PDA

View Full Version : Shadows Brought to Light - Main Game

Taren
2010-01-23, 06:36 PM
Shadows Brought to Light
The First Bit: In Which Cthulhu gives out unicorns and skips back to R'lyeh to begin the tea party of the damned.

This isn't a proper fantasy story.

The distinction is clear from the fact that it doesn't start in a tavern. As all writers of good, honest fantasy know, all good fantasy epics begin in a tavern, and those that don't are either amaturish, sloppy, or, worst of all... silly.

Which doesn't leave us much hope, does it?

One might expect the presence of certain noticeably slipshod elements: A title that has absolutely nothing to do with the game itself. A narrator with a tendency to meander off on random tangents without ever getting to the furshlugging' point. Or even the horrible presence of the greatest of taboos in the epic tale: Mirth.

By the gods, man! Turn your back to us and flee this forum, lest your appreciation for the genre be wasted by the presence of the silly clowns which threaten to contaminate your judgment even as we speak!

Regardless, this is a fantasy story. A story of some mediocre quality, which attempts to be funny when it should be dramatic, but a fantasy story none the less. And while this story doesn't begin in a tavern, it's beginnings DO involve copious amounts of alcohol...

"...By the eye of Vecna, WHAT THE HELL?!? Why didn't it work?"

"Thesh's sumthin wong with the 'pell, I fink. Sumwun musta wents screwy."

"... Lev, are you drunk?"

"Coursh not. Jess needed sum liquie courash, tha's all! Letsh try again."

"Try AGAIN?!? We can't JUST try again! There's preparation to be made! You may have set us back ages!"

"Oh, shorry, Mikky."

"...group dismissed. Have Lev put to death, I'll try to think of SOMETHING to salvage this debacle..."

Somewhere, in the sky, some ominous thunder crashed.

There is still time. There's always still time, otherwise there wouldn't be a story worth telling. But for the moment, our tale must shift perspectives, to another region...

They awoke to darkness.

Six people from foreign lands, thrown together through mysterious means.

The world around them is dark. There is a chill in the air, as a cold breeze sweeps across the floor of a cavern. The humidity is almost tangible, as condensation beads on their foreheads.

Eventually, there are sounds of movement, as each of what we can only refer to as "Adventurers" stir, recovering from whatever brought them here. At the present moment they share a single thing in common: Each of their heads feels like it's been kicked in by a giant. Several times. In their slumber, they had dreams of flying across the world, and then falling towards a mountain. They are in a small cavern. As they stir, some of them can feel the presence of moss, or perhaps some sort of fur scattered along the bottom floor of the cave.

In the corner of the cave, along a wall, there is a skull propped up along the wall. There's always such a thing in places like this. Bones have been scattered along the floor in a haphazard fashion. Once more, a breeze comes from the opposite direction of the skull, along a craggy path.

At this point, one's mind will linger on a single point: Who are these six? Who are the strangers who awoke to such inauspicious beginnings?

Insanity_Luc
2010-01-23, 08:01 PM
One of the six figred stirred slightly, rolling over on the soft floor. This was for two simple reasons. The first being that a pounding headache was not out of the normal scheme of 'waking up' for Art Gijak, and the other was that he was easy fooled into thinking he was upon his own furs.

This lasted only a moment or two, before the sudden realization that none of the scents around him were at all familiar came upon him. He sat up, noting that at least he still had his blades- a massive two headed orc axe he favored in combat. Next he quietly patted his pockets- hmph. Almost all of his gear was gone...
All he knew was that this had better not be another goddamned 'spirit test' from the village shaman. Apparently he had taken the notion of 'testing the prince' and extended it to 'get chuckles from tormenting the damn kid'. Codgy old damn...

"Alright, who's there?" he called out, in a rough voice with a slight accent- common came easily, but a bit... distorted. This was, in fact, due to the tusks. They weren't terribly big, and for tusks were certainly kept rather in good shape, but were, in fact tusks.

As half orcs went, Art was... well, not bad. He wasn't going to have any epics devoted to his face's beauty, but he'd found a steady hand with a axe sufficed.

Bariko
2010-01-23, 08:14 PM
Ah, that brief moment of consciousness after your eyes open, but before you register anything else. Blissful, isn't it? The little period when the world seems to be nothing but a dream. And then it's shattered as you do nothing more than sit up.

"Aaaaugh, chyort!" called out one of the six people currently in the cavern. Hands clasped a head. "Piss and blood, what the hell did I drink?" inquired the voice to nobody in particular.

As his hands pulled away from his forehead, the young man's eyes began to adjust to the darkness. "Certainly not enough to have wound up in this place," he paused considering. "Or hurt this much." Reflexively, the individual turned to look at his surroundings.

"Now, see, I could have sworn that I went to bed in an inn. With some very nice company," he muttered. Wincing, he groaned again, "Oh my bloody head..." As his eyes opened again, they caught sight of the bones along the floor. Could use a decorator...

Finally, he turned to take stock of the other people in this room. "And who are you poor souls? Any idea why I'm here?" he asked. Suddenly, eyes wide, the half-elf searched his clothes quickly, sighing audibly when he found what he was looking for. Quickly unscrewing the flask, he took a deep drink. Smiling at no one, he continued. "I don't usually go in for the hair of the dog, but if I hurt this much, it was a hell of a dog." As he noticed the rest awaken, he waited until they'd all gotten their cursing out of their head. "The name's Tyern. Pleased to meet you. Any idea how I got here? Because I'm, uh, I'm pretty sure I fell asleep somewhere else last night."

Dhavaer
2010-01-23, 09:59 PM
Solaine jerked awake as ophidian panic flooded her mind through her empathic link. The long, hard object she was sure hadn't been there when she went to sleep, or at least hadn't been quite so long, hard and knobbly, did nothing to make her more restful. As Shroud slithered around on her shoulders, tongue flickering, she hauled herself up and groped at the floor until her hand closed on the thing underneath her. She cast a light spell, and jerked backward, dropping what had just been revealed as a humanoid bone.

"I know I was elsewhere last night myself, but what say we get out of here before questions? Something's clearly been killing people down here and I'd rather be gone before it comes back."

Catch
2010-01-24, 12:44 AM
Something lurked in the depths of the cavern. Around the unconscious it circled unseen, but a quick ear could follow - the scrape of a footstep, a creak of leather. It froze as the sleepers began to stir. Burrowed in shadows, the attacker poised to strike.

"Alright, who's there?"

A stone whisked past the half-orc's jaw, and clattered somewhere behind him. Across the cavern, there was a rustling of cloth and a cluck of disappointment. Muttered cursing could be heard by even those with clogged ears, though softer than drunkard's stumblings and introducing himself to the dark.

"Beltar's black teats, who took me chivs?" The voice was small, rough and sharp, like a rusty nail. "That sodding robe must've... augh!"

The flash of light from the young woman's spell illuminated a crouched figure in a far corner of the cavern. Black hair curtained her jaw, and between shielding fingers, a grey eye glared, crossed by a puckered scar. Dropping her hand to the ruby hilt of a blade, the girl (http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/893/taliamid.png) ascended to her full height - just under a meter.

"Oi. Watch where you're swingin' that witchy torch. Don't know what kind of crawlies kip down here." She crossed her arms and blew a lock of hair from her nose. 'Sposing you know where 'here' happens to be."

PhoeKun
2010-01-24, 01:26 AM
As each person around her stirred, one figure remained quite deathly still. Only the sudden burst of illumination elicits any sort of reaction, that being a weak moan and a sudden coughing fit.

