PDA

View Full Version : Family Guy -- Lois' Death

Temotei
2010-01-25, 11:49 PM
In the episode where Stewie follows himself into the future, shouldn't Lois be dead?

I just watched an episode where he said, "Actually, the first act of violence I committed was leaving that time bomb in your uterus...happy fiftieth birthday, Lois."

Was he lying, did the time bomb get disarmed...or was it just a joke that was left out of the time-travel episode for humor reasons of having Lois still alive?

Fawkes
2010-01-25, 11:50 PM
Family Guy is an extremely loose canon.

Zeta Kai
2010-01-25, 11:52 PM
Family Guy is an extremely loose canon.

Congrats. You just won a thread; in a record number of moves, no less.

doliest
2010-01-26, 12:00 AM
Family guy episodes barely keep their story straight; you expect the show too keep it's continuity in tact?

Temotei
2010-01-26, 12:02 AM
True that. :smallbiggrin:

I was just thinking that when I saw the show though. :smalltongue:

Lord of Rapture
2010-01-26, 03:17 AM
True that. :smallbiggrin:

I was just thinking that when I saw the show though. :smalltongue:

Wait. You were thinking on a Family Guy episode?

UR DOING IT WRNG

Temotei
2010-01-26, 03:19 AM
Wait. You were thinking on a Family Guy episode?

UR DOING IT WRNG

Kind of funny how I enjoy watching that show and I'm a thinker. :smallcool:

Wreckingrocc
2010-01-26, 03:25 AM
Some of the jokes in that brilliant, brilliant show are missed if you aren't thinking about them. The humor is so slapstick and rapid-fire that you're bound to miss a lot if you're not giving it full attentiveness.

Optimystik
2010-01-26, 07:53 AM
Some of the jokes in that brilliant, brilliant show are missed if you aren't thinking about them. The humor is so slapstick and rapid-fire that you're bound to miss a lot if you're not giving it full attentiveness.

You think that's bad; remember that time we rode those manatees to see that Green Day concert in Madagascar?

*cutaway*

Dr.Epic
2010-01-26, 02:29 PM
In the episode where Stewie follows himself into the future, shouldn't Lois be dead?

I just watched an episode where he said, "Actually, the first act of violence I committed was leaving that time bomb in your uterus...happy fiftieth birthday, Lois."

Was he lying, did the time bomb get disarmed...or was it just a joke that was left out of the time-travel episode for humor reasons of having Lois still alive?

See there's you're mistake: taking anything Family Guy says seriously. Plot to Seth Macfarlane is just an excuse to cut away to an interchangeable joke.

T-O-E
2010-01-26, 03:47 PM
You think that's bad; remember that time we rode those manatees to see that Green Day concert in Madagascar?

*cutaway*

I love when Family Guy references something I've heard of but then makes it edgy, or vice versa. This is good because 80% of the gags are like this.

Or, when like, a duck comes out of nowhere!!!!!

Seth is centuries ahead of his time, and one day he will be recognised for the genius that he is.

chiasaur11
2010-01-26, 03:57 PM
I love when Family Guy references something I've heard of but then makes it edgy, or vice versa. This is good because 80% of the gags are like this.

Or, when like, a duck comes out of nowhere!!!!!

Seth is centuries ahead of his time, and one day he will be recognised for the genius that he is.

Yes, the future world of Idiocracy venerates him as a visionary god.

Man, Idiocracy was a pretty alright movie.

Nonah_Me
2010-01-26, 05:06 PM
I didn't really mind Idiocracy while I was watching it, but since then I've begun to hate it, for this reason (http://www.xkcd.com/603/).

Edit: I was too busy being smug and flexing newfound linking skills to comment on Family Guy.

I like watching Family Guy. I don't like discussing Family Guy, because I often agree with people who don't like it. Yet I still watch it when it comes on.

Haven
2010-01-26, 05:17 PM
I didn't really mind Idiocracy while I was watching it, but since then I've begun to hate it, for this reason (http://www.xkcd.com/603/).

...is that comic supposed to be a parody of strawmen, or did he just execute his point that poorly? I'm surprised the guy with the hat didn't say "lol itrolu!"

Nonah_Me
2010-01-26, 05:21 PM
I don't really understand where the Strawman Fallacy comes into play in the comic, but my grasp of argumentative logic is spoty at best.

Haven
2010-01-26, 05:31 PM
I don't really understand where the Strawman Fallacy comes into play in the comic, but my grasp of argumentative logic is spoty at best.

All the other guy says is "Idiocracy is true" and "Depressing, huh?" And from that, the hatted guy leaps to "You're blinded with zealotry and assume you're superior!" That's the strawman--the hatted guy is exaggerating the words of the person he's talking to (through conversational entrapment, no less).

And then the other guy leaps from those laconic statements to eugenics, which is not exactly a fair representation of the demographic of people who agree with Idiocracy, IMO.

(I know "strawman lol" gets invoked a lot in internet debates, but I think that's a fairly outstanding example.)

Nonah_Me
2010-01-26, 05:53 PM
Ah. It's likely a pardoy then. Randal Munroe is famous for parody.

H. Zee
2010-01-26, 05:59 PM
Randall Munroe and Seth Macfarlane are about as witty and intelligent as each other.

chiasaur11
2010-01-26, 06:01 PM
Randall Munroe and Seth Macfarlane are about as witty and intelligent as each other.

Possibly. A disappointment MacFarlane's work never shows any evidence of it.

Nonah_Me
2010-01-26, 06:37 PM
I suppose it says something about me that I like both? Maybe not.

Mando Knight
2010-01-26, 07:01 PM
Possibly. A disappointment MacFarlane's work never shows any evidence of it.

I wouldn't say never... he has his moments, though he used at least most of them up already.

Haven
2010-01-26, 07:13 PM
Ah. It's likely a pardoy then. Randal Munroe is famous for parody.

If it was a parody, the last panel would have been the guy pointing out that he never said any of that, or at least contained some acknowledgement of the hypocrisy of hat-guy complaining about "the burden of superiority".

Nonah_Me
2010-01-26, 08:04 PM
If it was a parody, the last panel would have been the guy pointing out that he never said any of that, or at least contained some acknowledgement of the hypocrisy of hat-guy complaining about "the burden of superiority".

