PDA

View Full Version : Didnt know if anyone saw this...(VOTE OoTS BEST WEBCOMIC!)

Foeofthelance
2010-01-24, 11:26 PM
Apparently the Washington Post has Order of the Stick up as one of the top webcomics of the decade. Voting is here:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/comic-riffs/2010/01/the_best_webcomic_its_time_to.html

ScottishDragon
2010-01-24, 11:29 PM
go go go everyone vote for oots!charge to the ballots!

............1%.............:smallfrown:

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-24, 11:32 PM
Well, Rich doesn't care much for votes, since he has such a huge fanbase.

Foeofthelance
2010-01-24, 11:44 PM
Well, the comic is linked in the article, so its free publicity either way. Still, I figured for people who might want to know to show support. Crazier things have happened...

Innis Cabal
2010-01-24, 11:55 PM

He's had several things up on the News in the past about voting and awards...I think he likes them just fine. I mean, who dosn't really in the end

Roland St. Jude
2010-01-25, 12:00 AM

I, too, am puzzled by this assertion.

Anyway, vote away, I say and let's see what happens. :smallsmile:

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-25, 12:06 AM
Well, I remembered hearing that somewhere. Ah well.

Interesting. The results say that OotS is at 3%.

Zevox
2010-01-25, 12:13 AM
Huh - I'm kinda surprised to see neither Ctrl+Alt+Del nor 8-Bit Theatre on that list. I mean, I know the former has a lot of detractors as well, but it certainly has a large enough fan base that I'd expect it to get nominated a lot. And the latter, well, maybe I'm just overestimating its popularity, but I figured it would also be a shoe-in for nomination for something like this.

Anyway, I voted. For OotS, naturally - it is pretty easily my favorite webcomic.

Zevox

Maximum Zersk
2010-01-25, 12:15 AM
Huh - I'm kinda surprised to see neither Ctrl+Alt+Del nor 8-Bit Theatre on that list. I mean, I know the former has a lot of detractors as well, but it certainly has a large enough fan base that I'd expect it to get nominated a lot. And the latter, well, maybe I'm just overestimating its popularity, but I figured it would also be a shoe-in for nomination for something like this.

Anyway, I voted. For OotS, naturally - it is pretty easily my favorite webcomic.

Zevox

8-Bit theater may have a bit of Sprite Comic Ghetto. Can't seem to find any sprite comics on that list.

Zeitgeist
2010-01-25, 12:31 AM
Vote!

The numbers are small enough that I believe if everybody who views this thread votes, it could get high up there on the list.

derfenrirwolv
2010-01-25, 12:38 AM
Go go go! Sides girl genius i don't know what the rest of them are.

Setra
2010-01-25, 01:07 AM
Must..resist...voting..for..xkcd..or..girl genius... *Struggles for a moment before voting for Order of the Stick*

oball
2010-01-25, 01:22 AM
I find it mind-boggling that Achewood is not on that list. Ah well. I voted for PBF instead.

Martok
2010-01-25, 02:34 AM
It pained me to vote for OOTS over Questionable Content, but there's no question that it's my favorite. Not a week goes by that I don't look forward to the next strip here!

Hmm. Schlock Mercenary is the big vote-getter so far with 20%. Girl Genius is a distant second, with Eric Monster Millikin and xkcd tying for third place. OOTS itself is still a ways back at 5%.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-25, 02:40 AM
Damn! OotS isn't even close to first.

El Chupaqueso
2010-01-25, 03:01 AM
I had to cast my vote for PBS, but it was hard to decide between that plus OOTS and Penny Arcade. It's weird to see that Schlock Mercenary is winning, I don't think I know anyone who actually reads that.

Tass
2010-01-25, 05:21 AM
Must..resist...voting..for..xkcd..or..girl genius... *Struggles for a moment before voting for Order of the Stick*

Yeah I struggled too.

