PDA

View Full Version : The Dying Way - Group 1 IC Thread

loser0ll
2010-01-25, 11:03 PM
You each awake in the dark, alone, not sure where you are or how you ended up getting here. The last thing you remember was going to be the night before examinations on the eve of your examinations for graduation. You are fully dressed, with all your gear and equipment either on your person or sitting nearby. You also see two Soldier Pills and a Chakra Restoration bottle on the ground nearby.

The room is small and unfurnished, with only the hard floor under you. Only one door leads out, closed securely and made of iron. A note sits on the door, awaiting your inspection. A brief sense of fear grips you before your training and natural willpower buries it - whatever is going on, whether it's related to your examinations or not, you know that you -are- on your own.

Okay - for this first segment, we'll have to run things a little differently than for the rest of the game. Until you've all split up into groups, I'll be posting once a day - you'll each need to post your actions between now and this time tomorrow night. Because there are certain surprises, I'll need to post the results for everyone at the same time.

The Blue Guard
2010-01-25, 11:42 PM
Yukanjishin

Yu's eyes were half-closed as he lazily reached out for his sword. "Bad sword." He mumbled. "Come back here." Pulling it closer he snuggled up to the katana as if it were a stuffed bear. "Sleep time... is now time." He was dimly aware he wasn't in the buff and that he was, as a matter of fact, dressed. Hugging the blade closer his poorly lit mind made other assertions about his surroundings; he noted the soldier pills, the C.R.A.P, and the note by the door but he did nothing about them.

The sudden sinking fear made him do something though, not because it was fear but because it was not that familiar fatherly fear that would drop over him whenever he did something stupid. Unlike that fear he feared this fear. So standing up unsteadily, yawning and stretching all the while, he took conscious note of everything. "Wow." He sighed. "This isn't at all weird... and that makes me sad." Letting his arms droop he scoops up the two pills and the potion before sitting down to read the note.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-01-25, 11:44 PM
Takii awoke swiftly, the Greatsword at his back already drawn and brandished before he realized what was happening. He scanned the area before sheathing the Blade. His mind quickly worked out what he had been doing last. He looked about, and nodded. This was part of the examination. There were other explanations, but that one seemed the most likely. With that set, he took stock of his surroundings. The pills and bottle he picked up, secreting away. He then took stock.

Could try to blast my way out... but that should wait.

Coming to obvious choice then, he took the note down and read it carefully, his ears still waiting for the slightest noise to put him back on alert.

Bowerbird
2010-01-25, 11:57 PM
Shiori
Shiori awakes on the hard floor, without opening her eyes she listens to see if there's anyone else near her. Once satisfied that she is alone she opens her eyes and checks again. Then takes stock of the situation, she goes over her equipment, and gathers up the pills and potion. Hmm, must be part of the graduation, a test perhaps.. She gets up and checks the room for escape routes, anything hidden and not immediately obvious. Finally she gets to the note, pulling it off the door she glances down to read.

Active search check, just in case: [roll0] looking for possible means of escape.

Felirc
2010-01-26, 01:29 AM
Rin comes to a bit disoriented. He's found himself asleep on the floor several times before, but he didn't remember it being quite so hard and uncomfortable.

Suddenly realizing he wasn't home he took quick stock of the area. He noticed his Cloak was folded nicely in a corner of the room, two pills and a bottle that he recognized were sitting on top of it. "Well, at least I know they don't want me dead." he thought to himself with a bit of hope.

He put on his cloak and placed the provisions in his pouch, which he noticed was in the wrong position. Shifting it back over, he headed towards the only door in the room to find out what the note says.

Man, this just had to start when I had a headache. Well, I think that's the best I can do tonight, but at least I did manage to get off a post.

I used purple for speech, I don't remember if someone chose it and I'm in no condition to check. If it turns out someone else is using it, I'll switch in future posts.

-Felirc-

Dyrnwyn
2010-01-26, 02:11 AM
Fumio

Holding his head, Fumio awakes with a splitting migraine and a sore back. He rises from the floor slowly, allowing his eyes to adjust to the darkness. As he waits, Fumio feels around in his pouch and breathes a sigh of relief when he finds his book is just where he left it. Even after his eyesight becomes clear, he takes his time to gather the soldier pills and chakra restoration bottle resting within easy reach.

"My head feels like a ton of bricks," he mumbles under his breath.

Fumio places his hands on his back and stretches, the joints popping and snapping to his delight. He extends his left arm and focuses the chakra a few inches below his wrist, easing a small serrated bone from his arm, into his right palm. Fumio's left arm hangs limp, but he can already feel the bones reknitting themselves together. Time to get a move on. Fumio takes a few steps toward the door, and squints his eyes as he tries to read the note in the darkness.

d3vil
2010-01-26, 03:21 AM
"Crap ..."

suddenly went through Manabu's mind, just a split second before his eyes became open wide.

"No, no, no, no, no ,no. This .. What ... Crap."

After jupping up, nervously running his fingers through his hair and taking hasty looks at the room, he sat back down.

"Okay. Think .. this is .. oh .. Crap!!"

After realizing that he possibly is taking part in an exam ("Ninja Ways my ass."), Manabu gets to his feet and picks the previously unnoticed note.

Vox Clamantis
2010-01-26, 04:20 AM
Tamasine

Opening his eyes, Tamasine stares at the ceiling for a long moment, considering. He can tell that he's clothed, and the weight at his waist means he's armed. This could only be part of the test.

Rolling quickly to his feet, the young man - still a child, really - slides a knife into his palm and considers his surroundings for a long moment. Crossing to the door (leaving the offerings untouched for the moment), he takes the note in hand and reads it carefully.

He really wouldn't do anything until reading the note - if note it is. It might contain instructions...or it might be a trap.

The-Mage-King
2010-01-26, 10:48 AM
Grand Wind ninja, Fuumaru Uchiwa

The appropriately named ninja awoke with little fuss.

'Hmm... It seems they did do as I suspected. Good. Now, where are my shades...?' He thought, looking around for the mentioned object.

Finding them, he put them on before appraising the room.

'Let's see... empty room, with a note on the door, two soldier pills and a chakra restoration potion on the floor...'

'Oh, crap. I'd better search the floor... And walls... And ceiling... And make sure that these aren't poisoned or something... Then I'll read the note...'

Fuumaru makes an active Search check, and also whatever sort of check would be needed to determine if the pills and chakra potion are poisoned or not without ruining them. Ah, paranoia, the one way a ninja keeps alive...

Mandalcio
2010-01-26, 07:19 PM
"Frick, it shouldn't be this cold... I doubled up the covers last night... No wonder, this is stone..... I sleep on wood flooring, not stone..... and....... why are my clothes on?"

Pazazu groggily awoke to find himself isolated in the small, unfinished cell. Crawling off his belly, Pazazu shifts into a kneeling posistion and observes his new surroundings. "Two pills and a bottle of crap. So much for hospitality these days; they could have at least left me with something good to eat... Plus everything is in black and white, so that probably means it's pitch-black in here."

Pazazu bear-crawls over to the iron door. "Looks like there's no other way out." He pushes against it briefly, just to make sure it really is locked. "Sure would suck staying here if it was open." Pazazu then leans over, lowering an eye level with the gap between the door and the floor. "Probably can't see much, but somebody just might be out there. No harm in giving them a holler."

"HEY! Does anybody out there care to explain how-the-hell I got from my room to this crap hole?" While waiting for a response, Zazu notices the small piece of parchment attached to the door. "A message? I wonder if I got kidnapped by some crazy..." Peeling off the sheet, he briefly examines it to determine whether it actually has any significance.

loser0ll
2010-01-27, 04:00 PM
---Pazuzu---
As you examine room, your lack of caution combined with a lack of training end with you suffering an unfortunate accident. A trap activates when you approach the door with the note hanging - and a needle flies at you. This trap catches you off guard, but misses you through luck only. It shatters on striking the opposite wall, revealing what you can only guess is a poison of some sort. The note was clearly meant to be some sort of map or guidance method... but you lack training or experience in that area as well. It is completely useless in your hands. There appear to be no other surprises in the room.
---Fuumaru---
You examine the room carefully, caution taking over in the unfamiliar situation. By some stroke of luck, your own luck and natural intelligence overcome the lack of formal training - and you manage to find a small trap, set to fire at you. Your mechanical expertise grants you a sudden inspiration, and you find yourself graced with extraordinary luck one again - you find that it is so rediculously simple to disable, that you can actually take it with you! Add a "Custom Needle Trap" to your inventory if you so choose - 1 Minute to set the trap up. It fires a single Throwing Needle into anyone who moves into the same square on foot, provided they weight at least 30 pounds. +0 Attack Bonus, if it hits the victim must make a Fortitude Save or suffer temporary Stregnth Damage. 1 Minutes later it forces a second save to avoid becoming unconscious. Your expertise doesn't tell you enough to be certain on the difficulty in resisting the venom, the damage done by the poison or the length of forced unconsciousness. It seems fairly mild, but still effective against your average person and many animals - something a hunger might use to trap or weaken prey before a kill. You have no idea how to decipher the note, which seems to be an incripted map beyone your ability to analyze. There appear to be no other surprises to be found in the room.
---Tamasine---
You examine the room carefully, caution taking over in the unfamiliar situation. By some stroke of luck, your own luck and natural intelligence overcome the lack of formal training - and you manage to find a small trap, set to fire at you. While you lack any training applicable to the situation, you do come up with a simple enough solution - let it fire from something else. With time, you manage to successfully force the trap to fire prematurely, ruining it, but also eliminating any risk it poses. The needle it fired shatters against the wall, leaking some unidentifiable substance. (You have no skills or abilities really applicable, so your only other real option is to deliberately let it hit you... if you wish to do so for some reason, let me know and I'll alter this post.) You have no idea how to decipher the note, which seems to be an incripted map beyone your ability to analyze. There appear to be no other surprises to be found in the room.
---Manabu---
A lack of caution finds you unprepared for the needle that flies into your thigh as you approach the door. It buries itself in your leg, and you feel a sort of numbness try to creep through you. You fight off the initial damage, but must wonder how long before you feel the secondary effects...You have one minute worth of action you can choose to take before the secondary effect kicks in. Please post what you'll be doing for the next minute and include a Fortitude save. Oh, and you take 1 point of Damage.
---Fumio---
A lack of caution finds you unprepared for the needle that flies towards your thigh as you approach the door. It slides cleanly through the edge of the skin on your leg, and you feel a sort of numbness try to creep through you as toxins enter your bloodstream. You fight off the initial damage, but must wonder how long before you feel the secondary effects...You have one minute worth of action you can choose to take before the secondary effect kicks in. Please post what you'll be doing for the next minute and include a Fortitude save. Oh, and you take 1 point of Damage.
---Ishimaru---
A lack of caution finds you unprepared for the needle that flies towards you as you approach the door. It lodges itself into your stomach, only narrowly missing vital organs, and you feel a sort of numbness try to creep through you as toxins enter your bloodstream. You fight off the initial damage, but must wonder how long before you feel the secondary effects...You have one minute worth of action you can choose to take before the secondary effect kicks in. Please post what you'll be doing for the next minute and include a Fortitude save. Oh, and you take 1 point of Damage.
---Shiori---
You examine the room carefully, caution taking over in the unfamiliar situation. By some stroke of luck, your own luck and natural intelligence overcome the lack of formal training - and you manage to find a small trap, set to fire at you. While you lack any training applicable to the situation, you do come up with a simple enough solution - let it fire from something else. With time, you manage to successfully force the trap to fire prematurely, ruining it, but also eliminating any risk it poses. The needle it fired shatters against the wall, leaking some unidentifiable substance. (You have no skills or abilities really applicable, so your only other real option is to deliberately let it hit you... if you wish to do so for some reason, let me know and I'll alter this post.) You have no idea how to decipher the note, which seems to be an incripted map beyone your ability to analyze. There appear to be no other surprises to be found in the room.
---Takii---
As you examine room, your lack of caution combined with a lack of training end with you suffering an unfortunate accident. A trap activates when you approach the door with the note hanging - and a needle flies at you. This trap catches you off guard, but the trap-maker was careless - it firely wildly, never coming close to touching you. It shatters on striking the opposite wall, revealing what you can only guess is a poison of some sort. The note was clearly meant to be some sort of map or guidance method... but you lack training or experience in that area as well. It is completely useless in your hands. There appear to be no other surprises in the room.
---Stilgar---
As you examine room, your lack of caution combined with a lack of training end with you suffering an unfortunate accident. A trap activates when you approach the door with the note hanging - and a needle flies at you. This trap catches you off guard, but misses you through luck only, the poorly set trap hurling the needle nowhere near your body. It shatters on striking the opposite wall, revealing what you can only guess is a poison of some sort. The note was clearly meant to be some sort of map or guidance method... but you lack training or experience in that area as well. It is completely useless in your hands. There appear to be no other surprises in the room.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-01-27, 04:30 PM
Takii nods at the trap. He didn't let himself be frightened. It just confirmed his suspiscions. This was the test. He should have been more careful, and would be in the future. The lesson was well learned. The note was useless to him, but he refused to just throw it away. He turned instead to the door.

"Won't beat me that easily, old men."

Takii pulled out the Iron Wire he carried, and began to examine the door. If the hinges are on the inside, he examines them for traps before setting to work on them. If not, he bends the Iron Wire into a Hook shape, and tries to slip the Wire between the Door and the wall, and find the catch. Depending on how it is fashioned, he either tries to force it to slip off, or simply tries to brute force it open.

[roll0] Search check for traps on the Hinges

or

[roll1] Strength check to physically break the catch

Vox Clamantis
2010-01-27, 05:49 PM
Tamasine

Drawing one of his knives from its sheath on his belt, Tamasine carefully drags its tip through the poison left behind by the trap's needle. "No sense in wasting this."

Satisfied, he slides the knife back into its sheath and considers the note. Their teachers tended not to give his classmates much credit, so the encrypting was probably something commonplace...perhaps even cliché.

Comparing the encryption to common stories about encrypted materials, to see if its something similar to a folk-tale or legend.
[roll0]

Regardless, the door would have to be dealt with. Drawing close to the iron barrier, Tamasine tries several methods of getting it to open.