Are you sure you read it right?

Here's how I read it:

Panel 1: Statement of opinion from non hat-guy, followed by an affirmation from hat guy that he agrees with non-hat's premise.
Panel 2: A continuation of panel 1, where hat-guy offers further affirmation of non-hat's premise.
Panel 3: Then hat-guy proceeds to knock down the strawman he created (yay wikipedia and an hour or so refreshing myself on a subject that I did poorly in during school). However, I'm not sure the strawman applies, because the original premise holder (non-hat guy) bought into the straw, as it were.
Panel 4: A scathing reversal of hat-guy's position, indicating that he only agreed with non-hat's premise to call him stupid.
Panel 5: Continuation
Panel 6: A last attempt by non-hat guy to make his point, because if Idiocracy is true then the world is doomed to be stupid, therefore his interrupted idea was to use eugenics to stop the social decline. However, hat-guy stopped him and included a new premise that would make Idiocracy true: That stupid people still have enough sense not to breed with the self-righteous.

I don't understand where the hypocrisy comes into it. Also, does strawman fallacy apply, if the person you're arguing against affirms the position of the strawman, in essence taking it as one's own?

snoopy13a
2010-01-26, 08:27 PM

That's like saying Bart Simpson should have gone to hell after the Yankees won the pennant in 1996.

Lord Seth
2010-01-26, 08:43 PM
If you really need an explanation for the lack of continuity, just assume that Stewie didn't set the time bomb right and as a result it never went off.

chiasaur11
2010-01-26, 08:55 PM
That's like saying Bart Simpson should have gone to hell after the Yankees won the pennant in 1996.

Well, he obviously couldn't, because then he'd never become the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.

Optimystik
2010-01-26, 09:00 PM
If you really need an explanation for the lack of continuity, just assume that Stewie didn't set the time bomb right and as a result it never went off.

What the devil? Blast!!

Moff Chumley
2010-01-26, 09:01 PM
Silly argument about xkcd is silly.

Geddoe
2010-01-26, 09:43 PM
What bothered me was Lois ragging on Brian about dating Jillian, when Lois is married to Peter, who doesn't even have looks going for him. A weird pot/kettle situation there.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-26, 09:58 PM
What bothered me was Lois ragging on Brian about dating Jillian, when Lois is married to Peter, who doesn't even have looks going for him. A weird pot/kettle situation there.

I point out again that nothing in Family Guy in terms of plot, characterization, logical conclusions, and other basic writing elements makes sense. It's just a way for Seth Macfarlane to say "This is (insert comparative adjective) than (insert celebrity, historical figure, or fictional character) (insert situation)."

Temotei
2010-01-26, 11:43 PM

I think Peter is smarter than Jillian. :smallcool:

Anyway, Brian could go out with anyone apparently. He went out with Lauren from The Hills that one time (apparently she's smart--haven't looked anything up to confirm :smallbiggrin:)...

Then there was that girl from the library. The atheist one.

Optimystik
2010-01-27, 09:01 AM
I point out again that nothing in Family Guy in terms of plot, characterization, logical conclusions, and other basic writing elements makes sense. It's just a way for Seth Macfarlane to say "This is (insert comparative adjective) than (insert celebrity, historical figure, or fictional character) (insert situation)."

Reiterating this - it's like trying to find reasoning and canon in Robot Chicken.

Also, note how inconsistently they treat Brian. He is treated like a mooching human friend (Quagmire's rant) in one scene, then like an ordinary dog (no sex with humans) in others. Logic is in very short supply here.

Kris Strife
2010-01-27, 09:13 AM
Reiterating this - it's like trying to find reasoning and canon in Robot Chicken.

Also, note how inconsistently they treat Brian. He is treated like a mooching human friend (Quagmire's rant) in one scene, then like an ordinary dog (no sex with humans) in others. Logic is in very short supply here.

Lois and Stewie get the same treatment. Brian was married to Lois for a year or so when Peter dissapeared in a storm and she refused him the entire time, yet when Peter gets amnesia, she's about to sleep with Quagmire about three days after he says he wants to sleep around now.

And can they hear Stewie talking or not?

Xallace
2010-01-27, 10:53 AM
And can they hear Stewie talking or not?

I remember they bring this up at the end of an episode. It's intentionally vague. Or McFarlane doesn't care. Or something.

So anyway, the show really doesn't follow anything along the lines of plot, continuity, etc. As has been mentioned. It's just a gag show, and, aside from a few scenes ("More confusing than a rap video by MC Escher," "I wasn't aware Greenberg was a jedi name"), one I'm not that fond of.

Temotei
2010-01-28, 03:45 AM
I remember they bring this up at the end of an episode. It's intentionally vague. Or McFarlane doesn't care. Or something.

So anyway, the show really doesn't follow anything along the lines of plot, continuity, etc. As has been mentioned. It's just a gag show, and, aside from a few scenes ("More confusing than a rap video by MC Escher," "I wasn't aware Greenberg was a jedi name"), one I'm not that fond of.

It was when the future people in space asked about it.

"So...can they understand the baby?" *theme song*

Supagoof
2010-01-28, 02:38 PM
And can they hear Stewie talking or not?It's kinda like when John talks to Garfield who then thinks back the answers. Funny if you think Jon can hear Garfields thoughts. Funnier if you imagine that he can't - because then he's a crazy person having a very sane conversation with a cat.

http://www.truthandbeautybombs.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4997

Kris Strife
2010-01-28, 07:23 PM
It's kinda like when John talks to Garfield who then thinks back the answers. Funny if you think Jon can hear Garfields thoughts. Funnier if you imagine that he can't - because then he's a crazy person having a very sane conversation with a cat.

http://www.truthandbeautybombs.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4997

I think there have been times when he and others have responded to Garfields thought bubbles, which further clouds that issue.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-28, 09:10 PM

I think it's safe to say that Belkar Bitterleaf, Black Mage, and Richard the Warlock have more respect for the good of humanity than Seth Macfarlane has for plot, characterization, and basic story telling elements.

Temotei
2010-01-28, 09:12 PM
I think it's safe to say that Belkar Bitterleaf, Black Mage, and Richard the Warlock have more respect for the good of humanity than Seth Macfarlane has for plot, characterization, and basic story telling elements.