Xkcd won in the end... :smallfrown:

Killer Angel
2010-01-25, 05:40 AM
Apparently the Washington Post has Order of the Stick up as one of the top webcomics of the decade. Voting is here:

Nah, I'm not interested in such a thing. What a waste of time!

Anyway, vote away, I say and let's see what happens. :smallsmile:

DONE! :smallsmile:

There's no mind control, citizen. Go back to your fun.

Cicciograna
2010-01-25, 05:57 AM
Done. GO OOTS! :smallsmile:

lord_khaine
2010-01-25, 06:45 AM
I had to cast my vote for PBS, but it was hard to decide between that plus OOTS and Penny Arcade. It's weird to see that Schlock Mercenary is winning, I don't think I know anyone who actually reads that.

A lot of people around here reads it, it proberly helps a lot that the author have the most stabile update scedule seen so far, he hasnt missed a daily update in the last 8 years or so, and that includes the time where the server apperently explodet.

Calenestel
2010-01-25, 06:49 AM

Weird considering your name. :smalltongue:

And on that note: It was hard choosing between GirlGenius, OotS and Schlock, but the Giant won out in the end!

Aure Entuluva!
Calenestel

factotum
2010-01-25, 07:15 AM

I read it! In fact, it was a link on that website that took me to the voting page...where I voted OotS. (Soz, Mr. Tayler :smallsmile:).

Deadly
2010-01-25, 07:19 AM
One more vote for OotS. None of those others come even close to OotS as far as I'm concerned.

Scarlet Tropix
2010-01-25, 07:50 AM
Voting for OotS.
Whee.

gosh
2010-01-25, 08:07 AM
Right now we're 5th! Sweet!

zoltansonojo
2010-01-25, 10:25 AM
Managed to get myself to vote for OOTS (helped that the last xkcd wasn't particularly good)

Ancalagon
2010-01-25, 10:32 AM
xkcd is good, but oots has an ongoing storyline. So the choice was quite simple:

"Good comic with cool, ongoing storyline" > "good comic"

Optimystik
2010-01-25, 10:36 AM
I find it mind-boggling that Achewood is not on that list. Ah well. I voted for PBF instead.

Curses, I didn't realize PBF was there too. Now I can't decide. :smallfrown:

Actually, OotS wins because it's still being updated. *votes*

T-O-E
2010-01-25, 10:47 AM

I'm a fan, but it's esoteric and not very accessible.

WreckedElf
2010-01-25, 11:29 AM
Well there are a few comics on that list that I like, though not a one that I could say I like more than Order of the Stick.

I won't call myself super web comic saavy, but of all the times I've browsed for webcomics, the places that list them or the places that rate them I've never even seen mention of Shlock Mercenary. It appears to have slid past my new comic radar. Though it would appear to have quite a fan base.

Linkavitch
2010-01-25, 11:33 AM
As of my voting, OotS was in 4th place with 9%, preceded by xkcd with 11%, Girl Genius with 12%, and Schlock Mercenary with 24%.

zql
2010-01-25, 11:57 AM
just 800 votes more :smalltongue:

Ancalagon
2010-01-25, 01:28 PM
Some vote incentive material would be awesome. ;)

Lecan
2010-01-25, 01:52 PM
For those of you who Tweet:

Vote for OotS webcomic as "best webcomic of the past decade" here: http://tinyurl.com/y8d729m

Ancalagon
2010-01-25, 02:41 PM
The list is pretty strange. But anyway... some useful title for this thread would be... useful. ;)

t3h l3g1t m4g3
2010-01-25, 02:53 PM
Voted for OoTS, naturally. :smallbiggrin:

Optimystik
2010-01-25, 03:00 PM
Some vote incentive material would be awesome. ;)

I can see how 700 issues of awesome would fall short of your exacting standards. :smalltongue:

Beorn080
2010-01-25, 03:02 PM
I think Nuklear Power and other sprite comics aren't up there for legal reasons. I didn't see anything about what the comic that wins gets, but I don't think they would allow a comic that uses questionable legal content like sprites in.