First, he'll try the obvious: simply pushing and pulling.
If it doesn't swing easily, he'll check whether the hinges are on the inside or the outside. If they're on the inside, he'll try breaking the hinge with the hilt of his sword-cane:
[roll1]

If they're on the outside, he'll check the edges of the door (and the rest of the room, for that matter) for any point of exit that might be large enough for a Tiny animal to get through.

Felirc
2010-01-27, 08:37 PM
Ishimaru:

Gripping his stomach in surprise, he looks down at the needle that slipped right past his cloak and into his gut. Wincing a bit from the pain he pulls out the needle and adds it to his pouch. "I guess I stand corrected." he said to himself with a bit of a smile.

This time checking to make sure that the trap is disabled, and searching for any others that might be in place, he again heads to retrieve the paper on the door.

After finding the paper, he moves himself into the corner of the room, where he found his belongings, to wait out the effects of the poison. Just in case they decide to ambush him, he takes out a smoke bomb from his pouch and tries to memorize how many feet to each wall from his current position.

OOC:

Serves me right for posting in a rush. =P

Fortitude save:
[roll0]

Bowerbird
2010-01-27, 11:18 PM
After calmly triggering the trap on the door Shiori looks down at the note in her hand. Damn, I knew I should have studied decryption a little bit more. Nevertheless she studies the note for a while.

Trying a few things.
#1 Knowledge: Ninja Lore [roll0]
#2 Craft: Calligraphy [roll1]
#3 Decipher Script (If it can be used untrained, can't check atm) [roll2]

Regardless she tucks the note into one of her pockets, No sense wasting it, it may become important later. Now, to see if there's any method of escape. She checks the door first, to see if it's further booby trapped.
Search: [roll3]
Then tries the handle to see if it's actualy locked. If so then she attempts to pick the lock. Here's hoping I can do this untrained: Disable Device: [roll4] (I couldn't find an open lock skill I assume it's now part of Disable Device)
If not she carefully opens the door slightly, wary of more traps, and of being detected, and peeks through the gap.

Dyrnwyn
2010-01-28, 04:33 AM
Fumio

Gritting his teeth as the needle becomes lodged in his thigh, he kicks himself for not weighing his actions more carefully. You're better than this Fumio. He probes the wound slowly, but is unable to pull the needle out. Nausea settles over his stomach, a side effect of his body fighting off the deadly poison.

Fort Save
[roll0]

Fumio takes his bone weapon and places it between his teeth, then opens the door with his right hand. With a grunt he pushes through to the next room, hopeful that he can finish his task before the poison takes full effect.

d3vil
2010-01-28, 05:37 AM
"CRAAAAAAP!"

he screams in anger, after realizing what happened. Carefully he pulls the needle out of his thigh. Since opening the wound with the tip of his kunai won't do him much good, he at least tries to squeeze a portion of the poison out of the tiny wound. After one minute, he carefully examines his condition.

Fortitude Save:
[roll0]

The-Mage-King
2010-01-28, 03:36 PM
'Another victory for the fanboy' Fuumaru thinks as he places the trap in one of his pouches.

'Now what do I do about that door...'

Two questions.
One, are the hinges on this side of the door?

Two, would you allow me to turn the door into a giant, makeshift explosive tag?

If yes to the first, then Fuu will search the door and try to remove the hinges with a kunai. I presume a Craft (Mechanical) check would be appropriate for that, so...
[roll0]

If no to the first, but yes to the second, then the same as above, but substitue 'paint a seal on the door' for
remove the hinges with a kunai' and (Calligraphy) for (Mechanical).

The Blue Guard
2010-01-30, 07:51 AM
Yukanjishin

The trap sprung and ejected the needle so fast that Yu didn't even have time to be surprised, instead he just blinked once and then took a second look at the map. "Joy," he mumbled before stuffing it into a pocket on his vest. Looking at the door again he tried to open it.

Mandalcio
2010-01-30, 12:13 PM
Pazazu freezes momentarily as the poisoned needle flies over his shoulder and shatters on the opposing stone wall. If he hadn't knelt down just moments before, the trap would've stuck him for sure. "Well. Gotta make sure I don't set off any of those in the future." He looks at the small sheet one more time, then throws it away toward the small pile of consuables in the room. "It can go with rest of the junk. If they expected me to read this useless note, they probably wanted me to eat the supplies too.

Danger having passed, Pazazu refocuses on his objective. "Seems like no one could hear me outside. I suppose all that leaves is getting this thing open." Confident the door was now trap free, Zazu takes a step back and rushes forward. Slamming into the portal shoulder first, the force should be enough to force it open.

loser0ll
2010-01-30, 01:56 PM
---To everyone---

(Special Note : If the trap was fired at all, the no poison/resources were recoverable, for anyone with a mind to collect the poison. Translating the map without ranks in Decipher Script is essentially impossible.)

As you attempt to interact with the door in various ways, you come to a strange realization. Not only is the door easily opened... it's actually meant to swing inwards. Almost as though it's strength and solid make are meant to allow you to hold things out instead of keeping you in.

You exit to a large, vibrant clearing in the woods - it's midday from what you can tell, but you see no clear signs of which way to go. The area is completely unfamiliar, and you get the feelings that without the aid of a translated map it will not be an easy task to navigate.

Looking around, however, you do notice one thing - carved into the door, as though by Kunai, you see a message. "North." No explanation is provided - whether this is a warning of which way you should go, or one telling you which way the legendary Ogre said to live under your bed lives, you have no way of knowing.

Everyone try and come up with 2 Skills you wish to use to navigate, and make the appropriate rolls. I'll base the results off of how applicable the skills are, your actual rolls, and even off of how well you can justify the skills you choose - I reward creativity, so don't be scarred to try an odd skills. That's why I asked for two options.

The-Mage-King
2010-01-30, 02:04 PM
Hm... Survival and Know (Earth and Life Sciences) for the navigating.

"Where the hell is this?" The wind style practicioner says, looking around at the exterior.

Seeing the carving, he grins.

'Hm... potential youkai to the north... Methinks I need to investigate...' He thinks, the grin turning sinister.

The Blue Guard
2010-01-31, 12:40 AM
Yukanjishin

Yu's eyes narrowed, his hand hand moving up to shield his eyes out of instinct. "At least I know I got enough sleep," he said as he rolled his right arm around before tying his sword to his belt. Looking around him at the quite lovely clearing he thought how nice it would have been to have a nap here but that jolt of fear from before niggled at the back of his mind. "Whatever," he blurted. "I'll go north I guess."

OOC
Survival because this'll require his knowledge of knowing which way north is and his ability to run across country, and Ninja Lore in case there are any connections between this supposed test and anything he might have learned at the academy; like a Ninja Saying that'd bring it all into context or something.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Vox Clamantis
2010-02-01, 12:46 AM
Tamasine

Wincing as the noon sun hits his pale skin - he'll probably be burnt from head to toe by the end of the day - Tamasine steps out of the cell and eyes the area thoughtfully. Most of his training had been conducted in the village, with his parents, but there were advantages to being socially inclined. He may not have much experience with the outdoors, but he'd sat through more stories about the surrounding lands than any child his age should have had to. Now it looked as though those long interviews might be put to good use...

Choosing Profession for obvious reasons: navigating without a compass is a very ninja-y thing to have to do. And somewhat more off-the-wall, Gather Information. In this case, using it to see how many relevant stories he'd gathered in the past; whether there are any landmarks that he's heard of, etc.

It's a bit of a stretch, but he's loaded down with social skills, and you never know what tidbits somebody's going to remember.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-01, 02:03 AM
Taki was careful, sprinting through the door, and dropping into roll, rather annoyed at the lack of a trap. At least he could ask them to be consistent. He wanted as many of his competitors eliminated as possible. Victory without fighting was the best victory of all.

"North, huh? Well, either it is a trap, or it isn't. If it is, I'll spring it and show them just who they are dealing with. If not, well..."

Taki set off to the north, carefully picking his way.

Perception, and Ninja Lore.

Perception to just be able to pick out what he is looking for. There's something up North, and Perception will let him see it.

Ninja Lore for hints and tips of what is going on.

[roll0] Perception
[roll1] Ninja Lore

Felirc
2010-02-01, 03:29 AM
"Good, it seems they used a fairly weak poison." Rin said allowed as he raised himself up.

Strolling across the small room, now rather confident that he hit the only trap, he decided it was time to check out the door. To his amazement, the door was actually unlocked. Hesitant, he pulled it open, keeping the smoke bomb in his off-hand ready.

He couldn't help but wince a bit at the bright light coming in through the trees. Staying ready he took a quick look around the area. Once he decided there wasn't an obvious ambush waiting for him, he opened the door the rest of the way and calmly walked out, making sure his cloak didn't get caught in the door behind him.

He quickly surveyed his surroundings and couldn't see anything that seemed like a familiar land mark. With a slight frown he turned back towards his "cell" in an attempt to find more clues. To his continued amazement, another note was on this side of the door. The most obvious distinction being that it was rather easy to read, even from the distance he was at now.

"I guess I'm not given much of a choice." he said with a smirk returning to his face. It may be exceedingly dangerous, but at least they're keeping me entertained. he thought to himself, again taking a quick look around.

Deciding not to fall for the same trap twice, he walks 15 paces to the west, and then proceeds north, just in case.

OOC:
At least it only took a few days for Myth-weavers to bring the sheets back up. =P

Alright, I've decided on Survival and Stealth. I was considering Perception, but I'm going to go with a sneaky-er approach this time. =P

[roll0]
[roll1]

-Felirc-

d3vil
2010-02-01, 04:51 AM
Since the poison seemed to have passed, Manabu takes the chakra restoration bottle and the food pills, opens the door, examines the building he was kept in and starts to explore the forrest to the north. Continually leaving markers with his kunai, Manabu draws a makeshift map of the area using his caligraphykit.

Once in a while, he stops to investigate the area.

As I said, using Craft (Caligraphy) to draw some kind of map:
[roll0]

And using Investigate to learn of either the presence of others or general information:
[roll1]

Dyrnwyn
2010-02-01, 06:19 AM
Fumio

Fumio has a look at the message, then takes a second to take in his new surroundings. The breeze feels good on his skin, and though he's glad to be outside he has no idea which way north is. Much of his life was spent roaming the outdoors, since he was seldom allowed to spend time within the Hideaki compound. He was used to the outdoors and had the perfect idea to help regain his bearings.

"Better save myself some chakra," He said to himself as soon as he reached the base of the nearest tree. As soon as I get to the top I can scour the land and see if I find any landmarks, he thought as he placed his bone weapon firmly between his teeth, and began to climb. The old fashioned way.

Climb
[roll0]

Survival
[roll1]

Bowerbird
2010-02-01, 08:21 AM
Shiori
Finding the door unlocked Shiori's suspicions of a trap grow, she slowly opens the door, while peeking through the gap. After assuring herself that the way is clear she steps carefully out into the forest. Taking note of the message on the door, however warily, Shiori sets about trying to work out just where she is.

Survival: [roll0] To work out what time it is and which way is north by the position of the sun. Survival can be attempted untrained.
Gather Information: [roll1] Retroactive, to see if I recall any info about the graduation test, or local landmarks.

Knowledge (Nature): [roll2] + Search [roll3] Attempting to derive my location by finding local spiders and identifying their species.

Mandalcio
2010-02-01, 05:42 PM
CLAAANNGG! The cacophonous din of iron striking stone rings throughout the forest as Pazazu hurtles through the doorway. The surrounding wildlife becomes silent and stays that way for several minutes after the banging fades away. The young ninja lets out a tired sigh, inaudible over the vibrating metal.

"Heh. Never been to this neck of the woods before... or any woods for that matter." Pazazu stares into the endless expanse of trees before him.

His mind flashed back an Ateku village several years younger, when he and his classmates could count their age on their fingers. In their free time, young students would often group up and adventure into the wilderness, mimicking their ranked brothers and sisters. Some would come back with stories of monsters and demons while others would brag about defeating armies of bandits. Zazu didn't buy any of it; regardless of what was out there, he often assured himself the time was better spent fishing or sleeping. Perhaps there would've been some benefit to taking those trips, if he was anywhere near home, but now was not a time for regrets.

"North."

No message, no map, no explanation, simply north. "At least there's plenty of daylight left for trailblazing." An uneasy cracking noise follows Zazu rolling his neck. While "North" didn't make finding a direction too difficult, it didn't tell him much about distance. After that door non-sense, this could end up being a long trip. Nevertheless, he felt ready he was ready. "What else would they have me throwing all those kicks for?"
Pazazu will use his Profession: Ninja & Taijutsu skills to navigate to the unknown destination.

loser0ll
2010-02-09, 06:01 PM
---Pazuzu(Mandalcio)---
While specialized training might not be on your side, luck certainly seems to be. Your specialty gives no real insight into the lay of the land… but you do get a nagging sense of paranoia. This leads you to investigate the setting -slightly- closer than you might have… and you find a lightly armed and armored man watching you from hiding. You realize why the nagging sensation bothered you so much - your profession would see this as a perfect place to stalk and and ambush an enemy target! While the men don’t realize you’ve spotted them and have not so far attacked, they do each seem armed (though you can’t tell with what) and at least semi-competent in the use of their weapons.
You can talk to them, attack them, hide, run away… whatever you feel like doing.

---Fuumaru(The Mage King)---
Fortune deals you a heavy blow as all your efforts to find the direction you wish to travel seem to meet a huge mental block - you are certain that if you set out without aid, you will almost immediately become lost. But in a moment which proves that fate offers both good and bad, you find yourself recalling something about the local plant-life. A few of the trees -only- grow near a large river… so if you can come across the river, you could have a chance to follow it to avoid depending on your horribly confused sense of direction.
I substituted Knowledge:Nature because of a House-rule of mind (see the original post for details) and you had incredible luck on that roll… combined with horrible luck on your Survival roll. If you want to try and find the river, you can roll a d8 (unmodified) and try and come across it, along with a Perception roll.

---Tamasine(Vox Clamantis)---
You recall something vague that the instructors mentioned frequently during the week before. Something about how a group of bandits had been causing a lot of problems lately… a group that inhabited a large, local forest near a close-by river. You can’t seem to recall all the details, but you do remember that the vast majority of the bandits were non-ninjas, the leader was a rogue former-nin, and that the forest was close enough to the village that they had been the first offered the contract on this extermination mission…

The substitution was a stretch, but you did get in the 20+ range, a critical range for many of the less clear-cut ideas.

