PDA

View Full Version : Arena Exhibition

Karen Lynn
2010-01-24, 12:23 PM
This is an Arena sparring match between my Character, Adrian Del'Moor (http://playrpgonline.net/3eprofiler/view.php?id=4319), and hustlertwo's Character, Fiorella Branford (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=132451) in the cloud arena

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab330/ArenaManager/Arenas/05-clouds.png

**This is not an official match, merely a sparring match.

Karen Lynn
2010-01-24, 12:25 PM
I make no last minute purchases, I choose to start the round psionically focused.

Initiative [roll0] + additional four for Imp. Init.

hustlertwo
2010-01-24, 01:25 PM
Ah, Fiorella. Haven't used her for months, still waiting for a good 2nd level round for her.

Since she's going back to start, she won't have her Arcanist's Gloves (unfortunately), or her crossbow (initial gold for her was basically all spent on the familiar).

Init: [roll0]

I'll start in green, unless you'd rather do so.

Karen Lynn
2010-01-24, 03:13 PM
Nah, that's good.

Move M-2 to K-11

Use Hide in the clouds [roll0]

Edit: By the by, I'm loving your comic.

hustlertwo
2010-01-24, 04:18 PM
Glad to hear it!

So we're doing no LoS checks, just pretending not to know where each other is, or what? Just curious.

Start in M-25, go to M-15, ready action:

Color Spray if opponent comes within range.

Karen Lynn
2010-01-24, 04:38 PM
Move:
K-11 to K-15

Spot check[DC10 to spot each other sound fair?]
[roll0]

If I spot you, I'll go from there, otherwise, I'll continue to K-20

Since you have a readied action, I'll wait for your check.

Edit: Spot successful, But I'll still wait for your action.

hustlertwo
2010-01-24, 06:05 PM
Actually, unless there's clouds in between us (I don't think there are), spot checks aren't needed. Arena tends to go with the notion that unless LoS is broken by someone hiding or some sort of obstacle (a building, a wall not made of glass, or in this case Obscuring Mist-ish clouds), everyone can automatically see everyone, regardless of distance. Weather's irrelevant, all maps tend to be sunlight.

Readied goes off (I think you're within 15 feet, if not let me know), so Color Spray. DC 14 Will save or go unconscious.

Karen Lynn
2010-01-24, 06:20 PM
It's clear between us, and I'm within range.

Will save: [roll0]

C'mon, lucky die roll.[/pray] :smallbiggrin:

hustlertwo
2010-01-24, 06:24 PM
Lucky and how, you are unaffected.

I 5 foot step back to M-16 and fire off a Magic Missile.

[roll0] damage.

And then that's about all I can do.

Karen Lynn
2010-01-24, 06:28 PM
Wowzers! O.O

Now that your action is finished, I move towards you and attack.

Attack:
Expending focus for psionic weapon[+2d6 Damage for melee weapon]
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1] + [roll2]
If crit, confirm:
[roll3]
If crit confirms, damage:
[roll4]

*Psionic weapon, to my knowledge, does not get boosted damage for crits.

Edit: Fail sauce on the attack...

Edit2: down to 10HP

hustlertwo
2010-01-24, 06:40 PM
OK, now that you're adjacent to me, you need to do a Fort save, DC 12, or become sickened. Fiorella stinks, after all (specifically, with the Stench of the Dead). If sickened, I think it's -2 to attacks, damage, saves, all that stuff.

5 foot back to M-17, let's go for the big kill, it being an exhibition and all.

Caster level check for Seeking Ray: [roll0] DC 8.

If successful, [roll1] vs. Touch AC

Damage: [roll2] electrical.

Fiddlesticks. Spell poops out, nothing happens.

Karen Lynn
2010-01-24, 06:41 PM
Fort Save
[roll0]

I knew that trait would come in handy...

Edit: Sickened.

I five foot step into the fog, then...

Move from M-14>N-13>O-14>P-15

hustlertwo
2010-01-24, 07:01 PM
Looked it up, apparently the DC was 14, not 12. No matter. You're sickened for [roll0] additional rounds after leaving my side.

