PDA

View Full Version : Amalgam Template?

dethkruzer
2010-01-24, 02:09 PM
I remeber reading about this amalgam template that apperantlyy let's you fuse several creatures into one or something.

I just wanted ask: Where can I find this template and how does it approximately work?

AustontheGreat1
2010-01-24, 02:11 PM
could you mean symbiotic or tauric? both are in savage species.

dethkruzer
2010-01-24, 02:13 PM
nope, i have savage species and neither of those are what i'm looking for.

jokey665
2010-01-24, 02:32 PM
I love templates with a passion, and there are too many I love to state in a single thread (which probably explains why I still reply every time one of these template threads crops up :smallredface: ). A few choice picks are:

Amalgam [Advanced Bestary]: If I was stuck in a DM wasteland with all templates taken away but one of my choice to add to monsters...this would be it. The sheer versatility of a template that combines two or more creatures into an amalgamation is amazing.

From a thread on the first page...

dethkruzer
2010-01-24, 02:38 PM
Advance Bestiary... Is that an AD&D book?

jokey665
2010-01-24, 02:41 PM
Advance Bestiary... Is that an AD&D book?

Click. (http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=advanced+bestiary&l=1) 10char

dethkruzer
2010-01-24, 02:44 PM
My thanks for the help, you were of great help:smallsmile:

Zaydos
2010-01-24, 02:55 PM
Also Tauric and Symbiotic are in the Monster Manual II not Savage Species and both do in some form combine 2 creatures.

AustontheGreat1
2010-01-24, 03:18 PM
Also Tauric and Symbiotic are in the Monster Manual II not Savage Species and both do in some form combine 2 creatures.

Have you read savage species? it isn't uncommon for wizards to reprint material.

Zaydos
2010-01-24, 03:30 PM
Have you read savage species? it isn't uncommon for wizards to reprint material.

yes. They did reprint thri-kreen and desmodu between the two for example. Don't know why the OP couldn't find them then.

Heliomance
2010-01-24, 03:43 PM
He did find them. They weren't what he was looking for.

Rappy
2010-01-24, 03:48 PM
Advanced Bestiary is from Green Ronin. Although one could extrapolate the basic ideas of the template without owning the book as follows:

Add the ability scores of the two creatures together, then divide by 2. The result is the creature's new ability scores.
The creature's size is that of the larger of the two amalgamed creatures.
The amalgam gains the movements of both creatures, with the speed based on that of whichever creature has the higher base speed for each movement type.
The creature gains the attacks of both creatures unless they conflict (I.E., slam vs. claws), scaled up to deal damage as its new size of necessary.

Of course, this doesn't include the table showing the new creature's type based on the type of the two creatures used for the amalgam, but I imagine that could be worked out with common sense.

...On the other hand, the template makes my job easier, so I still love it. :smalltongue:

sofawall
2010-01-24, 04:34 PM
Advanced Bestiary is from Green Ronin. Although one could extrapolate the basic ideas of the template without owning the book as follows:

Add the ability scores of the two creatures together, then divide by 2. The result is the creature's new ability scores.
The creature's size is that of the larger of the two amalgamed creatures.
The amalgam gains the movements of both creatures, with the speed based on that of whichever creature has the higher base speed for each movement type.
The creature gains the attacks of both creatures unless they conflict (I.E., slam vs. claws), scaled up to deal damage as its new size of necessary.

Of course, this doesn't include the table showing the new creature's type based on the type of the two creatures used for the amalgam, but I imagine that could be worked out with common sense.

...On the other hand, the template makes my job easier, so I still love it. :smalltongue:
Man, can that template ever be abused.

dethkruzer
2010-01-25, 04:24 AM
Well i acutally bought the book like an hour or two ago, and not only is it abusable(sp?) but it can also be stacked. Just think of the endless nightmare-infested possibilities.

Rappy
2010-01-25, 04:37 AM
Exactly. Because nothing says "Your DM hates you" quite like a black dragohydrarassque. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2010-01-25, 04:56 AM
Well, you could make a budget hydra by fusing an octopus to something big. A bear wouldn't be a bad start.

Steveotep
2010-01-25, 01:55 PM
The Amalgam Template was reprinted in Monte Cook Presents: The Year's Best d20, Volume One. This book from Malhavoc Press contains all the best stuff from 2004. Unfortunately there was never a Volume Two.

Deth Muncher
2010-01-25, 02:00 PM
Well, you could make a budget hydra by fusing an octopus to something big. A bear wouldn't be a bad start.

I like all of this forever.