PDA

View Full Version : What was your first 9th level spell?

shimmercat
2010-01-24, 04:53 PM
My 3.5 travel cleric (Rogue 1, Cleric 10, Contemplative PrC 7) just reached level 18 -- and that means 9TH LEVEL SPELLS. The holy grail of the spellcaster! I've been playing this cleric since he was 5th level and the game started in August of 2008, so this is REALLY EXCITING.

First spell to cast: True Resurrection. We had a suicide bombing, and now I can actually question the bomber, who turned himself into a Fine Red Mist in the process of blowing up a large portion of our caravel. The bomber was one of my followers (Leadership) and had been with the ship for almost a year -- it's expected that he was under some sort of compulsion... but how did he get that compulsion on him in the first place?

If/When you had a spellcaster reach 9th level spells, what was the first spell you cast? Why was it that spell?

------

My fluff for the True Rez (I am so proud my rez fluff):

Dieder took a deep breath as he reached for the velour pouch and dumped the contents on the middle of the table. Diamonds cascaded over themselves in a thick pile. It was time to get started.

Dieder steeled himself and began the magic. "Volker Schumaker, who died aboard da Good Fortune, yesterday."

This spell felt different than the other resurrection spells as the heat coursed to his hands. His fingers glowed red-hot, hotter than he had ever been in his life, like the wood of the table would scorch under his touch, like his own flesh would burn from the heat of it. The diamonds melted and expanded under his touch.

Like a sculptor, he drew the mass of glowing diamond plasma down, forming a pair of "legs." Dieder pulled one of the "legs" through the closed ring of the leg irons before returning to the now-huge mass in the middle of the table. The spell told him exactly what to do -- pull the plasma up, form shoulders, arms, a head.

Dieder withdrew a moment, gasping and gazing in amazement at the human body solidifying on the table. Details formed -- toes, hair on the legs and chest, the thin lines on the interior of the newly-created hands. Volker's face condensed out of the mass that was his head, the young man's features glowing beneath the translucent skin.

The spell was not done, but from this point Dieder had done it before. The newly-created body was whole and had blood to flow, but it still had no life. Dieder's mouth formed a line as he placed one hand upon the body's chest above the heart, and his other hand upon the forehead. He muttered the final words of the spell, pressed hard with his hands, and staggered back.

Naked and shackled, Volker shuddered.

Myou
2010-01-24, 05:04 PM
I have never got to level 17 to cast one. ;-;

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-24, 05:12 PM
My Cleric of Olidamarra was bumped to Level 20 with the rest of the party because the DM had a load of powerful monsters he was excited to send at us, but a Level 8 party wouldn't have survived them.

First useful spell I cast was a True Ressurection, because Sephiroth decapitated our Ranger.

Actual first spell I cast was Miracle to summon a shed-load of assorted booze and wimminz to help the townspeople overcome the trauma of Tiamat stomping on their country.

arguskos
2010-01-24, 05:14 PM
Ironically, it was Wish. I had a Wiz 17 who really DESPERATELY needed to get out of where he was, and so, I used a Wish spell to get out of dodge. Took the whole party too.

The fluff was that when I cast it, I got a momentary look at the underlying principles of magic for the world, and I made a tiny tiny alteration, just enough to move me and mine somewhere else.

masterjoda99
2010-01-24, 05:21 PM
For me, it was Summon Monster IX. Because I was a Malconvoker. And it was the penultimate battle. And there was room for me to summon two buffed up colossal fiendish spiders. And a tarrasque, but that's beside the point.

Weezer
2010-01-24, 05:21 PM
Sadly I've never actually gotten the chance to use one in game

Ernir
2010-01-24, 05:24 PM
Gate

But I was the DM. Never cast one as a character. :smallfrown:

Flickerdart
2010-01-24, 05:26 PM
For me, it was Summon Monster IX. Because I was a Malconvoker. And it was the penultimate battle. And there was room for me to summon two buffed up colossal fiendish spiders. And a tarrasque, but that's beside the point.
I don't think you can Summon a Tarrasque, which is a unique monster, you have to Call it.

Dr Bwaa
2010-01-24, 05:30 PM
The only full-caster I've ever played is a cleric who wishes he'd been a paladin in a very low-magic campaign set in 1340s Europe (history alters the moment the campaign starts; there's a devil insurrection of some kind that we haven't totally figured out). He's about level 8 :smalltongue: I've only had one character make it past level 17, and she's a Bard.