Also, another vote for the MitD.

Ancalagon
2010-01-25, 03:07 PM
I can see how 700 issues of awesome would fall short of your exacting standards. :smalltongue:

Incentives are "extra". I'm always looking for a lame excuse to get more "extra". Don't even pretend you as well do not want to see more "extra". ;)

WreckedElf
2010-01-25, 04:07 PM
The list is pretty strange. But anyway... some useful title for this thread would be... useful. ;)

I second this notion... Is there a way for someone to change the thread title? Currently the thread title is easy to mistake for another random speculation or observation topic about the comic.

I'm sure there are plenty of people on the forums here who would want their vote counted if they knew there was a poll going on.

Optimystik
2010-01-25, 04:18 PM
Incentives are "extra". I'm always looking for a lame excuse to get more "extra". Don't even pretend you as well do not want to see more "extra". ;)

Of course I do, but that's not going to stop me from voting for what I've already gotten!

Ancalagon
2010-01-25, 04:22 PM
Of course I do, but that's not going to stop me from voting for what I've already gotten!

Pssst. Of course we all already voted for what's there. Just don't tell Rich. ;)

ThePhantasm
2010-01-25, 04:43 PM
OOtS is at 7% but I think it can easily rise if the forumites all vote.

Teddy
2010-01-25, 04:44 PM
Seems as if the fanbase of "Least I Could Do" (whatever comic that is. I'm not especially webcomic-savvy) is launching a massive voting offensive scoring almost a hundred votes per minute. I wonder what it would take for us to do the same for OotS?

Foeofthelance
2010-01-25, 04:52 PM
I dunno. Could we cross post the thread to other forums on the site?

Brendan
2010-01-25, 06:01 PM
3 more votes for OotS. I'm just that special.

derfenrirwolv
2010-01-25, 06:18 PM
Seems as if the fanbase of "Least I Could Do" (whatever comic that is. I'm not especially webcomic-savvy)

they're the same people that do looking for group. Even if you don't read a word of the webcomic, you HAVE to see the animation where the warlock sings the little mermaid song while incinerating and entire villiage.

As for least i can do, I never got into it.. seemed to be a seinfield webcomic

Zevox
2010-01-25, 06:20 PM
they're the same people that do looking for group. Even if you don't read a word of the webcomic, you HAVE to see the animation where the warlock sings the little mermaid song while incinerating and entire villiage.

As for least i can do, I never got into it.. seemed to be a seinfield webcomic
Aye, Slaughter Your World is great. I like Least I Could do, too, but not as much as Order of the Stick. But it certainly has quite a fan base, and I see Sohmer (the writer of the comic) put a link to that poll in a blog post on the front page of the comic, so it's not surprising it has shot to first place.

Zevox

picklepenguin
2010-01-25, 06:35 PM
Huh expected Sluggy Freelance to be up there. I didn't recognize many webcomics there. Of course I only know like six tops

Pepz
2010-01-25, 06:55 PM
It's odd that Least I Could Do is in first place (right now). Although I've had it bookmarked for over a year ( maybe even two by now ) I've never thought of it as a great webcomic. It was always just good fun.

This might be the reason why I voted for Perry Bible Fellowship instead of OOTS. Although OotS is checked daily, and has been so ever since I first found it, I think PBF has been more creative and original in it's posts.

I know most of these webcomics, and read quite a lot of them. It's anyone's guess which is going to win.

Psychonaut
2010-01-25, 06:57 PM
Wow, how on earth is LICD number one (and by a pretty substantial margin - currently at 20% with GG at second place with 12%)? I can understand how GG, Schlock, xkcd, and QC are pretty far up there, but from what I remember of LICD, it's pretty much on the level of a typical newspaper comic except with content that wouldn't be allowed in that format. (By which I mean, it's mostly gag-a-day with predictable and not-particularly-great humor.)