Hehe. :smallbiggrin:

The Dark Fiddler
2010-01-28, 09:22 PM

Well, there's that one robot the kids from Grease built....

Dr.Epic
2010-01-28, 09:28 PM

Robot Chicken doesn't try to come up with a story to occupy the entire episode and try to distract the audience at how it makes no sense by cutting away to interchangeable jokes. They think of jokes and just play them through the entire episode in clips (kind of like a sketch show).

Avilan the Grey
2010-01-29, 02:46 AM
I think there have been times when he and others have responded to Garfields thought bubbles, which further clouds that issue.

Yes, and this is also the case with Stewie.
As far as the creators are concerned (according to the "future Stewie" episode) only people that are not part of the family (and Brian) can hear Stewie.
Except when Rule of Funny makes it necessary for someone in the family to hear him.

Ganurath
2010-01-29, 02:48 AM
I personally favor the hypothesis that Lois has known all along, and disarmed the bomb with a special device disguised as a sex toy. After all, she knew all along that it was Stewie who came to the future, and given his father Lois needs to be at least Stewie's level of intellect, if not greater. Her playing dumb is just her defense: So long as she plays the fool, Stewie will restain himself due to underestimating her. One of the 36 Strategems, as I recall.

This is all a nefarious scheme on her part to raise her child to be the sort that would inherit the wealth of her parents, then bring her full intellect to bear in robbing Stewie of his inheritence so that she can take over the world.

Temotei
2010-01-29, 03:06 AM
I personally favor the hypothesis that Lois has known all along, and disarmed the bomb with a special device disguised as a sex toy. After all, she knew all along that it was Stewie who came to the future, and given his father Lois needs to be at least Stewie's level of intellect, if not greater. Her playing dumb is just her defense: So long as she plays the fool, Stewie will restain himself due to underestimating her. One of the 36 Strategems, as I recall.

This is all a nefarious scheme on her part to raise her child to be the sort that would inherit the wealth of her parents, then bring her full intellect to bear in robbing Stewie of his inheritence so that she can take over the world.

Quite the theory. :smallamused:

VA_beds
2010-01-29, 10:07 PM
sometimes they do keep things from episode to episode

remember Brian beaning Peter with the rock in the FatGuy Murderer episode? peter says to brian "you missed" or something like that and brian replies "no i didnt, that was for not rolling down the window of the general lee" from the Witness protection episode where they relocated to Bumblescum (Arkansas?)
and that was from the previous season...maybe 2 seasons previous
Bumblescum episode=BEST EPISODE EVAH!!

Dr.Epic
2010-01-29, 11:28 PM

Or Seth Macfarlane doesn't understand characterization and decide if Lois needed to be smart at the moment then she was.

Bumblescum episode=BEST EPISODE EVAH!!

No. It was that episode with the guy who keep calling Peter a "Phony!"

Also, I'm not sure if this has been brought up but one of the things that really bugs me about Family Guy is the number of obscure references in their jokes. "Hey, remember that one completely obscure movie from the 80's or 70's? Well he's a joke about it nobody will get." The other thing I hate is how they can dedicate like an entire minute to one interchangeable joke. There are just rants, like literally just rants of characters and they passed of as jokes. I remember like two of Stewie talking to some celebrity and insulting them. Just Stewie commenting about the celebrity with no joke. Just an annoying rant used to eat up show time BECAUSE SETH MACFARLANE DOESN'T UNDERSTANDS ANYTHING ABOUT WRITING!!!!!!

Fawkes
2010-01-29, 11:43 PM
It's a cartoon, calm down.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-29, 11:48 PM
It's a cartoon, calm down.

Yes and it was once a good cartoon. Oh the first couple season of Family Guy.

TheSummoner
2010-01-30, 12:00 AM
Dr. Epic, its not worth fighting that fight.

You and I both know that Family Guy has devolved to the point where it is nothing more than pointless excessive violence for shock value, "jokes" that run on to the point that they make you uncomfortable in an attempt to compensate for being unfunny, idiotic references to nothing, poop humor, and a soap box for Seth McFarlane to stand on and ram his political opinions down your throat with the subtlety of Rhino smashing it's way through a house of mirrors.

Despite the fact that theres no actual humor to be found, no more plot per episode than is required to string a series of "jokes" together, and how the writers wouldn't be able to come up with 5 minutes of an episode if their "humor" actually had to be relevant to the plot... People will STILL find some excuse to defend it.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-30, 12:03 AM

You and I both know that Family Guy has devolved to the point where it is nothing more than pointless excessive violence for shock value, "jokes" that run on to the point that they make you uncomfortable in an attempt to compensate for being unfunny, idiotic references to nothing, poop humor, and a soap box for Seth McFarlane to stand on and ram his political opinions down your throat with the subtlety of Rhino smashing it's way through a house of mirrors.

Despite the fact that theres no actual humor to be found, no more plot per episode than is required to string a series of "jokes" together, and how the writers wouldn't be able to come up with 5 minutes of an episode if their "humor" actually had to be relevant to the plot... People will STILL find some excuse to defend it.

You've perfectly summed up my opinion of Family Guy, American Dad and the Cleaveland Show.

TheSummoner
2010-01-30, 12:12 AM
Consider this.

The McFarlane shows are crap that take minimal effort or talent to produce.

The masses eat that garbage up as if it was delicious, delicious candy.

Fox makes tons of money because people are eating out of the garbage can... Why should Fox break out the steaks (intelligent, witty, funny shows) or even the hamburgers (somewhat intelligent or witty, but still fairly funny shows), when they've got a swarm of people coming to eat out of their dumpsters?

Fawkes
2010-01-30, 12:23 AM
Okay, now, I don't care for the show's post-revival seasons, either, but I think you might be exaggerating a mite.

Lord of Rapture
2010-01-30, 02:15 AM
Okay, now, I don't care for the show's post-revival seasons, either, but I think you might be exaggerating a mite.

BURN THE HERETIC!:furious: yes, that is exaggeration

TheSummoner
2010-01-30, 02:58 AM
Exaggerating... eh, its obviously biased, but I think I have it pretty spot on.

