PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Amoth Reborn, Part 2

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-23, 10:25 PM
Now that I've resolved some of the creative issues I was having, I'm going to make a very crude stab at an avenger/invoker multiclass centered around resurrecting the dead god Amoth. For those of you who haven't read my previous thread on this, here's the basic info:

Those of you familiar with the 4e cosmology (especially if you've read Manual of the Planes and Divine Power) might be familiar with the dead god, Amoth. In the distant past, Amoth was a power of justice and mercy, ruling from his dominion, Kalandurren. All that changed, however, when three demon princes, Orcus, Demogorgon and Rimmon, took advantage of a cosmological alignment and invaded Kalandurren. Amoth fought valiantly againts the demons, killing Rimmon in single combat and almost splitting Demogorgon in two. However, just as he was about to kill Demogorgon, Orcus snuck up behind Amoth and attacked. By the time the forces of the other gods arrived to drive the demons out, it was too late. Amoth was dead.

Today, Kalandurren is a cold, barren husk of its former glory. The gold and silver orbs that provided the dominion its light have grown dim, and no one lives there anymore except the Doomguard, who settled there after their exile from Sigil. They see it as the perfect symbol of their beliefs that chaos will invariably destroy all that attempt to impose order upon the multiverse. There are also some straggling demons and lunatic cultists who wander the plane trying to unlock the powers of Rimmon, who is burried in a heavily-warded cairn on the plane. That's all the books say on Amoth and his existence.

I was hoping to make my character based off this somewhat. My idea is that before Amoth's plane was invaded, he foresaw his own fall, and asked his divine allies for help, by secreting away a portion of his divine soul. This soul-shard would eventually be placed in the body of a child born in the mortal world. He would slowly relearn who he was, and when the time was right, become Amoth once again, and take back his domain and place among the gods. Obviously I want this to be my character.

In the previous thread it was reccomended that I try an invoker, since some of the lore around them involves the exact process I imagined, as well as having some specific Amoth-oriented powers and paragon paths. However, I was also interested in something more like a paladin, which is my favorite character archetype. The problem with combining paladins and invokers however is that they're on completely opposite sides of the spectrum, each relying on ability scores and implements that are useless to the other class. However, someone else made the suggestion of an avenger instead of a paladin, which has a similar focus on combat, but is much more conducive to an invoker multiclass.

Obviously, this build will be very crude, as I'm at college at the moment and have no books to work from, so all my information will be coming from the CharOp handbooks over at the WOTC forums. With that in mind...here we go!

Amoth Reborn

Race: Half-elf
Class: Avenger, MC Invoker.
Paragon Path: Arbiter of Forgotten Justice
Epic Destiny: Avatar of Justice
Scales of War Background: Auspicious Birth

Starting Languages: Common, Elven, Draconic

Starting Stats: Str 11, Con 12, Dex 13, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 10.
Level 30 Stats: Str 13, Con 14, Dex 15, Int 25, Wis 25, Cha 12.

Ability Score Progression
4: +1 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom
8: +1 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom
11: +1 All
14: +1 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom
18: +1 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom
21: +1 All (+1 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom)
24: +1 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom
28: +1 Intelligence, +1 Wisdom

Trained Skills: Athletics, Heal, Perception, Religion, Insight (from Invoker Multiclass)

Feat Progression
1: Melee Training (Wisdom)
2: Weapon Proficiency (fullblade)
4: Focused Expertise
6: Invoker Multiclass feat (which I can't remember the name of)
8: Power of Justice
10: Immediate Justice
11: Versatile Master
12: Armor Proficiency (leather)
14: Amoth's Grace
16: Avenging Surge
18: Multiclass Utility Power (which I can't remember the name of)
20: Reserve Maneuver
21: Divine Mastery
22: Punishing Radiance
24: Fist of Heaven
26: Multiclass Daily Power (which I can't remember the name of)
28: Righteous Focus
30: Epic Resurgence

Starting Powers: Overwhelming Strike (AW), Bond of Censure (AW), Day's First Light (E), Aspect of Might(D), Mantle of the Infidel (Dilletante)

Power Progression beyond level 1
2: Refocus Enmity (U)
3: Sequestering Strike (E)
5: Light of Truth (D)
6: Step of Fate (U)
7: Splinter the Formation (E)
9: Holy Ardor (D)
10: Leading Step (U)
11: Smiting Blades (E)
12: Favor the Faithful (U)
13: Weaving Blades (E)
15: Temple of Brilliance (D)
16: Temple of Seclusion (U) (Replace with Guidance of Heavenly Hands at level 18)
17: Vengeful Parry (E)
19: Blade of the Astral Hosts (D)
20: No Rest For The Wicked (D)
22: Ghostly Vengeance (U)
23: Phase Duel (E)
25: Executioner's Justice (D) (Replace with Penance of Amoth at level 26)
26: Whatever the utility power from Avatar of Justice is, I don't remember the name (U)
27: Scatter to the Astral Winds (E)
29: Merciless Nemesis (D)

Obviously this build will need a great deal of work, as I am inexperienced with building both avengers and invokers. I know Deva fits better as a race thematically and statistically, but judging by what I've seen of CharOp, if you want to play a multiclass character, Half-Elf is essential ever since Versatile Master appeared in the PHB 2. Any help in tweaking this setup would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I need some help figuring out how to roleplay this fella, and what his story is. Obviously I hope for him to become Amoth reborn, but that obviously won't happen until epic levels, so he's got to have some sort of beginning. I figured the Auspicious Birth background, from the Characters of War article would fit both thematically and give a nice boost (it lets you replace Constitution with your highest ability score to determine your 1st level hit points).

Furthermore, the article containing the Amoth-related invoker powers and the Arbiter of Forgotten Justice paragon path has a nice tidbit of fluff about Amoth's holdout worshipers:

Though many thousands of years have passed and even the gods have largely moved on and forgotten, some among the mortal beings refuse to abandon their memories of Amoth the Just. A god of justice and mercy, the Lord of Kalandurren was one of the greatest lights of the pantheon—until he was murdered by a trio of foul demon lords.

Only in recent years, however, have sages and religious leaders learned that some of the divine essence of Amoth—indeed, of many of history’s deceased gods—yet remains in the cosmos, spread throughout the reaches of the Astral Sea.