Also, aside from comics mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm surprised not to see Gunnerkrigg Court up there. It's got a smaller following than, say, OotS, but it's definitely less obscure than some of the other options. Plus, it's at around 675 comics, reliably updates three times a week, and it's generally considered to be a quality comic.

SaintRidley
2010-01-25, 07:03 PM
Huh expected Sluggy Freelance to be up there. I didn't recognize many webcomics there. Of course I only know like six tops

Probably because Sluggy started back in 1997.

I can't vote. Uncertain which to choose between OotS, QC, Sinfest, and XKCD.

Kurald Galain
2010-01-25, 07:58 PM
Wow, how on earth is LICD number one (and by a pretty substantial margin - currently at 20% with GG at second place with 12%)?
Given how quickly they went from zero to 3000+ votes, the most simple explanation would be a bot of some kind.

Forbiddenwar
2010-01-26, 12:26 AM
I don't recognize any of the other comics on the list, so my choice was easy.

And if we all edit our signatures to include this survey, then everyone will see it!

Querzis
2010-01-26, 12:58 AM
Ok there is definitly a bot involved with Ğleast I could doğ. OOTS, Girl Genius, xqcd, questionable content and shlock mercenaries are all much better then that thing. Hell, I think I saw top 100 of webcomics where Ğleast I could doğ wasnt even there and you're telling me its suddenly the most popular webcomic of all time?

Anyway, I voted for OOTS but I really wish I could also vote for Girl Genius. I hope one of those two win.

Zevox
2010-01-26, 01:23 AM
Ok there is definitly a bot involved with Ğleast I could doğ. OOTS, Girl Genius, xqcd, questionable content and shlock mercenaries are all much better then that thing. Hell, I think I saw top 100 of webcomics where Ğleast I could doğ wasnt even there and you're telling me its suddenly the most popular webcomic of all time?
I think you're simply underestimating LICD's popularity. After all, not only does it support its creator financially, but it was what allowed him to launch his own company, Blind Ferret Entertainment. I don't know what top webcomics list you're thinking of, but I'd be willing to bet it wasn't based on any objective criteria to determine the number of fans the comic has (if wikipedia is at all accurate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_self-sufficient_webcomics), there aren't even 50 webcomics popular enough to financially support their authors, much less over 100 - and yes, I realize the irony of using wikipedia to make a point after questioning whether that list you referenced used objective criteria).

Also, as I mentioned, the author put up a direct link to that poll on the front page of the comic's website, which obviously will bring it to the attention of a great number of the comic's fans. Certainly much more than thread buried in a forum, such as this one, will.

Zevox

Tass
2010-01-26, 01:30 AM
Curses, I didn't realize PBF was there too. Now I can't decide. :smallfrown:

Actually, OotS wins because it's still being updated. *votes*

Yeah PBF was a close third for me too.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-26, 02:00 AM
Least I could do isn't even slightly amusing. I've read gag a day comics that are a lot funnier. All I can say about it is that it's funnier than Tundra. Which isn't saying a lot. It's pretty hard to be WORSE than Tundra.

Eloel
2010-01-26, 02:16 AM
Questionable Content and xkcd confused me a bit - but OotS got the vote.

T-O-E
2010-01-26, 03:06 AM
Ok there is definitly a bot involved with Ğleast I could doğ. OOTS, Girl Genius, xqcd, questionable content and shlock mercenaries are all much better then that thing.

Whatever made you think that this is about quality?
Absurd!

Ancalagon
2010-01-26, 03:09 AM
I read Least I could Do daily, but that it would win "best comic of the decade"... come one... I hope someone else puts oots on the frontpage as well.

Least I can Do is good and really has a stable update cycle (which is awesome, but which can also be said about many other (not nominated) comics), but "best comic of the decade"? No way!

Onyavar
2010-01-26, 03:52 AM
As of my voting, OotS was in 4th place with 9%, preceded by xkcd with 11%, Girl Genius with 12%, and Schlock Mercenary with 24%.

