PDA

View Full Version : 4ed druid question

incubus5075
2010-01-25, 10:44 AM
So a druid can wild shape at-will....so could I essentially use this to disguise myself as a member of another species ie dwarf, drow, whatever? Then I could make the changlings cry?....

Also what if I was a giant spider and was fighting drow, would they still attack me even though it is against their religion?....It hasn't came up yet but drow always show up eventually :)

Ozreth
2010-01-25, 10:58 AM
So a druid can wild shape at-will....so could I essentially use this to disguise myself as a member of another species ie dwarf, drow, whatever? Then I could make the changlings cry?....

Also what if I was a giant spider and was fighting drow, would they still attack me even though it is against their religion?....It hasn't came up yet but drow always show up eventually :)

No to the first question. The druid section in the players handbook goes over what you can turn into.

Not sure about the second one, probably up to the DM. If I were a drow I probably wouldnt attack you.

Optimystik
2010-01-25, 11:02 AM
I doubt they would attack you outright, but it probably wouldn't take much for them to realize you're not really a spider.

Also note that only killing spiders is forbidden. They can still subdue you if you cause trouble, and once they find out your true nature...

DabblerWizard
2010-01-25, 11:18 AM

- I'm pretty sure the text in the phb2 suggests that you can only turn into animals.

- Maybe only a certain species of spiders are holy. It seems silly to not defend oneself if a spider is attacking. Furthermore, the drow probably have ways to tame spiders, because wild ones can hardly be properly worshiped.

incubus5075
2010-01-25, 11:43 AM
well i mean technically humans are animals....so why not subhumans?

Kylarra
2010-01-25, 11:47 AM
well i mean technically humans are animals....so why not subhumans?Because humans and demihumans are humanoids and not natural beasts or fey beasts.

TricksyAndFalse
2010-01-25, 12:20 PM
well i mean technically humans are animals....so why not subhumans?

4E Druids tap into the Primal Beast to wild shape. The Primal Beast cares not for your technicalities.

More seriously, as already said above, the power description specifies natural or fey beasts. Also, all your gear becomes part of your beast form. Even if a drow elf counted as a beast, you'd be a naked drow elf-beast, more likely to stand out than blend in.

incubus5075
2010-01-25, 12:33 PM
Because humans and demihumans are humanoids and not natural beasts or fey beasts

oh good point! Thanks for the info

Nate the Snake
2010-01-25, 02:01 PM
Does this mean that Master of Many Forms is not a viable paragon path? :smalltongue:

4E Druids tap into the Primal Beast to wild shape. The Primal Beast cares not for your technicalities.

I like this. :smallbiggrin: May I sig it?

Ozreth
2010-01-25, 02:02 PM
Does this mean that Master of Many Forms is not a viable paragon path? :smalltongue:

I like this. :smallbiggrin: May I sig it?

Haha damn! You beat me to it! Oh well, more props for Tricksy that way.

Optimystik
2010-01-25, 02:21 PM
To reiterate my point - Drow are forbidden from slaying spiders. Beating the crap out of one that they have reason to suspect is not forbidden anywhere that I can see.

Yakk
2010-01-25, 02:45 PM
Have a high bluff check if you want to fool people into thinking you are a natural animal.

Bluff vs Insight, or Bluff vs Nature, would be required, I suspect.

FoE
2010-01-25, 02:52 PM
1) If you turned into a giant spider after encountering drow, they would know you were not a true spider and therefore be free to kill you.

2) No true servant of Lloth would try to kill her children. Therefore, if a giant spider was attacking a drow, they would know it to be a false creature.

If anything, being confronted by some blasphemer taking the form of their godess would probably drive the drow into a murderous rage.

KillianHawkeye
2010-01-25, 06:27 PM
2) No true servant of Lloth would try to kill her children. Therefore, if a giant spider was attacking a drow, they would know it to be a false creature.

What, really? Do you think She actually cares if a few drow are killed by some of her other minions? She's the one who keeps making the drow kill each other whenever they're not trying to kill surface elves or going for world domination.

hamishspence
2010-01-25, 06:29 PM
To reiterate my point - Drow are forbidden from slaying spiders.

Except in Drow of the Underdark, where this taboo appears to have been mostly chucked out- they may revere spiders somewhat. But they also eat them.

Maybe "never kill a spider" is more a Faerun thing.

Inyssius Tor
2010-01-25, 06:58 PM
2) No true servant of Lloth would try to kill her children.

:confused:

But... isn't that the entire basis of Drow religion and society? I mean, I'm honestly not sure the priestesses of Lolth do anything else.

juggalotis
2010-01-25, 07:07 PM
i say religion or not if its them or you, the drow will make you a spider kebob. goes with being evil.