PDA

View Full Version : Cavalry

Xenogears
2010-01-24, 09:03 PM
Anyone know any good PrCs for a mounted charger type character. Preferably not Race or Alignment specific but not required to be so.

Eldariel
2010-01-24, 09:05 PM
No PrCs needed; you're generally best off with just base classes. Though ToB PrCs are fine, as are PrCs that advance Mount, particularly Halfling Outrider (yeah, yeah, just preferably) and Wild Plains Outrider as they can stack multiple advancements into fun fun awesome.

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-24, 09:43 PM
Any prestige class with the word "Knight" in it? Check out Complete Warrior.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-24, 09:48 PM
There is a cavalier Prg class in one of the completes... warrior IIRC, not sure how useful it is

JKTrickster
2010-01-24, 10:04 PM
Hi, I'm planning on creating a melee build that rides a mount into battle (specifically, a flying one) but I have no idea on how to build one. Homebrew material may be okay if I can get it past the DM. The ECL is 16 and we're expected to go against a Tarraesque (and even tougher challenges afterwards) so optimizing shouldn't be a problem here.

For the matter though, how does one get a flying mount?

Signmaker
2010-01-24, 10:13 PM
Hi, I'm planning on creating a melee build that rides a mount into battle (specifically, a flying one) but I have no idea on how to build one. Homebrew material may be okay if I can get it past the DM. The ECL is 16 and we're expected to go against a Tarraesque (and even tougher challenges afterwards) so optimizing shouldn't be a problem here.

For the matter though, how does one get a flying mount?

There are a few mounted PrCs which gain access to flying mounts. Alternatively, if you don't really need a SuperMount, you can always get a casting of Phantom Steed or Phantom Stag, both of which fly at 200+ speed.

If you're set on a normal mount (as opposed to a spell-based one), make sure to boost your Ride checks to around +19 minimum, moreso for the sake of Mounted Combat. Additionally, read and understand the Ride and Handle Animal skills, as well as the Mounted Combat section.

Xenogears
2010-01-24, 10:25 PM
No PrCs needed; you're generally best off with just base classes. Though ToB PrCs are fine, as are PrCs that advance Mount, particularly Halfling Outrider (yeah, yeah, just preferably) and Wild Plains Outrider as they can stack multiple advancements into fun fun awesome.

1) What books are those in.

2) What base class would work best. Right now I'm going towards Fighter as base for all the feats (Plus this lets me throw a few archery feats in the mix to balance him/her out a little.)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-24, 10:30 PM
Halfing Ourider is in Complete Warrior, and Wild plain outrider MIGHT be in races of the wild.

and as the best base class for a mount.... druid (Animal companion) or paladin
If you want to get exotic there is the Prg class Ashworm Dragoon in sandstorm which gets an Ashworm as a mount

JKTrickster
2010-01-24, 10:32 PM
Hmm I think a normal mount (as in an actual one, not a spell based one) would be more fitting with my current character concept. But really, as long as it's a viable mount, I think I could always refluff it....

And yeah, I'll be definetly pumped Ride. How important is the Handle Animal skill?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-24, 10:35 PM
Handle animal is important for teaching it tricks (and improving you mount by giving it the warblade template MM III IIRC), also I think that there is class in the BOED that get you a giant eagle as a mount.

Superglucose
2010-01-24, 10:36 PM
Spirited Charge, Heavy Lance, now go win.

If there's one thing D&D got right (if by "right" we mean "marginally realistic") it's how ridiculously devastating and powerful a good cavalry charge is. And how easy it is to stop (set halbred, go.)

JKTrickster
2010-01-24, 10:43 PM
Hmm, well since this is a flying mount build anyway, charge isn't the only tactic. I was thinking that my character would have a backup range weapon to pick off enemies.

But of course, charging deals amazing damage and I'm probably want to optimize that.

@DuskEclipse: Hmm, thanks for the tips. I'm looking for them now, but the giant eagle sounds quite good off the bat...

Anyone have any suggestions for class that I can use?

Signmaker
2010-01-24, 10:44 PM
And yeah, I'll be definetly pumped Ride. How important is the Handle Animal skill?

It's tricky. Handle Animal is more useful as a passive skill (trick training, rearing, etc.) whereas Ride is what you're likely to actively use in combat.

If you'd like to see a variety of non-classgranted mounts, the A&EG has quite a selection to choose from. Note that it's a 3.0 book, however, so you're going to have to request permission from your DM.