But if you'd like to prove me wrong (anyone, not just Fawkes), I have an idea...

Take any recent episode of Family Guy. Divide the episode into clips and sort every clip into one of three categories: Plot, Plot-related humor, and Pointless crap. Each individual clip should be fairly short, even one liners can be pointless crap padding. Put the episode back together with just the Plot parts and the Plot-related humor. Get rid of anything with no relevance to the main plot of the episode. Any jokes that are repeated ad nauseam can only be used once with each repeat being removed (so if the fat man is trying to... lets say toss a baseball in the air and hit it as it comes down and he missed 5 times, you can only show him missing once... of course, this assumes that him trying to hit the baseball is actually part of the plot and not just a manatee joke). McFarlane's politicalstraw manning has to be removed. Poop and fart jokes have to be removed. Cutaway gags allowed only if relevant to something going on in the main plot.

If anyone actually tries this, the overall guideline is to use your best judgement. If you're not sure if something is relevant to the plot or is pointless crap, its probably pointless crap. Post it on Youtube or something and we'll see just how much of the episode is left. Expect me to be fairly critical when looking out for any pointless crap that may have been left in though.

My bet remains that whatever is left will be about 5 minutes long and painfully dull (which sadly enough, is actually an improvement).

Kaiser Omnik
2010-01-30, 10:09 AM
Consider this.

Fox makes tons of money because people are eating out of the garbage can... Why should Fox break out the steaks (intelligent, witty, funny shows) or even the hamburgers (somewhat intelligent or witty, but still fairly funny shows), when they've got a swarm of people coming to eat out of their dumpsters?

I can't take anyone who bases his arguments on "the masses" seriously. Elitist much?

Have you ever produced a cartoon? How do you know how much effort they are putting into Family Guy?

DraPrime
2010-01-30, 10:40 AM
I can't take anyone who bases his arguments on "the masses" seriously. Elitist much?

Have you ever produced a cartoon? How do you know how much effort they are putting into Family Guy?

A lot of effort doesn't mean it's good. I can put a lot of effort into torturing small children, but that doesn't mean it's a good thing.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-30, 11:00 AM
Consider this.

Not entirely true: they have the Simpsons and after 20 years and 450 episodes their stories are still better, fresher, and more logical than those of Seth Macfarlane.

But if you'd like to prove me wrong (anyone, not just Fawkes), I have an idea...

Take any recent episode of Family Guy. Divide the episode into clips and sort every clip into one of three categories: Plot, Plot-related humor, and Pointless crap. Each individual clip should be fairly short, even one liners can be pointless crap padding. Put the episode back together with just the Plot parts and the Plot-related humor. Get rid of anything with no relevance to the main plot of the episode. Any jokes that are repeated ad nauseam can only be used once with each repeat being removed (so if the fat man is trying to... lets say toss a baseball in the air and hit it as it comes down and he missed 5 times, you can only show him missing once... of course, this assumes that him trying to hit the baseball is actually part of the plot and not just a manatee joke). McFarlane's politicalstraw manning has to be removed. Poop and fart jokes have to be removed. Cutaway gags allowed only if relevant to something going on in the main plot.

If anyone actually tries this, the overall guideline is to use your best judgement. If you're not sure if something is relevant to the plot or is pointless crap, its probably pointless crap. Post it on Youtube or something and we'll see just how much of the episode is left. Expect me to be fairly critical when looking out for any pointless crap that may have been left in though.

My bet remains that whatever is left will be about 5 minutes long and painfully dull (which sadly enough, is actually an improvement).

I actually had a theory about how Family Guy is written that is similar to that:

TV shows fill a 30 minute time slot, but with opening them, end credits, and commercials, there's only really about 22 minutes of actual show on average. Now, when writing a script for Family Guy write a plot that would take 15 minutes to tell through the medium of TV show. Cut out the last 5 or 6 minutes and rewrite the a new ending that takes maybe 30 seconds to a minute so that a major conflict has been reached in the plot, but the resolution which should take several minutes is done in the time it takes to microwave a pop tart thus robbing the show of any coherent plot, characterization, and moral theme. Now just fill the remainder of the show with interchangeable jokes, some of which just ramble on and eat up a minute or show time, some with incredibly obscure references no one will get, and some that have been use in previous episodes (giant chicken anyone?).

Any questions?

TheSummoner
2010-01-30, 12:39 PM

"The masses" was never my arguement for why Family Guy is a terrible show, it was my explanation for why Fox isn't getting rid of it despite the fact that it is a terrible show. However, to go off on that tangent...

What precisely is wrong with elitism? Some people are better than others. Some are smarter. Some are stronger. Some are more talented. Some have more knowledge in a specific field. Equality might be a nice ideal but its also unnatural and impossible. I could go further but its already hard for me to avoid getting political with this. The point is Family Guy looks to the lowest common denominator and then dumbs it down further. However, a good number of people still watch it. From the network's perspective, why should they kill the chicken laying the golden eggs? Even if the eggs smell like ****, people are still buying them in dozens.

Have I ever produced a cartoon? Nope. I have done a fair bit of animation though... mostly 3D, but some 2D. Luck is always a huge factor in these things and I'm still in college anyways. Besides, TV isn't where my goals are so chances are I will never produce a cartoon.

How do I know how much effort they're putting into Family Guy? I have eyes. I can make a pretty good estimate based on what I see. When the formula pretty much boils down to write a fraction of a plotline and fill whats left of the 22 minute timeslot with anything else, how much effort do you really think it takes them?

Winthur
2010-01-30, 01:20 PM
What precisely is wrong with elitism?
That it bases on your own self-perception and therefore you can pretty much say that whatever you don't like is "crap for the masses"? :smalltongue:

I'm so elitist I'd like to ask you all... have you, or have you not, heard the word?

TheSummoner
2010-01-30, 01:31 PM
Eh, I believe I said that it was idiotic, unfunny, poorly written garbage and that the only reason its still on the air is because enough people watch it for some incomprehensible reason that its profitable for the network.

The whole elitism thing came up as a tangent related to my explanation for why Fox wouldn't just cancel the damn thing.

Winthur
2010-01-30, 01:44 PM
Eh, I believe I said that it was idiotic, unfunny, poorly written garbage and that the only reason its still on the air is because enough people watch it for some incomprehensible reason that its profitable for the network.