And that knowledge has brought with it the rise of a new cabal: invokers devoted to the memory and precepts of murdered Amoth. These secretive invokers channel, in part, the lingering might of Amoth, rather than drawing on the power of one or more deities. Called both the Adherents of Kalandurren and the Arbiters of Forgotten Justice, this cabal seeks to spread justice in Amoth’s memory—though interpretation of “justice” is, as always, an individual decision, and some members drift far from the path of the greater good. The cabal’s teachings are formally available only in a select few temples and monasteries, but rare invokers have stumbled upon these techniques on their own.

Given that avengers tend to be raised and learn their techniques in remote monastaries that are isolated from the main church and tend to have slightly unorthodox ways of looking at things, I think it would make sense if my character was raised by the Adherents of Kalandurren. The big issue however is how aware he should be of his destiny. Should the Adherents recognize his birth as a sign that he bears Amoth's divine spark, and thus have primed him throughout his life for it? Should it be a well-kept secret, that he only discovers through adventuring? How should he feel about his destiny? Scared? Intrigued? Excited? Furthermore, as an avatar, is he his own person distinct from Amoth, who will thus die when Amoth reappears, or is he essentially Amoth in a mortal body, and thus it will be a change, rather than a death?

I suddenly realize that I've played the same archetype for so long I have no idea how to roleplay a different one!

Any advice, help, or constructive criticism will of course be greatly appreciated. Thank you all very much for your help thus far and for your continued help in the future. :smallsmile:

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-24, 12:22 PM
No advice? TL;DR?

DabblerWizard
2010-01-24, 04:42 PM
Here's something that came to mind. If you're starting out as an Avenger, you'll likely want to decide which deity your character believes is the one true god worth fighting for.

I suppose it wouldn't be too meta-game-ish if you chose Amoth as your diety supreme.

I'm not familiar with the Adherents of Kalandurren or what they believe in.

It would actually be fairly interesting if you decided to be one of the few followers of Amoth... and later come to find out that you are Amoth reincarnate. Talk about affirming your devotion! Not only is your hard work appreciated, but your body becomes the vessel through which Amoth is reborn.

Your character would definitely become a hardcore follower of Amoth if he found a prophecy that stated that he will be the bodily avatar of Amoth.

You might also decide to leave that final realization for a later date, so it has even more value. But you could still build up the character's recognition of his importance over time. Maybe your character receives a vision from Amoth himself, (if that's possible), telling him that his hard work is appreciated. That alone would be enough of a cookie, that it would throw any devout follower into a happy day frenzy.

On a seperate note, in my opinion, it seems thematically awkward for an avenger to become an invoker.

It makes sense to say that a devout avenger is rewarded by the direct influence of his deity, and thus receives invoker powers. Yet it seems more appropriate, for a divine follower to receive his invoker calling early on in his life. If he was pre-destined to become an invoker, the deities wouldn't have waited for him to prove himself before giving him his powers.

I'm not especially familiar with invoker or avenger powers either, so I'll leave it to someone else to comment on their specific mechanical progression. Besides, the powers your character "receives" aren't as important as the non-combat actions he takes over the course of the campaign, if you ask me.

As far as roleplaying and background, you decide on a couple points in his background, and use some basic insight into figuring out how those experiences might lead to later behavior. Following that trend, some of your roleplay work will fall into your lap.

Let me give you an example.

Let's say you decide that your character was outright abandoned by his family as a child, for some reason. This is the single point you decide on blindly.

He remembers being disowned. He remembers the pain, and the loneliness.

He resents the monastery. He thinks of it as a prison that keeps him away from his family, who he desperately wants to return to. He would likely distrust the priests and not want to confide in them. If this negative mindset manifests as rude and obnoxious behavior, over time, the priests won't want to spend time sharing their thoughts with him, not unless they're very patient.

This might lead them to reject him, and essentially, be his second instance of emotional abandonment.

You could take this background and make your character a cloistered misanthrope. The theological lessons he received endlessly, did nothing to appease his pain. So at least initially, he scorns the gods, and only appreciates his avenger training from a purely martial point of view.

How would this kind of character react to learning about his destiny? Maybe he laughs at the very prospect. No way is it possible that someone like him is destined for divine greatness. So he forgets the destiny, or scorns it. Or considers it another yolk put around his neck. How dare the deities require him to become a vessel! Hasn't he suffered enough?!?

When you get to a point where you have multiple outcomes to choose from, fall back on your background, and choose a reaction that makes sense. Feel free to depend on your friends to toss ideas around.

Then you would decide on some event, or series of events, that change his point of view...

You can also certainly ask me, or other forum-goers, about the causality connecting your background and future personality traits.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-24, 04:52 PM
I'm not familiar with the Adherents of Kalandurren or what they believe in.

In my OP, the second quote describes the Adherents of Kalandurren, with text lifted directly from the article.

They're basically a cabal of mostly invokers that follows Amoth's precepts and draw their powers from the lingering strength of Amoth. They consider it their duty to travel the world, spreading justice in Amoth's name. They believe that Amoth may be dead, but that doesn't mean he should be forgotten.

DabblerWizard
2010-01-24, 05:01 PM
In my OP, the second quote describes the Adherents of Kalandurren, with text lifted directly from the article.

They're basically a cabal of mostly invokers that follows Amoth's precepts and draw their powers from the lingering strength of Amoth. They consider it their duty to travel the world, spreading justice in Amoth's name. They believe that Amoth may be dead, but that doesn't mean he should be forgotten.

Ah. That's obviously thematically appropriate then.

Any questions about the rest of my post?

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-24, 05:06 PM
I like the idea you mentioned about devotion and becoming even more fanatical after realizing his importance.

Part of what I'm wondering is his psychology given his double life. He's supposed to be Amoth's avatar in the world, but how exactly does his psyche divide between mortal and god? Is he himself up until the moment of resurrection, at which point he dies and Amoth is reborn as a completely seperate entity? Or is it more like a caterpillar to butterfly transformation, where it's not so much he carries Amoth in him as much as he IS Amoth slowly remembering his true identity, and thus retains his personality when he becomes Amoth?