Her... Everything hurt. One arm weakly feels its way up her body, trying to make sense of the situation. Legs seem ok. Stomach - sensitive. Ribs - unbroken. Neck - devoid of vampire bites (phew!). Stuff - missing. That's a new one. Whimpering, Ansaksie pushes herself into a sitting position and reveals herself to the world around her.

Or at least, she would have if her hair hadn't spilled forward onto her face, obscuring her view. She shakes her head, tossing the abused black locks back into place. Better. Now... where is she? Unfamiliar voices and an unfamiliar cave... she was sure that for once she'd managed an actual bed. Had one of the voices carried her here during the night?

"I..."

Vision's hazy, like her thoughts. She squints, her green eyes seeming almost glassed over. A yawn escapes her lips.

"Do I... have we... you know... met?" She asks the cave.

The_Snark
2010-01-24, 06:50 AM
When Em woke up the world was much colder and wetter than the one she'd gone to sleep in, and someone had gone and stolen both her blankets. And after she'd gone and made sure to bring two so she didn't catch cold, too! It didn't seem fair and if she could have ignored it by curling up in her blankets and going right back to sleep, she would have.

Naturally, she couldn't do that, and curling up on the cold damp stone was just not the same. Em sat up with a groan and squinted at the light and noise, rubbing her eyes and clutching at her head. Never what you would call well-groomed, her rough night had not done anything to remedy this: her dress was rumpled and muddy, and her hair looked like a bird's nest. One belonging to a particularly slovenly bird, at that.

"I dunno where we are either," she chipped in, adding a voice that an uncharitable person would describe as whiny to the chorus of ignorance. Then she saw the bones lying on the floor, and whatever else she'd been going to say flew right out of her head, along with the sullenness. "Cripes! Are those people bones?"

Taren
2010-01-25, 12:29 AM
As the talented Solaine invoked her magic, light flared into existence with the utterance of a single word and a pinch of phosphorescent moss.

The cave these six had found wasn't tremendous in size, only about fifty feet in diameter. The skull they had seen before lay among tattered and torn fragments of clothing, a corroded dagger resting nearby. Facing opposite to the skull was a darkened path, dotted with stalagmites and stalactites. With the new source of light in the cavern, several of the six noticed the glint of several pieces of metal on the floor of the cave. Art, Talia, Tyern, Ansaksie, and Em all noticed several gold and silver coins scattered along the floor, partially covered with grime and grit.

At the edge of the only apparent way out, Art could hear a faint growling, and Em and Solaine could make out the vague pitter-patter of padded feet along the stone floor.

It would appear that the group wasn't alone...

Dhavaer
2010-01-25, 01:47 AM
"I think we can definitely say that yes, they're people bones."

Initiative: [roll0]

The_Snark
2010-01-25, 06:08 AM
If there was one good way to wake up, it was finding out that you'd just woken up in some horrible ogre's lair. Well, not a good way, but a very quick one. Em's drowsiness, petulance, and headache were all quite forgotten.

"Cripes," she whispered again—for all his other faults, Abe Tully had been death on profanity—and shivered, backing away. "Do you hear that?"

Initiative [roll0]

Dhavaer
2010-01-25, 06:36 AM
"I was hoping it was my imagination."

Insanity_Luc
2010-01-25, 02:01 PM
Art cracked his neck idly, standing and swinging his axe into position.

"Aye." he rumbled, glancing around in the feeble spell-light to examine the others. Clearly they had no ken of how they'd landed there... he was nae ruling out that th' damn Shaman hadn't done it, though.

"And th' makers of man t' bone, I think, r' comin' home." he stepped towards the entrance agead of the others, ready his weapon to attack whatever was to come.

"I am Art Gijak, son of The Two Edge Tribes- and I'd reccomend any' of yeh what has blade 'r spell ready yourself. We all been landed in' summat strange- may as well pull together s' we can." he said, glancing back at them before facing the approaching growls...

"Come on then, ya cursed beasts!" he spat a line of orcish tongue- it sounded like a curse, but most things in orcish do.

[roll0]

Taren
2010-01-25, 09:55 PM
As Art walked forward, the growling sound began to grow louder... and shapes began to inch forward from the edge of the shadows.

And something lunged at him.

It had probably been nice once. Certainly, it had been someone's pet, for it hadn't yet managed to shed itself of a rather worn-looking leather collar with the words "Mr. Huggybug" burned onto it. It had never truly been a wolf. But as far as the pack behind it was concerned, it was a wolf in spirit.

And it had been a long, LONG time since it had been small. Or cute. Or allowed itself to be oppressed by it's humanoid masters. The not-a-wolf charged forward and lunged straight at Art's throat. Unfortunately, it failed to take distance into account during it's flying leap, and landed rather short of his throat, managing to get a muzzlefull of dust and stone as it crashed into the ground right in front of him. (OOC: It missed.)

A number of wolves padded into the cave behind it, hackles raised and ready to clear their den of intruders...

(OOC: Combat time! Ordinarily, I'll be asking for people to decide where they'd be standing at the start of any given battle, but since you all just woke up I'm kinda gonna just guess at your starting positions. Art, Em, and Solaine get to act in the surprise round, so you each get a standard action, after the enemies go, unfortunately. Also, as part of my ongoing effort to make Play-by-post games more immersive, I will occasionally provide music for this game to help set the mood, or just for entertainment. Please open this link in a new tab and listen as you read, if you like! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKk2lb0KENM&feature=related)

Lastly... for those who look below, i.e: Everyone, we will be using the tablemaker to determine combat in this game... ordinarily I prefer a hex grid, but it's easier on lazy-old-me this way. To move your character while you fight, just mention which square you'd like them to get to, for example, say that he's charging to A-5, and I'll adjust people's positions each round. Squares that say "Wall" can't be moved into or through, for reference.)

{table]Zero|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J
1|Wall | | | | | | | | |Wall
2| | | |FH| | | | |
3| | | | Art| |W2| | |
4|W1| | |W3| |Em | | |
5|Ansaksie| | |W5| | | |W4|
6| | | |Tyern | | | |Solaine|
7| | | | | | | | |
8| | | | |Talia | | | |
9| | | | | | | | |[/table]

EDIT: Ok... forgot to mention this. Em, Solaine,and Art, just take a free standard action along with your current actions, and I'll work both your side of the surprise round and the first round together. Everyone post actions for the round!)

Dhavaer
2010-01-25, 10:13 PM
Solaine plucks a strap of leather from the pouch on her belt and touches it to her lips as she whispers. As she whips it back and around in a spiral, a shimmering field appears around her and Shroud before fading from view. (Casts mage armour and shares it with Shroud.)

When Mr Huggybug and the wolves leap into the room, she darts back and launches a dart of black flame at the nearest one. (Five foot step to H7 and invoke eldritch spear at the wolf in H5. [roll0], [roll1].)

Catch
2010-01-26, 12:02 PM
As the growling pack slunk out of the darkness, Talia patted her sleeves reflexively, searching for knives she knew had been taken. Her boots, gloves - even the stiletto she'd sewed in the collar of her shirt. She grimaced, slinking away from the glowing woman and into the shadows lingering at the edge of the cage.

"Got invited to a spot of tea with Rover and I'm all out of party favors."

Talia tugged at a cord tied around her forearm, which dropped loose the leather cup disguised as an elbow pad. Her fingers found the pouch of lead stones on her belt, and fitted one into the sling, which began to revolve slowly as Talia disappeared...