---Manabu(D3vil)---
Your nerves don’t seem as steady as you would have hoped, but you to manage to survey a few major local sights to include - while the map won’t help you with finding the direction you want to go, you feel a little bit more confident. While the map is poorly drawn by your personal standards, you feel slightly more confident in your ability to at least travel in a straight line - although whether or not the direction you choose will be correct is anyone’s guess.

---Ishimaru(Felirc)---
As you move along stealthily, your luck brings you many small blessings. You manage to piece together enough clues to discern the correct Northerly direction, and even manage to sneak up on a small animal as you move along. It has not yet noticed you…

It‘s an easy Knowledge check, and the roll I made for you to speed things along was a success - you recognize it as a young badger - probably not as strong or tenacious as an adult, but likely just as aggressive.

---Shiori(Bowerbird)---
While your spider-ish knowledge base provides few clues for finding the direction you wish to travel, you still locate True North easily enough with a little help from Lady Luck. Your uncommon knowledge-base does reveal something unusual though… You see, there are spiders that actively hunt/ambush… and those who lay snares and webs for small, harmless things to stumble into. You notice that… there seem to be almost nothing but hunting spiders. This leads you to wonder why the arachnid population is so… violence based - which leads naturally to paranoia as you scan for predatory creatures of larger stature. Oddly enough, you spot something stalking you, but it isn’t a predator - it’s a man with a spear and armor, watching you from nearby. He realizes you’ve spotted him and you know instantly that it’s time to pit your reflexes against his.
Initiative roll please.

---Takii(Tackyhillbillu)---
You are quite lucky with your with choices of actions- while you find little helpful information for directions, your perceptiveness does lead you to spot some vague movements. You spot a pair of figures who have been watching you since you left the small building - both are armed and armored, but neither moves as though they realize you’ve spotted them just yet.

---Yukanjishin(The Blue Guard)---
Somehow or another, you manage to get lucky several times. First, your Lore of subjects ninja-related leads you to recall an amusing child-story about a young Genin who was lost in the woods… and some of the tricks he used, while very basic, are ones that you feel as though you overlooked at first. When applying these tricks, you realize you were even luckier than you though - because they give you the final clues you need, leading you to successfully discern North. But before you head out, luck strikes once again - this time, you manage to spot a man in hiding nearby, watching you. He is armed and armored, although lightly so on both counts. From what you can tell, he doesn’t notice that you’ve figured out his location.
You‘re quite lucky… I hate that. It ruins my schemes. >.>’

---To Everyone---
If you didn’t get a notice saying you found the correct direction, and you have nothing else you want to do in the immediate area (none of you have any other way of finding North without help at this point) then roll 1d8 so I’ll be able to determine which way you start off traveling.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-09, 06:15 PM
Taki begins to walk in a random direction, turning his back to the men, doing his best to appear to not have noticed them. When he judged her had enough cover, he swiftly executed the Kakureimino no Jutsu, hopefully vanishing from their sight.

Let's see if I can encourage them to come up here.

[roll0] Hide, and he can do it with only 1/4 cover, something which should be capable of being found in the Forest.

Bowerbird
2010-02-09, 06:37 PM
Shiori draws her fan, and readies herself for a fight this unknown person. As she does so she tries to get a better look at them, seeing if she recognises them, and what his capabilities might be.

Initiative Roll: [roll0]
Perception Check: [roll1]

The-Mage-King
2010-02-09, 06:48 PM
The Egotistical Wind Ninja, Fuumaru Uchiwa

"...Ffffff-" Fuumaru says, looking around at his surroundings.

"I guess I'll have to look for the river..."

I think I'll look for the river... [roll0]

The Blue Guard
2010-02-09, 07:16 PM
Yukanjishin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb05JTrK3vg)

Yu stood and took a quick deep breath before letting it out slowly. Stop, he thought as he concentrated his mind and controlled his chakra. Then in an explosion of movement he charged at him, tearing into him with his kenjutsu technique iainuki. "Sword time!"

OOC:
AC: 19
HP: 10/10
CP: 4/6
Ongoing effects: none

Kenjutsu: Iainuki!
Perform: Automatic
Chakra cost: 2

Charge!
Attack: [roll0] + [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Charge for +2 attack, Iainuki for +2 attack and damage, and an Action Point to represent him cutting loose. I just hope I don't outright murder him, that'd be just awful! I wouldn't get to see his surprised face and hear his stumbling. :smallbiggrin:

Vox Clamantis
2010-02-09, 08:07 PM
Standing just outside the room with the iron door, Tamasine slowly turns in a circle, scanning the area. He shields his eyes with one pale hand, chewing on his lip as he consider his options.

"Bandits. Makeshift camp, so they'll probably need water. I have to find the river, I guess." More lip chewing and turning on the spot. "They'll be impressed that I figured out what the mission is, but unless I can suss out where I am and finish the job, that won't be enough."

Another minute and even the overconfident youth has to admit that he's hopelessly lost until the sun goes down a little, thereby indicating which way is West. But timing is everything. If I take too long, it's as good as failing. After heading back into the room to pocket the medicines, Tamasine emerges once again and crouches near the entrance, picks up a twig, and tosses it into the air. It falls with the knotted end pointed away from the door.

"Well, that's North until I know better."

[roll0]

d3vil
2010-02-10, 04:32 AM
"As expected. I know, how this place looks like, but I don't know where it is. Great. Okay, let's look. Ugly, ugly, ugyl, rotten, ugly, beautiful!"

After choosing a tree up to his tastes, Manabu heads off past that one.

I choose you, tree Number ...
[roll0]!

loser0ll
2010-02-10, 06:27 PM
You travel for a while, but find no signs or signals of anything that could give you direction - until sunset finally approaches. You use it to (briefly) reorient yourself - finding that you had been pointing the entirely opposite direction you intended to travel. This brief assistance fades quickly - long-term navagation by the sun is impossible in the shadowed setting, and your skills simply fail when it comes to using logic and marking to keep yourself oriented. Nightfall finds you struck by misfortune twice. First, you come across your very starting position. (Ironically, you turned out to be a case-study in randomly generated directions of travel averaging out!) Second, there seems to be an angry critter of some kind blocking it - it reminds you of the wolf-hounds they breed at the village, but slightly smaller. It appears to be fairly injured, which would likely explain why it feels bold enough to approach a man-made settlement so boldly - injured lone carnivores are often prone to poor judgement. Or maybe it was a bad decision that lead to the injury - you have no way of knowing.

You have the drop on it - if you choose to engage, include your Surprise action and an Initiative roll. If you choose to leave it, you won’t be able to get into the room you came from - which is also the only secure place you’ve seen so far, and nightfall is almost here.

---Manabu(D3vil)---
After wandering for many, many hours you come a clear conclusion - you are badly lost. Even sunset brings no assistance - while it allows you to briefly change your heading, the many shadows of the tall, thickly grown trees and local vegitation make it impossible for you to focus on keeping your heading just by the sun - you make only limited progress, much of which is correcting the errors of your previous travel.
Finally, near nightfall, you do have a stroke of incredible luck! Apparantly, fortune favors those bold enough to travel blind, in your case anyways - because you come across a river about 7 hours into your travels!
If you choose to travel along it tonight, you have no way of knowing which direction it flows from or two, so you’ll need to guess which way you’re traveling until Sunrise - after that, a DC 5 Survival check will allow you to keep a relative grasp on which way you have been traveling.

---Shiori(Bowerbird)[---
Two men run to surround you, one carrying a club and the other a dagger. Both wear simple, light armor - you’d guess nothing more than Leather, but the filth on both of them and the baggy clothes leave you with just a little uncertainty. Clubbo goes behind you, while Stabby moves in front, waving his dagger - as filthy as he is.
“Hehe… well, who’d have guessed a pretty lady would just wander in like this? It’s a lucky day isn’t it Mari? Now, as much as I wish I could believe you just wanted the company of a few men as famous for as us, I doubt that your just hiked up here to visit us… not with all the rumors of this forest hiding vicious bandits. So what are you doing here?” The larger man with his club snickers at the mention of bandits, and they leer at you as they wait for a response.
They‘re clearly attracted to you, and at least willing to pretend like they‘ll listen to whatever you say next if you want to try talking, although you‘ll have to work at it to get them to actually care about what you say. You don‘t have your weapon out yet because you lost initiative. You can attempt to draw it… if you feel that‘s wise.

Your technique works flawlessly. As does your efforts at saving your Chakra for later - your feel a rush of soreness strike you as your metabolize some of your bodily energy for the Chakra you are saving, but it does nothing you weren’t prepared for. As an added bonus, between the natural aid given by the terrain and the mystical assistance of your technique, you hide so well you doubt the men have even the slightest chance of fighting you, unless they’re very well trained! They continue walking along as though trying to follow your path - two of them, but armed and armored - with poor attempts at stealth.
Take 2 Non-Lethal Damage, and your hide check is +25 total. You can let them pass by and try and follow them, leave them alone, or attack them. If you choose to attack, roll appropriate checks for your action and Initiative. If you choose to follow them, roll a Survival and Perception check.

Your sudden rush takes the man by surpise, and despite your lack of ‘real’ training with the Katana, a lucky blow cuts through his stomach. While he grunts with the pain and collapses, it doesn’t appear -immediately- fatal, as the blow was much more shallow than it could have been. Still, he’s out of the fight for certain.
In a twisted way, his blood might just have saved your life - it splatters nearby, causing a second man to flinch, giving his position away before he can surprise you as you surprised his companion. You both react very fast, but your natural speed gives you the advantage - you‘ll have the first chance to act with this one too.
I rolled a new set of Stealth/Spot checks, and you got lucky - followed by a tie in Initiative, which you won because of your higher Dexterity modifier. So, it‘s your turn again.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-10, 06:42 PM
Takii ignored the soreness, watching the fellows come forward. He wasn't going to attack them pointlessly. While there was a prestige that attached due to sheer skill at arms, Takii was willing to bet that wasn't the point of this test. If it was, they wouldn't have elected to use this particular means,

Let's see where these fellows go...

Takii attempted to follow them.

Survival: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

Vox Clamantis
2010-02-10, 10:10 PM
Tamasine

The pale youth freezes. While his instincts demand that he seek cover, logic and training override them: if he moves, even to crouch, he may alert the beast to his presence.

His mind races.

It may be a wounded ninja hound, but it's too hard to tell from this distance. I'll try to subdue without killing it - luckily genjutsu-nin like me are perfect for this situation.

Taking a deep breath, Tamasine raises one hand to make the half-seal required for Shinkheki no Jutsu.

Don't need to make a Genjutsu check to perform Shinheki, but here's the Chakra Control to convert it.

[roll0]

If successful, the beast needs to make a DC 15 Fort or be dazed for one round and a DC 15 Will or take [roll1] nonlethal damage.

And [roll2]

Bowerbird
2010-02-11, 06:17 AM
---Shiori(Bowerbird)[---
Two men run to surround you, one carrying a club and the other a dagger. Both wear simple, light armor - you’d guess nothing more than Leather, but the filth on both of them and the baggy clothes leave you with just a little uncertainty. Clubbo goes behind you, while Stabby moves in front, waving his dagger - as filthy as he is.
“Hehe… well, who’d have guessed a pretty lady would just wander in like this? It’s a lucky day isn’t it Mari? Now, as much as I wish I could believe you just wanted the company of a few men as famous for as us, I doubt that your just hiked up here to visit us… not with all the rumors of this forest hiding vicious bandits. So what are you doing here?” The larger man with his club snickers at the mention of bandits, and they leer at you as they wait for a response.
They‘re clearly attracted to you, and at least willing to pretend like they‘ll listen to whatever you say next if you want to try talking, although you‘ll have to work at it to get them to actually care about what you say. You don‘t have your weapon out yet because you lost initiative. You can attempt to draw it… if you feel that‘s wise.

I'm going to attempt to talk my way out, keeping them talking for as long as possible and hiding my genjutsu techniques in order to frighten them into believing that there's some kind of monster loose in the woods.

"Oh," Shiori says, feigning suprise, "Nobody warned me about bandits, just that there was some kind of fearsome monster roaming around. That's why I have this shelter," she indicates the room she'd just left, "It's easily defensible from the inside, I'm supposed to run in there if..." she breaks into a coughing fit, "If the monster comes. Though I suppose two rugged men such as yourselves already know that, and have some sort of defense in mind against it?" She seems to have utterly missed all signs that they are in-fact bandits.

During the conversaton she gestures a great deal, attempting to pass off the hand seals of her genjutsu as emotive hand gestures. She uses ****sukentou no Jutsu (Disorienting Technique) to confuse them, and make them somewhat more suggestible.

I think this only works on one person, so I'll put my hand on dagger bandit, he seems to be the brains of the outfit, if this ploy seems to work then I'll continue, if they see through it I guess I'll have to fight them.

- Rolling Bluff for lying through my teeth while turning on the charm: [roll0] plus another one if my Charm ability applies.
- Bluff for passing my hand seals off as emotive gestures: [roll1]
- Genjutsu for performing the disorienting technique [roll2] DC 12.
- Chakra Control check for quickened conversion to HP damage: [roll3] DC 12, I'll take 1 damage, and spend 1 chakra.

"I came up here to collect medicinal herbs for my village, we've got a bit of a plague, I am one of the few well enough to go out and look for the herbs to make more medicine, I need to get them back before I get too sick to return." Shiori does her best to look sad, and a little frightened. "Wait! Did you here that?"

On my next turn I will play up the fact that I heard something, and perhaps it's the monster. Stabby should already be pretty confused, I'll use my fright genjutsu to make him think that something is very wrong.

The-Mage-King
2010-02-11, 02:52 PM
'Crap. Now I've gotta fight...' The wind themed ninja thought, looking at the creature in front of him.

"Come!" He yelled, grasping his umberella's handle and giving it a twist to draw the sword part of sword-cane.

Actions: Draw sword and ready an action to attack if the creature attacks me.

Attack roll [roll0].

Current Status:
AC: 13
HP: 8
CP: 6
Effects: None.

The Blue Guard
2010-02-11, 03:32 PM
Yukanjishin

Digging the ball of his right foot into the dirt Yu launched himself again at his target. Letting his right arm go limp during the charge he instead swung his left fist at the man's jaw.