Gan The Grey
2010-01-24, 05:59 PM
I think you are basically becoming Amoth, rather than just becoming a vessel for him. Or rather, you are Amoth, in sort of a larval form. I would view it almost like your character progression is basically programming; no matter what you choose to do with your character, development-wise, that is exactly what you are supposed to be doing. It's like you subconsciously know what paths you are supposed to take to become Amoth reborn, even if your conscious mind doesn't exactly know what it going on.

Also, if you are being raised by this group that follows Amoth, maybe there is an old prophecy containing a series of 'tests' that will ultimately prove a person to be Amoth reborn, and anyone and everyone who follows Amoth tries to go through these tests to see if that person is him. These tests could literally be tests - like having to single-handedly wrestle a manticore into submission - or they could coincidence type things - like born under the harvest moon or given three gold coins from the poorest man in town. So you basically go into your career as an adventurer with the silly hope that you'll be the one to live up to these tests, but as you strangely complete more and more of them, you start to get a little nervous about what it all may mean.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-24, 06:23 PM
I think you are basically becoming Amoth, rather than just becoming a vessel for him. Or rather, you are Amoth, in sort of a larval form. I would view it almost like your character progression is basically programming; no matter what you choose to do with your character, development-wise, that is exactly what you are supposed to be doing. It's like you subconsciously know what paths you are supposed to take to become Amoth reborn, even if your conscious mind doesn't exactly know what it going on.
So kind of like the flavor text for the Avatar of Justice epic destiny? The right and just thing to do becomes more and more automatic as you become more powerful, to the point where it's almost like a reflex. Like you don't need to deliberate or consider the morality of your decisions, because you instinctively know what the just course of action is?

Also, if you are being raised by this group that follows Amoth, maybe there is an old prophecy containing a series of 'tests' that will ultimately prove a person to be Amoth reborn, and anyone and everyone who follows Amoth tries to go through these tests to see if that person is him. These tests could literally be tests - like having to single-handedly wrestle a manticore into submission - or they could coincidence type things - like born under the harvest moon or given three gold coins from the poorest man in town. So you basically go into your career as an adventurer with the silly hope that you'll be the one to live up to these tests, but as you strangely complete more and more of them, you start to get a little nervous about what it all may mean.
I like this idea, and it's part of why I chose the "Auspicious Birth" background. I was thinking of maybe having his childhood be similar to a Jedi's from Star Wars. The Adherents of Kalandurren recieved a vision of the child that would become Amoth reborn, and when the conditions the vision stipulated were in place, they traveled to the place of the child's birth, and took him from his parents while he was still a baby. They raised him on the cabal's teachings and like Anakin Skywalker, paid close attention to his training because he was the "chosen one." Once his training was complete, they revealed the truth to him, and told him that in order to meet his destiny he must overcome various trials that will be revealed to him as his journey unfolds, and instruct him to go somewhere (wherever the campaign starts), but with express instructions never to reveal his destiny to anyone except those he knows in his heart of hearts that he can trust, as there are entities in the cosmos that would have Amoth remain dead. As he journeys on the campaign, he sees every trial he and the other PCs encounter through the lens of this prophecy, speculating to himself whether this is a trial that was destined for him.

However, he does run into some things along the way that may make him doubt, such as PCs and NPCs following more orthodox religions thinking he's foolish or insane for professing to worship a dead god, the sheer number of injustices that have happened and believing that they are his responsibility to correct, and perhaps even finding his real parents.

DabblerWizard
2010-01-24, 06:23 PM
Part of what I'm wondering is his psychology given his double life. He's supposed to be Amoth's avatar in the world, but how exactly does his psyche divide between mortal and god? Is he himself up until the moment of resurrection, at which point he dies and Amoth is reborn as a completely seperate entity? Or is it more like a caterpillar to butterfly transformation, where it's not so much he carries Amoth in him as much as he IS Amoth slowly remembering his true identity, and thus retains his personality when he becomes Amoth?

Gan The Grey's suggestion leads towards the idea that your character was always Amoth, except in a mortal body with retrograde amnesia. In this sense, your transformation from mortal to divine, was not only predestined, but preordained.

If you know a bit about Jungian psychology, you can refer to the "collective unconscious". Jung suggested that each of us carries pieces of our ancestry within us, in our minds. Not only in a genetic sense, but literally in a memory, and experiential sense, as well. We fear spiders, because our ancestors feared spiders, and that fear literally transferred from offspring to offspring.

You could say that your character is the "offspring" of Amoth. Though it might be cooler to say something to the effect that, Amoth's divine essence lingered on after his demise, and through serendipitous circumstances, a lesser aspect of his being came to coalesce into a mortal form, etc.

Similar to Gan The Grey's test idea, if your character already is Amoth, one of your ultimate goals would be to reclaim your former power, assuming it's somewhere to be found. Maybe Amoth prepared for such a demise by hiding away parts of his essence around the universe, protected by ancient guards and mystical secrets.

I would suggest that he has a standard human psyche, at first. Once he "becomes" Amoth again, it's entirely possible that his divine form has the ability to retain his mortal experiences. [Edit] In which case, his psyche expands exponentially, and becomes both more whole and known to him.

On a slightly darker tone, maybe your character believes that is the case, but in fact, the process of becoming divine is too much for his mortal body to handle. So, he loses his mortal body and mind entirely as he turns into a God.

Whether his mortal self is obliterated, or undergoes a spectacular metamorphosis, is completely up to you. Either idea is pretty cool.

DabblerWizard
2010-01-24, 06:35 PM
.... The right and just thing to do becomes more and more automatic as you become more powerful, to the point where it's almost like a reflex. Like you don't need to deliberate or consider the morality of your decisions, because you instinctively know what the just course of action is?

This is a pretty cool idea. If you go with that idea, maybe your mortal self finds it hard to handle "losing" your mortal mind to another force inside your head... expanding upon schizophrenia, for instance.

I like this idea, and it's part of why I chose the "Auspicious Birth" background. I was thinking of maybe having his childhood be similar to a Jedi's from Star Wars. The Adherents of Kalandurren recieved a vision of the child that would become Amoth reborn, and when the conditions the vision stipulated were in place, they traveled to the place of the child's birth, and took him from his parents while he was still a baby.