OOC:
Move Action: Talia moves to A9 (assuming this is the farthest back she can go, if not, 30 feet away from Solaine) and draws her sling as part of the move.
Free Action: Hide Check: [roll0]
Free Action: Draw one sling bullet
Move Action: Talia loads her sling

Insanity_Luc
2010-01-26, 09:25 PM
Art glanced down at the collar, and raised an eyebrow. People... really named dogs like that? No wonder the thing had gone feral. Well, no hope for it, really. He took a swing, aiming for the hound on the first swing, and the wolf behind him on the second.

Swing one! [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Swing Two! [roll2] Damage: [roll3]

PhoeKun
2010-01-28, 11:07 PM
Ansaksie is surprised, to say the least, to see a wolf suddenly baring down on her in the dark with its teeth bared and a snarl in its throat. She scrambles backwards, her fingers wrapping themselves tightly around the mace she'd been lucky enough to retrieve not a second earlier.

She's careful not to brandish it too aggressively as she puts a couple of feet of distance between herself and the angry beast. Later, she would wonder if this is the sort of thing that made her look a bit too much like prey, but right at that moment, she was much more focused on not upsetting the wolf any further.

"H-hey, wait a second... what are you trying to do?"

[b]OOC[:/b] Ansaksie takes a five foot step backwards, and casts Divine Favor. She draws/readies/whatevers her weapon, and ends her turn.

Bariko
2010-01-28, 11:33 PM
Tyern

Tyern suddenly starts, noticing the wolf suddenly at his side. As he took a quick but measured step backwards, Tyern nocked an arrow to the shortbow in his hand, a small, determined smile appeared on the bard's face. "Huh. Take my money, take my stuff, take me, and now take my life? No, I don't think so."

A faint glow seems to illuminate the eerily metallic irises as the half elf raised his voice. Anyone present could tell you that it was no ordinary music, it carried an energy with it, a subtle force. The arrowhead in front of his face began to glisten faintly, as if it were coated with something. If the others who were facing these wolves looked closely, they would notice a similar appearance to their weapons. I suppose we're all a bit busy...

"Night closed around us all today,
And magic light show'd what would try to kill,
We who were lost this dreadful day
Stand few and faint, but fearless still.
The soldier's hope, the patriot's zeal,
For ever dimm'd, for ever crost
Oh! who shall say what heroes feel,
When all but life and honour's lost?"

OOC Five foot step backwards, nocking an arrow (Move action), activating badge of Valor (swift action) and activating Inspire Courage as Dragonfire Inspiration (Standard action). Everyone gets to add +2d6 acid damage to all weapon attacks.

The_Snark
2010-01-29, 06:53 AM
As the growling sounds approached, Em peered into the dark, nervous but ready to oh my goodness those were wolves, weren't they?

It wasn't that Em had never been around large dogs; plenty of folks kept dogs back home. But this wasn't an open, sunny street, it was a bone-strewn cave with nowhere to run. And the wolves were, well, wolfy, all tooth and growl without even the thin pretense at friendliness that dogs adopted while they waited for you to give them an excuse to bark.

Come to think, the dogs back home hadn't liked her much either.

Em backed away, halfheartedly drawing her homemade slingshot and spinning it in front of her in the faint hope that it would dissuade it from biting.

Draw sling (move action), 5-foot step back, load sling (move action), total defense (standard). I believe that makes Em's AC 18, since she has ranks in Tumble.

Taren
2010-01-31, 05:08 PM
2| | | |FH| | | | |
3| | | | Art| || | |
4| | | |W3| |W2| | |
5|W1| | | | |Em| | |
6|Ansaksie| | |W5| | | |W4|
7| | | |Tyern| | | |Solaine|
8| | | | | | | | |
9|Talia| | | | | | | |[/table]

Initiative Order:
Solaine:21
Huggybug: 20
Em: 19
Art: 17
Talia: 16
Wolves: 15
Tyern: 10
Ansaksie: 8

(OOC: Battle Music: To listen to, open in new tab (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRGjiFb6Fw0))

Solaine murmurs an incantation as the wolves draw near, a glistening field of energy appearing around her as creatures with sharp, pointy teeth draw near. Her familiar is affected by a similar enchantment, glaring out at the beasts protectively. The dart of black flame she evokes strikes forward and smacks into it's target, provoking a loud yelp of pain and badly singeing it's muzzle. The scent of burnt fur and boiling saliva lingers around the beast even as it snarls up at her.

Mr. Huggybug recovers from his earlier flub, and the hound snarls and dives at Art's leg, "playfully" "nipping" (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2390496/) at it in a perfectly delicate and adorable nature which just happens to draw blood. The cute little sweetums digs in deep, fangs clenching down and piercing into skin and muscle tissue with a savagery only humanity could instill into an animal. (OOC: Art, you take 4 damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2390504/)) Fortunately, despite the pretty pet's particularly powerful fangs, Art manages to remain standing. (OOC: It's trip attempt failed)

Em, as previously noted, takes a step back, draws her sling, and gets ready to defend herself if necessary. Talia, a little bit later, slinks off into the shadows and readies her own sling.

Art, his ire roused by the silly tomfoolery of the creature with viselike jaws currently clamped around his leg, lashed out at the beasts around him, swinging once at each one. Both strikes hit home, the first one slicing along Mr. Huggybug's back, and the other one slamming into the supporting wolf's ribs. In reaction to the sudden burst of pain, Mr. Huggybug let go of it's opponent's leg.

The rest of the pack began to move, collective growls mixing with the din of battle. The wolf behind Art lunged forward at his one remaining leg, but the barbarian is ready for it, and gives it a quick kick in the snout to dissuade it from biting him. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2390536/) The wolf Ansaksie was retreating from pads forward and lunges at her, but miscalculated on how high to jump, and ended up going too low. Ansaksie easily sidesteps it's clumsy assault. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2390543/) Another member of the pack, a grizzled gray-furred creature with snow caking it's paws, barrels at Em, trying to nip at her delicious, delicious flesh (which is where she keeps her precious nutrients). However, she had wisely kept on her toes, and manages to hop over (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2390548/) it's snapping fangs as it tries to tear into her skin. The wolf Solaine burned, a blondish creature with a now charred face, snarled at her, trying to bite back with a vengence, but it's fangs aren't nearly enough (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2390550/) to break through the enchantment she's protecting herself with. The final wolf, a black-furred creature, dived forward at Tyern, who manages to dodge it at the last moment. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2390551/)

Tyern responds by invoking a tune that calls dragon's breath to mind in those that hear it, as they feel a strange power coursing through them. The tips of the weapons in the party practically bubble and hiss... (OOC: Like the bard said: Add 2d6 acid damage to your weapon damage rolls until further notice. I'm pretty sure this doesn't apply to spell damage, though. Sorry Solaine!)

Lastly, when faced with the threat of feral fighting, Ansaksie called forth the power of summer. Around her, the temperature seemed to rise, and the moss growing at her feet seemed to flourish, as she called upon her diety's favor.

The_Snark
2010-02-01, 02:19 AM
Right, well, this fellow isn't about to be driven off just 'cause he might get a bit of a thwack, Em thought. Now that the wolves were actually here and attacking she was remarkably calm. She couldn't try to run, on account of they were between her and the entrance, and anyway they'd only chase her, and they had more legs. Panicking wouldn't do her a lick of good, she reasoned. It would probably just get her et.

