PDA

View Full Version : City of the Spider Queen

Theogon
2010-01-25, 07:35 AM
I've been playing this official forgotten realms campaign with my players. I would like to know if there's anyone finished or going on with this campaign.

Actually i am a little obsessed about this campaign because it will be my 5th attempt on the game and i've failed all of 4 games because of some reasons. in first game ranger killed wizard and their fight on game kept on real life. and in other games some problems happend too (such as no player available, exams etc.)

---------can be spoiler-----------

now with this party it's goin' pretty good (paladin-10, rogue-4 - dungeon delver-3 [svirfneblin], cleric[lathander]-10, fighter-10) we've completed first game. they cleaned dordrien crypts. by touching a door (on D5 i think) our deep gnome could not disable the trap and died by a slay living trap. Cleric raised him but he didn't tell that he died. he just said "you were unconscious my friend" :smallsmile:

---------can be spoiler-----------

so any opinions about campaign, or any fun stories?

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-01-25, 07:49 AM
I've run the old AD&D version of this - it's tough.

Try to be as tactical as you can, and work as a team and you'll enjoy it best. It can get very confusing if you're not methodical about exploring, and you risk being betrayed and ambushed if you're not careful.

Aharon
2010-01-25, 09:11 AM
I would consider allowing the gnome character a forest gnome instead of a svirfneblin, or at least allow him to buy of his LA.

Other than that, it depends on what your group wants. If they relish combat encounters, leave everything as it is. If they favor story, I would allow them to bypass many of the combat encounters through diplomacy or stealth (for example, my group bypassed almost all of the supposed combat encounters in the Dordrien crypts and in Szith Morcane, focusing on taking out Dorina T'sarran).

As my players optimized rather well, their characters were able to go through the opposition rather easily. That doesn't seem to be the case for your group, so you don't have to worry about that.

For the above reason, I awarded less XP, so this may be a problem you don't face with a group that advances slower: The drow are seriously filthy rich. The normal soldiers have mithril shirts worth 1000 gold each. If your group has a high carrying capacity, for example via portable holes, that may throw them totally of the recommended Wealth by Level - on the upper side.

The proposed tactics of the opposition are rather - unimaginative. Spellcasters in particular throw damaging spell after damaging spell at the players, ignoring debuffing and battlefield control for the most part. If your players advance too fast for your liking, you might want to adjust the NPC spell selections.

ken-do-nim
2010-01-25, 10:47 AM
I've run the old AD&D version of this - it's tough.

What's the AD&D version? I thought City of the Spider Queen was an original 3.0 adventure. Are you referring to D1-3? They're not the same.