PDA

View Full Version : what to do with the loot? (rant)

Kol Korran
2010-01-25, 10:13 AM
no need to actually reply to this post, i just wanted somewhere to vent off my frustration. in the last adventure/ mini campaign our DM ran (oh, this thread deals a bit with it- Cormyr: tearing of the weave, and it's succesor- Shadowdale: scouring of the land. if you're in them, please read no further. if you know anything AT ALL about the second one, please don't include this here, or spoiler it. i prefer to be surprised) our party went through a loooooonng stretch without being able to sell or store our loot (about 4 levels worth of time). we became literal pack mules, with hoards of stuff piled on us. we played by the rules though, and had barely gotten most of the stuff with us. some we had to leave behind.

truth be told, all of the players just returned to the game after a long time of no playing, so we didn't think of the simplest solution to traveling problems- a holding bag.

we thought that whatever would come next wouldn't involve such long stretches, but we decided to buy 2 type 1 holding bags just in case. we thought our carrying troubles were over (with 500 lb worth of carrying in the bags alone)

we were wrong.

the next adventure (shadowdale, scouring of the land): sent us into the middle of an enemy controlled territory, in order to try and break the enemy's hold of the place, get the locals to revolt, and then have a big fight with the baddies (or at least that's what we think the general plan is). but, after some merceneries and half way through clearing a fort (which conceals a teleportation gate), we over burdened with loot once more! and it's not even a 1/4 of the adventure yet! (we think) note that we take only magical loot, arts, gems and coins (which prove to be the weightiest "item" on the list)

where can we sell all of it?
maybe to the arms dealers the baddies invited to town. but we're trying to keep on a low profile, and selling the equipment of baddies might draw some attention.

where can we store it?
maybe at a friendly local's house or hide out, we hope to find one. but the baddies are doing routine sweeps for weapons and armor and so on.

what can we do with it?
well, maybe it could be used to supply the resistence with some choice weapons and arms (currently they have none)- but again, hiding them is a problem.
another risky option is to try and sway the loads of merceneries in town to our side in the promise of loot. but this could back fire SO HARD on our asses.

why did the designers of this series of adventures (i head there was one more in Anauroch) didn't leave any avenue of getting rid of the loot? drats and double, even triple drats! (probably got the quote wrong, but meh...)

if you've actually read this far, thank you. i needed to vent. that's all,
Kol.

Optimystik
2010-01-25, 10:16 AM
Players complaining about too much loot? And I thought I'd seen everything. :smalltongue:

Anyway, these:

what can we do with it?
well, maybe it could be used to supply the resistence with some choice weapons and arms (currently they have none)- but again, hiding them is a problem.
another risky option is to try and sway the loads of merceneries in town to our side in the promise of loot. but this could back fire SO HARD on our asses.

seem like good ideas to me. If you're worried about what might happen, try a Commune/Augury/Contact Other Plane to let you know if they are good ideas. "Is it dangerous to supply the mercenaries using our excess items?" seems like a reasonable question.

jiriku
2010-01-25, 10:20 AM
You could always take the pirate solution and bury it somewhere, to return for it later. But IIRC, Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave takes the party up to 7th or 8th level. If you're 1/4 of the way through the next module, you should be coming up on 9th level pretty fast. Teleport much? That solves all of your problems.

faceroll
2010-01-25, 10:45 AM
Shrink Item is spectacular. It lasts 5 days, which means you can shrink everything, adventure, then shrink it all again on down time. For multiple objects, like coinage, you just stick 'em all in a chest and shrink the chest.

Telonius
2010-01-25, 11:48 AM
Very cheesy solution: Find a Druid. Put a bunch of stuff in a backpack (up to 2x his maximum load), and have the Druid carry it. Druid wildshapes, and all the gear melds into the new form. New form is not carrying anything, so has no encumbrance penalties.

bosssmiley
2010-01-25, 11:49 AM
why did the designers of this series of adventures (i head there was one more in Anauroch) didn't leave any avenue of getting rid of the loot? drats and double, even triple drats! (probably got the quote wrong, but meh...)

Working out how you're going to get the delicious loot somewhere safe so you can squander invest it without having it garnished/stolen is part and parcel of being an adventurer. You're the professional tomb robbers: you work it out!

Volkov
2010-01-25, 11:53 AM
Find the nearest metallic dragon and give all the loot to him. He will be very grateful for the healthy donation.

Kol Korran
2010-01-25, 12:11 PM
I... I... I never thought this much help would come, and this soon! thanks people!

If you're worried about what might happen, try a Commune/Augury/Contact Other Plane to let you know if they are good ideas. "Is it dangerous to supply the mercenaries using our excess items?" seems like a reasonable question.

That is an excellent idea Optimystik! and i've wondered on what to do with my Divination spell today...
and by the way, i was susprised at hearing me complain too!

Teleport much? That solves all of your problems.

Our wizard just got access to that spell Jiriku. i hope we have the time to spare at shopping and so on, but it seems so. there is some problem with the weave where we're at as well, so it might be problematic. well, we'll see. now just how far away is Cormyr? Arabel should suffice i think...

Faceroll, none of us has the shrink spell. and besides, but a good idea to keep in mind.

Telonius we actually thought of that one, but the DM rules that all the weight penalties carry over to the wild shape. oh well

Working out how you're going to get the delicious loot somewhere safe so you can squander invest it without having it garnished/stolen is part and parcel of being an adventurer. You're the professional tomb robbers: you work it out!

Boss Smiley- you are right, i had a lapse of sight of the adventurer's way. won't happen again. :smallwink:

thanks again people, you're great.
Kol.