Only one thing for it: try and convince the wolf that the sling wasn't an empty threat. She took a step back so that it wasn't quite so close, reached out, and did her best to smack it on the nose with the stone in her sling.

Thwack!
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Acid [roll2]

Dhavaer
2010-02-01, 06:06 AM
"You should have stuck to chasing rats." Solaine quips as she charges another eldritch blast. She kicks at its snapping jaws and steps back before releasing the shot. (Five foot step to H8 and invoke eldritch spear at the wolf in H6. [roll0], [roll1].)

Catch
2010-02-04, 11:23 AM
One step, one swing. A boot scraped the cavern floor and a leather whip-crack ejected something from the shadows. Sharp eyes might have glimpsed a flash of the lead stone, glistening with an acrid sheen before it impacted the wolf ahead of the bard - a near-perfect kill.

Of course, the girl would have been a much better sniper if she didn't applaud her own shots.

"Hah! More sticks for the pile, ye slobberin' flea-supper!"

OOC:

Standard Action: Loose a sling stone at the wolf at D6. Thanks to Precise Shot, Talia takes no penalty to attack rolls targeting creatures engaged in melee. But she fails miserably when trying to re-hide (with the -20 modifier for sniping) 1d20-7= -5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2395243/)

Attack: 1d20+9=26 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2395234/)
Sling damage: 1d3+2=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2395237/)
Sneak attack: 2d6=9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2395240/)
Acid damage: 2d6=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2395242/)

Total: 22

Free action + Move Action: Talia draws and loads another sling stone.

PhoeKun
2010-02-06, 03:40 PM
Ansaksie looks at the wolf in front of her sadly, readjusting her grip on the mace in her hand. This was never the part of the job she enjoyed... particularly when it was wolves. Wolves are important somehow, she knew. Not important enough to become dinner for one, but still. Very important.

"I'm very sorry we can't be friends."

The warm air around her seems to contract upon her weapon as she steps into a swing, a small lick of flame trailing behind the weapon. If this had to happen, she was going to try to make it happen quickly. But, it's just so hard to strike a wolf...

OOC: Swift action - activate Burning Blade (now used for the encounter).

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Fire Damage: [roll2]
Acid Damage: [roll3]

Bariko
2010-02-06, 03:41 PM
Tyern

As the wolf crumpled in front of him, Tyern darted a glance towards the now visible halfling. With a quick nod, Tyern adjusted his aim, his voice still repeating the melody of the previous verse, his arrowhead glistening ever so slightly. Taking a steady aim, the bowstring released with a sharp twang. The arrow hissed through the air for just a moment before thudding into the wolf standing between Tyern and the half-orc. Sharp yelps and snarls of pain immediately burst from the animal, though it remained standing.

You'd think they'd run...

OOC
Attack on wolf at D4 23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2397441/)
Arrow damage 4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2397446/)
Acid damage 7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2397445/)
Total of 11 damage.

Insanity_Luc
2010-02-08, 08:53 PM
Art grunted a thanks as he whirled on the feral hound in front of him- it seemed to be the leader of the pack, and as such the biggest threat. This time he focused entirely on the one target, swinging his axe down for a mighty blow- the metal shining with acid.

(OOC: Art attacks the Feral Hound.
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Acid Damage [roll2])

Taren
2010-02-09, 08:50 PM
2| | | |Dead| | | | |
3| | | | Art| || | |
4| | | |W3| |W2| | |
5|W1| | | | |Em| | |
6|Ansaksie| | |Dead| | | |Dead|
7| | | |Tyern| | | | |
8| | | | | | | |Solaine|
9|Talia| | | | | | | |[/table]

Initiative Order:
Solaine:21
Huggybug: 20
Em: 19
Art: 17
Talia: 16
Wolves: 15
Tyern: 10
Ansaksie: 8

(OOC: Battle Music: To listen to, open in new tab (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBOs1VdW4og))

Solaine strikes at the wolf, who gives a strong yelp of pain. The creature staggers back, wavering in the face of the attack, and the last of it's strength gives out. Trembling, it falls over, last breaths escaping from it's muzzle. Mr. Huggybug growls and lunges again at Art, but miscalculates and bites uselessly at his armor (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2401104/), succeeding in nearly breaking a tooth and scratching up the finish a bit, but little else.

Em spins a sling bullet at her foe, the small stone now simmering with acidic energy. At first it looks like her strike misses entirely flying over the creature's ears and not even nicking them, and crashing into the wall nearby, where it ricochets off of it, striking another wall, and then flying straight into the very same wolf's rear end. It gives a yelp of pain and a loud whining noise, which quickly returns to an angry growl.

Art swings at the pretty-inaccurate Mr. Huggybug, his ax sweeping through the air, straight into him. The strike sweeps straight into the creatures chest, and with a loud, surprising "Squeeakie!" sound, Mr. Huggybug coughs, trembles, and falls over, his body going limp.

This has a nigh-instantaneous effect on the other canines. Several of them stop growling, and tails begin to droop. They're still fighting, but it seems like the heart has gone out of their efforts. As Talia hurls a sling bullet out of the shadows where she is attempting to hide, the creature only gives a half-hearted yelp and falls over, acid burning it's thin belly as it falls to stop moving.

It is at this that the remaining wolves turn to retreat. Their leader slain, the frightened wolves begin to pad out towards the entrance of their den. These two-leg creatures command fire and other strange forces, and the surviving wolves want no part in this odd man-behavior. A wolf passes Art and he swings at it (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2401134/), and the combined (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2401137/) damage (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2401138/) is just enough to fell the creature.

The remaining two wolves escaped out the sole entrance to the cave, terrified. Tyern tries to shoot at one of them, but the wolves have vanished far enough into the shadows ahead of them that he cannot get a clear shot at either of them.

The ground is now littered with slightly acid-burned wolf corpses. The group is, for the time being, alone.

Which begs the question... what now, brave heroes? What now?

Dhavaer
2010-02-10, 03:35 PM
"Well. That was invigorating." Solaine absently kicks a bone. "Shall we be going? I don't fancy breakfasting on wolf."

PhoeKun
2010-02-11, 10:44 PM
With her lupine foe retreating before she can strike a blow, Ansaksie lets her shoulders slump, her arm dropping to her side. Her sigh of relief is louder than she means for it to be.

With a few more seconds to think, she takes the time to make an actual look around her surroundings. Is that... hey, yeah it is! Lucky copper piece, all right! Smiling, she bends down to pick it up, straightening back up quickly with an awkward blush when her joints make loud cracking sounds in protest.

It was only natural after so many broken bones, but it never felt very appropriate or ladylike to be making that sort of noise, especially not in front of strange apparitions. Speaking of... running mental check. Nope. New faces, the lot of them.

"Excuse me, Ms. Dream Walker. Do you have a name? Or you others, slayers and spirits? Which of you took me here in the night?"

Dhavaer
2010-02-12, 08:29 AM
"Not me. If anyone here did, though, now would be the time to speak up before this goes too far." She looks around at the others. "No? Okay then. I'm Solaine, by the by."

Taren
2010-02-12, 05:50 PM
As Ansaksie bent over to pick up the copper piece, she was surprised to make a small discovery.

There were more of them.

There were, in fact, a number of small coins scattered along the ground, amidst pieces of torn leather and what looked to be bits of damp paper scattered along the floor.

The coins, when totalled, appeared to be about 19 gold and 14 silver completely.