Don't like it, don't watch it. I personally like watching Family Guy from time to time. I know it's not high-class humor, but I don't see it as trying to be. Yes, some episodes like the infamous Star Trek: TNG cast one are awful. But sometimes it does make me laugh really hard. I don't even care about those "afterschool special" messages - back in the days when they were more humorous ("Eeeeeeeverybody happeeee! Eeeeverybody gaaay!"), maybe, but South Park is doing them a lot better (and is a better show overall). Yet, I still find myself not the first one to laugh, as I, for example, find all the internet abridged series other than the first one absolutely unfunny. Yes, even the Dragon Ball one. And even now, some of the "awesome" episodes of YGOTAS I pass off as "meh". Then again, I watch American The Office and even though it has rather lukewarm reception if my tracing of the interwebs serves me right, I'm somehow able to find it really funny.

I don't know what is your ranting trying to accomplish here.

Fawkes
2010-01-30, 01:44 PM
And why would they cancel it? Because we don't like it?

That's silly. You're silly.

Harr
2010-01-30, 02:12 PM
Eh, I'll watch FG if someone puts it on... like said above by the more reasonable people, it isn't really that good, but it's not like it's unwatchable either. You can turn your brain off for a half hour and just laugh.

I never watch it out of my own initiative, and I have no great admiration for its writers, but to take it to the level where you get all hyperbolic and ranty is, as said above, pretty damn silly.

That said, if I were given a choice over Family Guy, I would likely choose the Simpsons, and if given a choice over that, I would definitely choose Futurama, simply the best out there :smallsmile:

Tiktakkat
2010-01-30, 02:37 PM

As opposed to how many other shows on television these days?
(With variation for hour long shows and dramas.)
Seriously.
The degree to which most shows are nothing more than political hackery, insterspersed with gratuitous shock, sprinkled with non-sequiter fillers, and padded out with establishing shot filler, is somewhere between 99.9% and 100%.
Why does Seth MacFarlane have to be any different in regards to Family Guy, The Cleveland Show, and American Dad?

I actually had a theory about how Family Guy is written that is similar to that:

. . .

Any questions?

Actually, that reminds me of how I describe Dragonball Z episodes:
30 minutes slot
22 minutes after commercials
2 minutes for open and close themes
2 minutes for recap and preview
5 minutes of the good guy and bad guy telling each other how they are going to unleash a can of whup-you-know-what on each other
5 minutes of the good guy and bad guy expressing shock and dismay at how their old fashioned beatdown did not automatically succeed
5 minutes of supporting characters expressing shock and dismay at the course of the battle
3 minutes of actual plot

So again, why is Seth MacFarlane required to be different in producing his shows?

Moff Chumley
2010-01-30, 02:59 PM
tl;dr: Proof that FG could be better=South Park. Better in every way.

Douglas
2010-01-30, 03:19 PM
30 minutes slot
5 minutes of the good guy and bad guy telling each other how they are going to unleash a can of whup-you-know-what on each other
5 minutes of the good guy and bad guy expressing shock and dismay at how their old fashioned beatdown did not automatically succeed
5 minutes of supporting characters expressing shock and dismay at the course of the battle
3 minutes of actual plot
You left out the powerup sequences. I'm sure those account for at least 5 to 10 minutes per episode most of the time. And then there are the episodes where the entire episode is just part of a powerup sequence.

Tiktakkat
2010-01-30, 05:28 PM
You left out the powerup sequences. I'm sure those account for at least 5 to 10 minutes per episode most of the time. And then there are the episodes where the entire episode is just part of a powerup sequence.

Heh.
I tend to include those in the boasting/questioning phases.
But yes, some episodes develop more plot in the summary and preview than they do in the entire episode.

Lord of Rapture
2010-01-30, 07:50 PM
tl;dr: Proof that FG could be better=South Park. Better in every way.

High five there, man.

Well, up until recently. South Park is getting way, way, too preachy.

Optimystik
2010-01-30, 08:11 PM
High five there, man.

YMMV. It is my opinion (and that of several others, apparently) that South Park is firmly in Some Anvils Need To Be Dropped (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SugarWiki/AnvilsThatNeededToBeDropped) territory.

GenPol
2010-01-30, 08:35 PM
High five there, man.

Yeah, I agree, but it is still friggin hilarious!

Family Guy isn't a bad show. It has some good jokes, and rare moments of brilliance (*sip* "This is good OJ..." *crash!*). But South Park is more reliably funny, except for those occasional episodes that are just a little awkward (er, the Queef Sisters?). And even those make you last at least.

Sorry to derail the thread, just my two silver pieces :smallbiggrin:

KBF
2010-01-31, 02:42 AM
...Why do I read Family Guy threads? They all derail into "WHY IS THIS SHOW POPULAR I HATE IT IT'S NOT SMART ENOUGH."

It can be funny. Whether it's intelligent or not doesn't matter. It's a gag show, it doesn't have to be more. The gags are pretty good as long as you don't unreasonabley expect them all to be as hilarious as the popularity. It's not popular because it's ungodly hilarious, it's popular because it has been (relatively) consistently hilarious for 10 years. The plot is for gags and coherency, which executives love. And you know what? I can enjoy the plot. As long as, you know, it's not too anvilicious. I hate over-the-top morals.

Temotei
2010-01-31, 02:55 AM
...Why do I read Family Guy threads? They all derail into "WHY IS THIS SHOW POPULAR I HATE IT IT'S NOT SMART ENOUGH."

It can be funny. Whether it's intelligent or not doesn't matter. It's a gag show, it doesn't have to be more. The gags are pretty good as long as you don't unreasonabley expect them all to be as hilarious as the popularity. It's not popular because it's ungodly hilarious, it's popular because it has been (relatively) consistently hilarious for 10 years. The plot is for gags and coherency, which executives love. And you know what? I can enjoy the plot. As long as, you know, it's not too anvilicious. I hate over-the-top morals.

Some of the old shows had too many morals pushed in. Now, it's devolved into a violent, Meg-hating (nothing changed there), stupid show about nothing.

I love it. :smallbiggrin: It's nice to laugh at random crap, and I get most of the movie references. TRON!