OOC:
AC: 19 (-2 charge)

Charge!
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]; non-lethal

loser0ll
2010-02-12, 02:21 AM
The creature looks at your blade, and isn’t completely stupid - it knows danger when it sees it. It slowly eases back, still snarling at you, but oddly enough it seems to also be snarling at a set of bushes not too far off to the side from you and it as well. It makes no hostile movements just yet - though angry, it doesn’t seem crazed or hungry enough to attack you quite yet.
To get an idea of the locations of you, the area of overgrowth it‘s snarling at and the badger, imagine a V - you and the badger form the two top points, while the bushes are the lower point. If you make no actions on this next turn (it‘s your turn again, it held it‘s action as well, except for taking a 5 foot step away from you) you may roll a Perception check to glance at the bushes without dropping your guard.

The beast seems unable to defend itself in body or mind - it collapses on the ground, both from it’s mind being dazed and the fierce mental pain that shoots through it’s already wounded body. It isn’t currently dying, and you suspect it will only be out an hour or so if you leave it alive - but for now it is clearly down and out.
Take 3 Non-Lethal Damage, although with a DC of only 9 (5 for 1-1 ratio, 1 for Rank, 3 for 3 Chakra) you could have simply taken 10. Also, you got lucky - he rolled exactly 1 below making both saves.

---Shiori(Bowerbird)---
Your lie seems to work perfectly - while the structure’s location makes little sense, they see you purely as an object and their willingness to assume that you’re helpless and harmless helps counteract this. The knife-man eyes you nervously as his mind narrowly throws off the mental spell - but his lack of knowledge about Genjutsu leaves him unaware that you are the cause of the narrowly-repelled sense of dread. “Monsters? I don’t hear anything… but remember how Genju just disappeared a while ago? They found his body all eaten up, and blood all over his dagger. He was good with that dagger… anything that he cut with it that managed to still kill him and eat it up must be nasty…”
His nervousness shows through despite the technique’s failure.
Lose 1 Chakra and take 1 Non-Lethal Damage. They had only a small chance at beating your first bluff check, and none on the second.

You manage to sneak after them successfully once they give up on tracking you down. While you do a poor job of following their tracks, you somehow find yourself catching another glimpse of them or hearing them complain about the thorns they stepped in. A few hours drag by, and they come across a river where they stop to drink. Once finished, they head along the river, traveling slowly upsteam.

Finally, around nightfall, you see where they have been heading. A collection of tents and campfires span the are - enough to house a fair number of men. Most of them appear asleep by the time you arrive, but you instinctively know that they wouldn’t up to anything honest or productive during daylight hours…

You strike the man hard in the fact, bringing him to his knees. He does not go all the way down though, and instead counters by swinging a dagger at you. Too stunned to fully aim, he misses horribly, leaving himself wide open.
He missed - your turn again.

Vox Clamantis
2010-02-12, 03:04 AM
Tamasine

The pale young ninja pads forward carefully to examine the animal. One way or another, he'd have to make sure it wasn't a threat. How he went about doing so would depend on whether it was a ninja dog from the village or some stray beast in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Tamasine pauses for a moment as he kneels down. It's just a wounded animal. All it wants is to be left alone. I hope I don't have to kill it.

Suddenly, inspiration strikes! Picking the dog up, he carries it into the secure room and sets it down carefully inside. After leaving - and closing the door behind him - he picks one of the taller trees nearby and uses the surface-walking technique taught to him by his mother to ascend to a crotch in the tree where he can use his belt to tie himself into place.

There he spends the night, confident that anyone attempting to open that door (for whatever reason) would get a mean surprise. And - it was more than just a coincidence - the wounded animal would have a warm place to hide and recover.

I'm assuming certain things that are required in order for this to be feasible: i.e. that it is not below freezing at night.

Automatically passes checks to use and convert the chakra for Kinobori no Jutsu.

The Blue Guard
2010-02-12, 05:26 AM
Yukanjishin

Hefting the sword up Yu let the flat of the blade rest on his shoulder. "Sucks to be you," he said in a conversational tone before he brought his knee crashing upward into the knife man's jaw.

OOC:
AC: 19

Attack!
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]; non-lethal

d3vil
2010-02-12, 05:26 AM
If, by sticking his hand into the water or by holding a piece of paper into the water, Manabu can discern the direction of the river, he heads towards its source.

If he really can't discern the direction, he takes a random direction since he doesn't know anything about the region anyways (and if he did, he doesn't know what to do with it, since his mission is unknown).

The-Mage-King
2010-02-12, 09:09 AM
Glancing back and forth between his foe and the bushes, Fuumaru barely restrains a groan.

'Not another thing...' He thinks, maintaining his guard.

Yeah...
I'll keep my guard, make the Perception check ([roll0]), and change the action I react to to 'If anything attacks me' instead of 'if the badger attacks me'... If I can't make the check while changing the readied action's conditions, then I'll change the conditions and draw a smoke bomb with my left hand.

Bowerbird
2010-02-12, 09:38 AM
Shiori
"I could have sworn I heard something.. Anyway," She suddenly breaks into another coughing fit, "Anyway, we sent a whole bunch of our strongest men out here to gather the herbs first, and none of them came back, I'm the village's last hope. I only hope I make it in.. ok that time I definitely heard something!" Shiori looks around frantically, and casts fright technique on Stabby, "If we get inside the hidey-hole we should be safe.. hopefully.." She doesn't sound too convinced, "With any luck it'll find some easy prey and then won't be hungry anymore, something weak and easy to catch, we should-" She suddenly falls to her knees in a particularly intense coughing fit, "We need to get to the hiding place.." She adds weakly.

Alrighty, what I'm trying to do here is convince them that
(a) I really don't have anything of value.
(b) I'm sick with some kind of plague, and possibly contagious so they won't want to do anything... untoward... with me, nor would they want to share an enclosed space with me.
(c) I don't really stand a chance, but they might if they get into the hidey-hole and wait it out, letting the monster kill me instead of them.

The fright technique genjutsu is to convince Stabby that he heard something too, and that he's being watched, and that something is _not right_

Soo, another 2 bluff checks, one for making my story believable, one to hide my genjutsu casting, and my genjutsu and chakra control checks.
Bluff1 [roll0]
Bluff2 [roll1]
Genjutsu [roll2] Unless I can take 10
Chakra Control [roll3] Unless I can take 10

I'll be trying to convert the 2 Chakra to 2 subdual, and lose 1 from my pool. so DC 13, perform DC for my Genjutsu is 12

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-12, 03:30 PM
Taki watches the group, waiting for one of the men to split off from the others, just enough so he could be out of sight. Then he would strike. For now though, he waited, gently circling the Camp so he could be in position when it happened.

loser0ll
2010-02-15, 04:58 PM
You easily spot two men in the bushes - filthy, armed and armored, but not in the gear or style of a professional soldier. They knew the badger had drawn attention to them, and are aware that their efforts at hiding have failed. They move out from the bushes, one waving a dagger and the other a short spear, apparantly hostile to both you and the badger.

The badger stops in it's slow retreat - it was willing to leave, but having these men foolishly approach pushes it over the edge - luckly, they are the one's approaching, so it lunges at the man with a dagger instead of you. It fails to connect with a claw swipe, and is in turn missed by the man with a spear - but a sharp stab from the dagger wounds it badly. This doesn't take it down - instead, it seems to drive it into an even more powerful frenzy!
Your turn again - then the badger - then the two men.

You sleep through the night without any major problems - but you are also caught in a sudden cold snap. It wouldn't be an issue in the cabin, and wouldn't have hit as hard on the ground, but up in a tree... you can feel your body stuggling against the abnormal weather through the night.
Take the appropriate costs, and recover for an 8-hour sleep ; but roll a Fortitude Save as well. You got lucky on the timing - I haven't had time on my Home computer lately, so I don't have access to a lot of what I normally work with, so no Random Encounter rolls this night for you. Also include your plans for today - you can attempt a new pair of Skill Checks to try and find your direction today.

---Shiori(Bowerbird)---
This time, the technique catches hold more firmly. It rips through Stabby's mind, leaving him visibly shaken - which in turn seems to sap some nerve from the silent man with him. The fear reinforces your lie, leaving them at least partially convinced that the situation might be as it seems. However, they -don't- seem convinced that you had any illness serious enough to scare them. They simply know nothing (at most!) about virulence and contamination - even if they were clever enough to piece together that it was more than a passing sickness treated by simple herbs that left no major physical marks, they would never both worrying about being infected. The life of a bandit is short and brutal ; not to mention the fact that you seem visibly well except the coughing, and were able to make it into the heart of the forest, despite being much smaller and (to their idea of things) weaker than them.
For fear or lust, or maybe both, Stabby nods as he watches the wilderness with wide eyes. "Maybe we should wait... inside." With that, he prods your forward with the tip of his knife - apparantly fear has taken away any pretense of friendlyness - trying for 3 things at once (lust, fear and deceit) seems to be just too much for his brain to keep track of.
Pay the appropriate costs, and you are sent as the first person through the door. If you have anything you want to try before being locked in with them, now would be the time.

With a good deal of time to sneak around the camp and investigate, you have some time to take account of their numbers - you would guess that there are between 30 and 50 men currently present, at least, with room for up to 60. You also come across a shallow ditch - one you recognize as a make-shift latrine. It has been left too long to fester and sit, instead of being covered over and replaced, so you're fairly certain it's currently in use - they don't seem disciplined enough to have gone to the trouble of digging a new one somewhere else. If you wanted to prepare an ambush, this would be your best bet on several levels. If you want to wait here for an ambush, describe the kind of cover you want, and the size of any group you are willing to attack. Also, roll a Fortitude save.

Your physical swing goes wide, and the man takes advantage, driving the dagger into your gut. He jerks it out, and you get the feeling that you -just barely- avoided some serious organ damage. He stays standing, his confidence boosted by the fact that he has a broken nose, but you have a knife-sized hole in your stomache.
Your turn - take 4 Lethal damage

---Manabu(D3vil)---
As you head upriver, you travel for quite a while before finding yourself approaching a make-shift camp. It's decently sized, but lacking any discipline what-so-ever. And the revolting smell of latrine trench that's been used for too long leaves you disgusted even from a fair distance.
You can enter the camp, investigate, try and set everything on fire... whatever you think is the best course of action.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-15, 05:04 PM
Takii got in a fair amount of cover, and waited for someone to come, biding his time. He kept his Greatsword out. If it came to it, he'd have to kill one, and silence the other almost instantly.

With that decided, he settled in to wait.

Takii finds the best cover within Charging distance.

No more then two, and preferably one.

[roll0] Fort Save

Vox Clamantis
2010-02-15, 05:26 PM
Tamasine

The morning comes none too soon for Tamasine. The wisdom of spending nights indoors is made painfully clear to him as the chill seeps into his muscles.

Come morning, he climbs down and stretches, trying to reorient himself. It's a new day, and at least he has the opportunity - although admittedly through no virtue of his own - to start from scratch.

Chose Profession and Gather Information last time, so now I'll go with Knowledge: Ninja Lore and Survival.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Also, the saving throw: [roll2]

Vox Clamantis
2010-02-15, 05:28 PM
Presumably I'll need this: [roll0]

Minus one direction since I already know one isn't the right way.

The Blue Guard
2010-02-15, 06:25 PM
Yukanjishin

Stepping backward Yu's free hand clutched at the knife sized hole in his stomach but his mind didn't concentrate on that, his mind was quite concentrated on the desire to kill this man. "Damn-it, I'll never get used to being stabbed. Damn, I guess I shouldn't be playing dumb when I could die." With a quick series of practiced movements he let four twelve and a half pound weight drop to the ground with a thump, his face plastered with a relieved look that quickly turned nasty. With quick and clean movements he stuck his left hand to the katana, lifted the blade up, and cut straight down in an arcing flash of steel.

OOC:
AC: 20
HP: 6/10 (1 stamina)
CP: 2/6
Ongoing effects: Speed Rank 1, Strength Rank 1

Move Action!
Drop the four weights holding back my speed and strength.
Sword Art: Downward Cut!
Perform: Automatic
Chakra Cost: 1
Quickened Convert: Automatic

Attack: [roll0]; + [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Again I'll throw an action point at him. I may just be wasting them but kicking ass in this fight should help contrast how he acts while around other people, which is to say he acts like the worst possible candidate to become a ninja. It also intimates about his relationship with his father behind closed doors.

Oh please, oh please! Let this work! *prays*

Edit: God, why hast thou forsaken me, you ****er!?

The-Mage-King
2010-02-17, 09:51 AM
A smirk appears on the face of the ninja as he reaches for a smoke bomb in one of his pouches.

Maintain readied action to attack anything that I threaten (standard), plus take out smoke bomb with my free hand (move, right?).

Bowerbird
2010-02-18, 01:51 AM
Crap, well so much for that plan. My lies seemed to work a little too well.. Time for one last-ditch effort at getting away from these guys. Shiori takes a few tentative steps forward, before coughing and falling to her hands and knees, activating Henge no Jutsu as she does, shaping herself into.. herself, with blood in her mouth. She continues coughing, coughing the blood up into her hands and onto the ground. "*coughcough* Oh no, the plague is entering the final state*cough* Why now? *coughcough*"

Bluff for lying [roll0]
Bluff for Jutsu-ing [roll1]
Ninjutsu check, unless I auto-succeed: [roll2]
Chakra Control Check [roll3] converting it to subdual

loser0ll
2010-02-18, 04:40 PM
The badger slashes and bites at the man with a spear - leaving bright trails of red where his blows land, nearly taking them man off of his feet. The tiny bundle of fury nearly kills, but the man manages to creep away, just barely, and starts to retreat, dragging a limp leg and trailing blood. The man with a knife screams in fear as he stabs at the badger, but is so shocked by it's abnormal level of violence that his blow doesn't come within a foot of the furred menace.
Your turn again. You have the smoke bomb out.
As you stand there waiting, you can't believe your bad luck. Not only did you go the wrong direction - you realized as the sun went down that you had been far off course - but you also let yourself get caught off guard.
As you stand there waiting, you realize that hope is a very funny word. It's a word reserved for those who aren't surrounded and didn't have dried blood on them from a wolf he had fought the day before.
As you stand there waiting, you realize the definition of irony. Irony is having the blood and scent of a wolf on you, that you carried into a room to spare it's life. And then running into the middle of it's pack. And realizing that the wolf is still trapped because of the door you left shut... leaving the pack with a member missing, and the scent and blood of that member on a strange human.
As you stand there waiting, you realize you don't have time to wait anymore. Before you can react or attack or defend yourself, they lunge. They bite at you, and while you react more quickly than a few of the pack, most of the pack hits you before you can move. The first wolf misses. The second nicks you, but only grazes flesh. But the third lunges like lightening, and his teeth sink in around your throat. You sink to the ground at the pack closes to finish you off.
Wow... I really... wow. I honestly didn't expect anyone to get hit by luck as bad as you had this round for a long time. Abnormally bad rolls for direction of travel, plus -three- botch rolls on Encounter probability. On top of that, the wolves all had unusually high rolls on their Stealth checks. And your spot for Initiative came up... low, to put it gently. And then their attack rolls... A confirmed Critical with max damage on both dice! I'm sorry man... I really didn't expect anyone to get that unlucky.