The scraps of paper appeared to be bits of a note, which, when assembled, looked to be something like this:

(OOC: Ok, this did NOT come out the way I expected it to. You're just going to have to pretend this is a faded collection of bits of note. Apparently I such at MSpaint a lot more than I thought I did. Sorry)

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr212/Zobot257/Secretnotenote2.png

The_Snark
2010-02-12, 06:06 PM
Well! thought Em, if that's not a bit of luck right there I don't know what is. Lucky all these other folks were were too—or maybe that's not just luck. Only who'd go to the effort of making sure we're all together, then leave us in a cave full of wolves?

She wrapped her sling up into a loop again and stowed it in a pocket while she thought about that, absently listening to the others. Funny how whoever-it-was had stolen her blanket and (she now discovered) her money, but not her slingshot. She could see coins lying on the ground, though; maybe they'd been dragged and the money had fallen out of their—there! The little fiddle she'd taken when she left Pa, leaning upright against a rock on the floor next to where she'd been lying, casual as anything. She was glad to find it—Pa'd be mad as anything if she lost it, not that he wouldn't be mad at her for taking it and not that she was going back—but also thoroughly puzzled.

"I know I didn't take anybody anywhere," she said, staring at the fiddle. "An' I don't think I'm dreaming—least I never had a dream like this before."

Insanity_Luc
2010-02-12, 07:22 PM
The battle over, Art sighs slightly, bending to examine the fallen foe. They were in their den, after all, and it is hard to fault a creature for defending their home. At least there was no pups- he'd be obliged to raise them, and as is food is going to be sparse.

He quietly says a prayer in orcish, wishing the spirits of the animals slain a quick journey to the Fields of Glory- the lands of Always Green, where no one starved or froze or lost, and the game would spring back up on new feet evey day.

He wasnt a terribly religeous warrior, but it helped to have somethign to look forward to.

"I din't take no one anywhere, and I'm nae spirit." he said amicably, removing his fallen foes collar, and respectfully strapping it on his own upper arm. it seemed the least he owed the fallen hound.

He set about dragging the fallen wolves into one corner of the cave, examining them... well, the acidish bits weren't going to be any good, but he could probably get a few decent hanks off of them.

"I dun s'ppose anyone 'as a knife I can use? Unless any of ye spot better sources 'a food, I'm butcherin' what ah can, an buryin' r' burnin' what ah can't. Taint right t' leave 'em t' rot here. Them that ran might still wanna come back once we're gone."

He paused, and considered his Grandpappy's words of advice concernin' folks not of the clan and their... sensitivities. Best not to upset anyone.

"If any of yeh got weak stomach, yeh best speak up now s'os I can move."

Dhavaer
2010-02-12, 11:04 PM
Solaine slips her dagger from its hip sheath and passes it to Art. "Here. Me, I'll be waiting outside. See if I can recognise where we are." So saying, she steps carefully over the bones to the cave entrance, picking up a few coins from the ground along the way.

Taren
2010-02-15, 09:20 PM
(OOC: Ok, Art, make a survival check to see how well you can clean the bodies of the wolves. Also, people need to decide how the money the group has found is divided up.)

Solaine walks forward out of the cavern where the group found itself, her light source going with her, making the rest of the room darkened.

The cave goes on for a bit further... she can see signs that a pack of beasts of the obvious sort have been denning here for a long, long time. Near by, in the next cavern over, there is a pool of water with steam rising from it... a natural hot spring, with all the scents it entails. An immediate source of light catches her eye: an exit. An opening to the surface.

As she draws near it, the temperature around her noticeably starts to drop. A cold gust of wind sends a shudder down her spine.

(Open link in a new tab for music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI0Xuff-duQ&feature=related))

Solaine exited the cave, feeling snow underneath her boots as she drew near the entrance. The sun's rays took some adjustment to get used to, but she eventually found herself standing underneath a single mountain in a range, overlooking a large forested region spreading out around it, to the south. Snow caked the tips of the trees, and she could see smoke rising from what she could just make out as a small town to the southeast.

This motley crew had found themselves thrown into a land in the grip of winter.

Dhavaer
2010-02-16, 05:27 AM
Solaine looks wide-eyed around at the snow, then down at her skimpy, skimpy outfit and reptilian familiar. She'd heard of snow, but certainly never expected to see it when she'd picked these clothes out. Turning back toward the cave, she hurried toward the hot spring, before a thought struck her and she raced back to the boneroom.
"Wait!" she calls to Art, "Try and keep the pelts intact. There's snow out there far as the eye can see, we'll need them for warmth." She stops, takes a breath, and looks down again. "Also, the first person to comment on me 'perking up' gets it in the goolies."

Insanity_Luc
2010-02-16, 08:59 PM
Art swallowed a snort, and nodded.

"Ah'll do what I c'n- mind you, they won't be cured. So's yeh wanna wear it furn turned inwards." he said amiably, setting to his work. He would attempt to get the furs off intact, and also to try and get as much salvageable meat as he could. Whatever was left over he would bury outside in the snow.

(Survival check: 1d20+1=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2409475/))

Taren
2010-02-16, 09:11 PM
Art bends over and tends to the pelts utilizing the dagger he borrowed.

It's unfortunately slow going. The acid did not leave the bodies in a tremendously good condition, and in previous tribal hunting expeditions, there had always been someone ELSE who would clean the kills, so he had little practical experience. The pelts were practically ruined between the acid, Solaine's magic, and the weapon damage. Working as slowly as he could, he was able to scrap together enough material to make about one usable outfit out of all the fur and hide from the various wolves they'd killed, if it's stitched together. Hardly ideal, and a lot of the fur had to be wasted.

Gathering meat off the bodies was a little bit better. Between the various wolves, Art was able to pull together enough meat for a day of food, if split between the whole group. (Oddly enough, Mr. Huggybug had had what looked to be a bright yellow cartoonish caricature of a duck inside his stomach... the thing was badly chewed and worn, but squeeked when squeezed. Where it came from or why it was in his tummy may be unknown save to the fates.)

Insanity_Luc
2010-02-16, 09:21 PM
Art picked up the odd toy duck, and absent mindedly cleaned it with some snow. he set side the meat and fur he;d managed, and dragged the wolf corpses outside to bury them in snow. He made sure it was far enough away from the cave, and tried to find a hollow against the stone, piling the wolves atop one another, with their leader on top. He respectfully placed the toy on top, and said a small prayer before beginning to pack the snow around them. Some creature more desperate then they might have need of the meat.

PhoeKun
2010-02-18, 10:06 PM
"...Ei yah, look at that! How beautiful!"

Ansaksie's eyes shimmer as she stares out at the snow. The only other time she'd seen it was on a hike up a really tall mountain, but that wasn't anything like this. What a marvel! She makes a note to thank whichever person it was that brought her here. She still favors the theory that it was one among these strange folks... or else maybe the wolves. It was their cave, after all... they seemed like the angry kind of wolf, but maybe that's because they were tired from dragging so many people so far in one night. It's enough to make her feel a little more uneasy about them being skinned and harvested for meat.

But that was soon forgotten amidst the wonders of the frozen land around her. She takes a deep breath, smiling at the sight of the frosty exhalation. It would be some time before it really occurred to her to be cold.

Dhavaer
2010-02-19, 10:38 PM
Solaine eyes the pile of fur and hide. She weaves a pattern with her fingers and brings it together with a few words, and shortly the furs a cleaned of blood and acid stains, and smell faintly of jasmine rather than gore. She pulls the biggest piece around her shoulders, fur side in as Art said, and goes back to join teh others by the cave entrance. At least her boots were nice and long...