Hmm, well since this is a flying mount build anyway, charge isn't the only tactic. I was thinking that my character would have a backup range weapon to pick off enemies.

Anyone have any suggestions for class that I can use?

Mounted Archery is actually quite a viable tactic due to the fact that your mobility means that you get hit less often (unless you're in a dungeon, in which case you'll want a good mount for damage output).

As for classes, naturally anything that progresses Ride/HA smoothly. Stuff like Factotum or Marshal will help if you're more skill-centric, but neither of the two have full BAB, so your mileage may vary. Arguably, just running fighter for a few levels until you satisfy PrC prereqs is the easiest way to go.

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-24, 10:50 PM
IIRC he's nerfed charging slightly. There's a few tricks for your usual charger builds that aren't allowed in this campaign.

Just make sure that you have a lot of attacks, can Power attack for a lot with shock trooper, and then grab as many multipliers as possible. Lance, Spirited Charge, two-handed, etc...I think you should still be able to deal between 100-200 each attack without too much effort, and then it's just a matter of grabbing a pile of attacks, and making your to-hit ridiculous. (And grab the mage slayer feats if at all possible. Magical miss chances suck.)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-24, 10:58 PM
Found the class in the BoED

It is skylord, and you get a celestial mount (pegasi, giant eagle or giant owl) the problem is it have some steep prerequisites, half-elf or elf, mounted related and archeryfeats an exalted feat., 10 skill points in ride, handle animal and maybe another,

on the plus side it is a half casting class if you enter by a casting class (prestige /normal paladin?) scaling mount, bonus on spot.

It is an archer class mostly

Commander_Vimes
2010-01-24, 11:11 PM
Ashworm Dragoon in Sandstorm is quite cool visually and offers several abilities that are amazingly useful. It gets an excellent trample attack that squishes the enemy enough that they have to use a standard action to stand back up (excellent for locking down an enemy). At level 10 you can move the mounts full speed (of 30ft, the fastest of any burrower I can think of by 10ft) underground through anything short of solid rock. That helps a lot with getting into dungeons a similarly sized mount couldn't fit in. Plus there aren't a lot of things that can attack you through 30ft of earth, or know that you're there at all.

It's progression also stacks with a Paladin's mount so you end up with a very powerful worm.

Cavalier gives nice some multipliers to charging damage. It would be a pretty option for the last five levels

Paladin 5/Ashworm Dragoon 10/Cavalier 5

You'll have a level 20 Paladin Mount with an extra 10 HD, 12 natural armor, and 5 strength on top from Ashworm Dragoon. The Ashworm isn't an especially powerful combat mount, but it will be very resilient.

JKTrickster
2010-01-24, 11:18 PM
Hmm...those prerequisites don't quite match up to what I was envisioning though. Then again, it does seem quite awesome to ride a celestial eagle into battle (but wow spending an exalted feat?)

OTOH, I was browsing through MM 3 and I couldn't find that template mentioned. Where is it again?

@term1nally s1ck: Really he did? What were they?

Also I'm not really an optimizer and doing at least 100 damage seems a lot to me.

I just hope I can pull together a sheet before the deadline. I've even got down most of his personality and background already :smallwink:

EDIT: Hmm I was looking through MM 5 and saw something called the Steelwing. Would it be worth it as a flying mount? I just can't get the image out of my head now :smallbiggrin:

Superglucose
2010-01-24, 11:22 PM
IIRC he's nerfed charging slightly. There's a few tricks for your usual charger builds that aren't allowed in this campaign.

Just make sure that you have a lot of attacks, can Power attack for a lot with shock trooper, and then grab as many multipliers as possible. Lance, Spirited Charge, two-handed, etc...I think you should still be able to deal between 100-200 each attack without too much effort, and then it's just a matter of grabbing a pile of attacks, and making your to-hit ridiculous. (And grab the mage slayer feats if at all possible. Magical miss chances suck.)
With Shock Trooper and Spirited Charge you'll be dealing significant damage. Use ride-by-attack to keep yourself safe in boss fights.

I think I was comfortably dealing a minimum of 36 damage a hit last time I played a charger... core only and at level 3.

The only issue is you're pretty obviously a one-trick pony.