BenTheJester
2010-01-24, 05:31 PM
Storm of Vengeance.

Poor army.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-24, 05:31 PM
Time Stop.

Starscream
2010-01-24, 05:37 PM
Gate. Had lots of fun with that one.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-24, 06:25 PM
We play pretty humanoid-centric games, so I'm probably gonna pick weird when the time comes. Nothing like sitting on a nuke, just in case.

Heliomance
2010-01-24, 06:52 PM

You summoned the tarrasque? That's freaking awesome.

Zeta Kai
2010-01-24, 06:58 PM
As a DM, I had a BBEG (CE Sorcerer with a necromancy fetish) spam energy drain like it was going out of style. That part of SoD sure gave me a case of déjà vu. :smallwink:

As a player, I think it was power word kill. I was a War-domain cleric with a mad-on for a pesky recurring villain. As soon was his health was low, I dropped him like a bad habit. Good times. :smallbiggrin:

Lunawarrior0
2010-01-24, 06:59 PM
The only time I ever got to cast lvl 9 spells I was a Cleric, I just loaded up on Miracle, used it mostly to cast any spell that was lvl 8 or lower any time I wanted, kind of a waste, but I was never caught unprepared. I don't think I ever cast my lvl 9 domain.

The Deej
2010-01-24, 07:01 PM
Summon Elemental Monolith.

fun times.

Dyllan
2010-01-24, 07:07 PM
Lets see, that would be for the BBEG fight for the campaign...

It went like this... I beat him on initiative. Time Stop, three delayed blast fireballs... after that I cast Celerity, Time Stop, three more delayed blast fireballs and a greater teleport so I wasn't a sitting duck.

The rest of the party dealt with the BBEG, and the one minion that didn't die. I teleported back in after I recovered from Celerity, but the battle was mostly over by then.

Celerity is now banned in all our games.

Raiki
2010-01-24, 07:08 PM
Well, I know the OP said "spells" but I played a level 17+ Psion (Telepath) long before I played a level 17+ Wizard...so I have to say Microcosm. Followed immediately after by Assimilate. :smallbiggrin:

But my first actual 9th level Spell? I think it was Time Stop, but Prismatic Sphere might have actually come first. It's been awhile.

~R~

Volkov
2010-01-24, 07:16 PM
Summon Necron monolith. I am completely serious. It sure did make the humans run, and run fast. The necrons ended up killing all the humans before we could get into melee range though.

Glimbur
2010-01-24, 07:20 PM
Mass Heal. As an interesting aside, I cast two 10th level (effectively) spells before casting Mass Heal to mess up that Shadow of the Void that we otherwise would have had trouble with.

Saph
2010-01-24, 07:26 PM
Shapechange. It was awesome.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-24, 07:33 PM
As a DM, Miracle. I forget what spell it was emulating.
As a player, Extended Veil of Undeath, along with the rest of the buff suite of the epic cleric I just made.

taltamir
2010-01-24, 07:39 PM
I have never got to level 17 to cast one. ;-;

likewise...
the highest level spell I ever cast was disintegrate

Dr.Epic
2010-01-24, 07:57 PM
I've never played a caster that reached that level. I rarely play cast and most of the campaigns I'm in don't last too long.

Volkov
2010-01-24, 07:59 PM
My second ninth level spell was open portal to Soviet russia and put in a lifetime's supply of vodka. Hilarity ensued when alcohol mad armies smashed their way through the enemy's castle to get the precious, precious liquid.

Drakevarg
2010-01-24, 08:03 PM
Sadly, the highest-level campaign I've ever played in had a DM that didn't allow spells higher than 3rd level. So, the biggest spell I've ever cast was fireball.

ken-do-nim
2010-01-24, 08:03 PM
Time stop - from Orcus.

Volkov
2010-01-24, 08:04 PM
Sadly, the highest-level campaign I've ever played in had a DM that didn't allow spells higher than 3rd level. So, the biggest spell I've ever cast was fireball.

All of my characters would laugh at a fireball, then kill the offending wizard with naught much more than a unsharpened pencil.