Lacking the constitution to engage in a bug hunt, Fiorella stays where she be, and readies an action:

To cast Magic Missile on the foe, should he reappear

Karen Lynn
2010-01-24, 07:05 PM
Hidden in the clouds, I spend the round trying to regain my psionic focus.
Concentration DC 20
[roll0]

Failed.

hustlertwo
2010-01-24, 07:20 PM
Same readied as before. Also, I like you (and not just because you complemented my comic, though of course that doesn't hurt :smallamused: ), so here's a tip: always have some sort of ranged weapon as backup, for any character. It's not quite as bad for you, since at least you have good movement (I've seen a lot of guys with no ranged attack options and like 20 move, they basically have no chance), but there's still plenty of situations where it could be beneficial for you. For example, if your opponent climbs on top of a cliff or wall (happens a lot in some maps). So a sling, a couple javelins, or an alchemist's fire or two if you want to sacrifice range for the ability to cut through people with high AC's by giving them a touch attack. Just always have some sort of ranged backup. My two barbarians have both won fights thanks to ranged weaponry (namely, javelins for Train and a sling for Battle Janitor), even though it's not really what they're designed for.

And yes, I know you have the penalty to ranged attacks due to your flaw, but I'd still say it's a good idea. Slings cost nothing, and push comes to shove you have a 1 in 20 chance of hitting anyone, no matter their AC or your poor to-hit chance.

Karen Lynn
2010-01-24, 07:24 PM
Attempt to regain focus
[roll0] And yes, that's after the -2 penalty.

Fail

Sickness lasts until the end of my next turn.

What makes you like me?

The ranged issue will be solved in one level[Throw mind blade class feature]. Though maybe I should've gotten something for now...

And concentration to regain focus is a full round action that provokes AoO.

--

In a few levels, I will gain access to skate, which boosts my speed by another 15ft., and a bit later on, getting Speed of thought. That's another 10 ft. I wanted to make a hit and run type character here.

Wow... Speed of 70ft per round. I make it long enough with him, and he can really hurt on the hit and run.

hustlertwo
2010-01-24, 08:40 PM
Keep in mind it's at least 3 wins before you level up, and possibly 4 (depending on the round type). A lot can come up before then. Also, don't plan too much for later levels; for example, right now there's maybe three or four level 3 characters in all of Arena. No one has reached level 4, nor will they until we have enough for a level 3 tournament. Simply put, even if you always win your guy has a good chance of not being higher than level 2 before the end of the year, and virtually no chance of getting higher than 3.

Well, maybe I like you, and maybe I like hearing myself talk. It can be both, right?

Oh, and same readied.

Karen Lynn
2010-01-25, 04:16 AM
Come on, dice.

Concentration DC20
[roll0]

Full-round action to regain psionic focus

No longer sickened after this.

Edit: Oh for the love of... *glares* Your accursed sickness...

And perfectly logical to like hearing yourself talk.

Ah well. This is all for fun, so I don't really mind not making it to mid range levels. I've got another character in the wings as we speak. Working on a ranged combatant as well.

hustlertwo
2010-01-25, 04:26 PM
Same readied. And I'm fine with just letting you get an auto-succeed on regaining the focus.

Karen Lynn
2010-01-25, 04:27 PM
All right. I'll take the auto succeed.

Turn ends after full round to gain focus. Now we can begin anew and end this.

hustlertwo
2010-01-25, 04:37 PM
Sounds fine.

New readied action:

Let's go for the W again. Ready a Kelgore's Fire Bolt upon establishing LoS with my opponent.

Karen Lynn
2010-01-25, 04:41 PM
I spend a move action to drink my potion[cure light wounds]
[roll0]

Add to ten for new HP total

Standard action to 'tap' my tattoo, manifesting the power force disc. +4 shield bonus to AC

Stats

HP: 16
AC:19[full], 11[touch]
Force disc: 10 rounds

five foot step north out of the clouds. LoS established between us.

hustlertwo
2010-01-25, 05:09 PM
Kelgore's Fire Bolt time!

[roll0] (+2 for Bloodline of Fire, +1 for Spellgifted)

DC 14 Reflex to halve.

And then on my turn, my last spell (since this is level 1).

Magic Missile Dos!

[roll1]

So basically, if you halve the damage you live and probably kill me, since my only other way to attack is punching. If not, I imagine I win. Either way, good match.

