damage:d10
crit:19-20/x2
notes +1 to ac each
they take up both the wrist and arm slots on your character
have a 25% spell failure each
and you can't use bows or other stringed items in the hand that has them

Ashtagon
2010-01-26, 02:23 AM
The AC bonus means you never need a shield with these anyway.

The spell failure issue is only relevant to casters, who won't be in melee anyway. So, not relevant to anyone who would use these. Plus, what wizard is going to spend two feats for a weapon (one for martial, one for the specific exotic).

The bit about bows is also a non-issue. There are enough ranged non-stringed weapons available after all. And I'd have a hard time seeing a hand crossbow (technically stringed) being obstructed by these.

Can you wear just one of these? Or do these have to be worn as a pair?

Overall, I'd say its way too strong for a martial. As an exotic, its slightly better than most, but that still wouldn't make me happy about spending a feat simply to use a weapon. But it's feels roughly balanced with other exotics.

Latronis
2010-01-26, 02:28 AM
What do you think? (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#swordBastard)

AkazilliaDeNaro
2010-01-26, 02:34 AM
The bit about bows is also a non-issue. There are enough ranged non-stringed weapons available after all. And I'd have a hard time seeing a hand crossbow (technically stringed) being obstructed by these.

Can you wear just one of these? Or do these have to be worn as a pair?

Overall, I'd say its way too strong for a martial. As an exotic, its slightly better than most, but that still wouldn't make me happy about spending a feat simply to use a weapon. But it's feels roughly balanced with other exotics.

i use this with a scout who uses a bow while using one of these
he holds the wooden part with the claw

but you probably cant use a crossbow with these becuase there are bades coming from the arm and the wrist but its not like you would anyway

and latronis what do you mean

Latronis
2010-01-26, 02:43 AM
The drawbacks, are basically meaningless.

So you have what is mechanically strictly superior to a bastard sword something that needs an extra feat just to use it onehanded as a light weapon

Ashtagon
2010-01-26, 02:50 AM
i use this with a scout who uses a bow while using one of these
he holds the wooden part with the claw

but you probably cant use a crossbow with these becuase there are bades coming from the arm and the wrist but its not like you would anyway

and latronis what do you mean

If you've ever used a bow for real, you'd know that a claw is absolutely insufficient to hold a bow whilst firing arrows. At best, you could carry it by using the claw as a makeshift hook. A steady grip is absolutely essential to using a bow. Quite how your character manages when you explicitly said that bows ("bows or other stringed items ") can't be used I don't know.

And I think latronis' point was that the weapon as written effectively makes the bastard sword obsolete in every way.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2010-01-26, 02:53 AM
so is my idea okay to use or is it not
and im planing on making a swashbuckler with these

Admiral Squish
2010-01-26, 02:53 AM
Are we looking at some kinda rigid, bladed buckler, or something closer the shredder's claws?

Exotic
Light
1d8 slashing/piercing
19-20/x2
+1 shield bonus to AC (This bonus stacks if wearing two or more, and enhancement bonuses apply to both AC and attack and damage rolls.)
Hand wearing this cannot be used to wield a weapon

Occupying glove and wrist slots would royally suck. Lose two magic items for a decent weapon? Pass.

Compared to a bastard sword, this this was ridiculous. Now It's vaguely passable. Still pretty high up there, but more manageable.

Latronis
2010-01-26, 03:02 AM
If you've ever used a bow for real, you'd know that a claw is absolutely insufficient to hold a bow whilst firing arrows. At best, you could carry it by using the claw as a makeshift hook. A steady grip is absolutely essential to using a bow. Quite how your character manages when you explicitly said that bows ("bows or other stringed items ") can't be used I don't know.

And I think latronis' point was that the weapon as written effectively makes the bastard sword obsolete in every way.

Well you do have the option of using it 2handed, as a bad greatsword.

But basically yes, it's too good for what it is, and unbalanced compared to the most similiar weapons.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2010-01-26, 03:05 AM
Are we looking at some kinda rigid, bladed buckler, or something closer the shredder's claws?

Exotic
Light
1d8 slashing/piercing
19-20/x2
+1 shield bonus to AC (This bonus stacks if wearing two or more, and enhancement bonuses apply to both AC and attack and damage rolls.)
Hand wearing this cannot be used to wield a weapon

Occupying glove and wrist slots would royally suck. Lose two magic items for a decent weapon? Pass.

Compared to a bastard sword, this this was ridiculous. Now It's vaguely passable. Still pretty high up there, but more manageable.

i love quoting

this is like taking wolverines claws and combining it with mortal kombats baraka's claws

and anyone know where i can find the swashbuckler stats

Latronis
2010-01-26, 03:07 AM
EDIT: Complete warrior.. my bad

AkazilliaDeNaro
2010-01-26, 03:15 AM
i mean online i dont have the books with me
and what is the average starter level for play py post games

Ashtagon
2010-01-26, 03:20 AM
There are swashbuckler-esque classes in PHB2, Complete Warrior, Scoundrel, and Adventurer. None of these have any OGL content, so if any of them were online, they would be breaking IP law, and it would be against forum rules to post such links.

You should ask your GM what level he intends to start the campaign at.

AkazilliaDeNaro
2010-01-26, 03:25 AM
(darn? dang? dangit? crap? aw screw it al of the above)
so well thanks any way