The_Snark
2010-02-20, 04:15 AM
No matter how bad things get, Em told herself, they could always be worse. I might of been robbed, kidnapped, and nearly et by wolves, but at least I wasn't sleeping in my underthings like that poor lady.

As the tusky fellow—Art, that was right, she'd remember the name on account of it being funny that he didn't look at all like a piece of art—carved up the wolves, she tried not to watch too closely. To distract herself, she tried to find something she could use to stow her fiddle in, so she didn't have to carry it in her hand all the time. That was how she found the copper pieces, and reasoning that you couldn't have too much money, 'specially not right after being robbed, she started picking the rest of them off the floor of the cavern.

It was while she was doing this that she found the torn-up note.

She ventured outside once she'd found all that she could and pieced them together, holding them carefully in her hand so the wind didn't snatch them away. "Here, look what I found—there's little bits of paper all over the ground in there. I couldn't find all of them, but I put 'em together, and it's a letter, talking about an old war and a meeting spot and somebody getting suspicious. I don't s'pose it's any of yours?" she asked eagerly, figuring she'd found a clue.

If only she knew what it meant.

Taren
2010-02-23, 08:37 PM
With the immediate threat defeated, the party found themselves with a much less distinct, yet still looming problem to deal with:

Free time.

The sun was rising into the sky, and the question begged: What would they do now?

Bariko
2010-02-25, 08:12 PM
Tyern

Tyern had remained somewhat quiet after the battle, waiting patiently for the acid on his arrowheads to fade before retrieving them. He was pleasantly surprised when Art set about skinning the wolves, albeit not very well, and getting meat. As he waited, humming softly to himself, he took note of the girl gathering the coins off the ground. Bending over and grabbing the arrow he'd lodged in a wolf carcass, Tyern pulled it out and flashed a knowing smile towards the girl as she gathered the coin, but she'd moved on to some bits of paper. Putting his ammunition away - he'd somehow lost a fair amount - Tyern took a deep drink from his flask before his attention was caught by a fiddle standing there alone. Before he could voice his curiosity, the girl had started to explain what the paper was - a note.

A flicker of recognition crossed copper eyes as the girl explained the tattered note to the group. The half-orc had buried the rest of the wolf corpses and gave the pelts to the less... insulated girl. Tyern joined the group at the entrance, as a bit of snow fell from the cave's wall next to him. He piped up at the girl's inquiry about the note, "It's not mine... But I think you ought to hang onto it, all the same."

"So," he continued, "we've got no idea where we are, or how we got here." Tyern closed his eyes for a moment, unscrewing his flask. "And I'm less and less convinced any of this is a hangover, thank whichever god that would be," he muttered as he took a swallow. "Well, since it's cold, and the only thing in sight is there," he pointed at the town in the distance, "it seems obvious that we should move that way. Better than separating and all getting lost, no? So, let's try this again." Tyern smiled at the group in genuine goodwill. "I'm Tyern. Pleased to meet you all."

Dhavaer
2010-02-26, 05:29 AM
"Agreed, agreed." Solaine says as she huddles just inside the cave mouth, stamping her feet and pulling herself into her piece of wolf pelt, newly warmed by her spell. "Let's go. I'd like the proverbial witch's tit to stay so." She starts off southeast, leaving melting snow in her bootprints.

Taren
2010-02-27, 07:37 PM
The motley crew of unlikely adventurers began a slow trek down a mountain, which was, in and of itself, surprisingly perilous. In a complete quirk of fate, there were no avalanches, no falling rocks, and and not even a single icy cliff face to scale. It was as if all the natural challenges of the environment had taken a lunch break at the exact same time.

Ok, there was a rather unpleasant encounter with an angry mountain goat, which led to a rather unfulfilling conversation about whether such creatures were even indigenous to frozen northern wilderness regions or not. But aside from that, the group managed to get down without even a nasty case of frostbite.

The mountain itself sloped downward into a thick coniferous forest, with a vast selection of pine trees of all shapes and sizes welcoming the travelers into their prickly embrace. There was a light breeze flowing through the forest, causing the trees to rustle and flakes of snow to scatter off of the branches around them as the group traveled in the direction of the rising smoke they'd seen. The trip seemed to drag on, as they shivered in the cold air and felt the wind rush along their bodies. But they persevered.

And eventually they came to what resembled a small village. In vague ways. There were houses, and even a few of them with glass... it was hard to tell for sure, however, because of a rather large, ramshackle wooden fence that had been built around the village. It really wasn't very well crafted; there were gaps between a number of the wooden trunks that had been strapped together, and the entire thing looked like it had been constructed by people who knew next to nothing about woodcrafting.

A man wearing what appeared to be a dented pot on his head peered over a large wooden gate, lashed together with straps of leather. "Dah!" He ducked down under the gate again. "Sir! Sir! There's people outside tha first line'a defense! I... I tink dey might be invaders!" he whispered to an unseen other person urgently.

Dhavaer
2010-02-27, 10:29 PM
Cold weather: [roll0]

"Invaders? We're freezing, that's what we are. Open up!"

Taren
2010-03-02, 05:33 PM
The man's head poked back up to glance at the group, fearfully. "Oi'm the doorman, ah can't just l-let anybody in! 'O-ow do ah knows you ain't here t'rape our wurdly p-possessions an' t-take our women? E-er, Ah mean, "'O-ow do ah knows you ain't here t'rape our women an' t-take our wurdly p-possessions?" He poked his head back under the door. "T-there's bandits out thare, ya know!"

There seemed to be a furious whispering exchange between two people on the other side of the ramshackle wall after the man had vanished back beneath it.

"Darn it, Aric! Just pick an accent and stick with it or don't use one at all, son! And unlock the doors already!"

"Ah can't, sir! Es too risky!"

Dhavaer
2010-03-03, 03:19 AM
Solaine considers the question for a moment. "I don't know how you know that, but clearly you must be very intelligent to have worked that out so soon after meeting us. So since we aren't here to rape or pillage, as you so cunningly realised, how about letting us in?"

Bluff: [roll0]

Taren
2010-03-08, 10:18 PM
There was silence behind the door for a moment.

Then, a hesitant voice eventually spoke up. "W-well... o-ok... I guess, iff'n yew ain't really h-here to cause trouble."

There was a clicking sound and the gates slide open with a loud, indignant creaking sound, which sounded oddly similar to an old man protesting the abuse of his brittle old man hip. As the gate flopped open, it lurched, and fell off the hinge completely.

Behind it were standing two men. The first was tall, clad in worn, yet polished chain mail armor, with a long sword strapped to his back and a rather annoyed expression on his face. The other man was wearing a metal pot over his head, and various pads sewn into a threadbare green shirt. He looked at the gate and panicked. "Oh! Oh... oh dear..." he ran over to the gate, trying to pull it back up.

The other man signed. "Get that gate back up, Aric. It'll give you something to do, at least." He stepped forward. "Welcome to Alagir, strangers. We've not much to offer in such times, but there's an inn and a tavern near the north wall of the town, and a general store the blacksmith's wife runs. My name is Boris. Outside the wall, the law is man's strength. Inside the wall, the law is me. Cause trouble and as the Consul's representative I will deal with you." he sighed. "The last thing I need is more trouble." He turns and started walking off.