Karen Lynn
2010-01-25, 05:11 PM
Save or die time...
[roll0]

And that's game...

Karen Lynn
2010-01-25, 05:16 PM
Man... And to think, all I needed was to connect on that hit earlier...:smallbiggrin:

hustlertwo
2010-01-25, 05:26 PM
Good match. If you want another, just tell me who you want to fight. As for the where, I'd say we skip the LoS thing and just do a glass arena, or River.

Karen Lynn
2010-01-25, 05:28 PM
Glass arena looks like fun. I think I'm more likely to get taken down by Train rapidly, so let's go with him. xD Want to just continue here? Or shall I build a new forum?

hustlertwo
2010-01-25, 05:33 PM
Up to you. Multiple exhibition matches are often housed on one thread, but if you want to make another, also works.

OK, level 1 Train...no masterwork weapons or armor, naturally. No Healing Belt either, those are 800, somewhat out of reach for starting fighters. I think that covers it.

Init: [roll0]

Karen Lynn
2010-01-25, 05:35 PM
Glass Arena

http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab330/ArenaManager/Arenas/08-kyaces_glass_arena.png

Init check:
[roll0]

Starting psionically focused.

Would you say I still have my tattoo and potion, since these are unofficial matches? Your call.

ArenaManager
2010-01-25, 05:38 PM
Yeah. Items are never permanently consumed in exhibitions, the only rule is you can't buy more than you have in current gold for that character.

Will my Bladeproof Skin reduce damage from your mindblade, or would it be immune to DR since it's not a physical item?

hustlertwo
2010-01-25, 05:40 PM
Whoops, forgot I was logged in as the Manager, was going to pull off the code for the map before you beat me to it.

Karen Lynn
2010-01-25, 05:40 PM
Bladeproof Skin has DR3/Bludgeoning, correct?

A Mindblade is akin to a shortsword in all ways, so yes. DR applies.

hustlertwo
2010-01-25, 07:49 PM
Yeah, it's DR 3/B. I didn't know if mindblades were considered magical in terms of damage, or anything like that. If they're identical to short swords, what's the point of them, aside from being free and unsunderable (and, I guess being an unlimited use range weapon once you get to throw it)?

Anyhow, I rolled my init already, your turn.

Karen Lynn
2010-01-26, 03:04 AM
Ah, it counts as a magic weapon for overcoming DR. Built in +X to attack/damage(=to 1/4th class level, rounded down), and psychic strike, which is effectively a slightly stronger sneak attack anytime it connects.

Also, you have the higher initiative. 'Tis your go.

hustlertwo
2010-01-26, 11:49 AM
Oh, I missed your roll. I cant believe I beat you with the massive modifier you have.

I'll start in red, specifically B-13. Guisarme is in both hands. Double move to N-7.

Karen Lynn
2010-01-26, 12:39 PM
Move y-13 to q-10
Ready action:

When foe comes within ten feet
Standard action, activate psionic tattoo of force disc to gain +4 shield bonus to AC

hustlertwo
2010-01-26, 12:52 PM
Move to Q-8, attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Karen Lynn
2010-01-26, 12:57 PM
Lucky me. Also, check the spoiler above. AC now at 19.

5 foot step forward to get in range. Expend focus for Psionic weapon.

Attack:
[roll0]
Damage:
[roll1]
Psionic Weapon:
[roll2]
Damage+Psi.Weap.-DR3=__

hustlertwo
2010-01-26, 01:24 PM
You said it counts as a magic weapon for overcoming DR, so I think you get to ignore my Bladeproof Skin. Not that it matters this time.

5 foot step back, activate Whirling Frenzy.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Wow, some nice failure there.

Oh, and it's in the SRD if you want to see it, but Whirling Frenzy means I get to make two attacks as a full-action attack at a -2 penalty (my attack bonus stays unchanged because it also gives a +4 Strength bonus, they cancel out), and I get a +2 to AC (so I am now also at 19). Save bonus too, but I doubt that comes into play.

Karen Lynn
2010-01-27, 04:53 AM
Five foot step towards you

According to the SRD, it looks like my mind blade does overcome.

Attack:
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]