EDIT: The sheet is the easy part. If you know starting level you can already start buying your equipment and placing your stats (hint: STR and CON since you're going to get hit a lot) and skill points (hint: 5 ranks in handle animal minimum, probably max in ride)

Fizban
2010-01-24, 11:24 PM
More importantly if I remember right, the Ashworm Dragoon can use Mounted Combat on every melee attack that targets his mount, so it might as well have immunity to melee attacks. It also has poison and the PrC lets you pump up the DC a few times per day. Really the only thing it doesn't have is flight, but there are ways around that, and burrowing is just as useful underground.

ex cathedra
2010-01-24, 11:27 PM
The Warbeast template is actually in MMII. Also consider the Magebred template from ECS. Mounted Combat Prestige classes of note include the Vadalis Beastkeeper, Halfling Outrider, Wild Plains Outrider, and Cavalier. The Devoted Tracker feat lets you stack ranger and paladin levels for several things, and consolidates your Animal Companion and Mount into the same creature.

Flickerdart
2010-01-24, 11:29 PM
Wild Cohort is probably the easiest way to get a mount that won't become obsolete quickly. But Supermount is probably the way to go if you want an especially strong mount, anyhow. See if you can get to ride the Tarrasque.
Also: Take a look at the godly Great Flyby Attack feat in Savage Species. Considerably better than Improved Flyby Attack, less prerequisites, and you can hit a lot of targets. Increase your reach, and then just tear through enemy ranks.

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-24, 11:36 PM
'No on Valorous, Battle Jump, or Headlong Rush.'

This still leaves you with:

Power Attack Shock Trooper
Spirited Charge
Two-handing a Lance.
Riding Boots
Wand of Rhino's Rush

Which is a grand total of x5 damage on a charge.

Power attack for 16, drop the penalty to AC.

Lets say you've not used a Tome, you put your 4 levelup points into Str, had a 16 to start with (not even trying here), took the first level of Spirit Lion Totem (Whirling Frenzy variant) Barbarian, so you're raging for +4 Str (and an extra attack), a +6 item, and say 1 size modifier for a +2. Total Str of 32, that's a +16.

So disregarding weapon enchantments, you're hitting for 1d12+32(PA+Str), and then multiply that by 5. 5d12+160 is pretty good, and probably needed to beat Regeneration 40 consistently.

Oh, and Pounce from the Barbarian, plus the Frenzy, and lets say you happen to have a Haste buff on, gives you a total of +33/+33/+33/+28/+28/+28 (Houserule: All iterative attacks are at -5 from BAB) as your attack pattern on a charge. Without any magical enhancements on your to-hit. Of which you should have many.

Ok, yeah, you have an AC of the Barn Door. But...your opponent, assuming you buffed your to-hit high enough that more than half your attacks hit, just took an average of 770 damage (-DR). If it hits you back at this point, we have a serious problem :smalltongue:

EDIT: And, tbh, you need to have, to do this: 5 Feats (All fighter feats), the level of Barbarian, your foot slot for magic items, UMD pumped up enough to use wands consistently (The horror :smalltongue:), and stick to full BAB classes. Oh, and pumped Str, and access to a Lance. (Plus, each +1 on the Lance adds 5 damage to each attack).

Disregarding the Magic Items, this can be done with Barb1/Fighter4. You already have all the feats by then, and your next 11 levels can be whatever you feel is cool and grants good class abilities/versatility/more tricks. (remeber you lose an attack if you drop a point of BAB though)

Thrawn183
2010-01-25, 12:13 AM
Maybe try and buy an advanced Wyvern? Or do it as a quest to tame the mightiest wyvern in the land or something.

Heck, start a breeding program.

Draken
2010-01-25, 12:19 AM
I recommend not touching the Skylord. If you want a flying mount, Dungeon master Guide offers these to common paladins at levels 6, 7 and 8.

Wild Plains Outrider is a good choice for a prestige class for mounted combat, only three levels, the capstone is pretty much perfect. Levels in this class will boost the level of the Paladin special mount.

As will levels of Cavalier. Which also give the full attack mounted movement at level 6, and more class features too. Wild Plains Outrider 2 would be a good addon to Cavalier levels afterwards (advances effective paladin level, gives a bonus to a few skill checks, boosts all speeds of the mount by +10 ft.)

Paladin 6/Wild Plains Outrider 2/Cavalier 8 allows you to take a Hippogriph, Giant Eagle, Giant Owl, Pegasus or Griffon as a special mount, if you want the flyer. Also slaps +8 HD on the hippogriff, and +6 HD on the others.

