PDA

View Full Version : Does a DM declare readying actions?

MichielHagen
2010-01-24, 08:55 AM
If a DM controlled Wizard readies an action to counterspell do you mention that? Do you even let the players know his turn has been done if readying is all he does.
How about a soldier readying his halberd?

Tokiko Mima
2010-01-24, 09:06 AM
If a DM controlled Wizard readies an action to counterspell do you mention that? Do you even let the players know his turn has been done if readying is all he does.

A DM usually doesn't have to explicitly declare actions that the players can't see or know about. However, I would give them some indication of what is happening if they can see the NPC that readying.

For example, you might say that "the soldier is gripping his halberd tightly, eyes scanning the area with his body tensed and ready to spring into action." Now when the players spring his readied action, they don't feel like it came out of nowhere, because you gave them an indication beforehand.

Vice versa, you should let your NPCs know when a player might be readying an action, but you shouldn't give them the ability to know exactly what the action will be or what the trigger is.

Yuki Akuma
2010-01-24, 09:10 AM
If you're in a fight, it should be pretty obvious when your enemy is sizing you up and waiting for you to act. The DM should declare they're readying some kind of action, but they don't have to say what it is unless it's totally obvious (an archer nocking an arrow and pulling back the string without letting it fly, for instance).

magic9mushroom
2010-01-24, 09:30 AM
They're meant to declare ready actions according to the DMG, but what they reveal about it is iffy. Generally common sense.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-24, 09:54 AM
Generally, I'll give a description, then scribble a short-hand note on a piece of scrap paper, that I place face down, then declare that the NPC has readied an action. This way my players know that I'm not just saying the NPC readied an action and using whatever action I feel like. I have them do the same, that way I'm not tempted to meta-game the NPC's action based on what the player says his character is readied for.

Example: I once had an NPC ready an action to attempt to sunder a player's great sword when he tried to attack. I scribbled out, "sunder GS on attack," and placed it face down. I only told the player that the NPC had readied an action without telling him what. It would've been a much nastier shock if it had actually worked :smalltongue:

Jack_Simth
2010-01-24, 10:02 AM
I do, yes. It has led to interesting actions, such as the party cleric casting a spell, knowing that it meant he'd take a very nasty hit, so that when the Wizard's turn came around, the Teleport to get everyone out of that situation wouldn't be disrupted.

snoopy13a
2010-01-24, 10:22 AM
No the DM doesn't have to declare readying actions. However, this also means the DM cannot metagame when players declare readying actions.

Killer Angel
2010-01-24, 10:33 AM
For example, you might say that "the soldier is gripping his halberd tightly, eyes scanning the area with his body tensed and ready to spring into action." Now when the players spring his readied action, they don't feel like it came out of nowhere, because you gave them an indication beforehand.

Unless is a solitary enemy and the attention of the PCs is focused on him, I never give such details, because in a big fight it's very difficult to distinguish if an archer is aiming and waiting for a casting, or if is simply delaying the action to shoot at the most wounded character at the end of the combat round.
The PCs, of course, know that an archer don't shoot at his turn... they evaluate how to react to such info.

Obviously, when the players declare a readying action, I never use the metaknowledge at my advantage.

arguskos
2010-01-24, 12:19 PM
I declare the NPC is doing something, but the details aren't clear. He's waiting, watching, being at the ready for some action.

When players ready actions, NPCs act appropriately (if they notice), usually by trying to disrupt them if possible (makes sense, if the caster suddenly stops casting, and waits, he's being tricky and stuff). This is obviously provided the NPCs in question are smart enough to deduce that.

Epinephrine
2010-01-24, 01:21 PM
I describe readying-type actions, the players get that they have readied. I allow a Sense Motive check to determine what the intended readied action is. Enemies trained in bluff can try to not give it away, by faking reeling back from a blow, or feigning mental attack, or seeming to poke around in their pack, etc. But wehave obviously taken some liberties :)

Zaydos
2010-01-24, 01:30 PM
I will say the enemy sets his halberd for a charge since that is a visibly apparent one. For others, it might be the enemy mage prepares to cast a spell, he holds his sword at the ready; etc. What could be discovered by looking.

If a PC ever bothered to use Sense Motive on it they could probably find out more, but they never think of doing it (and usually my NPCs have higher bluff than PC sense motive).

Killer Angel
2010-01-24, 02:01 PM
I describe readying-type actions, the players get that they have readied. I allow a Sense Motive check to determine what the intended readied action is. Enemies trained in bluff can try to not give it away

Indeed, an enemy can use bluff even to show a different intention than his real one, if succesful Vs sense motive (That enemy caster is clearly waiting for the Barbarian's charge, no, he's not even looking your cleric... :smallcool:).

Ashram
2010-01-24, 02:08 PM
Just remember that by the rules, you can't ready an action out of combat.