PDA

View Full Version : Which should my friend take?

Doomboy911
2010-01-23, 10:12 PM
Well my groups DM has the idea that we'll get a new DM so he wants to make his character who will eventually become an assassin. Now I think it would be a bit better for him to be a samurai for the ancestrial weapon and all its effects. Though its a bit of a problem considering our group: one barbarian warforged,one dashingly handsome bard, a druid, a shifter rogue and a changeling paladin. Now everyone is a chaotic, good minus the paladin (Who is surprisingly okay with our actions). So should he run as an assassin or a samurai?

AslanCross
2010-01-23, 10:16 PM
If he's the kind of assassin who is not necessarily evil (say, a sniper in the army) then I don't think there will be party conflict. The base Assassin in the DMG brings the baggage of working for an evil assassin's guild. This would be subject to the DM's approval.

As long as it's the OA Samurai it's decent; I'd go instead with Warblade/Kensai.

Keld Denar
2010-01-23, 10:38 PM
Open Tome of Battle: Book of 9 Swords to the Swordsage section, allow him to read it, then show him a couple of the Shadow Hand maneuvers.

He'll never want to play an assassin again, not when he can Shadow Garote or Cloak of Deception or Strength Draining Strike or other "assassin" style attacks.

elonin
2010-01-23, 10:54 PM
For a better party fit you might show him the swashbuckler, but the answer falls to him and the dm (if he really wants assassin). To keep closer to the rogue thing I'd point him toward shadow dancer.

AslanCross
2010-01-23, 11:43 PM
The shadowdancer doesn't even advance Sneak Attack. It's just a guy who can use shadow-fu, albeit rather ineffectively. If the player wants a character who messes around with shadows and kills people, a Shadow Hand swordsage is the same thematically and would be much better at it too.

Lycanthromancer
2010-01-23, 11:45 PM
The shadowdancer doesn't even advance Sneak Attack. It's just a guy who can use shadow-fu, albeit rather ineffectively. If the player wants a character who messes around with shadows and kills people, a Shadow Hand swordsage is the same thematically and would be much better at it too.I second (and third, and fourth, since I was ninja'd prior to even posting) shadow-hand swordsage. If he wants he can even multiclass, since ToB is incredibly multiclass-friendly. Factotum (or rogue)/swordsage is amazing.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-24, 12:22 AM
Swordsage is a good option, but suggesting it is making the rather bold presumption that his DM is going to allow the use of ToB, a book that has a notable number of nay-sayers. If the DM waves or at least alters the Assassin class' alignment restriction, then there shouldn't be any problem. While not overly-powerful, the Assassin is a reasonably solid class that got a *lot* of support in splats.

Doomboy911
2010-01-24, 07:28 AM
Well he could multiclass as both since he'd get the benefits from both sides.

Amphetryon
2010-01-24, 07:57 AM
If he wants an Assassin in a group with a Paladin - and the heartily recommended Swordsage isn't an option - see if the DM will allow WotC's Avenger (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070401a) rewrite, for the sake of the Paladin. It was by all accounts an April Fool's joke, but not a significant shift in either power or function from the Assassin PrC, while avoiding the Evil alignment that will cause strife with the party's stick in the mud Paladin.