Cavalier alone makes charges quite brutal.

Feats here are... Weapon Focus, Spirited Charge, Ride-by Attack, Mounted Combat and Track. To grab the five feats... Human, 1, 3, 6. Holy Warrior Variant in Complete Champion will let you sacrifice your (very non-progressing) spellcasting for a bonus feat at levels 4, 8, 11 and 14, from a list that fortunately grants all of the mounted combat feats.

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-25, 01:01 AM
Cavalier is a trap. You can't get the full attack on the charge (The barbarian can), and your extra damage on a charge doesn't stack with spirited charge. You use 10 levels to gain an extra 1 on your multiplier...

Dimers
2010-01-25, 01:55 AM
A one-level dip in Beastmaster, from Complete Adventurer, adds four effective druid levels for an animal companion without hurting your BAB progression. In fact, you don't need to have an existing animal companion -- the PrC will give it to you, starting with those 4 effective levels. You can spend a feat on Natural Bond for another 3, and Wild Plains Outrider levels add 1 each. That would make your mount much more durable and somewhat more effective in combat on its own. Getting your mount shot (or charmed) out from under you really sucks; having a tough mount that you can replace in 24 hours if it dies can be really useful.

nekomata2
2010-01-25, 02:08 AM
Aglarondan Griffonrider, from Unapproachable East, gives you a griffin, so there's a flying mount.

JaronK
2010-01-25, 02:19 AM
For your basic charger, all you need is Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Shock Trooper, Mounted Combat, Ride By Attack, and Spirited Charge. If you're an Orc, take Headlong Rush. Wield a Valorous Lance, and make sure you have Pounce (a level of Lion Totem Barbarian is the easiest way to get that). All of this is doable with Barbarian 1/Fighter 6. Simply use the Warbeast Template on a flying creature to find a price for it, and purchase the thing. Now go slaughter everything.

If you want your mount to be super powerful, you could consider a supermount build, but be aware that it's not very powerful until later in the game (around level 12 or so) and that you yourself will be rather weak (especially by comparison). A basic Supermount build would be Halfling Divine Fey Variant Bard 5/Cleric 1/PrC Paladin of Freedom 2/PrC Ranger 1/Halfling Outrider 10 (the Fey Bard variant is from Unearthed Arcana, it gives you an animal companion, and Divine Bards are from the same, simply making you have divine casting as a Bard). There's a feat you can get (Devoted Tracker, IIRC) that lets you combine your Paladin Mount with your Animal Companion. Then you can use Dragon Mount to make it a Dragon (thus making its hit dice FAR more powerful) and Holy Mount (so your divine casting levels stack for your paladin mount levels). Notice that Halfling Outrider levels stack with Ranger, Druid, and Paladin mount levels. As such, this character is a 19th level character with 22 levels of Paladin Mount, 15 Druidic Animal Companion levels, and 11 additional Ranger Animal Companion levels, giving you a 26th level Animal Companion bonus to your 22nd level Paladin Mount, which is a dragon.

Unfortunately, this uses up a lot of feats so your character himself won't be that great, even though your mount is awesome. Plus, you can't take Devoted Tracker or Dragon Mount until relatively late in the build, so it takes a while to mature.

JaronK

Tackyhillbillu
2010-01-25, 05:03 AM
There's always the Aglarondan Griffonrider PRC, from Unapproachable East. Gives you a Flying mount that advances along with the Paladin One. And you are on a Griffon.

gorfnab
2010-01-25, 05:39 AM
Strongheart Halfling
Paladin 5/ Beast Master 1/ Wild Plains Outrider 3/ Halfling Outrider 10
1. Mounted Combat, Track
3. Skill Focus (Handle Animal)
6. Devoted Tracker
9. Mounted Archery
12. Natural Bond
15. Dragon Steed
18. Improved Mounted Archery

Not exactly a charging build but when your Dragon Steed (I suggest Gold Wyrmling from Draconomicon page 139) has 26 HD (8 Wyrmling + 12 Druid +6 Paladin - or 27 HD if you can find a 9 HD Gold Wyrming for that extra feat goodness) you could easily set the mount to be the "charger" instead with the right feats.

Triaxx
2010-01-25, 06:10 AM
Here's a class designed specifically to be cavalry.

Cavalier

Alignment: Any Lawful.