Winthur
2010-01-31, 07:09 AM
OK, so how about we have a contest. Whoever goes the longest without puking gets the last piece of pie in the fridge. :smallbiggrin:

Kris Strife
2010-01-31, 09:03 AM
OK, so how about we have a contest. Whoever goes the longest without puking gets the last piece of pie in the fridge. :smallbiggrin:

Having tried that stuff, that was actually a pretty accurate representation...

Teddy90
2010-01-31, 11:30 AM
Haven't seen this but sounds nice.
Anyone seen the cleveland show? is it good?

Optimystik
2010-01-31, 01:17 PM
Haven't seen this but sounds nice.
Anyone seen the cleveland show? is it good?

Many of the episodes are on Hulu, or were when I last checked.

I find it hilarious - definitely a better spin-off than American Dad. Cleveland has become almost as much of an ass as Peter, minus the rampant stupidity. It also pokes quite a bit of fun at typical "black" sitcoms, especially that godawful Tyler Perry.

Temotei
2010-01-31, 01:19 PM
Many of the episodes are on Hulu, or were when I last checked.

I find it hilarious - definitely a better spin-off than American Dad. Cleveland has become almost as much of an ass as Peter, minus the rampant stupidity. It also pokes quite a bit of fun at typical "black" sitcoms, especially that godawful Tyler Perry.

And then they used that bear from the show in one Family Guy episode...

That was another one where Cleveland fell out of his house in his tub. :smallcool:

Dr.Epic
2010-01-31, 04:05 PM
30 minutes slot
3 minutes of actual plot

So again, why is Seth MacFarlane required to be different in producing his shows?

You forgot cut-aways to other characters not in the general fighting area and whatever subplot their involved in. Also, that theory can be applied to a lot of animes (I'm talking about you Bleach:smallannoyed:).

Temotei
2010-01-31, 04:08 PM
You forgot cut-aways to other characters not in the general fighting area and whatever subplot their involved in. Also, that theory can be applied to a lot of animes (I'm talking about you Bleach:smallannoyed:).

I once watched an episode of Dragonball Z. Two minutes of yelling across a chasm, twenty-six minutes of charging up. Two minutes for non-show stuff.

The next episode was five minutes of charging up in the beginning, ten minutes of a beam shooting, two minutes of Belma (or something), three minutes of yelling, seven minutes of charging up. Three minutes of non-show.

:smallsigh: At least I have reason to say "it sucks" now.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-31, 04:25 PM
I once watched an episode of Dragonball Z. Two minutes of yelling across a chasm, twenty-six minutes of charging up. Two minutes for non-show stuff.

The next episode was five minutes of charging up in the beginning, ten minutes of a beam shooting, two minutes of Belma (or something), three minutes of yelling, seven minutes of charging up. Three minutes of non-show.

:smallsigh: At least I have reason to say "it sucks" now.

If I had a nickel for every minute DBZ has shown charging up I'd be able to pay for half my college tuition.

Temotei
2010-01-31, 04:27 PM
If I had a nickel for every minute DBZ has shown charging up I'd be able to pay for half my college tuition.

It makes me wonder what the writers are thinking.

Watcher: Whoo! Dragonball Z!
Writer 1: Good...good...

Mikeavelli
2010-01-31, 04:30 PM
it doesn't matter if it's a "good" show or not.

It doesn't even matter if it's funny or not.

It matters that you're watching it.

You, the guys in this thread ranting about it, you're watching it! that makes it a good show in the eyes of everyone who matters!

If you think some greedy fox exec thinks you're an idiot who will watch this garbage, and you're watching it, then you're an idiot who will watch this garbage!

Dr.Epic
2010-01-31, 04:33 PM

You, the guys in this thread ranting about it, you're watching it! that makes it a good show in the eyes of everyone who matters!

If you think some greedy fox exec thinks you're an idiot who will watch this garbage, and you're watching it, then you're an idiot who will watch this garbage!

Yeah but there's no story in it which raises the question why anybody waste there time with it. I've flushed thing down my toilet with better plot.

T-O-E
2010-01-31, 04:34 PM

This makes absolutely no sense.

KBF
2010-01-31, 04:58 PM
This makes absolutely no sense.

Ratings and word of mouth are vastly more important than good reviews. Essentially.

Temotei
2010-01-31, 05:25 PM

Dragonball Z is hilarious. I can't stop laughing when I watch that show.

babeeroniea
2010-01-31, 08:29 PM
umm... i am babeeroniea and i think this show is really really funny. But i like that 70's show better. even though they are not related much at all. So you could kinda say i must be one of those people on youtube that compares Dragonland(Quality band) and Dragonforce(repetitive band of somewhat medium quality) which are two bands that are not related at all.

I personally think that Family guy is a hysterically funny show. But being 13 that could be due to the fact that it makes no sense and my mom doesnt like it that makes it so appealing. Anyway. I LOVE!!!! Family Guy. The one where they go find the twinkie factory after 2K is my favorite.

Mikeavelli
2010-01-31, 08:41 PM
Ratings and word of mouth are vastly more important than good reviews. Essentially.

Yup!

No matter how much people on internet forums rail against the poor writing of family guy, so long as people are citing specific events from recent episodes, it means they're still watching Family Guy.

If you know the formula well enough to rail against it, you're part of the demographic making it popular.

This whole thread is one giant hypocritical wankfest.

Especially me.

Because I like Family guy. It makes me giggle, like that time when I was a little schoolgirl at a backstreet boys concert.

Temotei
2010-01-31, 08:44 PM
Yup!

No matter how much people on internet forums rail against the poor writing of family guy, so long as people are citing specific events from recent episodes, it means they're still watching Family Guy.

If you know the formula well enough to rail against it, you're part of the demographic making it popular.

Especially me.

Because I like Family guy. It makes me giggle, like that time when I was a little schoolgirl at a backstreet boys concert.

Heehee! :elan:

Twist! :smallcool:

The Extinguisher
2010-01-31, 08:45 PM

So you're saying if I took a show, and took out the things the show uses to be funny, it won't be funny anymore.

This has blown my mind. Clearly my opinions are wrong.