Your character sounds more and more like Jesus. :smalleek: Am I not allowed to say that, based on forum rules? Don't penalize me. :smallredface:

They raised him on the cabal's teachings and like Anakin Skywalker, paid close attention to his training because he was the "chosen one." Once his training was complete, they revealed the truth to him, and told him that in order to meet his destiny he must overcome various trials that will be revealed to him as his journey unfolds, and instruct him to go somewhere (wherever the campaign starts), but with express instructions never to reveal his destiny to anyone except those he knows in his heart of hearts that he can trust, as there are entities in the cosmos that would have Amoth remain dead. As he journeys on the campaign, he sees every trial he and the other PCs encounter through the lens of this prophecy, speculating to himself whether this is a trial that was destined for him.

However, he does run into some things along the way that may make him doubt, such as PCs and NPCs following more orthodox religions thinking he's foolish or insane for professing to worship a dead god, the sheer number of injustices that have happened and believing that they are his responsibility to correct, and perhaps even finding his real parents.

I'm personally not that fond of giving away the ending, so to speak. I would prefer a character that has to figure things out on his own. As he achieves his invoker state, he'll have to wonder how it is that he's gaining these powers.

Playing this like a mystery seems more fun than just telling him what is going on.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-24, 06:44 PM
This is a pretty cool idea. If you go with that idea, maybe your mortal self finds it hard to handle "losing" your mortal mind to another force inside your head... expanding upon schizophrenia, for instance.
I was thinking of it being more like a slight shift in his personality, becoming more decisive and judgmental, less likely to compromise and less tolerant of wrongdoers.

Your character sounds more and more like Jesus. :smalleek: Am I not allowed to say that, based on forum rules? Don't penalize me. :smallredface:
Meh, any character who's an avatar or some sort of god-made-flesh will draw comparisons to Jesus. He was one of the first examples of that kind of a character, really. And in Paradise Lost, he kicks fallen angel ass like a true D&D character. :smallbiggrin:

I'm personally not that fond of giving away the ending, so to speak. I would prefer a character that has to figure things out on his own. As he achieves his invoker state, he'll have to wonder how it is that he's gaining these powers.

Playing this like a mystery seems more fun than just telling him what is going on.
Well, how will the cabal send him off then? I can see your point, but telling him what's going on has an interesting dimension to it too. Kind of like Harry Potter. Despite the fact that he knows he was responsible for Voldemort's first demise, and whenever Voldemort surfaces again, he has to be the one to fight him, he has doubts and wonders "Why me?" (Granted I've only read up to Order of the Phoenix, and I didn't finish that particular book, so I don't know how well the example holds up).

DabblerWizard
2010-01-24, 06:53 PM
Well, how will the cabal send him off then? I can see your point, but telling him what's going on has an interesting dimension to it too. Kind of like Harry Potter. Despite the fact that he knows he was responsible for Voldemort's first demise, and whenever Voldemort surfaces again, he has to be the one to fight him, he has doubts and wonders "Why me?" (Granted I've only read up to Order of the Phoenix, and I didn't finish that particular book, so I don't know how well the example holds up).

The cabal could send him off when they know he's ready to face his later challenges, without necessarily telling him that. Or when they don't have any more to teach him, basically. :smallwink: Maybe they're mistrusting of his mortal weakness and want to avoid their future god's demise.

On a side note, IMO, Harry becomes more and more overly temperamental as the books progress. He's definitely never very satisfied with his position in life, except at the end of the last book perhaps.

Asbestos
2010-01-24, 07:30 PM
To me it sounds more like an Exarch than an Avatar. An Avatar being an extension of the Deity itself whereas an Exarch is an especially chosen or blessed follower given that semi-divine spark.

Now, Amoth is dead. Your character becoming a Diety will not mean that Amoth is back, it will mean that your character whose ideas may be like Amoth's and may be powered by Amoth D-cells is now a god. Using Baldur's Gate as an example... if you choose to become a Deity at the end of the BG2 expansion then Bhaal is NOT reborn but your character has absorbed his portfolio. Bhaal basically did the same thing in that story line as Amoth has done in yours. He put his divine seed into mortals. In order for Amoth to actually be reborn/resurrected I'd imagine that your character would have to end up being the 'battery' for the dead god, Eg. your character, having achieved Epic Demigod-ness uses the grown up divine seed within himself to bring back Amoth at the possible cost of his own Deity-ness. I'd imagine this either leaves your character as a powerful mortal, or your character dies, or your character is absorbed into Amoth, or any of the above but Amoth brings you back as his favored Exarch to serve beside him for the rest of time (or until the next Demon-Prince uprising).

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-24, 09:31 PM
That's another interesting take on it, to be sure. Then again, he could just become a god in his own right and take the name Amoth. He was raised by Amoth-worshipping invokers and grew up with Amoth's precepts as his moral education. Even if he wasn't the original Amoth reborn, he might consider himself the next Amoth anyway, since he's so much like the original it doesn't make too much of a difference. Kind of like how different people have taken up the mantles of particular superheroes and/or sidekicks over the course of comic book history. Tim Drake isn't the same Boy Wonder **** Grayson was, but they both called themselves Robin anyway.

Speaking of Amoth's precepts, I'm trying to figure some of that out. The words "justice and mercy" get thrown around a lot, but that's all the official word we have on what Amoth was all about. How do I roleplay my character as an Amoth worshiper and later as Amoth himself distinctly from other gods of justice, particularly Bahamut, the Platinum Dragon?

There are two gods who hold sway over the concept of justice, Erathis and Bahamut.

Erathis is the goddess of civilization, progress and invention. She is Unaligned and holds court alongside Pelor in the Bright City of Hestavar. The info on her all but states that she's Pelor's consort. Her angle on justice is simply related to her connection with civilization, and therefore with law. She believes that laws are the foundation of a stable society, and therefore her brand of justice is the enforcement of the law, regardless of letter or spirit.

Bahamut, at least in his 4e incarnation, is basically the poster boy for the Lawful Good alignment. His angle on justice is that it's necessary for order, which is necessary for good. He exhorts his followers to protect the weak and innocent. This brand of justice is one of the four virtues that his followers strive to uphold, the others being honor, righteousness and nobility (nobility in the sense of dignity, not royalty). He embodies valor, justice and honor.