Drakevarg
2010-01-24, 08:07 PM
All of my characters would laugh at a fireball, then kill the offending wizard with naught much more than a unsharpened pencil.

Which is exactly why everyone in the party was either crossclass wizard/fighter or wizard/rogue. Apart from the ability to set whatever we wanted on fire, we really didn't have much use for magic.

Oh, and this was a 2nd Edition game.

GoC
2010-01-24, 08:07 PM
As a DM it was Gate(Balor).
Never cast one as a player.:smallfrown:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-24, 08:08 PM
Only ever played one guy that high. An 80 year old, lovable story teller with a crooked leg yet had walked the world... who also happened to be a high level psion who always saw what the path had in store for him.

What did he do? He wrecked the DM's entrance for the next step of the campaign. Big bad thing happens to us and our airship crashed into a city. Mahogany uses Time Regression, walks back a few rounds and warns everyone. Still crashed, but at least we were prepared for it.

Eldariel
2010-01-24, 08:12 PM
Ever? No recollection whatsoever. In 3.5? Time Stop. It was awesome, and figured "tons of Delayed Blast Fireballs seems good" which gave birth to my first 3.5 Wizard. Yes, it's crude and inefficient, but at least it's good for killing one target that's not immune to fire (no, I did NOT know of Searing Spell or even Energy Substitution back then; not really metamagic in general since "ZOMG LEVEL COSTS, NAAAAY!")

Volkov
2010-01-24, 08:13 PM
Which is exactly why everyone in the party was either crossclass wizard/fighter or wizard/rogue. .

To laugh at fireballs and kill wizards with unsharpened pencils?

shimmercat
2010-01-24, 08:24 PM
This thread has proven to be fun. XD

My character is kinda anti-killing (he prefers to let the tanks and the druid do it) so no spells that bring death (he was pretty upset after using Word of Chaos the one time he tried it...).

My typical spell list will probably be Mass Heal, with Prismatic Sphere (Protection domain) as the domain spell. And he can spontaneously cast Miracle (Luck domain) and Teleport Ship (Travel domain homebrew, what it does should be obvious).

He's going to be the first person in the history of the world to cast Teleport Ship! 8D Can't wait for that -- DM says that he'll be sure to make it DRAMATIC. :smallbiggrin:

Eldariel
2010-01-24, 08:27 PM
Just a tip, Miracle is tons of fun. ANY 8th-or-lower divine or 7th other spell at your fingertips for free with ONE spell and ONE 9th level slot. Doesn't get better than that. If you have any decree of encyclopedia memory, you can literally deal with anything with it, and generally with quite a bit style to boot. And as it doesn't have an XP cost unlike Wish, go nuts. Spread your god's glory...and look good doing it!

Jergmo
2010-01-24, 08:34 PM
My DM never fixed Gate, although he knew I did it for my own campaign he's in. To punish him for this, my level 17 necromancer will be-a-Gating in a Shadow Of The Void (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/shadowOfTheVoid.htm) every once in a while.

Alex Ashgrave
2010-01-24, 08:39 PM
Playing an epic game. 25 Wizard, 5 Archmage. Power word kill. Only high level spell I used, cause I was new to the game and failed a Knowledge (How does this spell work dangit) check-so I stuck with low levels for the rest.

The DM was expecting it-and had even advised me to finish it that way. Goood times.
Man I was such an nub.....

Drakevarg
2010-01-24, 08:43 PM
To laugh at fireballs and kill wizards with unsharpened pencils?

To survive the inevitable unsharpened pencil assault. After all, "wizard without spells" is just another term for "food."

Volkov
2010-01-24, 08:45 PM
To survive the inevitable unsharpened pencil assault. After all, "wizard without spells" is just another term for "food."

From a level 172 Black Scale Lizard folk fighter?

Pyro_Azer
2010-01-24, 08:45 PM
For me it was time stop. In fact it was two time stops back to back.

Knaight
2010-01-24, 08:51 PM
My DM never fixed Gate, although he knew I did it for my own campaign he's in. To punish him for this, my level 17 necromancer will be-a-Gating in a Shadow Of The Void (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/shadowOfTheVoid.htm) every once in a while.

That really didn't look very powerful until I saw blightfire. The aura just tops that off beautifully. That's impressive.