Hit Die: d10

Class Skills: The Cavalier's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (religion) (Int) Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex).

Skill Points at 1st level: (2 + Int Modifier) x4
Skill Points at Each additional Level: 2 + Int Modifier

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+1|
+1|
+0|
+0|Lay on Hands, Aura of Law 1/day
2nd|
+2|
+2|
+0|
+0|Knightly Grace, Bonus Feat
3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Smite Foe 1/day
4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Improved Shield Bash
5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Dodge
6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+1|
+1|Bonus Feat, Smite Foe 2/day
7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2|Aura of Law 2/day
8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2|Noble Mount 1st-Tier
9th|
+9/+4|
+7|
+2|
+2|Smite Foe 3/day
10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+2|
+2|Bonus Feat
11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+8|
+3|
+3|Ride-by Attack
12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+3|
+3|Smite Foe 4/day
13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+9|
+3|
+3|Cleric Domain-1st, Lance Knight
14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+3|
+3|Bonus Feat, Noble Mount 2nd-Tier, Aura of Law 3/day
15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+10|
+4|
+4|Smite Foe 5/day
16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+4|
+4|Combat Reflexes
17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+11|
+4|
+4|Cleric Domain-2nd
18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+4|
+4|Bonus Feat, Smite Foe 6/day
19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+12|
+5|
+5|Cleric Domain-3rd
20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+13|
+5|
+5|Bonus Feat, Noble Mount 3rd-Tier[/table]

Class Features:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Cavaliers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor (heavy, medium, and light), and with shields (except tower shields).

Lay on Hands: As per the Paladin ability.

Aura of Law: Aura of Law is a Cavalier's final defense. Used when foes close in around him the Cavalier summons his knowledge of right and law, and projects a feeling of defenslessness and clumsiness against neutral and chaotic foes. Neutral foes take a -1 penalty to AC and BAB, while Chaotic Foes take a -2 penalty to AC and BAB. This effect lasts for 1 round per Cavalier level. The aura can be resisted by a (DC10 + Cavalier level + Cavalier's CHA mod) Will save. A Cavalier may use Aura of Law once per day at first level, and gains additional uses every seven levels.

Mounted Combat: The Cavalier is treated as always having the mounted combat feat.

Smite Foe: As per the Smite Evil ability, but only against Chaotic or Neutral Foes. A Cavalier gains one use at third level, and an additional use every three levels there after.

Knightly Grace: At 2nd level, a Cavalier has been trained to fight on horseback, and when mounted on a horse or pony gains a +2 competence bonus when attempting to control an untrained animal. When mounted on a warhorse, or warpony, the Cavalier gains a +1 bonus to mounted melee attacks.

Bonus Feat: A Cavalier is granted bonus feat in addition to those she normally receives. Bonus feats may be selected from the fighter bonus feat list.

Improved Shield Bash: At 4th level Cavalier is treated as having the Improved Shield Bash feat while mounted, even if he or she does not meet the requirements.

Dodge: From 5th level on, when mounted a Cavalier is treated as having the dodge feat even if he or she does not meet the requirements for it.

Cleric Domain: A Cavalier, while not necessarily a religious warrior is looked upon with favor by his or her god. At 13th level, a Cavalier may choose one of his or her gods domain's, and use the first level domain power as a Cleric of one quarter the Cavalier's level. At 17th level, the Cavalier gains the second level domain power, as a cleric of one quarter Cavalier level, and at 19th, gains a third level domain power, as a cleric one-quarter of the Cavalier's level. Cavaliers cast based on CHA as Sorcerors, Bards, and Paladins.

Ride-by Attack: At 11th level, if not taken before the Cavalier gains Ride-by Attack while mounted, even he or she does not otherwise qualify.

Combat Reflexes: If he has not taken it at an earlier level, at 16th level, the Cavalier is treated as having Combat Reflexes.

Lance Knight: At 13th level, the Cavalier has become a master of mounted combat, and as such is able to deal double damage when charging mounted wielding with a Sword, or Axe and Shield. Charging with a lance deals triple damage instead. The Cavalier's BAB, and chance to hit rolls are unaffected. The Cavalier also is able to disregard the -2 AC penalty while charging mounted.