---Shiori(Bowerbird)---
Your lie works again... unfortunately for you. As your Jutsu takes effect, the man with a filthy spear frowns and gives a disappointed sigh - but just as you think this might leave you shape, you realize that you've made a mistake... These men intended two main things - to kill you, and to have fun before doing it. Unfortunately, you convinced them that it would be a bad idea to use you for fun without bothering to convince them that you should be left alive.
You realize this as the man with a spear suddenly attacks you before you can properly defend yourself. He lands a lucky blow, which puts half of it's legnth into your stomach. As you slump to the floor from the combination of exhaustion by the costs of your freely used Jutsu and the damage of the spear, you vaguely sense your head being tilted back. Too far gone to say or do anything, you only just notice the knife that slides along your throat.
Bad news... the first guy got lucky on his rolls, and you put you down for the count. The second followed through with a Coup De Grace.

After a short while of waiting, a man approaches. He's large and seems strong, but his only weapon is a sheathed dagger, and he seems to have left his armor behind entirely. Being close to his base camp seems to have relaxed him - it's unlikely that many people manage to find them, let alone come in undetected. He comes within range and is completely distracted with... personal matters...
Yeah, you get the idea. He's busy at the moment, and you're within Charge range.

The dagger wielding man smiles with incredible confidence as you miss - horribly. He stabs at you again, finding your side this time. Blood is seeping down your side from the two wounds, and you doubt you'll make it through another blow...
Take 3 damage and it's your turn.

The-Mage-King
2010-02-18, 05:38 PM
"HA!" The rookie yells with a smirk, attempting to catch the attention of his intended dupes. "I can't believe you guys are stupid enough to attack one of our badgers! They're extra scary around here!"
Actions: Sheath sword, change readied action to Kawarimi away if attacked. Free action: taunting the idiots in order to get them riled up.

The Blue Guard
2010-02-18, 08:14 PM
Yukanjishin

"The ****!?" Yu shouted at his torso was given even more ventilation. At this rate, he thought, I'll be able to pass an inspection to allow human habitation! "Oh **** this, and you," he shouted as he pulled a smoke bomb from his belt pouch and threw it down on the ground around his feet. With a flash of explosives concealing white smoke engulfed him and his direct surroundings.

OOC
"He who koops and runs away lives to koop another day!"
Because the Mario Bro. cartoon series is fantastic.

d3vil
2010-02-20, 04:52 AM
"According to that smell, its probably not another candidate's camp ... assuming I'm not the only one."

Cautiously, Manabu approaches the camp, investigating the site.

I guess i should roll:

Stealth [roll0]
Investigate [roll1]

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-21, 07:27 PM
Takii gripped his Greatsword, relaxed for a moment, and then burst from cover, rushing toward the man and swinging the Greatsword so it would hopefully make contact with the man's head.

Using Kenjutsu: Agari-uchi
[roll0] DC 12, not converting

[roll1] To hit
[roll2] To crit

[roll3] Damage
[roll4] Critical

loser0ll
2010-02-22, 01:34 PM
The badger tears into the remaining man, hiting him with multiple strikes. The bandit falls to the ground, bleeding badly - you doubt he’ll survive without trained medical care, judging by how much blood is pooling up from his wounds already. It looks back and forth between you and the already-retreating wounded man, still too furious to stop attacking but unsure on which intruder to go after - until he suddenly chases after the injured man who slipped out of your sight. Before you can do anything, a loud whistle blows, seeming to come from everywhere. The man who had already gone down rises suddenly. In a strangely familiar tone, he says to you “Student Fuumaru, follow me now.”

You bring your weapon down on the man, nearly knocking him to the ground. Surprisingly, he doesn’t seem to go out instantly - instead, he pulls steps back slightly and begins making the motions for… a Jutsu! You don’t recognize it, but you are aware of the effects - a high-pitched whistling sound fills the air, seeming to come from nowhere - or more specifically, from every direction at once. The man takes a stance you recognize in a ‘back of the mind’ sort of way - and speaks to you in a familiar voice. “Student Takii Unayo- lower your weapon and follow me.”

As you drop your guard to fish around for the smoke-bomb, you get something you haven’t managed to find for a while now - good luck. He misses badly on his swipe, leaving you standing. Before he can try again, you manage to hurl the smoke bomb to the ground, obscuring the area around you and him.
…Unfortunately, the glimpse of fortune doesn’t last. After spending so much time finding and throwing the smoke bomb, he has just enough time to make a wild swing into the smoke - which somehow finds you. You can see the blade moving for your chest - and just as it strikes you, bringing you to unconsciousness, you hear a loud whistling sound…
Blackness swallows you as you feel yourself being hoisted onto someone shoulder.

---Manabu(D3vil)---
As you approach the camp silently, a high-pitched whistling fills the air and you suddenly find yourself surrounded. Before you can react, one of them says to you “Student Manabu - come with us.” before walking into the camp, which now seems much more active than it had just minutes ago, before the whistling started. None seem to be preparing for combat though…

---Everyone, conscious or otherwise---
By now your wounds have been tended, and any who were unconscious have been pleasantly surprised to find themselves alive and conscious. As of now, you are alone in a room with only a handful of people roughly your age - in fact, all of them appear to be your fellow students. In fact, you -recognize- all of them to be your fellow students…
Evidently, you could be waiting a short time. It seems as though something unexpected has occurred.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-22, 04:17 PM
Takii stood off to one side. The Ninja would probably be recognizable to any of his fellow students. Short and small, carrrying a Bow and Sword that both looked far to large for someone of his size. He wasn't sure how well he had done, but he was willing to bet it was better then the saps they had carried in unconsious.

Still, I am kind of annoyed that I didn't knock that fellow out. That was one hell of a hit.

Takii supposed that was the way of it. He was willing to bet that this wasn't over. There were still to many people here. Besides, this hadn't been all that difficult. He'd yet to even come in the slightest bit of danger.

"That was fun."

Vox Clamantis
2010-02-22, 05:02 PM
Tamasine

The pale young nin opens his eyes and stares at the ceiling for a long moment. I failed. His chest rises and falls in a deep sigh.

Spinning gamely to his feet, he looks around. Familiar faces, his age-mates. Some of them still unconscious. Hopefully we'll be graded by the soundness of our decisions, not whether we got mauled by a wandering pack of wild animals. He can't help but wonder whether the others faced an identical trial, or whether conditions varied.

There would be time to find out later. Compare notes.

For the moment, Tamasine moves to set his back against a wall and closes his eyes, meditating on the flash of claws and fangs that had heralded the end of his test. Had there been anything he could have done to avoid it? One thought pierced all others: I'll do better next time.

The Blue Guard
2010-02-22, 06:47 PM
Yukanjishin

The clowning pinnacle who had recently been fighting and almost dying lay where he was placed hugging his sword like a teddy bear, it was thankfully sheathed. "Mrhhh..." Yu mumbled in his sleep as his foot twitched... almost as if he was chasing a rabbit, but that would be just too stupid even for this king of idiocy. Right?

Bowerbird
2010-02-22, 10:20 PM
Grr, stupid, should have used Kawarimi, not Henge! Stupid, stupid, stupid! It's a good thing I'm not dead.. Wait, how can I not be dead? Shiori gets up from where she is, and wanders about the room examining it, ignoring her fellow students.

Search: [roll0]

The-Mage-King
2010-02-23, 11:43 AM
Fuumaru

The unharmed and smirking boy grinned at his obviously injured classmates.

"So... How do you folks think you did?" He asks, glancing around the room at everyone.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-23, 03:23 PM
Takii smiled back at the boy, as he was in the same condition. If the other boy expected him to back down, he didn't know Takii well enough.

"I think... that you should mind your own business."

Taki wasn't about to give up anything to his potential competitors. Not yet, any ways. Knowledge was power. And even if he was pretty sure he was doing well, he wasn't going to give up any advantage.

The-Mage-King
2010-02-24, 10:01 AM
"I was just trying to take an interest in my possible teammates. I mean, don't you need trust to work with people?" The blue haired boy retorts, smirk still on his face as he walks towards the other.

"Besides, I think we might be the best of this litte group. Care to call a truce for if this turns into a hunt for something?" He whispers to Takii, eyeing the rest of the hopefuls.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-24, 10:23 AM
Takii smiled enigmatically at Fuumaru. He speaks his answer quietly as well. Scaring the rest of them was always fun.

"I could say yes, and then just hang you out to dry, but I don't feel like it. So let's just say I'll keep my counsel for now. If and when I judge it necessary, I'll make the decision to call it a truce."

Takii wasn't going to make any decision like that with insufficient information. Especially because Fuumaru might not be telling the truth. The other ninja might have spent the entire round in his little box, napping, for all Takii knew.

And besides, I can't give anyone reason to doubt me. I've got to be the best, or I won't be anyone.

The-Mage-King
2010-02-24, 10:28 AM
"Entirely reasonable." Fuumaru replys in the same quiet voice, the grin still on his face. "Let's just mess with the rest of them a little more, though. It's fun."

d3vil
2010-02-25, 03:33 AM
Manabu quickly occupied a corner for himself, puzzled by the recent happenings. Did he succeed? Did something happen and the test was interrupted?

At least he survived. In fact, he even went through the whole test unharmed. The needle doesn't count. Even if it was poisoned, it's still a needle.

"So .. anyone knows what we are waiting for? And why?"

The odd kid stands up and looks around the room, occassionaly talking to his fellow comrades to see what they experienced.

Search ... [roll0]
Investigate ... [roll1]

Maybe also Perception ... [roll2]

The-Mage-King
2010-02-25, 05:09 PM
"Hm..." Fuumaru said, stepping away from his potential ally.

"Presumably we're waiting for one of our teachers to show up and give us a new test or our grades. Or it could be something else..."

... I just thought of this. My character makes a Genjutsu check right now

[roll0]
If successful (and there's a Genjutsu) my Will save is...

[roll1]

Vox Clamantis
2010-02-25, 05:38 PM
Tamasine, seated against the wall, opens his eyes. "I doubt this is part of the test. With so many of us in one place, individual achievement would be impossible to measure." He glances at the still-motionless classmates. "More likely they're waiting for everyone to wake up."

The-Mage-King
2010-02-25, 05:43 PM
"Hm... Probable, but still..."

Bowerbird
2010-02-26, 12:53 AM
Once satisfied that whatever test she was in is now over, Shiori relaxes, and just sits in a corner, blankly observing the goings on of the other students with a vague air of disinterest.

d3vil
2010-02-26, 02:39 AM
"Individual achievement is neglectable, Tamasine. We're taking the Academy Exam, not a survival test for the ANBU. We're expected to function as a team, not as individuals. So I ask, what happened to all of you in the forrest?"

Manabu quickly recounts his findings and the abrupt cancellation of the exam.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-26, 03:40 AM
Takii listened to Manabu impassively. He did learn something from it, despite what the other boys estimation of the value of his experiences might be. If that was the same Whistle the man he had struck had set off...

...interesting.

The smile that crossed his face was altogether disquieting.

"I'm going to have to say no to that. We might be on a team after this. But until we are, we are in direct competition. So no offense, but I'll keep my own counsel. Thanks for the information though. You might have told me something extremely valuable."

Besides, if I revealed that, they'd gang up to take me out. I'm good, but I can't take all of them attempting to sabotage me at once. I'll just wait and until they find out on their own.

Vox Clamantis
2010-02-26, 04:14 AM
Tamasine shrugs. "I don't think we're competing so much as you think. Whoever is good enough, passes. The village would be thrilled if that were all of us."

He turns his blood-colored eyes towards Manabu. "I woke up in the a cave with an iron door. I found a trap and disabled it. Outside was a forest. I came upon a wounded wolf and put it to sleep with genjutsu, then carried it to the cave and locked it inside to make a trap." Tamasine frowns, hesitates, then continues. "The next morning I was traveling towards where I thought the bandit camp was when I was attacked by the rest of the pack of wolves. There were too many to fight. If it had been real, I would have died."

He looks at the ceiling for a long moment. "I don't know what I could have done differently."

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-26, 05:23 AM
Takii spoke up. He wasn't going to reveal his experiences, but he didn't see any harm in giving some instruction. He'd give away some of what he had done, but that could be useful in its own way.

Make them guess.

"Notice the two bandits following you, perhaps?"

Vox Clamantis
2010-02-26, 05:50 AM
Tamasine snorts without looking away from the ceiling. "Right, bandits waiting patiently while I sleep in the woods? I didn't realize criminals were so patient."

"No, if anyone was following me, they were proctors for the exam." He looks at Takii out of the corner of his eye. "And anyway, you're the one who thinks we're competing. Nobody here will believe anything you say, least of all me."

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-26, 06:22 AM
Takii grinned at him.

"Oh really? Then maybe I just better tell you the truth, so you believe that I'm lying?"

He shrugged after that. He really didn't much care. No skin off his back if he didn't learn.

"You are free to think what you want."

Vox Clamantis
2010-02-26, 07:45 AM
Tamasine shakes his head. "I'll believe you're lying either way. Whether you tell the truth or not matters only to you." He doesn't seem entirely comfortable with the way the conversation went, and lapses into silence.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-26, 08:06 AM
Takii smiled superiorly, and chuckled a bit at what he percieved as Tasmine's ignorance. He was just playing now. He had no intention of embarking on a program of misinformation. He was the best, and he'd prove it straight. He wouldn't give the other candidates information that would make him a target, but he wasn't going to sabotage them either.

"If you believe the truth is a lie, doesn't that make you twice a fool?"

Vox Clamantis
2010-02-26, 09:06 AM
Having thought the conversation was over, Tamasine glances at the others to see if all of this talking is irritating them. "Disbelieving a liar never made anyone a fool."