Drakevarg
2010-01-24, 08:54 PM
From a level 172 Black Scale Lizard folk fighter?

Given our large supply of gamebreaking items, probably. My sword in particular had a one-time-use "kill anything" ability.

And at level 172, the unsharpened pencil is kind of irrelevent. "Anything in your hands" is the same thing as "unstoppable superweapon." I was assuming your character was still on this side of sane levels of power.

Jergmo
2010-01-24, 09:05 PM
Given our large supply of gamebreaking items, probably. My sword in particular had a one-time-use "kill anything" ability.

And at level 172, the unsharpened pencil is kind of irrelevent. "Anything in your hands" is the same thing as "unstoppable superweapon." I was assuming your character was still on this side of sane levels of power.

A potato. For great justice!

shimmercat
2010-01-24, 09:25 PM
Just a tip, Miracle is tons of fun. ANY 8th-or-lower divine or 7th other spell at your fingertips for free with ONE spell and ONE 9th level slot. Doesn't get better than that. If you have any decree of encyclopedia memory, you can literally deal with anything with it, and generally with quite a bit style to boot. And as it doesn't have an XP cost unlike Wish, go nuts. Spread your god's glory...and look good doing it! I've been sworn to not "abuse" it -- after all, my god has to "approve." :smalltongue: And anyways, I woouldn't want to steal the glory from the other players. The druid's got to shock and summon, the barbarian's got to rage and bash, the paladin's got to make his sword large, and the rogue's got to stick people in the bum.

I'm the cleric -- I've just got to patch up their wounds. And be the messiah, of course, all while letting the rest of the party think I still NEED them.

But yes, I am aware of the power inherent in being able to spontaneously cast Miracle. I just plan to leave it for the times it would be AWESOME, and in the meantime, continue to be my typical healbot self. :smallamused:

Zanatos777
2010-01-24, 10:49 PM
I have only gotten to the point to cast these spells once. I never go the chance though as the final fight was a red dragon with an anti-magic field.

jiriku
2010-01-24, 11:16 PM
Mmmm, 9th level spells, good times.

My first 9th level spell was wail of the banshee, on round one of a battle against a pack of mid-level demons. The wail killed them all, every one.

My second 9th level spell I cast was gate . I gated the BBEG in from his planar stronghold in the Abyss. He was just eating breakfast and reading the morning paper when fwoomp! Suddenly he was on the prime surrounded by a party of buffed-up high-level adventurers, all of whom had readied an action to kick ass. We dropped him in two rounds with no damage taken. Good times.

Calimehter
2010-01-24, 11:41 PM
True story.

Many years ago during one of my college campaigns (D&D 2nd ed) when I first started RPGs, a mid-level fighter type of mine found a nice looking sword in a treasure hoard. The party wizard cast Detect Magic, and sure enough it was magical, with a decent power level.

I said out loud . . . "Gee, I wish I knew what this sword did"

And Lo, I had cast my very first Wish!!! :smallcool: Too bad it was *drumroll* to identify a Sword of 3 Wishes that had only 1 Wish remaining.

Epic Fail.

It was the last day of the campaign and the last day of the semester, though, so we were mostly rolling around on the floor laughing than we were regretful of missed opportunity. To this day, it makes for a silly anecdote almost anytime a PC in one of our campaigns finds an unidentified item.

Superglucose
2010-01-24, 11:55 PM
Summon Monster IX was my first spell to cast, to summon 1d4+1 Avorals. I rolled max.

So far all they've been doing is using Magic Missile to pewpew a monolith, but in a second they'll start healing the party!

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-25, 12:38 AM
Summon Monster IX was my first spell to cast, to summon 1d4+1 Avorals. I rolled max.

So far all they've been doing is using Magic Missile to pewpew a monolith, but in a second they'll start healing the party!

Now I wonder where I've seen that sequence of events?

Deepblue706
2010-01-25, 12:50 AM
Freedom.

It was to save a friend.

OldTrees
2010-01-25, 12:55 AM
My first 9th level spell was Fallen Planetar from the Baldurs Gate Throne of Bhaal expansion.

My first paper and pencil caster to make it to 9th level spells was a undead army necromancer. I didn't cast a single spell above animate dead. :(

I was to busy commanding my 2HD flying zombies to attack/attack of opportunity so we often skipped my casters turn.

