PDA

View Full Version : Physics and cat-girls

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-24, 02:04 AM
So here's the thing, I'm a big fan of both physics and cat-girls, but whenever I bring physics into a fantasy role-play discussion the gods kill a cat-girl. This makes me feel a little guilty.:smallfrown: Does anyone else have this problem? "Okay, I admit that I don't actually feel any guilt, but if cat-girls were real I would."

Ravens_cry
2010-01-24, 02:07 AM
There is no guilt.
Only genocide.

golentan
2010-01-24, 02:08 AM
Not really. I am trapped in the afterlife, so if I kill catgirls, well...

More fun for me. Even if it makes me a bad person.

Temotei
2010-01-24, 02:08 AM
So here's the thing, I'm a big fan of both physics and cat-girls, but whenever I bring physics into a fantasy role-play discussion the gods kill a cat-girl. This makes me feel a little guilty.:smallfrown: Does anyone else have this problem? "Okay, I admit that I don't actually feel any guilt, but if cat-girls were real I would."

Yes. I am invariably of a Good alignment, and it bothers me to see anyone dying. :smallsigh:

Ravens_cry
2010-01-24, 02:12 AM
It's simple pest control really.
Every time a fangirl squees, God MAKES a catgirl.
Let's just say Twilight caused MAJOR overcrowding issues.

The Extinguisher
2010-01-24, 02:20 AM
Until February 21st, whenever someone brings up physics in a fantasy discussion, I fear for my life. :smallbiggrin:

Wait... I love physics :smalleek:
I'm doomed.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-01-24, 02:31 AM
My suggestion? Forget all this crazy 'laws of nature' stuff. The real money's in dabbling in the Dark Sciences.

Have twenty Fullbladderland Fun-Bucks.

Temotei
2010-01-24, 02:33 AM
My suggestion? Forget all this crazy 'laws of nature' stuff. The real money's in dabbling in the Dark Sciences.

Have twenty Fullbladderland Fun-Bucks.

Enervation would kill catgirls pretty easily.

Sad. :smallamused:

Solaris
2010-01-24, 02:37 AM
No, because having guilt requires that killing catgirls be wrong.
It's never wrong.

golentan
2010-01-24, 02:43 AM
Okay, seriously, the "Killing Catgirls is Good" irritates me.

My friend is a catgirl. Honest to god, real life, flesh and blood catgirl (fake ears). My best friend dated her for a while. She's awesome. Please don't kill my friends, they're all I have and they already only have a shelf life of about 80 years.

Temotei
2010-01-24, 02:45 AM

My friend is a catgirl. Honest to god, real life, flesh and blood catgirl (fake ears). My best friend dated her for a while. She's awesome. Please don't kill my friends, they're all I have and they already only have a shelf life of about 80 years.

I think, right now, it's seventy-seven point six or so in America.

Solaris
2010-01-24, 02:51 AM

Meh. How does one have anything at all to do with the other? That's kinda like saying "My best friend is a drow, quit knockin' on Drizzt clones."

golentan
2010-01-24, 02:57 AM
Meh. How does one have anything at all to do with the other? That's kinda like saying "My best friend is a drow, quit knockin' on Drizzt clones."

But... But... Killing means I get decades less time with them...

I only have decades to make friends with someone before they die. I get defensive of the mortals who I get close to. Though that does give me an idea... Drow would live an almost notable fraction of my lifespan...

I'm going to try to get to Faerun now. I'm going to need a campaign sourcebook, 5 metric tons of incense, a copy of the Necronomicon, and the LHC. Who's with me?

Mercenary Pen
2010-01-24, 02:57 AM
Me, I prefer the corollary:
"Every time you bring a catgirl into a science fiction roleplaying discussion, God kills a physicist."

But, on a more serious note, there are certain players who need their disbelief forcibly suspended over the edge of a cliff...