LICD is now at 26%, xkcd is now on 19%, Girl Genius (as expected) at 10%, Questionable Content at 8%, Schlock at 6%, OotS and Penny Arcade are 5%.

I voted for five times now (yes I'm a bad boy!), but LICD was always far behind. For me it's obvious someone uses a bot in their favor. Who feels dirty enough to program a competing bot for oots?

Hm, since these elections are bot-manipulated and without any captchas, they're now of no interest anymore, at least to me.

Ancalagon
2010-01-26, 05:02 AM
I voted for five times now (yes I'm a bad boy!), but LICD was always far behind. For me it's obvious someone uses a bot in their favor. Who feels dirty enough to program a competing bot for oots?

probably someone who reads LICD? ;)

But xkcd cought up, so I guess the entire thing is totally moot now...

Squeejee
2010-01-26, 05:09 AM
Woah, how can we be trailing 2% behind QC? We can't let a bunch of indie rockers out-vote OOTS, if nothing else!

Jes went in, but I'm secretly backing xkcd...wait, did I say that out loud?

Jayabalard
2010-01-26, 07:37 AM
Must..resist...voting..for..xkcd..or..girl genius... *Struggles for a moment before voting for Order of the Stick*eh, not really a struggle for me; when I glanced over the list I knew I was going to have to pick xkcd.

I think it's kind of surprising that Perry Bible Fellowship is so far ahead of so many of the other comics, since he hasn't created any new comics in ages...

T-O-E
2010-01-26, 11:09 AM
LICD is now at 26%, xkcd is now on 19%, Girl Genius (as expected) at 10%, Questionable Content at 8%, Schlock at 6%, OotS and Penny Arcade are 5%.

Hm, since these elections are bot-manipulated and without any captchas, they're now of no interest anymore, at least to me.

The artist and writer plugged the contest on their twitters. Sohmer has 13000followers, Lar has 8,500. It is also at the top of the main site newspost.
LICD is extremely popular.
No, I don't think they're cheating. Any more than the others, at least.
[/Devils-Advocate]

The Succubus
2010-01-26, 11:18 AM
What kind of fail-list is that? No LFG, No Ctrl-Alt-Delete, no Dark Legacy?

T-O-E
2010-01-26, 11:19 AM
What kind of fail-list is that? No LFG, No Ctrl-Alt-Delete, no Dark Legacy?

This isn't the Worst Webcomic poll. :smalltongue:

Magnax
2010-01-26, 05:28 PM
I think it's kind of surprising that Perry Bible Fellowship is so far ahead of so many of the other comics, since he hasn't created any new comics in ages...

I thought that was odd as well. Granted, if PBF were still updating, it would get my vote - it's a great webcomic. But since it's been on an indefinite hiatus for a while, I can't really compare it to the comics that are still ongoing.

monomer
2010-01-26, 06:17 PM
I thought that was odd as well. Granted, if PBF were still updating, it would get my vote - it's a great webcomic. But since it's been on an indefinite hiatus for a while, I can't really compare it to the comics that are still ongoing.

To be fair, this competition is for the Best Webcomic of the Past Decade, not the best current webcomic, so I don't see why PBF should be overlooked.

Magnax
2010-01-26, 09:32 PM
To be fair, this competition is for the Best Webcomic of the Past Decade, not the best current webcomic, so I don't see why PBF should be overlooked.

That's a valid point. I just think that it's a significant merit for the comic to still be active, if we're considering which comic is best. Opinions will vary, I suppose.

Sky-Moon
2010-01-27, 05:28 AM
As of currently:

"The Order of the Stick"
1%

It was fun while it lasted.

TheBST
2010-01-27, 05:30 AM
Where the hell is Achewood?

Nimrod's Son
2010-01-27, 07:13 AM
Where the hell is Achewood?
My sentiments exactly. Daisy Owl, Dr McNinja, A Softer World, Pictures for Sad Children and Gun Show are all criminally underlooked too, and Wondermark really deserves more than just an honorable mention.