My current character is an updated build of the same character and will probably not cast above Animate Dread Warrior.

Still armies combined with taunting equal foolhardy and dead foes. :biggrin::biggrin:

Kurald Galain
2010-01-25, 03:31 AM
If/When you had a spellcaster reach 9th level spells, what was the first spell you cast? Why was it that spell?
In my case, Succor. It's a 2E spell that allows you to teleport to a designated safe area as essentially a free action. It was this spell because the DM gave me (and the other party wizard) a free spell of each level that he selected in the hope they would be useful for the campaign.

potatocubed
2010-01-25, 04:23 AM
A potato. For great justice!

You rang?

Also, time stop, followed by an argument regarding what I could and couldn't 'set up' while it was in effect.

dobu
2010-01-25, 04:54 AM
mordenkaine's disjunktion. on about 100 dominated beholder (who killed themselves afterwards) :)

Killer Angel
2010-01-25, 05:27 AM

You don't know Volkov... to understand the power range of his games, it's sufficient to read the threads started by him.
this was his first thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112830)(as far as I can remember).
And this the last one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131305) (see also the last page, last Volkov's post, on how the fight ended).

You have been educated. :smallwink:

(that said, for 3rd lev. spells, haste is better than fireball)

ken-do-nim
2010-01-25, 06:49 AM

What many people don't realize (or don't care) is that if you have a wizard or sorcerer with augment summoning and you manage to get 5 avorals, that's 80 x 5 = 400 points of healing for the party - from the arcane spellcaster!

Amiria
2010-01-25, 07:03 AM
When Amiria reached 17th level she got Shapechange and Time Stop as her two free spells. The first she cast was Shapechange, iirc. Just to test it out and have some fun flying around as a dragon and stuff.

BigBadBugbear
2010-01-25, 07:15 AM
None... Never reached 17th lvl as a char

Optimystik
2010-01-25, 07:43 AM
Time Stop.

This, followed by a pile of buffs, when we got ambushed.

drengnikrafe
2010-01-25, 11:38 AM
The closest I ever got was either the level 8 campaign in which I played an Evoker (and cast, using action points, maximized, quickened, empowered fireballs, which, I believe, would take up 12th level spell slots), or the time on of my PCs wanted to play an 18th level campaign and I built a villain. That one never got off the ground, since my PCs struggle to build functional 5th level characters.

Grommen
2010-01-25, 12:03 PM
I've had two characters capable of 9th level spells in nearly 20 years of gaming. I think on old 2nd edition Cleric that would be capable of it now a days but back then he got just the 7th Level Divine ones.

I'm pretty sure that the 1st 9th level spell was Meteor Swarm (Hay it didn't suck back then). Just something about dropping planetoids on someone that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Then we wished ourselves in to near divinity and went about plaguing he world with out bad assness.

Can't recall with my second Arcane spellcaster what her 1st 9th level was. Most likely not a 9th level spell but a Heightened Prismatic Spray. Ah good times. Make a DC27 save or end up Poisoned, Insane, cooked, jolted, frozen, or get an all expense paid trip.......somewhere!

Munchkin-Masher
2010-01-25, 03:45 PM
Only ever played one guy that high. An 80 year old, lovable story teller with a crooked leg yet had walked the world... who also happened to be a high level psion who always saw what the path had in store for him.

What did he do? He wrecked the DM's entrance for the next step of the campaign. Big bad thing happens to us and our airship crashed into a city. Mahogany uses Time Regression, walks back a few rounds and warns everyone. Still crashed, but at least we were prepared for it.

Only ever played one guy that high.

one guy that high.

guy... high.

HA... Also mine was Crushing Fist of Spite. Oh the glory.

Dust
2010-01-25, 04:50 PM
Imprisonment specifically for the BBEG. I was young and foolish.

Bagelz
2010-01-25, 05:08 PM
miracle- on my cleric/alienist (which i never actually got to cast)
my wiz(necromancer) was energy drain (no save vs neg levels = win) because we had a batman wiz and a druid for more utility spells that game.

in general i would suggest wish/miracle.

AslanCross
2010-01-25, 05:37 PM
I once had an 18th level caster for a one-shot adventure (Prisoner of the Castle Perilous). I willingly gave up 9th level spells to get Silver Flame Pyromancer/Fatespinner.

