PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] ECL 20 Fiend?

Drakevarg
2010-01-25, 06:03 PM
This is a rather unusual question I'm asking for campaign-specific purposes. In my custom setting, the Isle of Artres, it's impossible for a character to earn more than 20 class levels. That's simply the peak of development. Racial HD and LA don't count, so for example a Minotaur has a max ECL of 28, whilst a human's max ECL is 20.

This is further stretched by the fact that at level 10, it's possible for a a character to be blessed by one of the Gods of War (in this setting, either Gruumsh or Corellon Larethian) and gain either the Fiendish or Celestial template. (You can also gain that template by being the son/daughter or grandson/granddaughter of a Half-whatever, but that's not the point.) Again, this doesn't count towards a character's class levels, making a human's max ECL with the blessing 22.

The idea I came up with recently was that it would be possible to further exceed this capstone by the possiblity to, at level 20, be offered to trade in your class levels to become a Fiend or Celestial (again, depending on which god actually likes you) with ECL 20, leaving all 20 class levels open again, giving a max ECL of 40.

(BTW, this campaign's gods are unkillable, so the chances of usurping through this method is nonexistant.)

Although the Monster Manual doesn't like me turning demons into player races so most of them don't have given level adjustment, are there any that would have exactly 20 ECL, or should I just homebrew one?

hamishspence
2010-01-25, 06:05 PM
Given that ECLs tend to be somewhat on the high side, homebrewing it might be easier.

Pick a fiend a few (but not too many) hit dice below 20, and have fun.

Drakevarg
2010-01-25, 06:08 PM
I was starting to think I should just homebrew one. Don't really like DnD's IKEA demons anyway.

Oh, and forgot to mention, the same question applies to celestials.

Runestar
2010-01-25, 06:13 PM
There are quite a number of celestials with ECL20 - astral deva, trumpet archon, ghaele, sword archon (BOED), leonal. Other possible choices may also include gold dragon.