PDA

View Full Version : General consensus on Charm Person

MichielHagen
2010-01-25, 05:23 PM
I was wondering about the following situation:

A wizard is in his room with 2 guards. A fighter and a barbarian come in and exchange blows with the guards. The wizard casts Charm Person on the Barbarian.

Does he get a +5 bonus on saves? i believe so

The Barbarian fails his save

Does he consider the Guards as enemies, allies or neither? I believe he considers them allies, since apparently he knows the Wizard (his friend) and the guards are in the same team (cause if the guards attack him the spell breaks).

If the Wizard asks the Barbarian to "Please wait outside" does he need a opposed Charisma check? I believe not, it is not harmful, and walking out a door is a normal action

What happens when the Wizard dies and the guards are still alive? not sure

Please comment on my answers if you agree or disagree and why :smallbiggrin:

thank you :smallredface:

Lapak
2010-01-25, 05:41 PM

A wizard is in his room with 2 guards. A fighter and a barbarian come in and exchange blows with the guards. The wizard casts Charm Person on the Barbarian.

The Barbarian fails his saveOkay so far, and I agree with the +5.

Does he consider the Guards as enemies, allies or neither? I believe he considers them allies, since apparently he knows the Wizard (his friend) and the guards are in the same team (cause if the guards attack him the spell breaks).Sure.

If the Wizard asks the Barbarian to "Please wait outside" does he need a opposed Charisma check? I believe not, it is not harmful, and walking out a door is a normal actionThat one I disagree on. The spell doesn't wipe out his existing relationships, just adds one: he now sees the combat as two of his best friends trying to kill each other. Unless he'd normally turn his back on that, he's going to get the opposed check. In my view, the Wizard would actually have a better shot at convincing the barbarian to attack his party member non-lethally 'to calm him down so we can talk.'

What happens when the Wizard dies and the guards are still alive? not sureHuh. Good question. In that case, one of his friends is dead, so he'd certainly protect the rest of his friends from them. What he would do after the fight is over, though, that's one to think about.

Kurald Galain
2010-01-25, 05:43 PM
(1) the bonus? Yes.
(2) the guards? He's still attacking them, but not the wizard. If his good friend (the wizard) tells him these guards are friendly, he'd be willing to listen. Possibly not if he's raging.
(3) depends on what exactly the wizard says and what the barbarian's character is, really.
(4) the spell breaks.

Imho.

MichielHagen
2010-01-25, 05:50 PM
No raging, i just used Barbarian to have a difference between the Fighter and Barbarian.

Yzzyx
2010-01-25, 05:52 PM
Quoted First Post

The Barbarian fails his save

Does he consider the Guards as enemies, allies or neither? I believe he considers them allies, since apparently he knows the Wizard (his friend) and the guards are in the same team (cause if the guards attack him the spell breaks).

If the Wizard asks the Barbarian to "Please wait outside" does he need a opposed Charisma check? I believe not, it is not harmful, and walking out a door is a normal action

What happens when the Wizard dies and the guards are still alive? not sure

Please comment on my answers if you agree or disagree and why :smallbiggrin:

thank you :smallredface:

Quoted Charm Person

Charm Person
Enchantment (Charm) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One humanoid creature
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This charm makes a humanoid creature regard you as its trusted friend and ally (treat the target’s attitude as friendly). If the creature is currently being threatened or attacked by you or your allies, however, it receives a +5 bonus on its saving throw.

The spell does not enable you to control the charmed person as if it were an automaton, but it perceives your words and actions in the most favorable way. You can try to give the subject orders, but you must win an opposed Charisma check to convince it to do anything it wouldn’t ordinarily do. (Retries are not allowed.) An affected creature never obeys suicidal or obviously harmful orders, but it might be convinced that something very dangerous is worth doing. Any act by you or your apparent allies that threatens the charmed person breaks the spell. You must speak the person’s language to communicate your commands, or else be good at pantomiming.

1) If the guards and the wizards are allies, and the guards are threatening or attacking the barbarian, yes. Otherwise, no.

2) He considers the wizard to be his trusted friend and ally. If the wizard says the guards are good guys, he would be inclined to believe him. Unless, of course, the guards are attacking another of his trusted friends. If his two best friends are fighting each other, he will probably try to stop it, preferably using nonlethal means.

3) Walking out a door is a normal action, but abandoning his fighter ally to death is not (probably). If there is still a fight going on (or similar), definately. Otherwise, probably not. Just imagine the wizard as the barbarian's new best friend and use your best judgement.

4) I don't recall ever seeing a rule stating that spells end upon death, so the spell's effect continues. The barbarian's best friend just died. If he knew the guards were allies of the wizard, and they hadn't done anything to him (or his allies), he should regard them as friends, though not nearly as good friends as his old pal the wizard. He will probably attack his best friend's killer, and he may try to bring the wizard back to life.

ericgrau
2010-01-25, 07:07 PM
I agree on all points, as long as neither he nor his guards attack the fighter after the charm and before the barbarian leaves the room. Note that preventing the fighter from leaving the room at the same time - if the fighter chooses to leave - might cause the barbarian to ask why until given a plausible explanation. "We need to speak with him alone" would probably suffice.