Ironically, although he only had 8th level spells and the first spell Acererak cast in the final encounter was time stop, my Silver Flame Pyromancer survived that time-stopped turn and blew Acererak away with a single fireball.

peacenlove
2010-01-25, 05:38 PM
As a DM my first 9th ... mystery was black labyrinth (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a) :smallbiggrin:
Hilarity ensued when the party was utterly unable to even touch the BBEG.
As a player sadly none but after that incident no one lets me play a shadowcaster :smallamused:

Volkov
2010-01-25, 05:46 PM
I once had an 18th level caster for a one-shot adventure (Prisoner of the Castle Perilous). I willingly gave up 9th level spells to get Silver Flame Pyromancer/Fatespinner.

Ironically, although he only had 8th level spells and the first spell Acererak cast in the final encounter was time stop, my Silver Flame Pyromancer survived that time-stopped turn and blew Acererak away with a single fireball.

That shouldn't have happened. Acererak is immune to magic. Unless this is some other edition where acererak isn't.

Optimystik
2010-01-25, 05:46 PM
That shouldn't have happened. Acererak is immune to magic.

Maybe he meant "Fire Orb?"

Volkov
2010-01-25, 05:47 PM
Maybe he meant "Fire Orb?"

If its a spell that isn't a listed demilich vulnerability, it's not doing jack diddly squat.

Optimystik
2010-01-25, 05:52 PM
If its a spell that isn't a listed demilich vulnerability, it's not doing jack diddly squat.

Except that in D&D, magic immunity is treated as "unbeatable spell resistance." It won't do... "jack diddly squat," to use your term... to any spell that ignores SR entirely.

faceroll
2010-01-25, 06:17 PM
Except that in D&D, magic immunity is treated as "unbeatable spell resistance." It won't do... "jack diddly squat," to use your term... to any spell that ignores SR entirely.

Generally, but the demilich specifically has immunity to all spells. Specific trumps general. Though it's more likely an artifact of 3.0 -> 3.5.

[edit]
The demilich even has immunity to supernatural effects. Fire Orb isn't going to do anything to him.

[edit]x2
Gate was the first ever 9th level spell I used. Called a Pit Fiend with it.

Felyndiira
2010-01-25, 06:28 PM
Apocalypse from the Sky. I won't even try to say it was for a good purpose.

<_<
>_>

*runs*

MlleRouge
2010-01-25, 06:38 PM
As a player, Miracle from Hextor. It would have been more fun if it didn't turn into an insta-win button for the whole group and end the 'boss' encounter prematurely. I had desired it as a way to save us from a mass save-or-die effect that was about to TPK us, and the DM got a bit carried away. My cleric was as confounded as I was.

As a DM, Time Stop via a high level wizard who didn't take kindly to the party exposing his fraudulent business. That was amusing.

Tao the Ninja
2010-01-25, 07:21 PM
light, heightened to 9th level.
just kidding

Volkov
2010-01-25, 08:20 PM
You don't know Volkov... to understand the power range of his games, it's sufficient to read the threads started by him.
this was his first thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112830)(as far as I can remember).
And this the last one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131305) (see also the last page, last Volkov's post, on how the fight ended).

You have been educated. :smallwink:

(that said, for 3rd lev. spells, haste is better than fireball)

Yep, my characters are as far above a level 21 character as a level 21 character are above an ant. My fighter for example, more or less beat an army of a thousand level 20 fighters on his own, with his minotaur great-hammer of doom. He smashed a demi-lich against it's phylactery to kill it because it wouldn't stop talking to fight. He tore off the arm of the best monk humanity had to offer and beat him to death with it, wiped out an entire vampire clan in one day, stabbed a were-spinosaurus mountain giant to death with a silver kitchen knife, and told an epic level who could see the future "Yeah sure you can see the future, but did you see this coming?" before punching the epic level wizard's head into low-orbit.

The Black Ethergaunt wizard of the party was too busy basking in his own glory to do much unless someone manages to hurt him, which was essentially pressing his berzerker button. When one gnome illusionist reduced his hit points by a tiny sliver with a shadow evocation, he lost it and went on a gnome killing rampage, burning each and single one into the ground with metamagicked meteor swarms, and unleashing an army of elementals.

