PDA

View Full Version : Making a lower level version of Transformation

Evard
2010-01-24, 10:50 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/transformation.htm

So i was thinking about making a 3rd level version of this spell maybe call it lesser transformation where the bonuses are reduced 2 and gain mastery only over all simple weapons. Would this be a good 3rd level spell or maybe 2nd level spell? The BAB bonus would still be equal to the character's level.

Tavar
2010-01-24, 10:53 PM
Considering that Transformations itself isn't considered a good spell to begin with, I don't think a lower powered one would be much better.

Eurus
2010-01-24, 10:59 PM
It might be, actually... by the time you get Transformation, you shouldn't ever be running out of spells. A lower level version might actually have some use, once you exhaust the rest of your combat spells.

Tavar
2010-01-24, 11:04 PM
Still has the problem that you're putting your fragile self on the front lines. Also, even if that were the case, I'd want to have it as a scroll at most, so that you could spend that extra slot on something more useful.

Eurus
2010-01-24, 11:09 PM
True enough. Honestly, I'd redo Transformation to probably be better - temporary hit points, for one thing - and also lower the spell slot to something like 3rd. As I see it, it's basically Divine Power, but with the added drawback of restricting you from casting spells, so start with that and then build up.

Fizban
2010-01-24, 11:17 PM
You know, compared to something like Trollshape (swap your stats with a Troll except for hp. Yes that includes regeneration, and temp hp too), I'd say Transformation isn't worth more than 3rd level to begin with. If you want to get rid of the enhancement bonuses you could probably drop it to 2nd and compare it to Heroics (grants fighter bonus feats) or Scimitar of Sand (like Flame Blade but untyped and sor/wiz), both of which are already gibbing Fighters without removing your spellcasting.