PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Templates [3.5]

Temotei
2010-01-24, 05:18 AM
What are your favorite templates and why? Please cite sources.

I don't want any responses saying "templates are bad--don't take them." I want responses that tell of your favorite templates, and the reasons you like them.

Also, where's the dark template? :smallcool:

Eloel
2010-01-24, 06:08 AM
Evolved Undead, because it can stack with itself.

Temotei
2010-01-24, 06:58 AM
Nobody else?

Eldariel
2010-01-24, 07:09 AM
Well, Templates I like but don't use due to LA:
- Half-Fey
- Half-Celestial
- Half-Fiend (particularly Customized Half-Fiends (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a))
- Dark [Tome of Magic]

Rappy
2010-01-24, 07:53 AM
I love templates with a passion, and there are too many I love to state in a single thread (which probably explains why I still reply every time one of these template threads crops up :smallredface: ). A few choice picks are:

Amalgam [Advanced Bestary]: If I was stuck in a DM wasteland with all templates taken away but one of my choice to add to monsters...this would be it. The sheer versatility of a template that combines two or more creatures into an amalgamation is amazing.

Corpse Vampire [Book of Templates Deluxe Edition 3.5:] No magical abilities, no rogueshly handsome features, no sparkling...simply a vicious predatory rotting corpse that has rended its way from the earth to suck the blood of the living.

Therianthrope [Tome of Horrors]: This template produces animals that transform into humanoids. There are enough real-world legends that work on this premise that you can get pretty good fuel for it.

Moak
2010-01-24, 08:10 AM
As a player? Or as a DM?

As "both" I've one that I simply LOVE:
- Phrenic Creature (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm)

Low LA and Psi-like abilities means that actually the powers of higher level that you take are automatically augmented...making them better while you level.

- the half-fiend variant...

Just because that allow me to round up monsters around the concepts well. Also,I liked a lot when I've played in a group with different half-fiend.

- For Epic play,Paragon creatures (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/paragonCreature.htm) get my vote. I don't know why but...to be "perfect" is a cool concept.

- Half-dragon.
Reliable for a not-to-high-LA strenght booster for pure melee character..and for some nasty PNG.

As a DM only..
- Creature of Legacy
An interesting way to use the strange Items of Legacy rules...and give a monster some interesting and unique powers

magic9mushroom
2010-01-24, 08:23 AM
Noone's mentioned White Dragonspawn or Necropolitan yet?

Leon
2010-01-24, 09:27 AM
Draconic - Races of the Dragon
Feral - Savage Species

Ernir
2010-01-24, 09:54 AM
A second vote for Dark.

sombrastewart
2010-01-24, 11:59 AM
Dark template is a favorite of mine as well. It's in Tome of Magic, page 60-something IIRC.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-24, 12:08 PM
Dark, I love sneaky characters and it fits most of my themes to a T
Half-dragon + shadow dragon+dragon breath feat= NEGATIVE LEVELS

CTLC
2010-01-24, 12:15 PM
my vote to necropolitan

Starscream
2010-01-24, 12:18 PM
I'm a big fan of sneaky characters, so I like both Dark and Shadow. Shadow is like Greater Dark template. It's a +2 LA, but you get more abilities as you level, including fast healing, save bonuses, evasion, and planeshifting.

I'm not sure if Dragonborn counts as a race or a template (it's sort of both), but I enjoy that as well.

DarklingPerhaps
2010-01-24, 12:20 PM
I like the ooze template from Savage Species, just because of the potential for ridiculous monsters.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-24, 12:26 PM
Chalk another one up for Dark. I like the Entropic and Vivacious templates (from the Planar Handbook) in concept, but Entropic isn't party-friendly and Vivacious is rarely worth the LA.

EDIT: Oh, and Swordwraith. Swordwraiths are nice.

The Ogre
2010-01-24, 12:31 PM
Gravetouched Ghoul from Libris Moris is pretty awesome if you want to play a ghoul without taking actual class levels from the ghoul monster class.

I can't think of the name of the template from Savage Species that provides a character with multiple heads, but that template is pretty neat as well.

Starscream
2010-01-24, 12:37 PM
I can't think of the name of the template from Savage Species that provides a character with multiple heads, but that template is pretty neat as well.