Temotei
2010-01-31, 08:46 PM
So you're saying if I took a show, and took out the things the show uses to be funny, it won't be funny anymore.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-43iair00Wc/SJVuw1DLM6I/AAAAAAAAAF0/0G7ZyxvPMD4/s400/Mind+Blown.jpg

Fawkes
2010-01-31, 08:55 PM
Speaking of recent events, was it really necessary for Peter to be raped by a bull?

That's right, I'm liveblogging the FG premiere. What of it?

Also, why is the maid a recurring character?

babeeroniea
2010-01-31, 09:16 PM
Speaking of recent events, was it really necessary for Peter to be raped by a bull?

That's right, I'm liveblogging the FG premiere. What of it?

Also, why is the maid a recurring character?

She is the funniest animated mexican maid that works for superman ever thats why.

Fawkes
2010-01-31, 09:25 PM
To each his own, I suppose.

TheSummoner
2010-01-31, 10:09 PM

Only if you consider that stuff funny in the first place. Personally, I find it skull-shattering annoying and idiotic.

Temotei
2010-01-31, 10:14 PM
Only if you consider that stuff funny in the first place. Personally, I find it skull-shattering annoying and idiotic.

What was your point again?

TheSummoner
2010-01-31, 10:24 PM
That the show is idiotic and the writing is terrible. That each episode is no more than tattered shreds of a plotline that exist for no purpose other than to hold together pointless non-sequitors, references to nothing, poop jokes, exaggerated violence with no purpose other than shock value, and McFarlane doing his own versions of a Chick Tract.

Temotei
2010-01-31, 10:28 PM
That the show is idiotic and the writing is terrible. That each episode is no more than tattered shreds of a plotline that exist for no purpose other than to hold together pointless non-sequitors, references to nothing, poop jokes, exaggerated violence with no purpose other than shock value, and McFarlane doing his own versions of a Chick Tract.

I don't see a problem with that. :smallcool:

People enjoy the show, so...I suppose it's a good one. Same with any other show that hasn't died off.

TheSummoner
2010-01-31, 10:32 PM
I will never understand how it even is possible for someone to enjoy that.

Every time a commercial comes on for it, I feel like reaching for a hammer and either smashing in the TV screen or my own skull.

I mean... the jokes essentially ammount to pulling a number of random words out of your ass and stringing them together.

Temotei
2010-01-31, 10:37 PM

Every time a commercial comes on for it, I feel like reaching for a hammer and either smashing in the TV screen or my own skull.

I mean... the jokes essentially ammount to pulling a number of random words out of your ass and stringing them together.

That's the point. It's so random and crazy that you just go "What?" Then you laugh. If that's not yo' can o' beans, 's'all good, dawg. :smallcool:

I think you're using hyperbole a little too much though.

Mikeavelli
2010-01-31, 10:37 PM

It's your fault family guy is still on the air.

You are part of the problem.

Temotei
2010-01-31, 10:38 PM
It's your fault family guy is still on the air.

You are part of the problem.

:smallbiggrin:

Heehee.

TheSummoner
2010-01-31, 10:59 PM
Actually, no. I don't watch it. Not anymore anyways.

Unfortunatly I get a high enough dose of that brain-cancer from the commercials (there are other shows on Fox and Adult Swim afterall) and from my friends that its surprising I haven't sprouted a second head.

Lord of Rapture
2010-01-31, 11:50 PM
Yup!

Especially me.

WAT. :smalleek:

Temotei
2010-01-31, 11:59 PM
WAT. :smalleek:

There's no gender symbol below his/her location...:smallamused:

Unfortunatly I get a high enough dose of that brain-cancer from the commercials (there are other shows on Fox and Adult Swim afterall) and from my friends that its surprising I haven't sprouted a second head.

Spelling has been lost though. :smallsigh: I feel your pain.

It's funny, because pretty much everyone in the thread agrees that it's just a random show with stupid jokes on it...but you're the only one that cares in a negative way. :smallsmile: Not a bad thing, necessarily.

Mikeavelli
2010-02-01, 12:07 AM
It was a family guy style joke, I'm male :P.

Just imagine Peter Griffin in a schoolgirl outfit at a backstreet boys concert, giggling.

Giggling.

Temotei
2010-02-01, 12:13 AM
It was a family guy style joke, I'm male :P.

Just imagine Peter Griffin in a schoolgirl outfit at a backstreet boys concert, giggling.

Giggling.

:smallamused: Ah...

TheSummoner
2010-02-01, 12:15 AM
Spelling has been lost though. :smallsigh: I feel your pain.

*eyeroll* Yes, because a few minor typos are really worth bringing up like that. If I start spewing an incomprehensible mess, then by all means, PLEASE call me on it. Until then, thats far from necessary.

Temotei
2010-02-01, 12:41 AM
*eyeroll* Yes, because a few minor typos are really worth bringing up like that. If I start spewing an incomprehensible mess, then by all means, PLEASE call me on it. Until then, thats far from necessary.

Hey, I'm just saying...it's better than brain cancer. :smallcool:

TheSummoner
2010-02-01, 12:46 AM
True enough.

Lord of Rapture
2010-02-01, 02:49 AM
It's funny, because pretty much everyone in the thread agrees that it's just a random show with stupid jokes on it...but you're the only one that cares in a negative way. :smallsmile: Not a bad thing, necessarily.

...You haven't really been reading the thread, have you. :smallconfused:

Temotei
2010-02-01, 02:53 AM
...You haven't really been reading the thread, have you. :smallconfused:

I missed you, didn't I?

I'm tired. :smallcool:

Lord of Rapture
2010-02-01, 02:55 AM
I missed you, didn't I?

I'm tired. :smallcool:

No, there are a few others, like Xallace, and the guy who says South Park is way better than Family Guy, which is true.

Temotei
2010-02-01, 02:58 AM
No, there are a few others, like Xallace, and the guy who says South Park is way better than Family Guy, which is true.