(Ok... we're now entering a town. If people have anything they want to do before we move on, let me know. Private shopping or other matters can be resolved in-game or via chat or PM. If anyone has any questions for Boris or Aric, feel free as well. When everyone is done, we'll move forward.)

The_Snark
2010-03-09, 12:04 AM
"... Reckon you'll want to buy some clothes?" Em said to the wolfpelt-clad Solaine. "I got some money off the floor of that cave, and I figure I ought to share, seeing as it ain't rightly mine. And I could do with a warm cloak or a blanket, too. Don't know 'bout anybody else."

Dhavaer
2010-03-09, 04:45 AM
"I can't believe that that worked." Solaine murmurs to herself. "Clothes? Of course, but first let's warm up at the forge. I imagine it'll be next to the general store if the blacksmith's wife runs it."

Insanity_Luc
2010-03-11, 08:55 PM
Art glanced around, finding himself quietly annoyed at the state f the fence. Seemed to him it could hardly keep out a stiff breeze, let alone 'Invaders'. He glanced at the girls, and nodded.

"Mn, the forge sounds fair... keep th' coins, I'll see what might need bein' done worth a little trade." he said, shivering a little. He'd been trained to deal with cold, aye, but not without some furs... and he hadn;t the heart to take any from the underdressed lass.

He sneezed, frowning. "A coat, for one bloody thing. Lead on, lasses."

(Cold Damage 1d6=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2438409/))

Bariko
2010-03-13, 03:56 PM
Tyern

((Man, late, even after my promises. I'm really not good at this whole.... posting thing))

The half-elf raised an eyebrow almost perfectly in sync with the word "tavern". Flashing a smile, Tyern nodded respectfully at the man called Boris. "No trouble from us, sir, don't worry about that," he laughed. "Though, I'm assuming we all want rooms to stay in, yes?" he asked his... friends? Companions? Comrades? No, companions was right. "So, why don't I go rent us some rooms? I might need a little coin for that, though," he turned to the girl who'd collected the money from the cave. Holding out his hand with a happy-go-lucky smile, he shrugged. "Makes sense, right? So I'll head to the north side and check out the taveerrr- I mean the pub... Dammit. Slipping up with words sounds like something some guy named Froid would do. Anyways, I'll go to the inn, then maybe check out some shops and then, yes, I'll wind up at the tavern. Anybody not want a room?"

Taren
2010-03-16, 07:43 PM
-At the Forge-

(Note: I'm assuming that Solaine and went to the forge. If anyone else went with her, let me know)

The door opened to a warm burst of air that was, for the freezing traveler, quite refreshing. And she had been right, it was indeed right next to the general store.

A bearded man looked up at her, strands of gray starting to run through his hair. "Oi... customers, is it? What can I do for ye?"

The_Snark
2010-03-24, 02:12 AM
"Just three rooms to share, mind!" called Em at Tyern's retreating back. "We don't have that much!"

Would he listen? She hoped so; she didn't much fancy the idea of having to beg or play for her supper. But she had a sharp eye for telling when someone was careful with money, and the musicker didn't seem that sort at all. She wondered if all good players were like that; they could always get more coin, just by doing what they would've done anyway.

Well, maybe it'd be all right, so long as he wasn't a drunkard.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Just a place to warm up if you don't mind, we've just arrived and we're froze half to death," Em said cheerfully—far too cheerfully than somebody who is froze half to death ought to be, by rights. "Promise we won't get in the way."

Bariko
2010-03-24, 06:23 PM
Tyern

Tyern gave a nonchalant nod and wave of the hand to the girl who he still didn't know the name of, frustratingly enough. The group had only fought together, travelled together, and froze on a mountain together, yet Tyern barely knew anything about them. Not even names, except for Art. Ah well.

Tyern hit what had to be the north wall of the city and paused before shrugging and picking a direction at random. Wandering, after all, was his business. A grin flashed as Tyern stumbled upon a three story building boasting a faded sign reading "The Weary Traveler". Taking a swig from his flask, his mouth turned slowly into a pleasant smile as he entered.

The smile seemingly affixed to his face, Tyern approached the disgruntled man behind the bar.

"Fine day to you, friend! I'm looking for rooms for the night. Three would be good, we'll share," Tyern paused for a moment. "Wait, was the halfling.. whatever. Yes, three rooms would be excellent!" The left corner of his mouth turned up and copper eyes narrowed slightly. "But, we are travelers, new to the area. Any sort of discount you could give me on the rooms would be greatly appreciated. I'd be willing to work or sing for a discount, if that's a preference. What do you say?"

Taren
2010-03-24, 07:00 PM
-The Tavern-

The man behind the bar looked up at Tyern. "Hmmph... I reckon we could stand some music tonight when more'a the regulars come in, if you've a decent voice or some skill with an instrument. With business so slow, 'twood be no harm in putting up three rooms for the night as payment if you can stir a crowd. Are ye all traders? We haven't got many lately, what with the war and all. I'm surprised you'd be up this far north..."

He paused and scrubbed a glass. "Well, go on, then. If I'm going to be opening the stage to you tonight, and the rooms to your friends and yourself, I want to know what I'm hiring first. Perhaps you could demonstrate your skills with song or tune for us all?"

He watched Tyern, expectantly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

-In the forge-

The smith looked back at Em, pausing. "Yew can stay as long as ye wish... no harm innit, as far as I can see... Don't have much t'sell, though. Bandits took most of me metal stores, and few traders 'coming this far north nowadays t'replenish 'em."

The man paused and looked at her, inscrutibly. "Aaactually... can yew hold a blade? Knows ye any combattery 'r somesuch?"

The heat of the building was a welcome change to the temperature of the outdoors.

Dhavaer
2010-03-24, 11:26 PM
Solaine lowers her furs and shuffles gratefully towards the forge, getting as close as she can without bothering the smith or cooking. "Mmm... this is won-der-ful..." She turns slowly on the spot to ensure an even coverage. "Bandits? Are they why the gate was... well, I hesitate to say it was guarded, but..."

The_Snark
2010-03-25, 12:23 AM
"Well, I figure I could hold one." Em perched herself on an unused bench near the smith's bench in the corner. "I mean it's not hard to tell which end goes in your hand, and which one goes in the other fellow. I don't expect I'm actually any good at it, though."

"Why d'you ask?"

PhoeKun
2010-03-26, 04:04 PM
At this point, the wonder and novelty of the wintry land had long since worn out. Ansaksie is forced to contend with a very simple truth, a new entry for her list... namely, that she is absolutely, miserably cold. Her exposed left arm feels maybe two steps shy of numb, and hangs limply at her side. Actually, this is a fair bit worse than she'd anticipated. The long chill seemed to bring all of her old injuries slinking out of the past. She can feel each fang, sword, spear, and porcupine needle as if it were sticking out of her frail, abused body again. She turns her gaze longingly to the sky, stopping to wonder why it was that the sun seemed so very far away.

When at last she is shaken from her reverie, she notices that everyone has gone off... er... somewhere. She sniffles. Probably to the inn, then. She heads off in t

Warm thoughts, now, warm thoughts...

What she overhears as she crosses the threshold of the place returns the light to her eyes.

"You'll be singing for our rooms, Sir Tyern? How gallant!"

She smiles warmly in his direction, taking a few steps further in and away from the evil, evil weather outside.

Taren
2010-03-30, 06:28 PM
-At the Forge-

The smith nodded at Solaine's comment. "Aye. Tha war down south drew away all've our good men, an' the opportunities fer plundering what's left's got tha bad men out pillagin' and plundering. Most a'me metal supplies 've been used already, an the shipment a'iron I was waiting on got stole before it got here. And it's not just bandits, but stories a'worse creeping out there... and to make matters worse, my accent keeps flickering on and off."