Mordokai
2010-01-24, 03:21 AM
I'm going to try to get to Faerun now. I'm going to need a campaign sourcebook, 5 metric tons of incense, a copy of the Necronomicon, and the LHC. Who's with me?

Eh, why not. Let me know when you're ready and I'll promptly teleport myself over and we can be on our way.

On a (kinda) serious note... I really fail to see what's so damn bad about catgirls. As long as they keep their claws trimmed, I'm in no way opposed to having them around :smallbiggrin:

Faulty
2010-01-24, 03:36 AM
No, because having guilt requires that killing catgirls be wrong.
It's never wrong.

Are you running for any kind of office? Is there somewhere I can vote for you?

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-24, 06:47 AM
A question: if you bring physics into a fantasy role-play discussion, but you get the physics wrong, do the gods kill a cat-girl, or just wound one horribly?

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-24, 06:48 AM
Yes. I am invariably of a Good alignment, and it bothers me to see anyone dying. :smallsigh:

'sthat mean you've never run a +1 holy longsword through a fiend? And if you have, did you really feel bad about it?

Castaras
2010-01-24, 06:50 AM
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u130/Castaras/CastarasAvvies/CassieNewCatGirl2.png

Some catgirls are just suicidal. :smallwink:

Setra
2010-01-24, 06:54 AM
Bah, I hand out pills to catgirls for free that immunize them against these lethal effects.

Temotei
2010-01-24, 06:56 AM
'sthat mean you've never run a +1 holy longsword through a fiend? And if you have, did you really feel bad about it?

In real life, I would never kill anything that wasn't directly threatening my life or the lives of friends/family. And even then, I would hope to only subdue the attacker.

In a roleplaying game? It depends on the character. If I was a character who had to go through as an adventurer, I'd probably be a non-combatant bard (sadly). I might be good at combat when I need to be, but I prefer not to get in fights or kill things, so I bolster my allies so they don't get hurt or die.

Priority 1: Protect others.
Priority 2: Protect myself.
Priority 3: Protect everything else.
Priority 3.5: If protection isn't possible, avoid fighting it.
Priority 3.75: If a fight is all that's going to solve the problem, avoid kills.
Priority 3.95: If killing is the only way (it usually isn't), do it in the least pain-inducing manner possible.

Gamerlord
2010-01-24, 07:48 AM
Meh,I don't have that problem, cause catgirls deserve to die.

DEATH TO THEM ALL!

Mercenary Pen
2010-01-24, 08:17 AM
Meh,I don't have that problem, cause catgirls deserve to die.

DEATH TO THEM ALL!

Quiet, the catgirl cyber-ninjas with plasma katanas are gonna hear you:smallwink:

EleventhHour
2010-01-24, 11:27 AM
Quiet, the catgirl cyber-ninjas with plasma katanas are gonna hear you:smallwink:

Or just the ones with lightning guns...

And don't worry, there's a great counter to the whole "Physics" business. Every time a rule of physics gets broken in a nonfantasy setting...

http://www.interbutt.org/plog-content/thumbs/sfwmaybe/general-coolfunny/large/1174-qar5n6mx7vgpiv4l42ut7snyw9.jpg
(Falling damage is disabled. Shh.)

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-24, 11:53 AM
Since I and several other playgrounders will be catgirls for GBW in february, I have created a method to protect catgirls from this effect. I call this Bisected's catgirl protection theorem. When applied as a logical argument it may be used to ressurect any specific catgirl (blanket effects are impossible, it must be used on a case by case basis).

The reasoning behind it is rather simple; catgirls are creatures of fantasy, however being considered an amusement rather than a "proper" mythical creature the particular strain of belief that powers them (sometimes known as the "kawaii" factor, measured in "cutes") is vulnerable to the disbelief generated by scientific discussion (since science, as many scientists agree, is about disproving facts until you reach the truth). When scientific discussion is brought into fantasy, the combination of the nearby field of "belief" sustaining itself with all nearby forms of it (including the scarce amount of cutes) combined with the science poisoning has the potential to kill off any catgirls in the vicinity.