How should Amoth look at justice then, in a way that is distinct from how Erathis and especially Bahamut portray it? So far, the only difference I can think of is that whereas Erathis and Bahamut have justice as a minor part of their portfolios, justice is the central part of Amoth's portfolio.

Other information I have is only peripheral at best:

One thing that can help indicate a deity's mindset is how their realm is set up. The only thing that indicates what Kalandurren was like before Amoth's death is that it was lit with two great orbs, one gold and one silver, set at the peaks of the twin mountains Aurama and Argentum, sort of like the Great Lamps that the Valar created in The Silmarillion. That seems to suggest a focus on equality and balance.

The AoK/AoFJ believe that it is their duty to spread justice throughout the world in Amoth's memory, though the definition of justice is different for everyone, and some stray from the greater good. This, to me, indicates a Lawful Good alignment, which fits with the whole "justice and mercy" line they keep repeating when talking about Amoth.

The AoK/AoFJ also believe that they must deal with the evils that plague mortals and gods alike, and that their crimes must be punished, from simple human greed to the murder of Amoth. Also, the illustration in the article depicts a stained-glass window that bears both a longsword pointing downwards and what appears to be part of a balance scales.

Finally, the powers a god gives can give an inkling of how they behaved. In the article that describes the AoK/AoFK, they list several powers their members can recieve. One of these is a feat called "Amoth's Grace," which allows the character or one of his/her allies to spend a healing surge if they are subject to a critical hit or bloodied by an attack. Then there are the powers, which are:

Symbol of Vengeance: You mark a friend with a symbol that allows you to center your powers around him, rather than yourself, meaning you don't have to be up close to your enemy to lay the divine smackdown.

Eye of Dawn: You sear your enemies with holy light and teleport them to someplace nearby of your choice.

Guidance of Heavenly Hands: When someone forces you or an ally to move against their will (pushing, teleporting, etc.) you instead teleport them to a more advantageous location.

Penance of Amoth: You burn an enemy with holy light, and "mark" the opponent. If he damages one of your allies, he takes damage equal to the damage he inflicted.

Smiting Blades: You blast your foe with holy light and make him unsteady on his feet.

Favor the Faithful: You sacrifice a healing surge to negate an attack against you or one of your allies. By negate, I mean it's like the attack didn't happen.

No Rest For The Wicked: You blast your foe with the light of justice, and if it doesn't make a saving throw, it takes even more damage and you can teleport it.

A follower of Amoth can also heal his allies when he makes a critical hit on an enemy, has powerful light-based attacks and becomes more powerful when he suffers grievious harm.

Am I making sense here? How do I synthesize all these elements into a coherent and cohesive belief system that the character can ascribe to and later embody, and be distinct from the other gods who claim justice as their sphere of influence?

Gan The Grey
2010-01-24, 10:13 PM
The balance between justice and mercy basically screams redemption to me. You bring justice to those whose actions demand it, yet instead of using justice solely as a punishment, you tailor it as more of a learning experience, showing them the error of their ways in a manner that grants them the ability to change.

Also, you take the time to learn the reasons behind their actions. Just because someone steals, that doesn't make them evil. If you catch a thief, maybe you would work to find out why they stole before turning them in, never letting them out of your sight until you figure this out. It is not justice to punish a man with a starving family, a man who can't find work.

While I'm sure that you would run across many a villain that would be incapable of redemption, you would possess the skills to recognize those who retain the ability to reclaim an at least neutral status. High Sense Motive, High Diplomacy, that sort of thing.

Oh, and should you come across a villain truly incapable of redemption, you possess all the tools necessary to dole out the appropriate punishment, but your justice never exceeds the crime committed.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-24, 10:17 PM
The character will definitely be an observant guy, having a high Wisdom which translates to high Perception and Insight scores, allowing him to see what people do and why they do it. One must know everything they can about a situation in order to help, after all. Diplomacy might be trickier, since it's based off a dump stat for both avengers and invokers.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-25, 12:11 AM
By the way, how would the RP aspect be different if the character was a deva instead of a half-elf? Devas aren't really born, so the backstory might need some tweaking.

Also I've recieved some suggestions for a revised build using a deva instead of a half-elf:
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Amoth, level 30
Deva, Avenger, Arbiter of Forgotten Justice, Avatar of Justice
Avenger's Censure: Censure of Retribution
Background: Birth - Prophecy (+2 to History)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 28, Wis 28, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 12.

AC: 48 Fort: 42 Reflex: 43 Will: 45
HP: 202 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 50

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +31, Intimidate +22, Perception +29, Athletics +20, History +33

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +16, Arcana +24, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +17, Dungeoneering +24, Endurance +17, Heal +24, Insight +24, Nature +24, Stealth +16, Streetwise +17, Thievery +16

FEATS
Divine Secretkeeper: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Improved Armor of Faith
Level 2: Melee Training (Wisdom)
Level 4: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)
Level 6: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 8: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 10: Divine Secretkeeper
Level 11: Painful Oath
Level 12: Paragon Defenses (retrained to Robust Defenses at Level 21)
Level 14: Implement Expertise (holy symbol)
Level 16: Justice Hammer
Level 18: Amoth's Grace
Level 20: Immediate Justice
Level 21: Punishing Radiance
Level 22: Font of Radiance
Level 24: Divine Mastery
Level 26: Fist of Heaven
Level 28: Epic Fortitude
Level 30: Triumphant Attack

POWERS
Avenger at-will 1: Radiant Vengeance
Avenger at-will 1: Overwhelming Strike
Avenger encounter 1: Relentless Attack
Avenger daily 1: Aspect of Might
Avenger utility 2: Distracting Flare
Avenger encounter 3: Fury's Advance
Avenger daily 5: Bond of Foresight
Avenger utility 6: Refocus Enmity
Avenger encounter 7: Splinter the Formation
Avenger daily 9: Holy Ardor
Avenger utility 10: Wings of Vengeance
Avenger encounter 13: Crimson Stride (replaces Relentless Attack)
Avenger daily 15: Aspect of Fury (replaces Holy Ardor)
Avenger utility 16: Strength in Unity
Avenger encounter 17: Vengeful Parry (replaces Splinter the Formation)
Avenger daily 19: Stroke of Doom (replaces Bond of Foresight)
Avenger utility 22: Twin Step
Avenger encounter 23: Threatening Strike (replaces Crimson Stride)
Avenger daily 25: Aspect of Death (replaces Aspect of Might)
Avenger encounter 27: Death Stroke (replaces Fury's Advance)
Avenger daily 29: Cataclysmic Duel (replaces Stroke of Doom)