Okay then. :smallamused:

:thog: thog like guy in family

Lord of Rapture
2010-02-01, 03:01 AM
Okay then. :smallamused:

:thog: thog like guy in family

:vaarsuvius: Clearly, you are an imbecile who intellect is so far underground you would need to drill to the outer core of the planet in order to find it. :smalltongue:

Temotei
2010-02-01, 03:03 AM
:vaarsuvius: Clearly, you are an imbecile who intellect is so far underground you would need to drill to the outer core of the planet in order to find it. :smalltongue:

Hehe. :smallcool:

Truthfully, I don't even watch TV that much. It's like...once a week for an hour. It's usually for House. :smallsmile:

T-O-E
2010-02-01, 03:05 AM

I was talking about the crux of his arguments.
Who cares if people watch it in spite of or because of its low quality? That's probably an insignificant percentage of viewers. And watching something makes it good?

Avilan the Grey
2010-02-01, 04:28 AM
Personally I enjoy Family Guy because it is exactly what it says on the tin.
However I do not follow any of the spinoffs, because it would lead to Seth overdose.

I don't have a problem enjoying a show that is just that stupid, as long as it makes me laugh.

Simpsons is funnier, better written and better -everything else too- but I do not have to choose. I can watch both shows. And enjoy documentaries about the Renaissance painters.

Sometimes you want a hot dog, some times you want oysters.
Quite frankly I prefer hot dogs more often than oysters.

Temotei
2010-02-01, 04:31 AM
However I do not follow any of the spinoffs, because it would lead to Seth overdose.

I don't have a problem enjoying a show that is just that stupid, as long as it makes me laugh.

Simpsons is funnier, better written and better -everything else too- but I do not have to choose. I can watch both shows. And enjoy documentaries about the Renaissance painters.

Sometimes you want a hot dog, some times you want oysters.
Quite frankly I prefer hot dogs more often than oysters.

That's because seafood sucks. :smallamused:

Optimystik
2010-02-01, 07:42 AM

Why yes, yes it was.

Lord of Rapture
2010-02-01, 08:18 AM
That's because seafood sucks. :smallamused:

YOU DID NOT JUST INSULT SEAFOOD>: :smallmad:

Avilan the Grey
2010-02-01, 08:56 AM

Cthulhu counts as seafood, right?

Lord of Rapture
2010-02-01, 09:18 AM
Cthulhu counts as seafood, right?

Only if I can eat it.

Avilan the Grey
2010-02-01, 09:20 AM
Only if I can eat it.

"Did you eat Cthulhu?"

Fawkes
2010-02-01, 11:23 AM
I happened to watch all of Fox's Animation Whatever yesterday, which I don't usually do.

Surprisingly, I think the one I enjoyed the most was the Cleveland Show. Go figure.

Although, it was kind of nice to see Meg fight back for once. Seriously, I'm so tired of the 'Meg sucks' jokes. :smallyuk:

Winthur
2010-02-01, 02:12 PM
(...) It's usually for House. :smallsmile:

*stares at the screen*
Roadhouse.

Temotei
2010-02-01, 03:04 PM

Lord of Rapture
2010-02-01, 05:54 PM

:smallfurious:

*slap*

Lord Seth
2010-02-01, 10:13 PM
However I do not follow any of the spinoffs, because it would lead to Seth overdose.American Dad isn't a spinoff, only The Cleveland Show is.

Harr
2010-02-02, 11:55 AM
Saw the last episode and I gotta say I found it pretty hilarious :smallbiggrin: Meg as a badass is fresh, at least. "Don't run downhill!" was also awesome.

Temotei
2010-02-10, 08:46 PM
Saw the last episode and I gotta say I found it pretty hilarious :smallbiggrin: Meg as a badass is fresh, at least. "Don't run downhill!" was also awesome.

True. The curb stomp (stair stomp) was pretty unexpected. :smallamused:

reorith
2010-02-11, 01:30 AM

>Lord Seth

SHOW YOURSELF MACFARLANE!

khoregate
2010-02-11, 09:56 AM
I prefer southpark to FG BUT why did they cancel 'King of the Hill ' for that tripe the clevland show ?

s
u
c
k
s
!

Setra
2010-02-11, 10:20 AM
Family guy... eh, I'll watch it if nothing else is on, but I can say that about shows I like more.

I won't say it's bad, just that it doesn't match my tastes. Of course in general, I dislike comedy as the focus for a show or movie, with the exception of sketch shows.

Avilan the Grey
2010-02-12, 02:18 AM
American Dad isn't a spinoff, only The Cleveland Show is.

Well fine. I don't follow any spinoff or show set in the same universe, because it would lead to Seth overdose.

Happy? :smalltongue:

Temotei
2010-02-12, 02:22 AM
Well fine. I don't follow any spinoff or show set in the same universe, because it would lead to Seth overdose.

So...a show can't be in the same universe...which means...no...location? *head explodes*

Is there any such thing as another universe?

Kris Strife
2010-02-12, 07:09 AM

Nitpick: Family Guy and American Dad are part of the same universe. Watch 'Lois kills Stewie' again.

Setra
2010-02-12, 08:54 AM
Nitpick: Family Guy and American Dad are part of the same universe. Watch 'Lois kills Stewie' again.
I think that was his point?

Kris Strife
2010-02-12, 09:06 AM
I think that was his point?

I meant as in the shows are somewhat connected and the characters could potentially meet each other without some sort of interdimensional travel plot.

Winterwind
2010-02-12, 09:22 AM
I meant as in the shows are somewhat connected and the characters could potentially meet each other without some sort of interdimensional travel plot.Yes. That was Avilan the Grey's point.

Avilan: I don't watch American Dad as it's set in the same universe as Family Guy.
You: But American Dad is set in the same universe as Family Guy!
Setra: Yes, that was his point.
You: What I mean is, American Dad is set in the same universe as Family Guy!

Notice a slight miscommunication here? :smalltongue:

And now that I've posted in this thread, I guess I might as well state my opinion, too. Family Guy is... well, it's hardly high quality entertainment, doesn't even begin to compare with, say, South Park, but when I'm tired or depressed, it provides some mindless entertainment. The humour strikes true often enough for me.

Interestingly, I find that American Dad is of a vastly better quality - it actually has plots, the characters are a lot more interesting, I find it's an infinitely better show altogether. Still far away from South Park, but a lot, lot better than Family Guy.

Kris Strife
2010-02-12, 11:06 AM
I thought he was talking about not being able to watch the Cleveland show because its a direct spin off of Family Guy... Sorry, I apparently missed something somewhere... I blame it on me not sleeping at night.