The protection theorem provides a logical, scientific argument for the existence of catgirls. By using this argument to support the existence of a particular catgirl it temporarily realigns its being with "science" thus both solving the problem of science poisoning and the absence of cutes. Once the scientific discussion has passed the catgirl will cease being a creature of science (an effect known as "debunking") and resume being sustained by the returning kawaii field. Anyway, the theorem is thus;

Cats and humans formed a symbiotic relationship many thousands of years ago. They both have many similarities in skull structure (with a cat having evolved to resemble a human infant) and compliment each other (with humans providing a habitat and territory and cats keeping it clear of vermin.

Since evolution is an ongoing process, it stands to reason that humans with more catlike traits will be better able to maintain this state of symbiosis and survive. Hence the evolution of catgirls.

While this is simply one possible solution, any such argument (as long as it sounds vaguely possible) can be used.

Mercenary Pen
2010-01-24, 12:14 PM
I prefer to target the root of the problem, the physicists themselves... For best effect, physically implausible weapons should be used for this, ranging from non-straight energy blades, mind control guns all the way to massive laser hammers.

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-24, 12:17 PM
I prefer to target the root of the problem, the physicists themselves... For best effect, physically implausible weapons should be used for this, ranging from non-straight energy blades, mind control guns all the way to massive laser hammers.

It won't work. Physicists are unstoppable (trust me, I'm a computer scientists/chemist. I know).

golentan
2010-01-24, 12:23 PM
It won't work. Physicists are unstoppable (trust me, I'm a computer scientists/chemist. I know).

See, this is why you need to be a biologist.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cuttlefish.png

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-24, 12:29 PM
See, this is why you need to be a biologist.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cuttlefish.png

But a little bit of poison and...

Mercenary Pen
2010-01-24, 12:29 PM

Only unstoppable in their preferred field- which is why you never engage them in a battle they understand. For another means of defeating the physicist, you genetically modify them into a catperson (due to real world gender distribution, not all of them will be catgirls) and allow the discussion of physics to do its work on them. Yes, I have evil ideas sometimes.

Pyrian
2010-01-24, 01:41 PM
Bah, I hand out pills to catgirls for free that immunize them against these lethal effects....There are pills to immunize against deities!?

Moff Chumley
2010-01-24, 02:04 PM
Cocaine is a helluva drug...
Couldn't help it, sorry. :smallwink:

So in the ongoing three-way battle between Chemists, Biologists, and Physicists, where do Mathematicians, Psychologists, Philosophers, and Liberal Arts Majors fit in?

Thufir
2010-01-24, 02:08 PM
So in the ongoing three-way battle between Chemists, Biologists, and Physicists, where do Mathematicians, Psychologists, Philosophers, and Liberal Arts Majors fit in?

This is really just asking for it. Someone has to do this (http://xkcd.com/435/).

And now there'll be a big ol' off-topic argument, most likely. You see what you've done?

Mercenary Pen
2010-01-24, 02:08 PM

It's complicated. Maybe somebody has the time to lay out the complex diagram that represents the balance of power, but I don't. Suffice it to say that alliances are constantly shifting and nothing is as simple as it seems. Also, you forgot engineers, sociologists, historians and a number of other factions.

Setra
2010-01-24, 04:25 PM
...There are pills to immunize against deities!?
Yeah, but they're suppositories

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-24, 04:28 PM
Cocaine is a helluva drug...
Couldn't help it, sorry. :smallwink:

And while they do their fighting, us furor callidus watch evily.

That is the right term, right? :smallconfused:

Slayn82
2010-01-24, 06:02 PM
Hey, catgirls are very important to Science. Since some japanese physicists discovered an variation of the Schrödinger's cat problem, nominally if a catgirl left alone in a closed room will be either with her full clothes or naked, they have been exaustibly studied by perverts dilligent students.

And personally, in a science war, no holds barred, ill go with my chemistry. I've been in way too many laboratories to know all the mess and destruction undergrads can do without planning and supervision. We are like almost Warhammer 40K orks.