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Bloodthread Starweave Armor +6, Radiant Fullblade +6, Timeless Locket +6, Symbol of Victory +5, Executioner's Bracers (epic tier), Strikebacks (heroic tier), Ring of Giants (paragon tier) (2), Diamond Cincture (paragon tier), Assault Boots (paragon tier), Essence of the Wisp (epic tier), Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Asbestos
2010-01-25, 12:39 AM
Erathis is the goddess of civilization, progress and invention. She is Unaligned and holds court alongside Pelor in the Bright City of Hestavar. The info on her all but states that she's Pelor's consort.

Consort implies that she does not hold court equally but is inferior to her ruling partner. Perhaps its more of a William and Mary thing. Or maybe they're just 'friends with benefits'.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-25, 01:54 AM
Consort implies that she does not hold court equally but is inferior to her ruling partner. Perhaps its more of a William and Mary thing. Or maybe they're just 'friends with benefits'.

Thank you, I wasn't sure how to say it myself. How does one describe a relationship of equal power that remains platonic? Because if I thought they were "friends with benefits" I would have explicitly said "lovers."

DabblerWizard
2010-01-25, 10:31 AM
By the way, how would the RP aspect be different if the character was a deva instead of a half-elf? Devas aren't really born, so the backstory might need some tweaking.

If you have access to it, I would suggest you reread the fluff on Deva, provided in the 4e phb 2. That text suggests that they reincarnate time and again.

Even if you think of birth as a one time thing, it's fair to say that Deva are created by a deity, so they're certainly born at least once, though probably somewhere in the "heavens" or the Astral Plane.

On the other hand, reincarnation involves the transference of a soul from one body to another (after a certain "Dogma" judgment period if we're depending on classical Hinduism), which is a kind of rebirth, if not in the neonatal sense.

In any case, a half elf is clearly much more mortal than a Deva is. However you view Deva in the greater cosmology, they're clearly not purely mortal beings, and they know it. They're at least partially tied to a deity, or multiple deities.

You could invent a nice little story about, your deva character being a heavenly soldier for Amoth in a past life, who either decided to bring back his God, or was told by Amoth that he would become Amoth's avatar.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-25, 02:15 PM
Okay, how's this sound? The character was originally an angel in Amoth's service, primarily as an emissary to other gods. He was on a diplomatic mission to Celestia (specifically Bahamut's court) when the call came out that Kalandurren was under attack and Amoth needed every servant recalled immediately. He, along with other angels who served Amoth were at the vanguard of the army that poured out of Celestia to answer Kalandurren's cry for help, with the angelic forces of Kord, Bahamut and Moradin behind them. When they arrived at Kalandurren however, it was too late to save Amoth. The character watched as the last breath left his master's lips, and though the demons were driven out, he and all of Amoth's remaining servants were stricken with terrible grief. Only he and the other angels who'd been away from Kalandurren survived. Any of Amoth's servitors who had been in the original battle had been massacred by the demons.

With it being too late to revive Amoth, these angels were left orphaned. Some retained their loyalty to Amoth, stubbornly entrenching themselves in Kalandurren even though it had already been lost. Some decided to join the service of the other powers of justice in the cosmos, Bahamut and Erathis. Some, like the character, decided to come into the world and become devas. One by one, these orphaned angels and devas have forgotten Amoth and died out. The character is the last angel who was in Amoth's service, and as a result, time is running out to try and revive Amoth. What's left of the divine conciousness of Amoth gave the Adherents of Kalandurren a message to find this deva and prime him to commit one last act of sacrifice and service to Amoth by being the beacon for Amoth's resurrection. The constellation guided them to where this deva was to reincarnate next, and when he did, the Adherents were waiting for him. After that the story proceeds the same as it would have with the original story.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-25, 07:20 PM
I've been trying to find a picture that can adequately depict this character, but have had little luck. Best I could find was this:

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs27/i/2008/145/3/4/Unity_of_Rings__colored_by_Johndowson.jpg

It's decent looking, but devas don't have wings, and I'd really prefer not to have my character walking around shirtless.

Also, what should his name be?

DabblerWizard
2010-01-25, 10:01 PM
I think your story of an angel turned deva, is pretty awesome. I'd say go with it, if you like it too.

As with any deva, part of his mission will be recalling his past.

When it comes to names, I start rambling off sets of sounds that sound cool in my head, and I compare them to the background I'm trying to relate to.

An example: Elethin (ee-leth-in) is a cool sounding name, I just came up with it off the top of my head. I would wonder whether it's deva-ish enough, if I was going for a name for your character.

The 4e phb 2 provides example names for Deva you know. The male names seem to have something of an Arabic flavor, but if that's not your taste, you can still just go with whatever sounds cool.

On a second note, maybe your Angel name is different than your Deva name. If so, I would imagine that finding your angelic name, especially if it was given to you directly by Amoth, would be very cathartic. [Edit] Furthermore, you might consider it closer to your "True name".

One of my players in a campaign a few months back chose the name Eranah, for her female deva, which is on that list in the phb 2, if that helps.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-25, 10:22 PM
I think your story of an angel turned deva, is pretty awesome. I'd say go with it, if you like it too.

As with any deva, part of his mission will be recalling his past.

When it comes to names, I start rambling off sets of sounds that sound cool in my head, and I compare them to the background I'm trying to relate to.

An example: Elethin (ee-leth-in) is a cool sounding name, I just came up with it off the top of my head. I would wonder whether it's deva-ish enough, if I was going for a name for your character.

The 4e phb 2 provides example names for Deva you know. The male names seem to have something of an Arabic flavor, but if that's not your taste, you can still just go with whatever sounds cool.

On a second note, maybe your Angel name is different than your Deva name. If so, I would imagine that finding your angelic name, especially if it was given to you directly by Amoth, would be very cathartic. [Edit] Furthermore, you might consider it closer to your "True name".

