PDA

View Full Version : Dropping d20 Modern's Wealth System

Sintanan
2010-01-25, 04:54 AM
Is there a quick and dirty conversion out there to get rid of the overly complicated and unnecessary Wealth system found in d20 Modern and swap it out for D&D's simple gold pieces?

My group is interested in playing a game using d20 Modern, but no one likes the Wealth system as is.

EDIT: My Google-fu might just be lacking, but a few searches hasn't turned anything up.

Rappy
2010-01-25, 05:12 AM
The book Sidewinder: Recoiled has cold hard cash rules. Your only problem is hunting a copy down.

EDIT: And I think Modern Player's Companion does as well (although I don't have it on hand, too many books to monitor), and it's easier to find.

Yuki Akuma
2010-01-25, 05:15 AM
I think the book gives a rough wealth bonus-to-dollars conversion, but you'll have to eyeball it in most cases.

I don't see the problem with the wealth system, though. How is it hard? It's a d20 roll-plus-modifiers against a set DC, like every other mechanic.

Rappy
2010-01-25, 05:20 AM
I don't see the problem with the wealth system, though. How is it hard? It's a d20 roll-plus-modifiers against a set DC, like every other mechanic.
I agree, but I figure that if Sintanan's group wants to use cash rules, it's only fair to be helpful.

Also, one more note to Sintanan: if you want gold instead of modern cash, Urban Arcana has a conversion of it.

raitalin
2010-01-25, 06:11 AM
Or you could just look up the prices of things on the net.

Also, the wealth system's there for a good reason: just wait till a character gets a credit card, or a loan.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-01-25, 07:42 AM
Or you could just look up the prices of things on the net.

Also, the wealth system's there for a good reason: just wait till a character gets a credit card, or a loan.

This^

Money works differently in our modern society to how it does in D&D, the Wild West, or whatever.

On the other hand, if your PCs are outside of the modern developed world, you'll need to use a cash system, or barter.

Sintanan
2010-01-25, 03:16 PM
It's not that it's hard, it comes across as overly complex in the SRD information for d20 Modern. I don't know if this is because of a failure to communicate exactly how the system works in the SRD I found, or just the Wealth system is as complex as it appears.

I like it, the other players don't from the information available. I'm currently trying to hunt up an actual hardcopy of the d20 Modern rulebook, but I wanted to keep my group's options open.

Thank you for the provided information.

FoE
2010-01-25, 03:28 PM
The problem with a modern society that the Wealth By Level system is meant to correct is the availability of free credit and loans. Sure, you might be sacrificing your long-term future by maxing out five credit cards to buy guns, but if there's a good chance you're getting eaten by demons over the course of the next week, what do you care?

You should lay it out for your players that if they don't care for the Wealth By Level system, they better not bitch to you about being restricted to cash only.