PDA

View Full Version : Epic-Level Empire Invasion(3.5)

PersonMan
2010-01-23, 08:10 PM
Alright, the PCs in my campaign are going to be uncovering what is effectively an epic-level empire on another plane. The generic foot soldier is around CR 19, and they're going to be fighting one. Thereafter the BBEG so far will come to them and explain how everything he has been doing is to build a world that can resist such an invasion. However, I've been wondering...what would it take to stop such an invasion? I've yet to stat out anything other than the generic foot soldier, but I want to know how such a force could be stopped in a quasi-generic DnD world.

Daefos
2010-01-23, 08:14 PM
Have the army be a hive-mind controlled by the BBEG? If the players take him out, just say the army goes brain-dead.

Tavar
2010-01-23, 08:23 PM
Is epic magic in play as written?

If yes, only Epic Magic that was started at the same time can succeed.

If no, well, then there will at least be the possibility of a fight. On the other hand, if the army is really made of CR 19s, then the only real hope would be an equivalent force or a way to block them.

chiasaur11
2010-01-23, 08:24 PM
Have the army be a hive-mind controlled by the BBEG? If the players take him out, just say the army goes brain-dead.

Ah, classic there.

Worked for X-Com. It can work for you.

PersonMan
2010-01-23, 08:28 PM
I'm not really sure about epic magic at this point.

I'm thinking that the PCs will need to block their entrance portals, or sabotage their means of creating these portals.

The hive mind idea doesn't really fit with what I was thinking for these things, but I guess it could work.

Tavar
2010-01-23, 08:30 PM
How about the BBEG of the Campaign be trying to do a ritual which would make it impossible for the Empire to invade? But it requires lots of innocent souls, or something, do create it?

pffh
2010-01-23, 09:18 PM
If you have access to the elder evils then say something like pandorym could be used to stop them and the BBEG could be trying to release him.

If you don't have access to the elder evils Pandorym is an ancient god killing spirit from the plane between planes and releasing it would kill all the gods... so that's pretty BBEG, I guess.

faceroll
2010-01-23, 10:04 PM
If you have access to the elder evils then say something like pandorym could be used to stop them and the BBEG could be trying to release him.

If you don't have access to the elder evils Pandorym is an ancient god killing spirit from the plane between planes and releasing it would kill all the gods... so that's pretty BBEG, I guess.

That's a cool idea. Fight fire with fire.

PersonMan
2010-01-23, 10:15 PM
How about the BBEG of the Campaign be trying to do a ritual which would make it impossible for the Empire to invade? But it requires lots of innocent souls, or something, do create it?

Sounds good-and it fits with the general modus operandi of the BBEG and his people so far.