And I'm very surprised by some of the names that did make it. I mean, Hark! A Vagrant is good but if you're not a big history buff you won't get most of the jokes, and it only got its own website pretty recently after spending most of its life being hosted on Livejournal. Seems a bit soon for it to be considered an all-time classic. Oh, and Penny Arcade? Really?

From that list, The Order of the Stick is easily my favourite. Only Perry Bible Fellowship and xkcd even come close.

Kurald Galain
2010-01-27, 07:15 AM
Least I can Do is good and really has a stable update cycle (which is awesome, but which can also be said about many other (not nominated) comics), but "best comic of the decade"? No way!

The other explanation is simply "sex sells".

Come on, we have a dozen webcomics on that list that are hilarious, or that have great character development, or that simply have an excellent plot, or in several cases all three of the above. And we have one comic that is about sex. What did you think would happen?

(edit) holy crepe, that amount of votes went up quick. Okay, these results are getting rather ridiculous, with 100000 votes for PBF.

Thinking about this further, it makes me wonder how on earth they compiled this list to begin with. I believe I know quite a lot of webcomics and have simply never heard of over half of the list, and it feels like it's missing some crucial ones.

I suppose that of that list, Penny Arcade is the most influential webcomic of the decade, considering that a significant percentage of webcomics worldwide are PA-ripoffs. I suppose most of the comics on the list (particularly UF and XKCD) lack mainstream appeal. Sinfest has persistently been too controversial for many, and I suppose the art may be a turnoff to some regarding Schlock or even our dear OOTS.

Jayabalard
2010-01-27, 07:23 AM
To be fair, this competition is for the Best Webcomic of the Past Decade, not the best current webcomic, so I don't see why PBF should be overlooked.Yes, but it's not like there's a link by the creators/fans on the webcomic's blog/forums where people still go all the time looking for updates. It's running purely off of past readership. And it's just killing everything else at this point.

Mortizal
2010-01-27, 03:29 PM
I suppose that of that list, Penny Arcade is the most influential webcomic of the decade, considering that a significant percentage of webcomics worldwide are PA-ripoffs.

Penny Arcade itself was a ripoff of a slew of comics that came before it, ie EverCrest (and have since died off).

Mystic Muse
2010-01-27, 03:41 PM
I read about half of the perry bible fellowship comics.

......I can't believe it. I actually found a comic less funny than Tundra or least I could do.

T-O-E
2010-01-27, 03:45 PM
Yes, but it's not like there's a link by the creators/fans on the webcomic's blog/forums where people still go all the time looking for updates. It's running purely off of past readership. And it's just killing everything else at this point.

It's pretty clearly been hacked. I don't think it could have jumped so high in so little time otherwise.

Optimystik
2010-01-27, 04:22 PM
Penny Arcade itself was a ripoff of a slew of comics that came before it, ie EverCrest (and have since died off).

And? It's still the most influential.

ThePhantasm
2010-01-27, 08:03 PM
How is OOTS at 1%? Seriously? Because those other webcomics are not funny.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-27, 08:52 PM
XKCD is pretty good and so is girl genius but out of the ones on there that are supposedly good and are beating OOTS I don't get the appeal.

read through all of PBF. There was ONE funny comic.

oball
2010-01-27, 09:50 PM
read through all of PBF. There was ONE funny comic.

Just out of interest, what is it like having no soul?

Mystic Muse
2010-01-27, 09:54 PM
[QUOTE=oball;7779073]Just out of interest, what is it like having no soul?[/QUOTE

So because I don't like overly sexual comics and ones where the joke is "haha she's cheating on him/he's cheating on her" I have no soul?

If you care to prove me wrong in the no funny comics thing you can PM me or IM me if need be.

However, to answer your question, it's pretty average except there are times where you simply wish you were dead and could stop bothering people.