He sat up and turned away from his anvil. "So here's me proposal. Yer both travelers, an' travelers wandering around here in this time's gotta be tough. If either of ye can retake my metal shipment from those brigands, I'll reward ye, ya can be sure of it."

Insanity_Luc
2010-03-30, 07:54 PM
Art had followed the girls to the forge, and waited outside the door- he was still being cautious about the people in the village. He;d had some self awareness smacked into him a few times- and as far as he could guess, a paranoid village wasn't going to be happy about a tall, fanged, greenish man with an overgrown axe.

He overheard the discussion, and decided it was time to step inside- a decision that had nothing to do with his F'knar freezing off, honest.

"Just point th' way to the bandits, smith. I have need of some gear... if y' girls dun't mind sharing the task." he rumbled, tilting his head a little. Hunting bandits sounded more fun then heavy work...

Dhavaer
2010-03-30, 08:43 PM
Solaine shrugs and smiles. "It's what I'd be doing anyway. I'd be happy to help, so long as I can get something to keep me warm out there."

The_Snark
2010-04-07, 10:18 PM
Sometimes Em wondered whether people even noticed her age. Not that she wanted to be treated like a little girl, not in the slightest. But maybe there was some happy medium, some attitude that lay comfortably between "go back inside and play with your dolls, little miss, this is too dangerous for the likes of you" and "welp, here's your sword, off to the front lines with you"? Perhaps people around here grew up unusually fast (and vicious).

Art, now, it made sense to ask him. Em went into tagalong mode without even really thinking about it. "Well, I reckon we could give it a try, Mr. Smith. I'm not much good with a sword myself, but Art here is an' the rest aren't bad. Only thing is, we don't have proper clothes to go out in the snow, and not much money to buy 'em with neither.... I heard your wife runs the general shop next door—I don't s'pose there's any chance you could spare us some?"

Taren
2010-04-10, 07:42 PM
-At the Smith's-

"Oh, the poor dears need something to help stay warm in the cold, do they?"

The Smith's wife was standing behind them, just close enough so that someone really should have noticed her before. She'd just somehow gotten right behind them without anyone hearing or sensing her movement.

She was an elderly lady, swaddled in clothing that left her body type indiscriminate. She leaned down and wrapped a heavy fur coat around Em's body. "I'm sure if I poke around in the old store I can find something to suit you and each of your friends... and I have some nice rabbit stew warming up for you, little dear." She smiled at Em as if the girl was 8 years old. "We can provide you with food and warm clothing, and perhaps an old weapon or two if we have one laying around. What would you like?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

(The Inn situation will be updated once Tyern posts!)

Dhavaer
2010-04-11, 05:50 AM
Solaine is far too content glorying in the heat of the forge to be disturbed by mysteriously appearing old women. "Mmm? Food and clothing will do me fine, thank you. Weapons aren't really my idiom."

Taren
2010-04-12, 08:12 PM
-At the Smith's-

The woman smiled at Solaine. "Of course, miss! For you? I believe we have an outfit of white fox fur that would be quite... form fitting. I'm sure you'll be very pleased!"

(The general store can provide you all with custom cold weather outfits, although you'll have to return them at the end of your bandit excursion unless you decide to buy them eventually. Or steal them, hypothetically)

Insanity_Luc
2010-04-12, 09:18 PM
Art shivered a little, and looked down at his own outfit. He diddn't go in for the fur loincloth style of barbarianism, but it still was hardly appropriate.
"Ach... ah'll need some clothes, to be sure- something in th' fur cape r' coat perusuasions... an; if yeh have some decent pants 'r boots I'd be obliged. I dun need naught more but my Axe..." he said, nodding and hefting it.

"Otherwise, I'd like t' request a' some a' my reward be goin' t' th' littler one. Warrior a' nae, she's still a tich young, an' I'm used t' 'ard travelin'." he said, pointing at Em.

Normally he wouldn't say anything- there were little ones back at home, and young ones- and the kind who'd fight and tumble hated being pointed to any differently then an Adult. But out here...

Dhavaer
2010-04-13, 06:30 AM
Solaine smiles back. "That sounds perfect! I'd love to see it."

Taren
2010-04-14, 07:26 PM
-At the Smiths-

The woman smiled and nodded and walked off, returning with an armful of various bits of clothing. "Here's the garb I promised for you, miss... White Fox fur, just as I promised. It's just a little bit old..."

She smiled and handed Solaine a large fluffy cloak, a pair of warm pants, and a top. And they DID all seem to be made of white fox fur, but it had grown quite gray with all the dust it had accumulated.

She turned to Art. "And here's some things for the large br- er, the large man. Thick woolen pants and a coat made of leather and racoon fur sewn on the inside. It should keep the wind off of you... she smiled insincerely.

Bariko
2010-04-14, 10:21 PM
Tyern

((OOC, actual song lyrics will be up when I'm back at my home. I think I know the song I want, but it's in a book on my shelf))

Tyern started a bit, not having noticed the girl behind him. With a smile, the half-elf nodded. "Hardly gallant," he chuckled, "it's simply how I work." Turning back to the bartender, Tyern shrugged. "It's a fair request, I suppose." Taking a breath, soft tones started to flow like honey. If one closed their eyes, the sound was almost rich enough to feel, with just a hint of something unusual.

As the dulcet tones faded from the air, Tyern smiled again as he looked at the man across the counter. "And of course I'll have a lot of drinking songs," he grinned.

Perform check 25 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2480297/)

Dhavaer
2010-04-15, 07:15 AM
"Mmm. That looks much warmer." Solaine takes the bundle and promptly sneezes. "I might dust it off a bit first, though." Solaine weaves the spell's pattern again, and the furs are quickly whitened again.

PhoeKun
2010-04-15, 05:55 PM
Hearing Tyern play for the first time without being threatened by wolves, Ansaksie allows herself a moment to be swept up in the experience. She closes her eyes and smiles, taking a deep breath and reminding herself that these are exactly the sorts of things that make all the trials and danger worthwhile.

"What could be more gallant than using your talents to help people you've only just met? You're a kind person, don't be modest. Working for our rooms. I can't even repay you for this, and you don't know my... oh my gosh!" Suddenly, she appears mortified.

"I'm so sorry, I should have remembered sooner. You can call me Ansaksie. It's so embarrassing that I forgot to tell you..."

Taren
2010-04-18, 04:59 PM
-At the Inn-

The bartender... innkeeper... bar-keeper listened, raising his eyebrows. "Hm. Best singing I've heard since the traveling Aurora Singer group passed through. Alright. I've got three rooms. You've got some people traveling with you, you sing tonight, you can have 'em. An' any tips you can gather. Sound fair?"

Taren
2010-04-22, 07:37 PM
(Ok... Scene Transition!)

With the group having negotiated sleeping quarters for the night, as well as use of warm outfits for those willing to go off and fight bandits, the party turns in for the evening, enjoying a performance by Tyern and several amusing yet not-narration-worthy townsfolk NPCs.

That evening, the performance had even earned them each their supper: A hearty bowl of pork-and-potato-with-unidentifiable-Ihopetogodthatgreenstuffisjustdriedcabbage stew. After a good night's meal, the group turned in for the night.

Come morning, they were faced with a new problem... having accepted the task to find bandits, how would they go about doing so?