PDA

View Full Version : ways of upping animal companion

dougch
2010-01-25, 03:33 AM
ok idea atm is having a mounted goliath on a phynxkin mount using size advantage to ride and shoot like some sort of mad mongolian.

i know beast master works but thats a single level already beign used. as well as the +3 druid level feat that my dm is cool for makign up in my lost levels for takign a dire phynxkin

what about some feats and selectiosn for me to up my ride so i can turn asaide any attacks on him?

Roc Ness
2010-01-25, 03:38 AM
I remember there is a druid variant somewhere that sacrifices all wild shape for a +2 to your effective animal companion level...

Does that help?

dougch
2010-01-25, 03:41 AM
a sort of nifty idea but aint no way im losing my wild shape. but thanks for the effort

Darrin
2010-01-25, 07:15 AM
Warbeast template (MM2), +1 HD, +10 speed. For a Phynxkin, cost would be 2HD = 100 GP.

Magebred template (Eberron), +10 speed, +2 natural armor, +2 to one physical ability score, gains a bonus feat (which could be Improved Natural Attack or Multiattack). Cost is double what a normal animal would be. Technically, you'd apply Magebred first (inherited template), but 1HD Phynxkin don't have a listed cost, so just double the Warbeast cost = 200 GP.

A Magebred Warbeast Dire Phynxkin would be 7HD and cost 1250 GP.

Eldariel
2010-01-25, 08:25 AM
Best ways to improve your animal companion are magic and equipment. 'cause all the class-based improvements have already been listed and there's like...Celestial Companion out of other options. So yeah.

What you want to be doing is Greater Magic Fanging and Barkskining and maybe Enrage Animaling and Animal Growthing and such your AC, and giving it Bardings, some magic items once you can spare, etc.

Ruinix
2010-01-25, 10:29 AM
Warbeast template (MM2), +1 HD, +10 speed. For a Phynxkin, cost would be 2HD = 100 GP.

Magebred template (Eberron), +10 speed, +2 natural armor, +2 to one physical ability score, gains a bonus feat (which could be Improved Natural Attack or Multiattack). Cost is double what a normal animal would be. Technically, you'd apply Magebred first (inherited template), but 1HD Phynxkin don't have a listed cost, so just double the Warbeast cost = 200 GP.

A Magebred Warbeast Dire Phynxkin would be 7HD and cost 1250 GP.

u forgot to add warbeast give:
+3 STR
+3 CON
+2 WIS
+1 listen y Spot
+2 Ride (for the rider and for make any check with this mount)

and can use light/medium/heavy armour wich can be enchanted ^^

and magebread also give:

-swift learner (halves the cost/duration of any train. ex. warbeast training cost 2 weeks, with this its take only 1 week) and -2 to any handle animal check to teach tricks

+4 survival check for follow tracks

+4 to 1 phisical stat and +2 to the other 2.

faceroll
2010-01-25, 10:48 AM
Magebred explicitly can't be used with animal companions in the druid section of the ECS, unfortunately. Since it's a dire animal, you could make it a horrid animal.

Eldariel
2010-01-25, 11:01 AM
Magebred explicitly can't be used with animal companions in the druid section of the ECS, unfortunately. Since it's a dire animal, you could make it a horrid animal.

Horrids are available as ACs already, but are +3 higher adjustment than Dire versions. So Horrid Tiger is a level 19 companion, for example.

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-25, 12:05 PM
There's always the Natural Bond feat. Adds 3 levels to your effective druid level for determining what they can get.

Radar
2010-01-25, 12:08 PM
If you are looking for a mount, then maybe dip into Palladin (or it's prestige version from Unearthed Arcana). This might allow you to combine your animal companion with palladin's special mount - there is is feat, that allows this (Devoted Tracker if I read some builds right). This thread (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866958/Supermount!?pg=1) might give some hint and advice on the subject.

sofawall
2010-01-25, 12:15 PM
There's always the Natural Bond feat. Adds 3 levels to your effective druid level for determining what they can get.

I think that was mentioned already.

In the OP.

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-25, 12:18 PM
I think that was mentioned already.

In the OP.

Oh I didn't that. I thought the DM was simply letting him get +3 druid levels to his animal companion for free.