Ted The Bug
2010-01-27, 10:17 PM
I've never understood Penny Arcade. Also, XKCD and OotS are surprisingly low. Let's go vote OotS and change that!

Claudius Maximus
2010-01-27, 10:43 PM
So because I don't like overly sexual comics and ones where the joke is "haha she's cheating on him/he's cheating on her" I have no soul?

That sounds a lot like Least I Could Do, rather than PBF. Are you sure you didn't mix them up?

Mystic Muse
2010-01-27, 10:50 PM
No, I definitely didn't mix them up.

This was the only comic I found the slightest bit funny. http://www.pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF210-Wishing_Well.gif other than maybe the birthday one.

Nimrod's Son
2010-01-28, 01:41 AM
If you care to prove me wrong in the no funny comics thing you can PM me or IM me if need be.
If this one (http://pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF084-No_Survivors.gif) doesn't do it for you, you're a lost cause. :smalltongue:

oball
2010-01-28, 01:57 AM
NS, you have excellent taste. That's exactly the one I was going to link. This one (http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF130-Book_World.gif) is another favourite of mine.

Also I'm not sure how you can get "overly sexual" from PBF unless you were raised in a mountaintop monastery by celibate monks and taught that people reproduce via binary fission.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-28, 01:59 AM
nope. Neither of those were funny.

I just think some of the jokes relied too much on sex to try and be funny. It also seems TOO dark at times.

You want dark and funny here's one that updates daily and actually makes me laugh. In fact this is one of my favorite comics.

http://comics.com/pearls_before_swine/

oball
2010-01-28, 02:09 AM
Maybe I've just spent too long on the internet, but no, I wouldn't consider the smattering of sexually-themed PBF strips "overly sexual", especially not when there are things like Sexy Losers out there.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-28, 02:14 AM
Maybe I've just spent too long on the internet, but no, I wouldn't consider the smattering of sexually-themed PBF strips "overly sexual", especially not when there are things like Sexy Losers out there.

Or maybe you were simply raised in a different environment than I was.

My family doesn't exactly like that kind of stuff and I kind of take it to an extreme. I don't even like curse words unless they help the story in some way (which sometimes they do. Erfworld for instance)

heck the ruder a conversation gets the more uncomfortable I feel. I wanted to leave a party hosted by my own cousins because the conversation was getting what I consider to be unnecessarily rude.

Now I should probably edit my above post because that might break board rules and I'd rather not get an infraction.

Nimrod's Son
2010-01-28, 02:15 AM
I'm also struggling to see where you're getting the "overtly sexual" thing from. I don't recall seeing anything like that in PBF. To be fair, it's a long time since I read the archives, though, so I clicked on twenty random strips to check.

Not a single sexual reference (either overt or hidden) in any one of them, for what it's worth. I'm sure there are a couple of strips in the archive with a nipple or two in them, but it's very much the exception rather than the rule.

Although, since we've established your lost-causedom, I'm not quite sure why I'm still arguing. :smallwink:

oball
2010-01-28, 02:20 AM
Oh, there's certainly sexual references in some of them, I'm not denying that, but probably no worse than you'd see on TV. Certainly much less explicit than some of the stuff that, say, South Park gets away with. Sex is definitely not the main theme of the comic, though.

But as Kyuubi points out, different people have different thresholds for that sort of thing, so we'll just politely agree to disagree on PBF's merit as entertainment.

Nimrod's Son
2010-01-28, 02:25 AM
But as Kyuubi points out, different people have different thresholds for that sort of thing, so we'll just politely agree to disagree on PBF's merit as entertainment.
Aww, man. Just when I was about to launch into my Naked Dance of Provocation, too. :smallfrown:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-28, 02:25 AM
probably the worst thing I watch on TV is the simpsons. I never watch family guy, south park, american dad or a lot of other popular shows because I just don't find them that funny.

oball
2010-01-28, 02:32 AM
To be fair, I don't think anyone who isn't a stoned college student finds Family Guy funny.