The-Mage-King
2010-02-26, 09:09 AM
Hearing Takii speak, Fuumaru smirked.

"So, you adopt the philosophy of 'Deception is a ninja's greatest tool', right?" He asked Takii.

"I take the philosophy of 'why not always tell outragous lies'? Then, when you've got to lie for real, people won't think you are."

"In my case, I found a pair of bandits. Then they were attacked by a badger, and I let them fight."

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-26, 09:40 AM
Takii shrugged at Fuumaru's question.

"Nope, I just like to lecture people. Especially people with the notion that letting someone define truth for you by speaking the opposite will somehow lead them any closer to understanding."

d3vil
2010-02-26, 12:58 PM
Seemingly annoyed by the quarrel, Manabu explains:

"You see ... that's exactly what I meant. What should we believe now? That Takii's always lieing, so we assume the opposite? He clearly stated that he'd be aware of this assumption, so we could instead trust him in the first place. On the other hand, if he wants to mislead us, he could also tell us ANYTHING just to mislead us. That brings us to the point of not believing anything he says, so ... he wouldn't talk with us at all. The logical consequnece would be, that we trust him, since he talks to us. That, or he's just stupid. And as for Fuumaru. Maybe Tamasine could put you in some Candy-Genjutsu?"

Shaking his head he continues:

"Or, we could TRY to work together. Think about it for a moment. We've already proven our skill in the ninja arts, otherwise we would have failed in class. And we also know that we will be placed in teams, if we succeed. The only thing that has not been sufficiently tested is our ability to work together.

In addition, we know that the forest is packed with dangerous enemies that took Tamasine out, and he is one of the best in class. In addition, no one except Takii has encountered the bandits, as far as we've heard, which either means, his comment about following us was a lie, or they know what they do.

With these facts, i conclude that this scenario was not designed to be handled alone or it was a recon mission. For the letter one it was poorly designed and not suited very well for a trial. This leaves teamwork as the only possible object. I suspect, that Tamasine's suprisingly fast demise combined with our inability to team up was the reason for this meeting.

Well ... or i could be totally wrong. But I'll take the chance and go into opposition."

The-Mage-King
2010-02-27, 10:58 AM
"As much as I dislike agreing with you, Uchiha, I must agree. Teamwork is most likely part of this test, and since we've got some time now, I think we should work out a plan." Fuumaru replies, looking more than slightly annoyed.

"Second, if any of you so much as think about a genjutsu like that..." At this, the hopeful genin's face darkens. "...I will get you for it."

Vox Clamantis
2010-02-27, 05:04 PM
Tamasine's face darkens at Takii's taunts, but he swallows his response. "Don't worry, Fuumaru. I wouldn't do that even if I knew how."

He looks around, taking a quick survey of those present. "On the offhand chance this is still part of the test, we should be ready. Perhaps we should form three-man teams, to watch each others' backs if something happens?"

Tackyhillbillu
2010-02-27, 05:18 PM
Takii smiled at Manabu, not convinced. After all, he was in the lead. All Tasmine had shown was that he could get beat up by a pack of Wolves. Manabu had shown he could get lost in the forest and get lucky. It made sense that it was time for them to start crying about teamwork.

As much as needling them has been fun, I suppose I should watch out. I could get put on a team with one of them.

"Well, first of all, Fuumaru mentioned the 'bandits' as well. So make of that what you will."

Takii shrugged. He didn't much care if they failed or succeeded, frankly, but hearing them natter on and on about this foolishness would annoy him.

"I really don't think planning to far ahead is a great idea, especially when they..."

Takii motioned in the air generally.

"...are probably listening."

Takii had no proof, but if he was in the shoes of the testers, he would be.

"The more you plan, the more they'll be prepared for what you plan to do."

Vox Clamantis
2010-02-27, 05:38 PM
Tamasine can't help but roll his eyes, but he tries not to be too obvious about it. "We're being tested by adults. For all we know they could be our parents. Either way, they don't need to eavesdrop to gain an advantage. Any one of them could take out the whole lot of us with one jutsu."

"And it's not like the benefits of having somebody watch your back disappear if the enemy knows it's happening."

The Blue Guard
2010-02-27, 09:17 PM
Yukanjishin

Rolling over onto his side Yu made a show of yawning and stretching. He hadn't managed to get much sleep with the chatter of his classmates ringing in his ears. Rubbing non-existent sleep from his eyes he propped himself up before talking. "Yo." He said to the more talkative of his classmates (e.g. Takii), "what's shaking?"

The-Mage-King
2010-02-28, 02:35 PM
"I agree with the part about the teamwork," Fuumaru says, ignoring the sword user's question. "But who goes where?"

"I suggest that we split up the people who made it through unharmed, to give us all a better survival chance, and we balance the teams out, should we split into them.""I, personally, am a ninjutsu user, so if I'm on a team it should also have a genjutsu user and someone who gets close and personal with his foes."

d3vil
2010-02-28, 04:10 PM
"Uh ... actually .. i was speaking .. more ... generally? I guess, 'wait here!' was a pretty clear order from our teachers? But, uh .. i guess ... uhm ... I don't go well with Fuumaru."

Manabu seems to be pretty surprised that his speech had any effect at all.

The-Mage-King
2010-03-01, 11:58 AM
"Though that may be true, I think that working with the few people who seem at all like they want to work with others is better than working with people who don't." Fuumaru replies, his smirk fading as he reached into one of his pockets with his left hand.

"So, Manabu, would you be willing to put aside our differences for a short time in order to make it through this test? And Tamasine, care to help?" He finished, taking a hard candy out of his pocket and eating it.

d3vil
2010-03-01, 01:22 PM
"Aside from your questionable attitude, we're both ninjutsu-specialists. Like you said, the teams should contain a multitude of abilities. But, I'd be the last to refuse an offer for help."

Manabu starts gnawing on his fingers, a familiar sign of impatience.

loser0ll
2010-03-01, 05:10 PM
While you go back and forth in your discussions, debates and disagreements, one of the adults return. "Quiet! You're all to be debriefed immediately - follow me to our destination and form up into Square-Attention-Formation."
As you march out, you take note of the number of students - you can't be sure, but it seems that there are only about two-dozen students being examined at this point.
The 'destination' is simply the middle of the "Bandit Camp" from what you can tell - it is large and clear of debris, equipment, or even so much as a fire-pit by this point. In fact, the more time passes, the more "Bandit" equipment seems to vanish from your eyes. On top of that, several of your fellow students seem to be a little slow on the uptake - many of them point out an "Instructor" who they had 'killed' less than an hour before. It seems that the examination had quite a few Genjutsu experts involved...
-----For Everyone-----
Anyone who wants to try and move into the proper Formation must succeed on one of three checks - roll all three at once in your next post please, I'll inform you of your results as to which, if any, checks succeeded, in the next update. Roll a Ninja Lore, Perception and Bluff check. Anyone with 5 Ranks or more gets a +2 Circumstance Bonus to the Perception and Bluff checks, regardless of whether or not your Ninja Lore check succeeds.

Additionally I want everyone to roll me a Will Save, and anyone with Ranks in Genjutsu -and- Ninjutsu can make a Check in both of those - additionally, anyone with Ranks in Ninja Lore can roll an extra one of those.
-----For Tackyhillbillu-----
You recognize the speaker - he appears more-or-less like the man you managed to hit late in the examination - the one who activated the Jutsu that seemed to set off an alarm informing everyone that the Examination was over.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-01, 05:29 PM
Ninja Lore- [roll0]
Perception [roll1]
Bluff- [roll2]

Will: [roll3]
Ninja Lore: [roll4]

Takii smiled at the adult, standing up following as directed. He did his best to fall into the formation. He was curious about several things, at the moment. However, he held his tongue. His questions could wait.

Vox Clamantis
2010-03-01, 09:27 PM
Tamasine climbs to his feet and steps into formation between Manabu and Fuumaru. Time to make my parents proud.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3] +5 from Action point = 19
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

And my string of terrible rolls continues. Honestly, sometimes I hate dice-based games. :smallannoyed:

Vox Clamantis
2010-03-01, 09:31 PM
I'll spend an action point to increase that Will save.

[roll0]

Come on, dice gods... huzzah!

Bowerbird
2010-03-01, 11:31 PM
Shiori stands from the corner in which she'd been sitting listening to the others argue. She falls into step as best she can and awaits the next part of this examination.

Ninja Lore:
Perception: [roll1d20+2
Bluff: [roll1d20+8[/roll]

Bowerbird
2010-03-01, 11:33 PM
Darn typos!
Ninja Lore: [roll0]
Bluff: [roll2]

d3vil
2010-03-02, 03:54 AM
Ninja Lore [roll0]
Perception [roll1]
Bluff [roll2]

Will Save [roll3] +6 from action point = 20

If Manabu's identifying a technique, add +2 to the ninjutsurolls
Ninjutsu #1 [roll4]
Ninjutsu #2 [roll5]

Genjutsu #1 [roll6]
Genjutsu #2 [roll7]

Manabu stands up and follows the croud, trying to stay closer to Tamasine and Fuumaru.

d3vil
2010-03-02, 03:57 AM
I'll use an action point for my will save, like vox clamantis.

Action Point .... [roll0]

The-Mage-King
2010-03-02, 02:30 PM
Alrighty, lets see...

Perception: [roll0]
Bluff: [roll1]
Ninjutsu: [roll2]
Genjutsu: [roll3]

Will Save: [roll4]

The-Mage-King
2010-03-02, 02:32 PM
...I burn an Action Point for Will save...
[roll0]

Fuumaru falls in step, his smirk vanishing quickly.

The-Mage-King
2010-03-02, 02:38 PM
Gyah! I forgot the second of Nin and Gen rolls.

And I forgot to mention my Ninjutsu rolls get +2 for identifying techniques...

Ninjutsu 2: [roll0]
Genjutsu 2: [roll1]

The Blue Guard
2010-03-02, 04:48 PM
Yukanjishin

Using his sword's sheath Yu pushed himself up and after a little bit of wobbling he followed everyone else in responding to the instructions. Walking with the other students he spotted one of the two men he fought and, with his best smile on, waved at him with his free hand. "Hey there!"

OOC
Ninja Lore: [roll0]
Bluff: [roll2]
Will: [roll3]

Ninja Lore: [roll4]

Whoop! My luck is back!

loser0ll
2010-03-02, 11:09 PM
---For Tackhillbillu, D3vil and TheBlueGuard---
You all manage to recall the appropriate formation, and move into position smoothly. The instructors don’t seem to be clearly please with you… but they also don’t seem to be clearly angered. Each of you notices a different Instructor watching you, and each scribbles something on a note-pad as they watch you.

---For The-Mage-King and Bowerbird---
Neither of you can recall what it is you should have learned by now… but fortunately, you manage to watch the other students and struggle into position. You each notice an “Instructor” watching you - while you doubt they are fooled by you “faking it“, they don’t call you out on it directly at least.

---For Vox Climantis---
You utterly fail at moving into position… and just barely notice an Instructor staring at you harshly. You feel a strong pressure in your mind that threats to drive you to your knees - but by an abnormal force of will you do manage to push it back. Oddly enough, the fading pressure seems to suddenly be replaced by an accurate knowledge of the proper formation to stand. The other students notice as you belatedly stagger into it.

---Spoiler for The-Mage-King---
Gain 100 EXP
---Spoiler for Bowerbird---
Gain 100 EXP.
---Spoiler for TheBlueGuard---
You notice nothing about the note-pad that your would-be stalker is holding. You also notice, awkwardly, that the Chuunin who stabbed you repeatedly appears to be an expert in disguise - it shames you that she could hide her gender so well from you, even if you aren’t a full Genin yet. She stares at you with raw hate. Gain 200 EXP - 100 base, and an extra 100 for being the first to have a higher-ranked Ninja hate you.
---Spoiler for D3vil---
You notice your name at the top of the pad of paper… but nothing else. Gain 150 EXP.
---Spoiler for Tackyhillbillu---
You notice that your name seems to be on one of the pads, and you catch enough of a glimpse to realize it’s some sort of… compilation of information about yourself. Gain 200 EXP.
---Spoiler for Vox Climantis---
No cookie for you! But you do get 50 EXP.

---For Everyone---
You are all standing in formation, more or less, as the apparent “Leader” steps into place. With all pretense of disguise dropped, you recognize that he wears badges and ranks which denote him to be a full-ranked Jounin, while those around him seem to primarily be ranked as either Genin or Chuunin level - all those who actually fought in combat against the students appear to be Chuunin, with the exception of the Head Instructor himself.

“Students - choose an opponent. The final stage of examination will begin soon.”

Nobody moves at all, until one student hesitantly ‘tags’ another - a student much smaller than himself, who you all recognize as one of the least capable of your class-mates. Evidently shock isn’t enough to bury opportunism.

---Spoiler for Everyone---
You can all list a general idea of the opponent you want - or the name of him/her, if you choose another PC - or just leave it up to random chance. Your choices, from the stregnth/weakness to the style of your opponent, will all affect your final grading. Choose wisely, young one. *end creepy voice*

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-02, 11:44 PM
Takii smiled at the Leader, and started snickering. He felt like bursting out laughing after the conversation his comrades had just had.

Team work!

Takii didn't care much about who he fought. He just stood there, and waited for someone to come up to him. He didn't care enough to find someone. He was the best, and whatever poor schmuck ended up getting sacrificed to prove it should walk into it willingly.

Can't say I'd be unhappy if Tasmine decided to try it however.

Vox Clamantis
2010-03-03, 05:31 AM
Stepping into formation and grimly forcing the instructor's mental influence out of his head, Tamasine listens to the Jounin carefully, considering.

If they're giving us a choice, the choice itself must be part of the test. They want to see whether we'll pick an opponent weaker than ourselves.

The pale youth take a long moment to weigh his options. If he picked someone who was obviously weak-minded, like Takii, they might think less of him for taking advantage of his family affinity for genjutsu. On the other hand, if he waited and made no choice at all, they might think he was overconfident. His only option was to deliberately pick an opponent who might pose a threat to him, truly test his strengths.

Although he knew it might not sit well with the other boy, his choice was clear. He had to demonstrate his skills, and that meant choosing an opponent whom he knew could provide a challenging battle.

