-03-08, 01:00 AM
Mizram's spell lights a good length of the sewer, and it looks like there are six metal iris valves on each side of the walls, twelve in total. One opens up just ten feet ahead of the warforged, who seems not the least bit irritated by Mizram's words or his cantrip. "Ha! As if I'd tell you fools what we need the journal for!" he says with a laugh, three shifters appearing from the opposite end of the sewer and heading towards you!

Mikik
2010-03-08, 08:44 PM
Roger

Roger stumbled slightly as his bludgeon swung through empty air, missing the Warforged entirely. He took a moment to recover, then drew his weapon back again. "Stop talking."The words came out harsh and low. If the Paladin had little patience for speech during peaceful moments, he had none during combat. He swung his weapon downward at his opponent, aiming for the general area in which his head was placed. He paid little attention to the light or new enemies, dead focused on caving in the warforged's mechanical skull.

d13
2010-03-10, 08:17 PM
Kieri

Quickly recovering from his miss, Kieri thrusts again.

"Your confidence will be your doom."

[roll0]
[roll1]

Zerkai
2010-03-12, 08:30 PM
Lam

Lam watched the shifters down the sewer, but turned to the warforged her companions were still fighting, pulling back an arrow and letting it fly and the mechanical humanoid.

Point Blank Shot Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]