Sky-Moon
2010-01-28, 05:31 AM
probably the worst thing I watch on TV is the simpsons. I never watch family guy, south park, american dad or a lot of other popular shows because I just don't find them that funny.

I know 8 year olds who watch Family Guy.

T-O-E
2010-01-28, 11:27 AM
@Kyuubi:

However, to answer your question, it's pretty average except there are times where you simply wish you were dead and could stop bothering people.

of course it doesn't prove anything. It's an opinion just like yours is and we're both entitled to our opinions. However, when our opinions are needlessly provocative they're better left unsaid.

I just think some of the jokes relied too much on sex to try and be funny. It also seems TOO dark at times.

Constructive criticism is fine. complaining it simply isn't the way you want it to be is an insult to us and the author of this comic.
'Member this? :p

Mystic Muse
2010-01-28, 02:37 PM
@ T-O-EYes. I'll admit maybe I was being overly provocative. However, I gave my reasons why I didn't like it I also decided to provide an example of a comic I think does dark humor well. I was hoping to find a reason to like it but I didn't and now I'm dropping the issue.

Perpetuum
2010-01-29, 01:32 AM
Wait: you take issue with PBF being too sexual, but you also listed XKCD as a comic you enjoy. I'd actually say that there's quite a bit more sexuality in XKCD (it is romance, sarcasm, math and language, after all). Heck, XKCD is more explicit (http://www.xkcd.com/631/) in it, too.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-29, 02:03 AM
I never said I enjoyed the sexual XKCD comics. I don't. However the author does have quite a few comics that aren't sexual or aren't quite as blatant.

Ancalagon
2010-01-29, 03:44 AM
What I find really curious: That comic in question (for example) is really *about* something. Read the mouse-over-text. I think the message of that thing here has quite a lot of truth...

Sex is nothing to be ashamed of - it's quite good, actually. And those comics are just stupid comics. But don't listen to me as I won't get what's to bad/amoral about a few lines of pencil anyway. ;)

Kurald Galain
2010-01-29, 07:15 AM
Wait: you take issue with PBF being too sexual, but you also listed XKCD as a comic you enjoy. I'd actually say that there's quite a bit more sexuality in XKCD (it is romance, sarcasm, math and language, after all). Heck, XKCD is more explicit (http://www.xkcd.com/631/) in it, too.
I think the difference is that PBF relies on sexual innuendo for its humor, whereas XKCD is humorous on its own and some of its jokes just happen to be about sex.

Dingdongtudelu
2010-01-29, 08:32 AM
Reloading the page gives you a chance to vote again. Say hi to vote-bots.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-29, 02:09 PM
I think the difference is that PBF relies on sexual innuendo for its humor, whereas XKCD is humorous on its own and some of its jokes just happen to be about sex.

Yeah, this is my point but said much better.

Gamerlord
2010-01-29, 02:19 PM
I wonder why sluggy freelance & 8-bit theater is not on this.....

Anyway, I voted for OOTS, even though I find it to be pretty "Meh", simply because it was particularly better then the rest of the webcomics on the list (I find only about 10% of XKCD comics funny, I hate LICD, I hate penny arcade, I hate PvP, etc.)

That and it pays for this forum :smalltongue: .

Gamerlord
2010-01-29, 02:22 PM
To be fair, I don't think anyone who isn't a stoned college student finds Family Guy funny.

Seconded!

Though I don't find the Simpsons funny either, then again, I hardly watch it, then again, that may be because I don't find it funny.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-29, 02:26 PM
Seconded!

Though I don't find the Simpsons funny either, then again, I hardly watch it, then again, that may be because I don't find it funny.

well, to be fair that are quite a few simpsons shows that are a bit sub par. I don't even watch it very much anymore because there are other, better, shows to watch.

Vemynal
2010-01-29, 02:37 PM

eh it had a couple of good season...i mainly used to like the baby and dog because im an alcoholic intellectual and was a closet case who wanted to destroy the world.

you get over these things in college though =p