One of my players in a campaign a few months back chose the name Eranah, for her female deva, which is on that list in the phb 2, if that helps.

I'm aware of the example names in the 4e PHB 2, I just don't have access to it while I'm at college (Mum and pop won't let me keep 'em in my dorm y'see, too much of a distraction when I should be doing homework). If I had access I'd probably pick one of those. Any advice on where to find good deva pictures? I showed the one before to some friends, despite my misgivings about the wings and lack of a shirt. They thought it looked gay as hell. The only other good deva pics I've been able to find are the official ones, but I don't want my character to look like a purple Dr. Manhattan.

DabblerWizard
2010-01-25, 10:45 PM
I'm aware of the example names in the 4e PHB 2, I just don't have access to it while I'm at college (Mum and pop won't let me keep 'em in my dorm y'see, too much of a distraction when I should be doing homework). If I had access I'd probably pick one of those. Any advice on where to find good deva pictures? I showed the one before to some friends, despite my misgivings about the wings and lack of a shirt. They thought it looked gay as hell. The only other good deva pics I've been able to find are the official ones, but I don't want my character to look like a purple Dr. Manhattan.

A few things.

Your parents won't let you keep your d&d books with you? :smallannoyed: - Talk about unreasonable limitations. If you're in college, it's by far up to you to decide whether you bring your books with you or not. Any references to "cutting off financial help" or other BS, would be a flagrantly irrational, dominating, inappropriate response on the part of your parents. They no longer have the right to control you that way. Period.

I deal with less than reasonable parents myself, so I have a strong opinion when it comes to appropriate boundaries. I didn't mean to sound harsh.

The PHB 2 lists the following male names for Deva: "Adiah, Ansis, Ayab, Bavak, Beriah, Eben, Elyas, Galad, Gamal, Hiyal, Iannes, Kerem, Mahar, Marach, Mathas, Natan, Nehem, Oris, Raham, Ronen, Samel, Sered, Tavar, Vered, Zachar" (Crawford, Mearls, & Wyatt, 2009).

I decided to properly cite the text from the book using APA because I like being on the safe side. It's also nerdy. Just the way I like it. :smallsmile:

Crawford, J., Mearls, M., & Wyatt, J. (2009). Dungeons & Dragons. Players Handbook 2: Primal, Arcane, and Divine Heroes. Renton, WA: Wizards of the Coast LLC.

I won't be much help when it comes to finding good Deva pics. All I could do is scour the internet, which you can do too.

I also thought that the picture you posted looked sort of "gay" in a village people sort of way, but I thought of it jokingly, not seriously. There's nothing inherently wrong with an overly muscular purple shirtless dude. I'll avoid a maturity rant. :smalltongue:

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-25, 10:53 PM
A few things.

Your parents won't let you keep your d&d books with you? :smallannoyed: - Talk about unreasonable limitations. If you're in college, it's by far up to you to decide whether you bring your books with you or not. Any references to "cutting off financial help" or other BS, would be a flagrantly irrational, dominating, inappropriate response on the part of your parents. They no longer have the right to control you that way. Period.

I deal with less than reasonable parents myself, so I have a strong opinion when it comes to appropriate boundaries. I didn't mean to sound harsh.

There's been no threatening of cutting off financial aid. It never got that bad. But during my sophomore year, I kind of went through a rough patch. My grades were going down, and my mother began to make every effort to ensure that I was free of distractions so I could get my college degree. She was worried that I was reading my D&D books instead of writing my papers, and she never really approved of my buying them anyway, thinking them a waste of money, space and time since I haven't found a RL game to join or run in a while, and since 4e's release rendered my 3.5 books unecessary. She also didn't like me buying D&D books with money she insisted should be saved to pay off my student loands. We had a deal where I'd leave my D&D books with my disabilities coordinator during the week and get them during the weekend, but it got to be a pain carting them to and fro, especially as I got more of them, and since I wasn't playing D&D during college anyway, I decided I might as well leave them at home, since I wasn't getting any use out of them. So in retrospect, "not letting me" seems a bit too strong. I chose to leave my books, but my mother is still kind of prejudiced against D&D, since she thinks it jeopardized my chances of success in life.

Mando Knight
2010-01-25, 11:00 PM

Incorrect. If they don't have the right to control him, they at least have the right to control their own money. They have the right to withdraw funding if they deem he behaves inappropriately. Either they're obliged to pay for his university costs, or he's permitted to do whatever he wants regardless of their wishes. You can't have it both ways.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-25, 11:17 PM
Incorrect. If they don't have the right to control him, they at least have the right to control their own money. They have the right to withdraw funding if they deem he behaves inappropriately. Either they're obliged to pay for his university costs, or he's permitted to do whatever he wants regardless of their wishes. You can't have it both ways.

Exactly. Even I think buying some of those D&D books was kinda stupid in hindsight.

Anyway, back on topic here. Another thing I'm wondering is what colors Amoth might be associated with. Any idea?

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-26, 04:34 PM
After some consideration, I think blue would serve as a good color for Amoth worshipers. Blue seems to be a popular color with justice gods, as both followers of Erathis and Bahamut tend to have blue somewhere on their outfits. I don't know what other colors would work well. Silver looks too much like platinum, and I'm trying to differentiate my character from Bahamut followers. Gold is another option, but that might seem a bit too obvious, along with the potential for derisive "Boy Scout" comments. Black tends to have negative connotations, but it certainly would make it stand out. White seems like a possibility, but I've never really been a fan of seeing blue and white together. It doesn't seem easy on the eyes for some reason.

Anyone have some different suggestions?

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-26, 08:05 PM
Color? Anybody?

Mando Knight
2010-01-26, 09:44 PM
Gold is another option, but that might seem a bit too obvious, along with the potential for derisive "Boy Scout" comments.

You realize that some of the most badass Americans from the latter half of the 20th century were Eagle Scouts, right? That it alongside being a test pilot was once nearly a requirement for the US astronaut program? Just take it. In stride. People usually stop using "Big Blue Boy Scout" derisively when you knock down some kind of massive demon-thing in front of them.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-26, 09:52 PM
You realize that some of the most badass Americans from the latter half of the 20th century were Eagle Scouts, right? That it alongside being a test pilot was once nearly a requirement for the US astronaut program? Just take it. In stride. People usually stop using "Big Blue Boy Scout" derisively when you knock down some kind of massive demon-thing in front of them.