Sometimes including the smell, the colors and the sanity, but its bound to happen when someone inhales too much etilene or a few other volatiles.

Woodsman
2010-01-24, 06:12 PM
Any one want an order of who's more pure, at least?

http://xkcd.com/435/

Bam. There you go.

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-24, 06:23 PM
Any one want an order of who's more pure, at least?

http://xkcd.com/435/

Bam. There you go.

Its already been posted.

Thufir
2010-01-24, 06:23 PM
:smallsigh:

Several posts late, Woodsman.

This is really just asking for it. Someone has to do this (http://xkcd.com/435/).

And now there'll be a big ol' off-topic argument, most likely. You see what you've done?

CapedLuigiYoshi
2010-01-24, 07:28 PM
Yeah, but they're suppositories

So do they stop at the affected area and immediately dissolve? *brick'd*

Oh wait, wrong animal-girl. *brick'd again*

Solaris
2010-01-24, 07:38 PM
Are you running for any kind of office? Is there somewhere I can vote for you?

The subject comes up enough that I probably should.

World Dictator, 2012: It's all gonna end anyway, so why not?

tribble
2010-01-24, 07:59 PM
On a (kinda) serious note... I really fail to see what's so damn bad about catgirls. As long as they keep their claws trimmed, I'm in no way opposed to having them around :smallbiggrin:

You have never kissed one, then. Those hairballs hurt coming back up.:smallyuk:

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-24, 08:26 PM
Sooo, I take it that furor callidus is the right term for, uh, "us"?

Reinholdt
2010-01-24, 10:33 PM
I'm a catboy. I'm immune to your science! YAY! :smallcool:

But sometimes I'm a catgirl too. Do as I did and take Immunity to Physics as your first level feat. You won't regret it.

UnChosenOne
2010-01-25, 01:43 AM
Do as I did and take Immunity to Physics as your first level feat. You won't regret it.

So that's reason why we get our materials alive. Well, luckily 2-(Fluoro-methylphosphoryl)oxypropane still seems to works against them.:smallamused:
</Mad Scientist>

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-25, 03:31 AM

But sometimes I'm a catgirl too. Do as I did and take Immunity to Physics as your first level feat. You won't regret it.

I have both the Computer Programmer feat and 1 or 2 ranks in Knowledge (Weeaboo). Same effect without the need to waste an extra feat on it.

Mercenary Pen
2010-01-25, 05:26 AM
I just took the feat Immunity to Acceleration due to Gravity, because it fit what I needed and was all I met the prerequisites for. No falling damage ever is a good thing though.

darkblade
2010-01-25, 05:32 AM

What about when someone talks about how potion crafting not meeting chemistry standards or the unlikely hood of a cat human hybrid surviving for any length of time (biology).

You need to save yourself from the rest of the sciences too.

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-25, 06:05 AM
the unlikely hood of a cat human hybrid surviving for any length of time (biology).

I've already argued that one out above. :smallwink:

Kallisti
2010-01-25, 01:44 PM

Immunity to Physics? I need to keep up on the new splatbooks better...

Still. You know what they say. If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable. If they already made Immunity to Physics...

I think WotC has spoken. SOON I SHALL BE INVINCIBLE!

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-25, 02:12 PM
Immunity to Physics? I need to keep up on the new splatbooks better...

Still. You know what they say. If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable. If they already made Immunity to Physics...

I think WotC has spoken. SOON I SHALL BE INVINCIBLE!

*casts "Protection from Law" on Kallisti*

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have done that....

Mercenary Pen
2010-01-25, 02:14 PM
*casts "Protection from Law" on Kallisti*

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have done that....

*Casts Greater Dispel, followed by Quickened Dispel Feats.*

Moff Chumley
2010-01-25, 04:39 PM
See? THIS is what happens when we have a cat-girl thread. :smallannoyed:

And that's why physics kills 'em.