PDA

View Full Version : Ranged ToB Discipline Assistance

Cieyrin
2010-01-24, 06:34 PM
I'm in the process of making a Gunmage/Swordsage hybrid feat and PRC and I'm utilizing the Black Rain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5471518) discipline as a centerpiece for it. The problem I'm having trouble overcoming is with what other disciplines to draw upon from the original ToB or homebrewed, as they're very melee-oriented, which is difficult to overcome till you can acquire Black Rain's 8th level stance Lord of Arms, which is a long while to wait.

So, any ideas of what I can utilize? Any help is appreciated.

arguskos
2010-01-24, 06:37 PM
There was an archery discipline Fax threw out there awhile ago. I was to say it was Falling Star, but I'm not sure. Might want to check that one out.

Break
2010-01-24, 06:42 PM
There was an archery discipline Fax threw out there awhile ago. I was to say it was Falling Star, but I'm not sure. Might want to check that one out.

Fax's Falling Star Discipline (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Falling_Star_Discipline)

Grumman
2010-01-24, 06:44 PM
There are a few Tiger Claw maneuvers that give you extra attacks in a full attack, and there are a few Diamond Mind maneuvers that give you extra actions. Apart from that, you might as well pick boosts and stances that help your survivability and utility, since as you say, if you're not a Bloodstorm Blade ToB doesn't have much to offer.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-24, 07:40 PM
Tempest Stormwind also made a Falling Star discipline that focused on range combat, but it is separate from Fax's. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19527602/Falling_Star_style:_the_Tenth_Path_of_the_Sublime_ Way)

Eldariel
2010-01-24, 07:43 PM
White Raven has obvious utility even with ranged combat (give allies abilities). Desert Wind, Shadow Hand, Iron Heart and Diamond Mind (and sorta Setting Sun too tho they're all melee-range) are similar, and then there are the ranged-usable maneuvers in Tiger Claw [Dancing Mongoose, Raging Mongoose] and Diamond Mind [Time Stands ****ing Still, YOU DIE!].

Grumman
2010-01-24, 08:28 PM
Diamond Mind [Time Stands ****ing Still, YOU DIE!].
ZA WARUDO!

Cieyrin
2010-01-25, 07:02 PM
I had a look over the disciplines available to Swordsages and Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw seemed the most apt. I'll have to look over White Raven and Iron Heart, though, so perhaps I may draw some inspiration from those.

Of the two above that seem to work well with Black Rain, Tiger Claw is the one I'm having trouble working in, as getting to either of the Mongoose maneuvers requires at least 2 other Tiger Claw maneuvers and there isn't a whole hell of a lot of other maneuvers to pick that could be done with guns till you get Lord of Arms. I got like Sudden Leap and maybe Wolf Fang Strike, as the text makes no specific mention of melee attacks. Fountain of Blood and Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip are other possibilities, but they also require 2+ maneuvers as well. :smallannoyed:

Eldariel
2010-01-25, 07:12 PM
Of the two above that seem to work well with Black Rain, Tiger Claw is the one I'm having trouble working in, as getting to either of the Mongoose maneuvers requires at least 2 other Tiger Claw maneuvers and there isn't a whole hell of a lot of other maneuvers to pick that could be done with guns till you get Lord of Arms. I got like Sudden Leap and maybe Wolf Fang Strike, as the text makes no specific mention of melee attacks. Fountain of Blood and Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip are other possibilities, but they also require 2+ maneuvers as well. :smallannoyed:

Sudden Leap and Blood in the Water?

Grumman
2010-01-25, 07:15 PM
You'd need to take Wolf Fang Strike and Blood in the Water, then swap Wolf Fang Strike for Sudden Leap at level 4.

Eldariel
2010-01-25, 07:16 PM
You'd need to take Wolf Fang Strike and Blood in the Water, then swap Wolf Fang Strike for Sudden Leap at level 4.

Or just take all 3 and swap Wolf Fang out for whatever you want on 4.

dspeyer
2010-01-26, 12:08 AM
True Arrow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48255#post2769638) might also be helpful.

Cieyrin
2010-01-26, 05:51 PM

Hmm, didn't realize stances could be used to qualify for meeting maneuver requirements, given that they separate stances from maneuvers and thus in my mind that made them different.

As for the order of acquiring, I'd think you'd just need to grab Wolf Fang Strike first and then whatever else after, given both base sublime classes that offer Tiger Claw allow you to start knowing more than 2 maneuvers.:smalltongue:

Susano-wo
2010-01-26, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
Diamond Mind [Time Stands ****ing Still, YOU DIE!].
ZA WARUDO!

Thank you for giving me my daily does of maniacal laughter
:D