"Manabu. Come on. Let the others fight like dogs. Ours will be a contest of skill." He reaches out and claps a friendly hand on Manabu's shoulder, both to reaffirm his choice and let him know that there will be no hard feelings either way.

Bowerbird
2010-03-03, 05:34 AM
Shiori raises an eyebrow at this announcement. Heh, fools, wasting all their time speculating about teamwork tactics. She looks around for an opponent, one of the weak-willed boys who follow after her hoping she'll notice them, that would do nicely, not one too weak though, lest she be judged weak herself. I could choose one of the ones who made my life miserable, but that can come later, when I'm not being watched and examined on my performance.

d3vil
2010-03-03, 05:53 AM
Manabu's mind was racing, trying to determine the best choice possible. His choice coincided with the chosen's friendly clap on his shoulder.

"Do you think, a battle between brethren would be appreciated? Nonetheless, I'm surprised. Feeling overconfident, today?"

Manabu had no intentions of giving Tamasine an easy fight. He pat his shoulder in a friendly gesture, but deep inside he yearned for an occasion to test his skills against a paragon of his clans power.

It remains to be seen if this battle will be taken personally.

Interestingly, he had chosen Tamasine too. Because, although he would be the worthiest oponent (maybe aside from Takii, but that would have been suicide), he's under the greatest pressure, being a complete failure so far.

Vox Clamantis
2010-03-03, 06:37 AM
Tamasine smiles, genuinely impressed that Manabu is so composed. If that confidence held, Manabu would turn out to be a good choice.

"My mother has a saying: 'there are races for dogs, and races for horses, but race a horse against a dog and you learn nothing about either.' If they're going to test me, I want a real test."

d3vil
2010-03-03, 07:26 AM
"I don't believe there's anything to be learned from pitting comrades against each other."

Manabu leads Tamasine out of the general crowd, checking his gear once they've found a quiet place.
Afterwards he carefully looks at Tamasine, trying to gather as much information as possible about his equipment.

"So, tell me ... do you approve of this slaughter?"

The-Mage-King
2010-03-03, 09:49 AM
Cracking his neck, Fuumaru turns toward Shiori.

"Care to fight?" He asks, smirk on his face and his eyes invisible beneath his mirrored glasses. "Because I've been wondering if your illusions were all what you've been saying..."

'With the new ability that's awakened in me, this should be good.' He thinks while waiting for a reply.

Vox Clamantis
2010-03-03, 07:22 PM
Tamasine waits for instructions before following Manabu. Aside from the typical belt pouch, he's carrying his cane - but everyone in the class knows by now that it conceals a blade.

"I'm sure they won't let anyone die. Think of this as a sparring match - just with real weapons."

And in our case, real jutsu.

Bowerbird
2010-03-04, 02:37 AM
Shiori looks to her classmate for the first time, Wonderful, I was hoping for an easier fight, but if I back down it will be seen as weakness, outwardly she merely raises an eyebrow at the offer, "Very well then, if you insist on testing yourself against me then I accept."

The-Mage-King
2010-03-04, 01:59 PM
"Good." Fuumaru replied, removing his umberella from his back and using it as a cane.

"I'd hate to have challenged a coward. Anything goes?" He asked, grinning as he started his plans.

'Hm... Maybe blinding her first... Followed by a bushin and maybe...'

The Blue Guard
2010-03-05, 03:03 PM
Yukanjishin

Listing out his goals in his head (be lazy, fail and embarrass his father) Yu knew he'd messed up the first one because he thought his life was in danger, he'd screwed up the second because he proved he wasn't made of fail, and at this point it'd take something beyond even his ability to swallow his pride to embarrass his father. "Oh, Buddha," he moaned as he flipped his head side to side watching the others. Gulping dryly he fixed his eyes on Takii because he seemed quite happy with himself. "Oi, oi, Takii!" Yu shouted to him before pointing to him and then back to himself because either he was smug for a reason and would beat him silly or he wasn't and Yu'd get to sandpaper that grin off his face. "What about it y'smug looking git?" He shifted his body to face him and even wave his sword about for emphasis.

OOC
The idea of the worst student and the best student fighting made me giggle so I figured it was worth a go.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-05, 05:34 PM
Takii shrugged. Tasmine appeared to have decided to go elsewhere, so he didn't see any harm in it.

"I don't have any objections."

Takii wasn't about to dispute that he looked smug. Smug and confident were the same thing. One was just justified. And there was only one way to prove that.

The Blue Guard
2010-03-07, 07:03 PM
Yukanjishin

"So..." Yu said as he walked closer to Takii to try and chat with his classmate. "How's it going?"

loser0ll
2010-03-10, 03:41 PM
---Everyone---
You are each taken, in pairs, apart from each other - you would guess about 100-200 feet away.(Anyone who wishes to can roll a Spot check to try and keep an eye on your enemy) You notice that people have been performing the same Jutsu repeatedly - from the looks of it, it appears to be a Jutsu for clearing the ground for signs of passage. Most likely used to avoid pursuit after a mission, it seems the instructors have a new and interesting use for it during this round of the examinations.

The next thing you notice is that, while you are taken in pairs, it is -not- with your chosen opponent. You hear the voice of the lead instructor echo through the area - likely Jutsu enhanced, much the same as the technique used for informing you that the competition was over.

"Students! You will each now turn in your equipment and goods to the Examiner with you. You will be given a pack with a single day of food and two Kunai. You will be allowed to keep -one- item of your choice.

Your mission is to defeat your chosen opponent - you may interact with your fellow students and opponent in any manner you choose, or not at all. The only goal is that your opponent much be captured, incapacitated or agree to surrender. There are small stockpiles of food and equipment hidden thoughout the camp, for those who choose to try and claim them, and the examiners each have a week of food on their persons.

There is no such thing as cheating in this exam. Victory by any means. BEGIN!"

Anyone with at Ranks in Sleight of Hand who chooses to try and hide extra items, list a number of items that you currently have that you want to hide equal to 1/2 your number of Ranks +1. Roll an equal number of Sleight of Hand checks. This is optional, and those without actual Ranks cannot attempt it.

You find yourself with a male examiner and a large, strong-looking female student nearby as the competition begins.
In your post, please include Initiative, your immediate actions, your overall long-term plans (hiding, stalking, etc...) and your chosen Item to keep with you.

You find yourself with a female examiner and a perceptive-looking male student nearby as the competition begins.
In your post, please include Initiative, your immediate actions, your overall long-term plans (hiding, stalking, etc...) and your chosen Item to keep with you.

---Manabu(D3vil)---
You find yourself with a female examiner and a slim, quick-looking male student nearby as the competition begins.

---Shiori(Bowerbird)---
You find yourself with a male examiner and a lean, tough-looking female student nearby as the competition begins.

You find yourself with a male examiner and a sharp-eyed, smart-looking female student nearby as the competition begins.

You find yourself with a male examiner and a very attractive, confident-looking female student nearby as the competition begins.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Manabu(D3vil) vs Tasamane(Vox Climantis)
Fuumaru(The Mage King) vs Shiori(Bowerbird)
Takii(Tackyhillbillu) vs Yukanjishin(The Blue Guard)

Vox Clamantis
2010-03-11, 12:55 AM
Tamasine

Tamasine surrenders his equipment without hesitation, handing over his sword-cane and pouch but merely tapping his battle vest to indicate that such was his choice. He accepts the kunai and puts one in his belt, keeping the other in hand.

At the word 'BEGIN!', Tamasine looks from the nearby examiner to the astute-looking student nearby. He turns to the boy and clears his throat. "Look, you heard what he said. Anything that helps us beat our opponents is legal. Let's join forces! We can watch each others' backs, and defeat our opponents with little risk to ourselves. What do you say?"

Trying a little Diplomancy.
[roll0]
and using an Action Point if the result from the above roll is less than 20.
[roll1]
Edit: Hell, using it anyway. 25 is a safer result.

[roll2] to keep track of Manabu.
[roll3] <- FINALLY a good roll.

What Tamasine does from there will depend upon the results of his Diplomancy and whether he kept track of his opponent.

The Blue Guard
2010-03-11, 09:19 AM
Yukanjishin

Piece by piece Yu's kit was taken from him without complaint, though he reached out to grab his sword quickly by it's covering with his left hand. "Nu-uh, I'm keeping this." He said with a glimmer of a serious attitude. He took the food and kunai and stored them away in his pockets. Looking across the one or two-hundred feet that separated him from Takii he cocked his head far to the right until a crick cracked.

With the shout that indicated the examination would begin again Yu was left undecided. With a deep breath he turned his head to the girl next to him. "Oi, oi!" He began. "Who'd you pick?"
OOC
Armour class: 18
Hit points: 18
Chakra pool: 9
Persistent effects: None

Initiative check: [roll0]
Perception check: [roll1]

Long-term plan: Bum around in Takii's general direction with or without Mrs. Smug Git of the Year.

The-Mage-King
2010-03-11, 10:09 AM
Reluctantly, Fuumaru hands over everything except for his armor and takes the kunai, before appraising the area he's in and noting what the other genin hopeful kept.

"Excuse me, sir, but may I please have my stuff back?" He asks, turning look at the procter while removing his glasses.

Checks
Perception to track my enemy: [roll0]
Diplomacy to convince the procter to give my stuff back: [roll1]

Action point spent if the Perception roll is below 20: [roll2]
Action Point spent for the Diplomacy check: [roll3]

General Strategy
Gather gear, possibly taking out a couple of other hopefuls and taking theirs, then hunting down target for an epic battle.

Bowerbird
2010-03-11, 09:26 PM
Shiori hands over her equipment, save for her vest, and accepts the equipment issued to her by the teacher. She nods to the student with her, "So who'd you pick?"

Keeping my armour.
Initiative: [roll0]
I'll likely try to win over the examiner and my fellow student with diplomacy, try and get what help I can out of them, extra gear, agreement to mutual aid, that sort of thing. Then comes the decision on what sort of spider to emulate, trap-building or hunter.. probably hunter, since I lack ranks in stealth at the moment. All this is dependant on how successful my diplomacy checks are.
Spot check to keep an eye on Fuumaru: [roll1] paying particular attention on what item he keeps, and what he does.
Diplomacy Check for teacher: [roll2] *bats eyelashes*
Diplomacy check for comrade: [roll3]

androgial
2010-03-12, 02:44 PM
sorry wrong thread.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-12, 02:58 PM
Takii just followed directions amicably, turning over all of his items with the exception of the Greatsword. He didn't turn over his Battle Vest, hoping that the fact that it was concealed beneath his clothes would keep it from being noticed. If asked, however, he would do it.

"Make sure I get those back, alright?"

Takii followed the instructor, not bothering to try to keep an eye on Yukanishin. He had a different plan for this.

When they stopped moving, Takii looked over at the other student.

"Well, we've got options. Either we can work together, or we can split up, no hard feelings. Or, you could try and neutralize me from the competition, I suppose. But that would hardly be a good idea. What's your pick?"

Takii's longterm plan is remarkably similar to last time. Hide some place, wait for Yuka, beat the crap out of him with the Greatsword. Use Kakureimino no Jutsu to boost his Hide.

d3vil
2010-03-16, 03:55 PM
After handing over everything of his equipment except his wakizashi, Manabu accepts the kunais and the ration.

He then proceeds to Make 5 Bunshins and directs them to run in all directions.

His Tactics are:
Seeking a hideout where he has (almost) 360° view, is moderately hidden and he waits for Tamasine to show up. Since Tamasine should be running around, he expects to last longer with his ration, winning by atrition.

Perception to keep track of Tamasine:
[roll0]
Initiative:
[roll1]
Finding a hideout with search:
[roll2]
Hiding in the hideout:
[roll3] + 6 from the Action Point = [17]
Adding an Action Point to increase stealth check:
(1d6)[6], see the ooc thread, had a little dilemma with that one.

loser0ll
2010-03-23, 04:46 AM

The instructor stares at you harshly for a moment. It isn’t clear whether he’ll laugh, strike you, or just ignore you - until finally, he blinks, then throws your items on the ground. He points down at the pile, still silent, and then raises two fingers. His meaning is clear - he’ll allow you to take two additional items.

You manage to keep track of your target - she seems to be discussing something with the student located near her, and he seems to be hanging quite strongly onto her every word. Speaking of fellow students, yours seems to have stomped off while you were negotiating with your instructor. Before you can decide what to do, you see

Before you can decide what to do next, you see the student Manubu run into the center of the camp… actually, you see another of him somewhere less than 100 feet away… very odd.

Your efforts at dealing with your fellow student diplomatically seem to work incredibly well - he nods vigourously, both because of your enthusiastic offer, and his own awareness that he isn’t likely as physically tough as his opponent. “That’s a great idea! I can track them down - I’m very good at it! We could even go after your opponent first, since he just ran into the center of the camp…”

As he points this out, you realize that he’s correct - the opponent you had horribly fail to keep an eye on seems to have run directly back into the middle of the camp, and is now standing there silently…

---Manabu(D3vil)---

Your illusions scatter, an act which would surely confuse most of your enemies - on top of which, you find such an excellent hiding place that you feel doubly secure that nobody is likely to find you without a careful and deliberate search. You’ve managed to do something every Ninja admires - you’ve claimed the home-field advantage in a strange area.

While you search around, your fellow student runs off, evidently confident enough in his own goals not to pursue your help without you offering it immediately. You also get the feeling that some clever opponent might get lucky - your clones have a maximum distance of 100 feet from you, so anyone who happened to find a few might be able to track your general location by them - of course, given your ambush position, that might hardly be a negative thing…

Gain a +6 to your Hide Check because of the exceptional hiding place. Also, if you launch an ambush, give yourself a +2 Circumstance bonus to your Initiative roll.

---Shiori(Bowerbird)---

You evidently sway the teacher just slightly - he draws out a smoke-bomb and an extra ration pill, and tosses both to you silently. Your… special charms… evidently aided your attempt enough to convince him that seeing you win would be pleasant.

With your fellow student, you have much, much greater success. He smiles from your attention, evidently besotted with you - although from the looks of it, intelligence and charm are not his strong-points, and he -is- still a teenage boy… for whatever reason, you get the feeling that he’s basically putty in your hands at the moment.

On a less happy note, you fail to keep track of your opponent… although Manabu does run out into your field of vision, stopping in the middle of the false bandit-camp.

