PDA

View Full Version : Grease you do not notice?

Gnaritas
2010-01-25, 07:18 AM
What if a wizards casts grease in front of the door in the room he is in and then a fighter opens the door and enters to attack the wizard.
If the Fighter fails to notice the Grease (not unlikely)does the Fighter get to throw a balance check the same way a Fighter who did notice the grease?
I can imagine he was not walking carefully (half speed) and therefore fails automatically the balance check or at least the DC should be higher for someone who does not notice the slippery surface....
Would he still get the reflex save?

Bayar
2010-01-25, 07:27 AM
Same conditions apply. Make a reflex save vs prone, then make baalnce checks to walk normally and stuff.

Optimystik
2010-01-25, 07:38 AM
Seeing that the ground ahead is slippery before you step on it does not magically give you more traction.

Gnaritas
2010-01-25, 08:43 AM
Seeing that the ground ahead is slippery before you step on it does not magically give you more traction.

True, but moving full speed onto a slippery surface you do not notice or moving more carefully on a slippery surface you do notice is a huge difference...

Optimystik
2010-01-25, 08:49 AM
True, but moving full speed onto a slippery surface you do not notice or moving more carefully on a slippery surface you do notice is a huge difference...

That's already taken into account, with the penalty to balance checks from moving at full speed. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/Balance.htm) The spell therefore needs no modification.

Moglorosh
2010-01-25, 08:51 AM
True, but moving full speed onto a slippery surface you do not notice or moving more carefully on a slippery surface you do notice is a huge difference...I could see giving you a slight circumstance bonus to the save at the cost of a significant movement speed penalty for "moving more carefully".

Gnaritas
2010-01-25, 08:57 AM
That's already taken into account, with the penalty to balance checks from moving at full speed. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/Balance.htm) The spell therefore needs no modification.

Excellent, this is what i needed!