Noble Steed: At 8th Level, a Cavalier may spend 1d4 days familiarizing himself with a particular mount, and bind himself to it. In doing so, it becomes a first tier mount. At level 14, it becomes a second tier mount, and at level 20, it becomes a third tier mount. While mounted on his Noble Mount, the Cavalier gains a +1 to his Reflex and Will saves.

If the Cavalier's Noble Steed is killed, it takes a year and a day to become familiar enough with another mount to replace it. Upon the steeds death, the Cavalier loses 200xp per level, with a fort save for half. In addition, the Cavalier must make a fort save, or be treated as having one half his total ride skill until he gains another Steed. Making the fort save reduces the penalty to three-quarters his ride skill. If the Cavalier's Steed is resurrected, the penalty to his ride skill is negated.

Noble Steed
{table=head]Tier|HD|Natural <br> Armor|Str. Adj.|Special
1st|
+2|
+2|
+1|Improved Mounted Combat, DR5/Silver
2nd|
+4|
+4|
+2|Shield Mount
3rd|
+6|
+6|
+4|Mounted Archery, DR10/Silver[/table]

Shield Mount:While mounted on his Noble Steed, the steed gains the Cavalier's Shield Bonus to it's AC against melee attacks.

Taking archery feats gives you that along with the features the class grants and makes you into a cavalry monster. Me I just take feats to enhance the strengths already. And the Noble Steed bonuses also apply to flying mounts.

JKTrickster
2010-01-25, 06:51 PM
Woah wait what? Did they merge our two threads? Wow this was kind of confusing to go through.

Anyway, I was thinking about the RoW fighter class here (http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=33294). The DM made some changes of course. However how would that compare to the Knight class(which the DM will probably change too) ?

For a mount, would it be stronger/better to simply buy one and then apply a Warbeast template to it? Or should I grab classes that provide said mounts instead?

My concern is which one would allow my character to be more versatile; the DM has already pointed out that one trick builds will be penalized and I want my character to be able to survive without a mount.

Class wise, I think I'll go with some base class for the first few levels and then grab something else for the next 11, like term1nally s1ck suggested. On the same note, any advice on what I could focus on for alternate options?

GenPol
2010-01-25, 07:05 PM
For a base class I would suggest Light Cavalry Scout variant. The Scout class is in the Complete Adventurer, and the Light Cavalry variant is from Dragon Magazine 346. You gain a special mount similar to that of a paladin, and a variety of other helpful things for mounted combat.

EDIT: I just remembered that there is also a pretty awesome Horsemaster Barbarian variant from Dragon Magazine 337, but I guess that's the wrong place for it if you're looking to ride things besides horses. They can both be found on Crystalkeep if you don't have access to old Dragon Magazines.

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-25, 07:25 PM
PrCs are pretty.

Frenzied Beserker. (Cwar)

Invisible Blade? Stacking bleeding wounds could be nasty.

Master Thrower could be fun if you can use Bloodstorm Blade from ToB, grab palm throw, and Iajutsu focus as a class skill.

Try and get Knowledge Devotion. the + to hit will be extemely useful.

You can also grab other combat tricks.
Some I'd recommend are:

Knockdown.

Daze if you can find a way to get it.

Grab the Mage Slayer tree if possible.

Intimidate a la Takahashi (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=153726)

And then just try and boost your to-hit/damage dealt.

JKTrickster
2010-01-25, 07:51 PM
Well I think I've decided; I'll get my mount by purchasing one instead of class levels. This helps open up my later class levels for other versatility and not just simply pumping my Mount's power (which leads to a one trick pony, and I'm trying to avoid that).

I"m planning on getting a Warbeast template Steelwing (MM 5) if possible (by which I mean cost-wise). Does anyone have any better suggestion for a better mount? I'm choosing this because it has a 20% miss chance always active (along with concealment) and it also has a range attack that is pretty strong that ignores all miss chance. I'm up to suggestions however.

Class wise, I was thinking about the Barbarian 1/Fighter 4 suggestion made earlier. Just asking, is this possible with the RoW substitutions? Would it be better/worse?

Also term1nally s1ck, is your suggestion to my build or the other OP here (that made the original thread that mine got subsumed in)

Volkov
2010-01-25, 07:59 PM
Ride on bears, while arming yourselves with ak-47s and wearing Russian military winter uniforms. :P

Xenogears
2010-01-25, 08:04 PM
Ride on bears, while arming yourselves with ak-47s and wearing Russian military winter uniforms. :P

Or just take Leadership and get a Bear Warrior and have him be your mount.