Your fellow student seems almost insulted by your statements - insulted enough that he actually draws out one of the Kunai that he had been allows to keep and waves it in your direction angrily. “Who do you think you are, big-shot? I’ll show you all about a ‘good idea’ you cocky ****!” Luckily, his rage keeps him from acting as quickly as he should, and you have the first chance to act, should you choose to do so…

-Hiding
-No Diplomacy attempt, but threatens/talks with fellow student, turns bad

I made a roll to see how what you said went over - unfortunately, the luck on this turned out to be much, much worse than your luck against the boss earlier… Especially since the secondary roll I made to see if he was frightened enough of you/your reputation didn‘t turn out much luckier.

I rolled Initiative, and you won - post your action, please.

You notice three important things…

First, you not only manage to keep track of your opponent, but you also notice some sort of dispute rising between him and the student located with him - one which has already led to the unknown student drawing a Kunai.

Second, -two- Manabu’s run into your field of vision. Yes… two of him.

Finally, the attractive young applicant with you lays a hand on your shoulder, evidently wanting to have a friendly talk.

So many things to do, but only time to do one at the moment… which to pursue?
If you want to join in the anti-Takii combat, you'll need to spend a round running over there before you can actively take part. If you want to talk with the student with you, no rolls are needed, but it'll eat up a few rounds hearing her out and negotiating what you do first. If you want to investigate the twin-Manabu's, give whatever rolls you choose to attempt regarding them.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-23, 07:13 AM
Takii sighed. He hadn't wanted to do it that way. If Yuka found him while he was dealing with this idiot, things could get nasty. But what could you do?

"Wrong choice."

Takii smiled faintly, and then charged into his opponent, done talking. He unsheated the Greatsword in one smooth movement during the charge, and delivered a massive, upward arcing cut toward the other Ninja.

[roll0] To Hit
[roll1] To Crit

[roll2] Damage
[roll3] Critical

Using Kenjutsu: Agari-Uchi, converting Chakra Cost. Auto Success.

The-Mage-King
2010-03-23, 09:04 AM
"Why thank you, sir." Fuumaru says, reaching down to grab his second belt pouch and his umbrella. "This pouch, and everything in it, counts as one item, right?"

Another Diplomacy check, to get the procter to let me take my second belt pouch.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

d3vil
2010-03-24, 04:34 AM
Manabu carefully monitors his surroundings from his hideout, specifically focusing on his bunshin in the middle of the camp, since that one will most likely get attention. He then waits, only acting when his hideout would be in danger of being found or an opportunity to defeat his foe arises.

since my hiding place is so good, do i have 360° vision? How much distance do i have to the rest of the students? is there a lot of chaos at the moment? Can i spot Tamasine?

Bowerbird
2010-03-24, 05:21 AM
Shiori

"So big boy, would you like to help me take down my opponent? I'll make it worth your while." Shiori says, smiling suggestively to her besotted fellow student. As she speaks she gratefully takes the extra items from her instructor, "Thank you very much, sir."

Fools.

Vox Clamantis
2010-03-25, 03:20 AM
Tamasine

Tamasine shakes his head in wonderment, but waves his companion over behind a building.

Let's see what he does. I don't want to rush into anything. If he's made a pact like ours, he could be using himself as bait. Did you see where your opponent went?"

Out of sight behind the building, Tamasine will take the opportunity to Henge into the form of the Head instructor, automatically passing the check to convert.

[roll0], augmented by an action point:
[roll1]

He will then watch to see what Manabu does, and what his observant companion has to say about where his opponent went.

The Blue Guard
2010-03-25, 09:45 PM
Yukanjishin

Yu turned his head to the girl. "Hey," he said in a jovial tone. "What've you got to say?"

loser0ll
2010-04-03, 01:46 PM
The instructor narrows his eyes, but seems willing to let you have your items. “Don’t get greedy kid. Take the pouch and get lost before I get annoyed with you.”
You can still see the student Manabu, standing around pointlessly in the center of the camp - he’s currently distracted with picking his nose. Meanwhile, the large student who ran off earlier can still be heard stomping around in the woods close-by. Evidently, lots of muscles and no sense of direction equal a strong man running around in circles through the woods.

”Actually… yes. Yes I do see my guy - he’s facing off against that guy, Takii what‘s-is-name. He just went down… hard. He‘s good at Ninjutsu, but that guy Takii nailed him before he could even fire off a single technique. I think… I think I just won?”
While your new team-mate stands there stunned, you almost amaze yourself with the disguise results. Even though it‘s a rush-job, it‘s very nice overall. As for Manabu, you notice that he‘s still standing there obliviously… now digging in his ear with an irritated expression on his face, like he‘s angry at the wax chunk that‘s stuck inside of it.

---Manabu(D3vil)---

As you wait in your near-perfect ambush spot, you notice two things that seem strange. First, not one of your jutsu-created clones seem to have been destroyed or even approached. Two, a large, tired sounding student is running around, and has just stumbled very close by in his furious stampede. While he doesn’t seem to have spotted you, he‘s not your opponent… but he does have supplies, and he is tired. Overall, it‘s your move…
OOC : If you decide to attack him, you have a Full Round to act in at the start as a surprise round. Also include Initiative, and what you intend to do if you act first on the normal round of combat. If you don‘t want to fight him… well, it‘s a really good hiding place, so he may not find you. Oh, and yes, full line of view, except for what's blocked by the occasional tree - it is a forest, after all.

---Shiori(Bowerbird)---

You can -almost- see a tiny trickle of blood coming out of the students nose as you turn the charm into over-drive. While anyone with a sense of charm, wit, or even enough perception to realize that your lines would have fit into a bad theater play, would have instantly seen that they were being manipulated... a teen boy with a crush would not. He nods eagerly, indicating a willingness to do whatever you‘d like… although since speaking while being charmed is out of his ability range, you might wonder just how much help he‘ll be. You still have to -find- your opponent in order to send your new-found meat shield at him, after all.

Your opponent quickly goes down, your very first strike cutting through his defenses instantly - it doesn’t seem like he’ll be getting back up. The examiner with you quickly works on the student, binding his wounds to prevent bleeding to death, but otherwise seems unconcerned with the situation at hand. From what you can see, this student had the same standard equipment everyone else had, plus an exploding chakra tag tucked into his belt - at least that‘s what has been clearly visible.

Your classmate seems almost taken back by how calm and off-handedly your reply seemed. You remember her - she‘s one of the students who always seemed involved in all the drama, and always seemed to be connected to anything important going on - one of the true Socialites of your class. Evidently, not having your fawn over her… is leaving her confused and out of her element. “Well… I mean… don‘t you want to work together with me?”

The-Mage-King
2010-04-03, 02:28 PM
Popping a quick salute, Fuumaru puts his pouch on his side before he turns and makes for the nearest tree, forming the hand signs to climb it as he nears it.

Actions: Attach pouch, move towards nearest tree. If the tree is less than 60 feet away, next turn I'll use Kinobori and proceed up as far as I can.

HP: 14
Chakra pool (Pre-Kinobori): 11.
AC: 14

Vox Clamantis
2010-04-03, 04:36 PM
Tamasine nods. Far from glum at the prospect of losing a partner, he finds that it's presented a beautiful opportunity!

(No peeking!)
Tamasine quickly outlines his plan.

"I have an idea, and it doesn't require you to risk yourself at all. All you have to do is come to me when I call you. Ok?" He also asks his companion his full name.

Tamasine then walks out into the open, trusting in his disguise. It'll be trickier to pass off his voice as that of the instructor, but he's heard the man's voice and is moderately confident that he can pull it off. Forcing his voice lower, he calls out to his companion by name. [name], congratulations. Although you did not face your opponent directly, he is defeated. You win by default. Congratulations."

After his companion has come out to stand next to him, he calls out again. "Uchiha Manabu! Your opponent has also been defeated. You win by default. Congratulations."

[roll0]
plus Action point
[roll1]

Bowerbird
2010-04-03, 09:41 PM
"Good, now snap out of it! Remember, if you're not useful, no reward. I need a big strong ninja, not a drooling kid." She admonishes him, Well he made it this far.. I assume he has some sort of talent.. "Now, the target is Fuumaru..." Shiori does her best to describe her opponent to her new "ally". "We need to find him and take him down, preferably before he takes me down, I get taken down, no reward." Now, where did he go.

Perception [roll0]

Looking around for Fuumaru, also are there any other students around that I could maybe recruit, or use my gather info to see if they saw him?

If I don't see any sign of Fuumaru, and can't ask students for help, I'll see if I can tame a couple of spiders that I can maybe use to help. Not by finding him, but I can maybe get the poisonous ones to bite him if we actually do find him.

The Blue Guard
2010-04-07, 01:46 AM
Turning his head back to Takii off in the distance he smiled at him with an eager grin. I've got nothing to lose by having a proper go at him, he reasoned. Blinking once he realized he was being talked to, but even with such a well to do young girl next to him all he could really think about was fighting Takii. "If you want." He said off-hand turning his head around, but keeping an eye on Takii. "So, who's your target?" Yu continued, occasionally looking back over the clearing. He can stew a little bit in the forest, he thought.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-04-07, 02:01 AM
Takii takes the Exploding Chakra tag, seeing no point in leaving it where it was. Then with a wave to his instructor (and anyone else that might be watching) Takii slipped off to hide in the Wilderness.

Using Kakureimino no Jutsu to hide, paying Chakra Cost

[roll0]

d3vil
2010-04-11, 04:08 PM
After careful consideration, Manabu decides not to spoil his hideout and, after making sure that the imminent observer has passed on, focuses again on the large crowd, trying to spot Tamasine.

If possible:
Perception: [roll0]
Adding an Action Point: [roll1]

loser0ll
2010-04-13, 03:49 PM
You find yourself about 50 feet off the ground, perched on a safely think branch as a scene starts to unfold nearby - Takii seems to be getting into (and quickly winning) premature fights. Meanwhile, you can hear the voice of the Head Examiner announcing a pair of winners already - someone named “Desuno“ and that Manabu what‘s-his-face.

You find yourself standing in the clearing in your well-made disguise, after taking some time to prepare it, and can‘t help but be impressed by your own success - the effort is to successful, even your companion (Jokai Desuno) isn‘t quite sure it‘s not real…

---Manabu(D3vil)---

You can‘t seem to find your opponent anywhere at all - although you can‘t seem to find about half of the competitors, for that matter ; you all started fairly spread apart, and with so much distance, it‘s just not possible for anyone under a Junin level to try and keep track of everything, unless they were -badly- under-rated. While you‘re searching from your hiding spot, you do happen to notice a shout from a good way to the side, as Takii takes down someone - you can‘t recall his name just now - who had chosen to attack him. It seems that some people are willing to fight -anyone- whether it‘s their actual enemy or not…
Actually, it seems that more than one person is willing to do this - from what you can hear, not one, but two people are not winners by default - one of them you it seems!

---Shiori(Bowerbird)---

Your luck at recruiting help doesn‘t seem to last into the “finding more recruits“ or even “finding your enemy“ phase of whatever plan you may have - you barely manage to locate the instructor still watching you, or the infatuated student trying to gain your favor through the skilled application of lackey-hood.

You do however notice some sort of commotion in the center of the camp - evidently, two victors are already being announced!

You slip off into the woods, evidently unnoticed - everyone seems to be fairly distracted by whatever is going on in the center of camp. It seems obvious to you now that the fellow you knocked out must be someone’s opponent - and evidently, two students have already won by virtue of having opponents stupid enough to get themselves knocked out.

She still seems shocked at your attitude towards her. Evidently, she’s used to less rudeness, more mindless adoration - and it’s throwing her off her usual confidence. But she does rally a little bit when you agree to work with her. “Well… I tried to get an easy one, but I ended up stuck with that hulking monster - the one obsessed with his muscles, whatever his name is. I know I can beat him if I surprise him, and you hold him off for a minute or two while I wear him down… what do you sa - hey, what’s going on up there? Did somebody win already?”

Unfortunately, with the ample cover and many distractions, Takii manages to slip off into the woods despite your efforts at watching him… although he can‘t have gone too far.

---To Everyone---
A series of shouts draw your attention as Takii strikes down a student, who you don’t recall being his opponent…
After this, the Head Instructor appears, shouting for attention in a loud, commanding voice. He declares the following… “Applicant Desuno - your opponent has been defeated by another ; while you did not engage him directly, this leaves you the victor by default. Step forward to be lead to the final grading. Applicant Manabu - your opponent has also been defeated. Step forward to be lead to the final grading.”
A perceptive but slightly nervous looking young man comes forward - evidently the applicant Jokai Desuno - and looks around, seeming surprised at the turn of events.

The Blue Guard
2010-04-14, 01:41 AM
"Yeah." Yu mumbled irritably as he lost sight of Takii. "Takii just beat the crap out of some kid, and I think somebody else found their target very, very quickly." Turning his full attention to the girl he grinned sheepishly as he remembered he hadn't introduced himself. "Oh, I'm Yukanjishin Fukuda, but I'd prefer it if you just called me Yu. Sorry I forgot to introduce myself, I'm a little distracted. What's your name?"

d3vil
2010-04-14, 03:22 AM
After careful consideration, Manabu decides to play it save. He rests for five Minutes before leaving his hideout, regaining chakra.

If nothing significant happens during his rest he does the following:

Manabu creates one Bunshin with Bunshin no Jutsu (auto success), performs Henge no Jutsu (auto success) on himself and his clone, transforming himself into a generic student with a bandana over his mouth, so that his voice becomes not so easily to discern and his clone into a wounded and gagged version of himself.
He then approaches the Head Instructor with his kunai pointed toward the clones back, readying a Goukakyuu no Jutsu if the Head Instructor turns out to be an impostor.

The-Mage-King
2010-04-14, 07:06 AM
Sitting in his tree, Fuumaru grins as he watches the events around him, before turing his thoughts to hunting down his foe.

Deciding that what Manabu had done must be a simple Bunshin, he grins and begins to form the hand signs to make one to go and annoy Shiori until she decided to try and find him for real.

Actions: Perception check to see if I can spot my foe [roll0], and then preform Bunshin no Jutsu, making one clone and sending it to find Shiori and lure her here.

HP: 14
CP (pre-Bunshin): 10
AC: 14

Vox Clamantis
2010-04-15, 05:54 PM
Unflappable, Tamasine trusts to his ally to hold up his end of the bargain.

Tamasine takes some actions so deviously sneaky that they cannot even be written about.