Yeah, I'm an Eagle Scout myself. But blue isn't exactly the color Eagle Scouts are associated with. That's more of a tan. Blue is for Cub Scouts, which I'd imagine is what most people think when they think "Boy Scouts," savage little brats who don't understand the menaing behind the words they mumble every meeting and see the whole institution as an excuse to go camping and run wild (my Cub Scouting experience was NOT pleasant).

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-27, 11:36 PM
After thinking about it a bit, blue and gold sounds okay. Traditionally "lawful good" colors, I guess.

Still looking for a good pic though.

Asbestos
2010-01-28, 02:02 AM
White seems like a possibility, but I've never really been a fan of seeing blue and white together. It doesn't seem easy on the eyes for some reason.

Apparently the flags of many many nations (especially Greece) and a lot of heraldry disagrees with you :smalltongue:

Anyway, this may help with picking colors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tincture_(heraldry)#Basic_tinctures

And this too:
http://chestofbooks.com/food/household/Woman-Encyclopaedia-1/How-To-Read-A-Coat-Of-Arms-The-Symbolism-Of-Colour-In-Heraldry.html

I'm leaning towards a Purple on Silver theme. Which is pretty classic too.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-28, 11:34 AM
I suppose purple works for clothing. The purple skin thing always kind of bugged me about devas, but if my character's skin isn't purple, then his outfit can be.

What exactly do you mean by "purple on silver?" Like silver with a purple trim?

Asbestos
2010-01-28, 03:24 PM
I suppose purple works for clothing. The purple skin thing always kind of bugged me about devas, but if my character's skin isn't purple, then his outfit can be.

What exactly do you mean by "purple on silver?" Like silver with a purple trim?

As in a silver field with purple on it. So like, say, silver armor with a purple crest. Or yeah, silver with purple trim, apparently traditionally silver was too noble or whatever to be on another color. So like, silver on purple doesn't work as well. But hey, your character.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-28, 03:45 PM
I'd do silver armor with a purple crest if I had armor. But I have robes. But purple IS a traditional color associated with royalty. In Rome, only the Emperor could wear purple. Since my character's becoming a god, which is more important than an emperor, it makes sense that he'd wear a such a high and might color.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-01-29, 10:30 PM
Okay, I've put in a request over at the WOTC boards for some Photoshop-fu so I can finally get a visual for this guy.

I'm thinking ivory skin with steel-grey markings. That looks pretty cool.

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on the new build? I'll repost it for those who missed it:

Created by Auspex7 on the WOTC Boards:
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Amoth, level 30
Deva, Avenger, Arbiter of Forgotten Justice, Avatar of Justice
Avenger's Censure: Censure of Retribution
Background: Birth - Prophecy (+2 to History)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 28, Wis 28, Cha 14.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 12.

AC: 48 Fort: 42 Reflex: 43 Will: 45
HP: 202 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 50

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +31, Intimidate +22, Perception +29, Athletics +20, History +33

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +16, Arcana +24, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +17, Dungeoneering +24, Endurance +17, Heal +24, Insight +24, Nature +24, Stealth +16, Streetwise +17, Thievery +16

FEATS
Divine Secretkeeper: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Improved Armor of Faith
Level 2: Melee Training (Wisdom)
Level 4: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)
Level 6: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 8: Weapon Focus (Heavy Blade)
Level 10: Divine Secretkeeper
Level 11: Painful Oath
Level 12: Paragon Defenses (retrained to Robust Defenses at Level 21)
Level 14: Implement Expertise (holy symbol)
Level 16: Justice Hammer
Level 18: Amoth's Grace
Level 20: Immediate Justice
Level 21: Punishing Radiance
Level 22: Font of Radiance
Level 24: Divine Mastery
Level 26: Fist of Heaven
Level 28: Epic Fortitude
Level 30: Triumphant Attack

POWERS
Avenger at-will 1: Radiant Vengeance
Avenger at-will 1: Overwhelming Strike
Avenger encounter 1: Relentless Attack
Avenger daily 1: Aspect of Might
Avenger utility 2: Distracting Flare
Avenger encounter 3: Fury's Advance
Avenger daily 5: Bond of Foresight
Avenger utility 6: Refocus Enmity
Avenger encounter 7: Splinter the Formation
Avenger daily 9: Holy Ardor
Avenger utility 10: Wings of Vengeance
Avenger encounter 13: Crimson Stride (replaces Relentless Attack)
Avenger daily 15: Aspect of Fury (replaces Holy Ardor)
Avenger utility 16: Strength in Unity
Avenger encounter 17: Vengeful Parry (replaces Splinter the Formation)
Avenger daily 19: Stroke of Doom (replaces Bond of Foresight)
Avenger utility 22: Twin Step
Avenger encounter 23: Threatening Strike (replaces Crimson Stride)
Avenger daily 25: Aspect of Death (replaces Aspect of Might)
Avenger encounter 27: Death Stroke (replaces Fury's Advance)
Avenger daily 29: Cataclysmic Duel (replaces Stroke of Doom)

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Bloodthread Starweave Armor +6, Radiant Fullblade +6, Timeless Locket +6, Symbol of Victory +5, Executioner's Bracers (epic tier), Strikebacks (heroic tier), Ring of Giants (paragon tier) (2), Diamond Cincture (paragon tier), Assault Boots (paragon tier), Essence of the Wisp (epic tier), Backlash Tattoo (heroic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

I'm also thinking of naming him Adon, which is reminiscent of both the Greek mythological figure Adonis and Adonai, one of the Hebrew names for God. Thoughts?

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-02-01, 05:50 PM
Well, I've finally got a picture for him. I think it's pretty awesome!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/Lhiannan_Shee/DevaAvengerWIPcopy-1.jpg

I've also changed his name from Adon to Aethon. I realized that I'd inadvertently named him after the cleric Adon of Forgotten Realms fame. Aethon was actually the pseudonym Odysseus took when he returned to Ithaca disguised as a beggar. I thought it'd be appropriate for this character, a god returning in the guise of a servant.

Whadaya think?