Wait. Can horses take class levels? I want a Drunken Master mount so it can charge along a crooked path.

Edit: No wait. Have the HORSE take Bear Warrior levels. Now you get to ride a horse that morphs into a bear...

Signmaker
2010-01-25, 08:05 PM
I"m planning on getting a Warbeast template Steelwing (MM 5) if possible (by which I mean cost-wise). Does anyone have any better suggestion for a better mount? I'm choosing this because it has a 20% miss chance always active (along with concealment) and it also has a range attack that is pretty strong that ignores all miss chance. I'm up to suggestions however.

Either a Nightmare (for etherealness fun) or a Soarwhale. :smallsmile:

JKTrickster
2010-01-25, 08:30 PM
Either a Nightmare (for etherealness fun) or a Soarwhale. :smallsmile:

What books are those in?

And if the Nightmare is ethereal, could you still use it as a mount? (I'm imagining some very scary thoughts when they're high up in the air....)

Signmaker
2010-01-25, 08:35 PM
What books are those in?

And if the Nightmare is ethereal, could you still use it as a mount? (I'm imagining some very scary thoughts when they're high up in the air....)

A&EG, and yes.

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-25, 08:48 PM
@JK

Yeah, that's all aimed at you.

IIRC the RoW fighter loses a feat at L1, so you'd need another one of your feats to go towards the list you want. But the RoW fighter also gets some very nice abilities at higher levels, so don't be too worried about just taking the rest of your levels as Fighter if no PrCs appeal to you.

Plus, if at any time you want more feats than you have, another 2 levels of fighter grant you it.

You could also be an Ogre for the stat bonuses, natural armour, etc..

I'd recommend Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian1/Fighter10/Frenzied Berserker 5

Ask about the Whirling Frenzy variant Barb, it's iffy on whether you'd get both extra attacks while frenzied.

The L7 ability of the RoW fighter is Improved Delay, and is your best ability. Basically, you can take your turn at any time after your place in the initiative order, and can even interrupt other people's/the enemies' actions. So....wait until the Enemy is doing something/cannot respond to your charge, and then shmoosh them. Bonus points if you force a concentration check of DC200 for the caster.

Your Fighter 9 ability is nasty. Stop an opponent doing something..anything..whenever? Woo.

You have 11 feats, 12 if you take a flaw.

You need 5 for the charging, 3 for the Frenzied Madman, and then you have 4 more. I'd grab the Mage slayer tree, and Blind Fight (prereq). You're now able to ignore all defensive buffs, smack anything you can hit around mercilessly, and be a royal pain in the ass while doing it. Yeah, you'll regularly be using the same trick, but it's so effective and fairly versatile that you should be able to get away with it.

Plus, depending on whether you level as the berserker or as a fighter (I vote fighter), you'll gain more feats quickly, and I'd vote your next few head towards knockdown.

JKTrickster
2010-01-25, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I'm actually thinking of taking Fighter if there really is no prestige class out there for my character. As of now, it seems to fit thematically better with the whole General idea I have going (although there really is nothing stopping a general from being beserk really...)

Although we have to remember that he also nerfed the Fighter. The Foil ability is only once per encounter now (among other things)

So is Steelwing okay? I've looked over Nightmare and sadly it's evil and doesn't fit my character. I don't have AE&G so I can't find Soarwhale. I don't actually know if I can use Steelwing however (it costs a lot...)

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-25, 09:37 PM
We have 260,000, and your abilities are class-based. Go nuts. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: And improved delay>Foil. By far. Though a 1/encounter no button is very pretty...:smallbiggrin:

JKTrickster
2010-01-25, 09:47 PM
Hmm good point! :smallbiggrin:

And what do you mean my abilities are class based? You mean how charging is based on feats in general?

term1nally s1ck
2010-01-25, 09:53 PM
I mean that unlike something like Takahashi as I linked before, you barely need to spend any money for your main abilities. +6 Str item, maybe +dex and +con, and then the rest is yours to do what you wish with.

One of the most broken characters built on this board, The Cube, is based almost entirely on WBL. Indeed, the first incarnation was a commoner.

JKTrickster
2010-01-25, 10:00 PM
Oh okay, I see where you're going! Hmm, I'll just look for some way to get protective magical items....

EDIT: I realized that this might seem as a really stupid question, but what are the best stat boosting items out there?