Th kobold rogue sneak attacked an lord's personal guard to death with the hail of arrows feat. Teleported inside a Sixty age category Prismatic dragon's neck to slice it's head off from inside, and Climbed on top of a flesh Colossus and with a special feat, sneak attacked the construct and killed it with one blow.

The Ultralith Psion used a power of his creation to make the heads of every Wood elf on the planet's head to explode, and was generally fond of blowing up people's heads, actually he was somewhat obsessed with it.

The Lich cleric...Didn't really do much other than use a crap ton of undead.

olentu
2010-01-25, 08:37 PM
Yep, my characters are as far above a level 21 character as a level 21 character are above an ant. My fighter for example, more or less beat an army of a thousand level 20 fighters on his own, with his minotaur great-hammer of doom. He smashed a demi-lich against it's phylactery to kill it because it wouldn't stop talking to fight. He tore off the arm of the best monk humanity had to offer and beat him to death with it, wiped out an entire vampire clan in one day, stabbed a were-spinosaurus mountain giant to death with a silver kitchen knife, and told an epic level who could see the future "Yeah sure you can see the future, but did you see this coming?" before punching the epic level wizard's head into low-orbit.

The Black Ethergaunt wizard of the party was too busy basking in his own glory to do much unless someone manages to hurt him, which was essentially pressing his berzerker button. When one gnome illusionist reduced his hit points by a tiny sliver with a shadow evocation, he lost it and went on a gnome killing rampage, burning each and single one into the ground with metamagicked meteor swarms, and unleashing an army of elementals.

Th kobold rogue sneak attacked an lord's personal guard to death with the hail of arrows feat. Teleported inside a Sixty age category Prismatic dragon's neck to slice it's head off from inside, and Climbed on top of a flesh Colossus and with a special feat, sneak attacked the construct and killed it with one blow.

The Ultralith Psion used a power of his creation to make the heads of every Wood elf on the planet's head to explode, and was generally fond of blowing up people's heads, actually he was somewhat obsessed with it.

The Lich cleric...Didn't really do much other than use a crap ton of undead.

Well I suppose one could be above an epic spellcaster insomuch as being a better epic spellcaster or having some other better type of unlimited power.

PhoenixRivers
2010-01-25, 09:28 PM
My first 9th level spell?

Silent Image. It was cast out of a 7th level slot.

Da'Shain
2010-01-25, 09:33 PM
Mass Heal.

Not the showiest 9th level spell ever, but it was quite gratifying anyway, because up to that point my Evil party had thought I was simply a poorly optimized Sorceror. :smallcool:

elonin
2010-01-25, 09:53 PM
Sadly I've never had a playing character get to that level. Based on some submissions I've made for pbp that would be time stop for sure.

Milskidasith
2010-01-25, 10:02 PM
Primatic Sphere. Then I mindraped myself, and Love's Pained my enemies.

My first character with ninth level spells was casting them off a scroll in the ToS.

Volkov
2010-01-26, 10:47 AM
Well I suppose one could be above an epic spellcaster insomuch as being a better epic spellcaster or having some other better type of unlimited power.

That, and his int score was ridiculously high. Not to mention he could punch out a level 20 monk.

mikej
2010-01-26, 10:50 AM
Unfortunely, I've never had a campaign last that long. The closet with 15th lv and 8th level spells. Yep, amazing, with my Finger of Death :smallsigh:

It's been a goal of mine for awhile to cast any 9th level spell.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-26, 12:49 PM
That, and his int score was ridiculously high. Not to mention he could punch out a level 20 monk.

Why would you punch a Monk? Level 20 Monks are Outsiders, so he should be Planar Binding them.

Dust
2010-01-26, 12:58 PM
Please, for the love of all that remains pure and logical in this world, don't get Volkov started on his campaigns in this thread. :smallbiggrin:

Eldariel
2010-01-26, 01:05 PM

A Tiger can punch out a level 20 Monk.

Volkov
2010-01-26, 01:06 PM
Why would you punch a Monk? Level 20 Monks are Outsiders, so he should be Planar Binding them.

He's a strange one, when my character asked this, he simply said "because I could do so, explaining my reasonings to one as inferior as you would be showing that I cared, and to care would be against the ways of the khen-zai" when I asked him out of character, I got this gem "to show that you are useless to me."