Prepare to have your mind blown: It's called the Multiheaded Template

The Ogre
2010-01-24, 12:43 PM
Prepare to have your mind blown: It's called the Multiheaded Template

Huh. I thought it had a more elaborate name than that. Do I feel silly now.

Zaydos
2010-01-24, 12:43 PM
Half-Dragons: I like dragons and it allows me to make a draconic version of whatever creature I want to use to fight the party. (MM)

Half-Celestial: Because I want to play an angel. (MM)

Half-Fey: Cause their LA is actually low enough that it can be worth it. (Fiend Folio)

Phrenic: Cause sometimes I want to use psionic monsters. (XPH)

2xMachina
2010-01-24, 12:44 PM
It's simply Multiheaded I think.

Lernaean (sp?) is for being unkillable by means other than total decapitation/disintegration. And you gain 2 heads per 1 chopped unless cauterized.

Feral, Mineral Warrior is good for +1. Blooded one is also kinda okish.

Half Minotaur for crazy +Str.

Insectile is pretty cool for a +2. 4 more arms!
Winged is also decent. +2LA gets +4 Dex and wings for 2x land (maneuverability depends on dex)

All SS I think except MW (Underdark) and Blooded one (UEast)

Saint (BoED) is great for +2. Exalted though

(BTW, i hate the BoEF contraction since it is so similar with BoED)

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-24, 01:02 PM
Generally speaking, I don't bother with templates unless the LA buy-off (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm) rules are in place.

That being said, I've got about six templates that I generally consider.

Necropolitan - Because Con scores can lead to an early grave. Sadly, I have yet to actually use this template in a game. It's something that I always consider, then either the game falls apart or something else happens to invalidate it. Oh well.

Grave-touched Ghoul - Like Necropolitan, but with stat boosts all-around and natural attacks. Comes with the price tag of +2 LA, but, if you're playing something MAD, this helps. The natural attacks, while pricy to keep effective without Greater Magic Fang come with a Fort Save versus paralysis. Shame it's a fort save, but having a 5% chance each hit to stop the enemy for a couple rounds is never bad.

Dry Lich - Love the template, but I'm usually not one to play divine casters, so I never actually end up using Walker of the Waste to get this bad boy. Very nice, considering the LA is waived with WotW. The bonus HP from Cha is also kind of nice.

Half-Fey - Look, can't a guy just want to have butterfly wings sometimes? Seriously, though, the Con penalty hurts, but I do love me this template.

Half-Nymph - As the above, but with more Con. I'm also a fan of of doing something like this as the action that causes the fear effect gained by the template. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYqB3LNuZ4A)

Draconic - This is mostly here for the relatively cheap Str and Con boosts and claw attacks. The free Darkvision is nice, too.

Mattarias, King.
2010-01-24, 02:50 PM
I love me the Flame-Souled template. Dragon 314. :smallcool: It's very.. Awesome. "What's that, Beholder? You want to use a beam? NO! *BAM!*"

Amphetryon
2010-01-24, 03:00 PM
Unseelie Fey Template, from Dragon #304 (I think). Either my reading comprehension fails or there's a typo somewhere, because there's no way that should be +0; it's bordering on too strong for +1.

Nerocite
2010-01-24, 03:16 PM
Dragonborn (Races of the Dragon). That is all.

9mm
2010-01-24, 03:31 PM
Dragonborn
Half-fey
Phernric
Dark

Lyconthopy is popular with my buddies

Danin
2010-01-24, 04:10 PM
As a player: Dark. That thing is fantastic.

As a DM: Draconic. Simple, easy, adds some nice flavor.

As a DM and a jerk: Acid born when applied to something that has reach, improved grab, and a swim speed. That acid born giant Ooctopus was the worse thing ever.

Thefurmonger
2010-01-24, 04:25 PM
Chalk another Vote for Feral from SS.

One of the most fun (Not Most powerful) Characters I ran was a Feral Were-Bear Barbarian/FB

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-24, 04:27 PM
Chalk another Vote for Feral from SS.

One of the most fun (Not Most powerful) Characters I ran was a Feral Were-Bear Barbarian/FB

Needs more bear warrior!:smalltongue:

The_Shaman
2010-01-24, 04:33 PM
Draconic (Draconomicon/RotD): it's relatively cheap and useful to most characters, especially warriors. Nothing too flashy, just all-around good.